Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Two things: one, bettersnaptool owns bones and should be investigated for any multidisplay user.

Two: the dmg burn trick works on lion final.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

CrackTsunami posted:

From Twitter:
http://twitter.com/!/akulbe/status/93671370533244929
The build number for the MAS release of Lion is 11A494. The GM seed is newer.

Edit: derp. I'm dumb.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Bootcamp is not affected. XCode 3 does not work with Lion.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Make sure you update gfxcardstatus for lion support
http://codykrieger.com/gfxCardStatus

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

El Jackalope posted:

I'm downloading Lion for my MBP at home right now, but I have 2 machines at work that I would like to upgrade (they are my macs, this isn't a :files: question since we are allowed 5 installs per Lion purchase) but they are connected to lovely, lovely DSL. Trying to download a 3.5 gig file on those crap phonelines would be bullshit, so can I just throw the .dmg file onto a usb stick and upgrade the work macs via that?

Do it before you install Lion on your machine, it will delete the installer after you install it.

Strange that XCode 3 works for you, it flat out refused to install when I upgraded.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

El Jackalope posted:

Edit: is the location for that in the Downloads folder once it's done dling from the App Store?

I believe it's in /Applications and called Mac OS X Lion Installer or something or perhaps Install Mac OS X Lion

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Dan Hollis posted:

Does full-screen work on existing apps or only for apps made with Lion in mind?

Only on apps made for Lion. Parallels 6 works fine, 5 does not.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I can't stand Safari... For work there might be times where I'm doing a lot of copy/paste from context on our backend into the url bar, going back to get a password and then pushing enter on the url bar.

In safari unless it's a new window if you click off the url bar everything you typed vanishes. gently caress you Safari. Even with Chrome being "broken" as-is I haven't had issues using it. I'm actually using the Canary build which has fixed scroll bars and they removed the full screen so I guess they're working on fixing it entirely. It's useless on a 3 monitor setup so I could care less and I don't have this stupid Safari problem. Gestures still broken tho.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Anjow posted:

Has anyone got sshfs working in Lion, and how?

I installed Lion and it stopped working, and I'd installed sshfs quite a while ago and have since forgotten how I did it. I can only find source code when I google for it, and I'm sure I didn't compile it myself last time. Can anyone enlighten me as to the easiest way to make it work again?

IIRC you need MacFUSE for that. You gotta troll around on Google and find some beta build that someone made because the one on Google Code is ancient as gently caress and doesn't work. If you look in your Console you should see an error message every time you try to use sshfs. Google the error and the beta build should pop up.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Petey posted:

:siren:PUT THIS IN THE OP PLEASE:siren:

(it turns off stupid animations when you start a program)

I wish someone would figure out how to disable that stupid IOS correction typing thing system-wide. I hate having to disable it on every application.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

nwin posted:

So with Lion, I'm guessing the Gestures are available only if you have a new imac with the new keyboard or if you have a macbook with a touchpad, right? The rest of us with year old imacs and mouse don't get to do the gestures?

Stupid question I'm guessing, but I figured I would ask.

You just need a multitouch capable mouse/touch pad for it to work.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Binary Badger posted:

Oh look what showed up in Software Update just now..

The last two are known showstoppers that I'm glad they finally loving fixed.

For all of you still on Snow Leopard, get it here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1430

I'm afraid to update my HTPC to 10.6.8 and have to reinstall again.. Has it been confirmed if this fixes it?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Granite Octopus posted:

I must be the unluckiest son of a bitch.

1. Upgraded my 13" MBP to Lion, which is 2 months out of warranty. Now I can't connect external displays to it any more. The whole system just crashes. This is my main work machine, so for the past week I've been coding on the tiny 13" screen. Spaces have actually made this bearable though.

2. Upgraded my 2011 17" iMac to Lion, and I have the horrible bug where playing any video (flash, html5, quicktime, iTunes) will cause the whole machine to lock up. Every time.

I really, really hope they fix that video crashing thing soon. It's pretty serious. Though, I am a lot more productive now that I can't browse youtube or watch movies :/

Is the 13" a 2011? The latest video drivers are kind of buggy and are causing people issues. There are people that said on the gfxcardstatus bug report that their 2011 MBP can only do external display on ATI when in Snow Leopard they would work with both. Me thinks a few version updates should fix that.

Have you tried chrome in regards to flash/html5? I had that problem with safari on my 27" and haven't really had issues in chrome. Sometimes in iTunes I'll have a lag but I've yet to have a full lockup on my system.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Hold command or ctrl I forget which, click it and drag it off the menu bar.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Terpfen posted:

I've never had a single crash in any 10.x.0 version. Ever.

You never used 10.0.0 or 10.1.0 then. Hooooly poo poo did they suck

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

SourKraut posted:

I do love though how there were quite a few systems that, while initially listed as supporting OS X when it was released, really had no business using it.

I had a sawtooth with blazing fast 2GB PC133 ram hacked in w/ overclock so it ran at 500MHz on a 450MHz proc and a reflashed TNT2. God did it suck trying to use OSX on that fucker but I felt like such a badass.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Small White Dragon posted:

Am I the only one who's shocked that 10.7.1 isn't out yet?

Since they seeded 10.7.2 to developers, yes.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Martytoof posted:

Can anyone remember the name of that little paid app that sat in your menubar and let you tidily resize windows using a little grid? It was great for resizing apps to use exactly 50% of the screen, then you could rearrange your other smaller apps to use the remainder logically, etc.

I am drawing a blank.

I don't think your question was answered, but it's BetterSnapTool.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Appachai posted:

That's crazy. Do I need to have anti-malware stuff too like ad-aware or malwarebytes?

Short answer, no.

Long answer, disable automatic execution of files from Safari in the preferences. Reason being so far the malicious vectors of malware have been through websites exploiting this feature in Safari and get the malware on your system. Don't pirate applications as they also have been known to have malware injected in them as well. If your system randomly asks for your password to make changes and you aren't installing an application from a trusted source or doing things like keychain modification click Cancel and you're pretty much protected.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

japtor posted:

Wasn't Lion supposed to have a notifications system built in?

Open up terminal and run this... make sure you switch to a different window after and you will see Lion notifications
code:
sleep 5; printf "\a"

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Hate the new tab page in Google Chrome 15 as much as I do?

code:
Sams-iMac:MacOS sampson$ mv Google\ Chrome Google\ Chromee
Sams-iMac:MacOS sampson$ vim Google\ Chrome
Sams-iMac:MacOS sampson$ chmod +x Google\ Chrome
Sams-iMac:MacOS sampson$ cat Google\ Chrome
#!/bin/bash
/Applications/Google\ Chrome.app/Contents/MacOS/Google\ Chromee --new-tab-page
Sams-iMac:MacOS sampson$

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Fayk posted:

That just seems like a crazy hack (I don't use Chrome) - surely there's a plist setting or something, no?

Not that I could find. With all the radical changes and breaking of Chrome I just can't take it anymore. I could totally switch to Safari for my browser if there was a way to fix one thing and I'm hoping you guys could help. My issue can be seen thusly: In safari open a new tab and type a url in the bar but don't push enter yet. Switch back to the previous tab and then back to the new tab and the url bar is blank. HOW DO I MAKE SAFARI NOT DO THAT?!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

yaoi prophet posted:

Sometimes on my macbook pro with Lion I'll get a small box of horizontal stripes showing up on a random spot on a screen. This tends to happen more often when playing youtube videos, but it doesn't always happen, and it goes away if I alt-tab back and forth a few times. Am I going to have to take this in to replace the graphics card?

I get that on my iMac at times. I blame flash.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Dunno if this has been posted here but if you use parallels like me and can't stand the constant ads it looks like they gave a loving fix
http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=107084

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Not sure if this is a software or hardware question, a little of both I guess.

Anyways, I'm getting a game which *must* be played on a genesis. I have a plasma tv and don't want to destroy it from the static sprite locations these games typically have and want to play it on my iMac. What is the cheapest capture card I can use on a 2011 iMac that will get a 480i coax analog signal?

Edit: I guess if composite can be done much cheaper I could look into procuring a composite video cable as well.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 20, 2012

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Is there a way to remove a resolution from a monitor in OSX? I have two external displays hooked up to my iMac via HDMI because my dvi cables would cause them to artifact like crazy. Long story short Blizzard games always default to 1080i instead of 1080p when I select 1920x1080 on the display which causes the game to look like rear end. There were workarounds for WoW and SC2 but unfortunately they do not work on D3 and require paid software. The easiest method would just be to tell OSX that 1080i doesn't exist on my monitor because I have no use for it. Any help appreciated.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So is there any way to enable the retina display scaling from the MBP on an iMac? I'd buy a second 27" monitor if I could run these at "1080p" and not look like blurry rear end. I use the 720p HiDPI mode which works great, but I need more real-estate for my work apps.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

tofes posted:

Everything is updated, I even tried installing beta and canary chrome to see if those fix it. Other people are having the same problem: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4028778?start=0&tstart=0

This looks exactly like the crash I was having testing some development stuff in Mountain Lion. I'm going to guess the drivers in the Lion build for MBPR and Mountain Lion are very similar which could cause this. If you *MUST* use chrome, try getting gfxcardstatus and forcing your laptop to the nvidia chipset only and see if it persists. In my 2011 MBP ML would cause kernel panics whenever the integrated/dedicated gpus switched. Really annoying for coding so I gave up working on ML.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Try ditching Firefox and using only Chrome or Safari for a bit and see if it helps. Firefox is a turd in OSX, or at least it was before I forced myself to get used to Chrome 2 years ago.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Modern Pragmatist posted:

What brightness setting do you have it on? At least in my experience, the screen brightness is the biggest factor affecting battery life.

Also, that 500 MB seems really big. I haven't rebooted my machine in about 3 weeks and Dock is using 54 MB of RAM.

Same on mine... do you have a lot of icons on your dock? That could be part of the excessive ram usage on it. What does the memory tab look like?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Isn't Dock an all-encompassing process for Mission Control, Launchpad, and the Dashboard? He might have a lot of widgets, or maybe just a ton of windows open.

I have uhhhh..... 25 windows open currently encompassing 12 applications and I am only using 53MB in my dock according to activity monitor. Oh and 5 widgets on the dashboard.

However, I do not use Mission Control. So unless he beats that I gotta :raise:

The thing that I find interesting is that dock uses more than kernel_task which has always been #1 on my system.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So I got a $100 Apple/iTunes gift card... and there's nothing I want :saddowns:

I already own every app I need for osx that is available in the App Store, sans Mountain Lion but having just gotten a new macbook that upgrade is covered free I think.

On my iPad the only application I don't own I could maybe want is iSSH. I guess I'll buy that and sit on $90 credit for a year. Does the credit ever expire?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

It doesn't expire, and last year I bought like 6 or 7 of them on SA-Mart for ~$80 apiece. Let me know if you want to sell it. It's good for iOS/OS X App Store and iTunes. I ended up using it up over the course of a year on music.

I already redeemed it so not gonna happen. I'm sure things will come out that I want i.e Baulder Gates Enhanced Edition

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Bob Morales posted:

What options are there for apps that organize Terminal/iTerm windows?

At any given time I have about 10 open, as I do web development. I usually have a Rails log open on my machine, a Rails console on my machine, 2-3 just regular terminal windows open on my machine, then 2 into the main production server, 1 in a staging server, 2 in cloud servers, and then maybe an IRC window or something.

First I thought I would find or make something that tiles them - but I always have them in different font sizes and window sizes so that makes no sense. I might have some massive window open for vim, like 180x70, then I might have a 250x15 window open to watch Apache/mail logs, and then I have 90x30 windows open for 'regular' stuff.

I tried using tabs but that doesn't work for me because it makes all the windows the same size, and I can only see one window at a time, and I have to play whack-a-mole to find the one I want.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bettersnaptool/id417375580?mt=12

It's sweet and it also supports keyboard shortcuts so you can be like ctrl+alt+numpad 1,3,7,9 or say 0 to move to next screen etc

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Lexicon posted:

Is it possible to set network interface ordering on a per-application basis? I'm onsite at a client, and I need to be connected to their network over Ethernet, however they must be blocking Gmail IMAP as my Sparrow mail client won't connect to Gmail. When I switch over to my tethered iPhone, Sparrow grabs the mail no problem.

Can I direct Sparrow to use the tethered interface, and send all other traffic over Ethernet?

That would require figuring out which ips gmail needs to use and then using the route command as root via terminal to force them over the other interface.

I.e I use a work vpn and if I do netstat -nr I can see the routes my vpn sets up:

code:
default            192.168.1.1        UGSc           69        0     en0
10                 123.123.123.123       UGSc            0        0   utun1
This means 10.0.0.0/8 is routed through the vpn, a command something like:
route add -net 10.0.0.0/8 123.123.123.123

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Lexicon posted:

Yeah, I thought about a solution like this, but I was hoping to avoid it because the IPs for gmail IMAP are likely to change on a relatively frequent basis. Is it possible to instead route all types of traffic, rather than route certain IPs?

If there is a range that the client uses you could use route to only route those, then everything else through the iPhone

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
https://github.com/zwaldowski/DZAINotificationCenterPlugin

Anyone ever try this with Adium on Mountain Lion?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

I can see why Apple is only charging :20bux: for Mountain Lion. If it cost any more it would be a bit of a tough sell, especially if you're not a heavy iOS user or have a Mac older than a 2011 model. To expand a bit, the iCloud integration is really nice and further enhances the symbiotic relationship between Macs and iPads/iPhones, but if you're an Android user then you really don't care about Reminders or Notes syncing.

In regards to the 2011 Mac stuff: you need a fairly new Mac if you want to use any of the nifty new features like PowerNap or AirPlay Mirroring. I assume Apple is using QuickSync (which is on Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge CPUs) for AirPlay Mirroring, but it would be nice if my 2010 iMac could do it at the expense of higher CPU usage. Here's hoping a .plist modification will make it possible without resorting to a complete third-party solution.

Oddly enough, the feature that seems most-overlooked by previews (and Apple doesn't mention it because it seems like admitting a mistake) is the return of proper Expose. There's now a checkbox in Mission Control's preferences that removes window grouping by application and basically shows you every window at once, like Expose used to be.

Too bad full screen is still useless on multi-monitor setups.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Apple's never been able to get animated .gifs right, regardless of context or application.

To be fair it took Google quite a while to not suck at animated gifs in Chrome as well, just not as much as Apple fucks it up.

I'm still legit mad about the fullscreen because I would totally use it if I could do chrome on one monitor, terminal on the other and use my imac display for gently caress-all else. I don't need my dock and the maximize button doesn't make the window take up the whole window on browsers >:[

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
No transmit love? I'll admit I stole it for a long time but once I got that credit first thing I bought