Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Lmfao I loving hate that stupid little gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
He's short so that explains a lot of that stuff.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Parrotine posted:

I don't think I can go the refurbished route TBH, i've heard (and personally experienced) too many negative experiences when going down that path. :(
Really? How?

The only real problem with refurbs is you have to wait like 6-8 months for them to start showing up in the store and then you gotta watch close for a configuration you want, but they make trackers for that.

I was under the impression that Apple refurbs we're actually better than new quality since they actually go over everything before selling it.

My last 3 Mac purchases have been refurbs and I haven't had any issues and I've saved probably $5000 off of retail from them (granted the majority of that was on an iMac Pro).

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Just drop 7k on an iMac Pro and stop worrying about upgrades.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The new mini has basically the same io as an iMac Pro which is pretty cool.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

EL BROMANCE posted:

Didn't Woot or one of the similar stores end up with a huge batch of stolen product that one time?
That was Meh (the original woot guys who left when it was bought by Amazon) and a company claimed they had stolen goods because they were selling them for below market value and Meh complied and let the cops come check out the lot number and they were deemed not stolen.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

jokes posted:

For whom? He oversaw miniaturization during a stagnation of processor capabilities that are now capped out on efficiency. Normal user processor performance is nowhere near full utilization. We're just gonna see bigger batteries instead of billions in R&D to eke out 10% greater efficiency in a chip.
Uhhhh

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's missing this though.

https://twitter.com/GraceSpelman/status/1112746622138621958

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
If you look at the design of the Magic Mouse you'll easily see that it's not really practical to put a charging port on either the front or back of the device. Since they were already retooling the machine mold for the bottom of the device to remove the battery compartment, adding the port there was the easiest solution. This also means that once every month you have to lay your mouse on the side while it charges for approximately 20 minutes.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Electric Bugaloo posted:

the right year of mac mini to buy, apparently...
:laugh:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

FCKGW posted:

this isn't true though
Nah the short angry YouTube guy said so.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I write 300k words a week and I think it's fine, actually.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
That's not a real before and after.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
OBS is broken on macOS and ridiculously CPU intensive. Idk what the fan system is like in the Mini or if there are any 3rd party controllers for it but you could try that, although I'd imagine if you were at 90 they'd already be at max.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah I use iStat to monitor on my iMac. Streaming with OBS + Gaming I've never seen it get above 60 though.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Please don't post that turds awful videos in this thread lest the dreaded algorithm assumes I want to see more of that content.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't feel like there's a discernible difference. Find whatever fits your budget the best.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Electric Bugaloo posted:

When did the Mac mini have any battery life?

Or was that the joke?
The joke was that it's the size of a Mini. The battery life comment was separate.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I get they're going for nostalgia here but that thing is incredibly ugly lol.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
That display looks hype but lol am I happy I went with a refurb iMac Pro last year.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Another 1k for the matte finish as well.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Electric Bugaloo posted:

So you could run non-MPX GPUs in there. Like if you wanted to.
Why could you possibly want to? I'm perfectly sure that the MPX devices offered by Apple will be reasonably priced. |>

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Every single tech YouTuber with over 500k subscribers is going to buy a maxed out $15,000 Pro to put in the back of all of their videos.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I wonder how long it will take for these to start showing up on the refurb store. 15% off of a $18,000 system would be pretty spicy.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't think Apple cares about offering an upgradable computer to the prosumer range.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
That guy has a really annoying writing style.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
He's right in the fact that the most impressive things announced in the keynote were the little behind the scenes features that improve user privacy but he has the worst way of getting to the point.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Shaocaholica posted:

Apple should make a pro keyboard using its butterfly mech and charge $999 for it :smuggo:

Escape Goat posted:

Plus 99$ for the keyboard legs :smuggo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4mY4FHyT80

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
There's no fixed keyboard. There's merely varying levels of broken keyboards.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The ARM chips are going to be more impressive than you think, and 90% of their pro machines are thermal throttled down to less than pro levels anyway.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

LionArcher posted:

Anybody hating on Jony is a joke.
Nice to meet you Jony.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The Pros don't have user upgradable ram, or at least not easily accessible, so that probably puts a 64GB spec out of your price range.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Generally the people who buy these types of machines are doing so with an expense account so they don't really care about the value of it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

redeyes posted:

As if designing a battery compartment IS WAY TOO HARD FOR THOSE POOR APPLE ENGINEERS. PFFT. What a crock.
Read > Comprehend > Post

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Then they shouldn’t exist. :colbert:

They have an 18 month lifespan and then the internal components, which are covered in beads of glue, go into the ground, and that’s disgusting.
Buddy I've got some bad news for you...

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't think Ives wants to design computers or cares about more money. I don't think anyone is going to hire him to make a rival laptop.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Binary Badger posted:

Pretty much this; he's probably not a materials person, if you told him "Jony, we can't get the metal to curve the way you wanted" he'd scream "Well bloody go find a fecking metal that CAN do my curve, is that so hard you git"

Even if the butterfly wasn't his direct creation, he likely ordered it be done in order to preserve his ego design and likely dragged in some intern to finish the keyboard with no concept or experience in materials science who literally pulled the bill of materials for the cursed keyboards out of his rear end, optimizing it for cheapest bullshit price.

People who knew what they were doing stepped in later and tried to put a band-aid on the damage by putting in the silicon condoms, altering the metal used for the 'bump,' closing off air ports with mesh, but it was too little too late.

The 2016-2018 rMBP is the example and along with the mountain of gold 10K Apple Watches sitting in a bunker somewhere, probably the main reasons he's out, IMHO. He probably told the rest of Apple "Don't you worry about the bloody keyboard, it'll work itself out" over and over until the money they were spending on top cases (which include a whole new battery, trackpad and keyboard) was eating into rMBP profits. Also, becoming the laughing stock of the industry because of those keyboards..
This is a really weird and creepy post.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I wonder what "about as well" actually means.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Seems like it should be pretty easy to determine if the issue with the keyboard is caused by the faulty design or if it was caused by water damage. Even if the stickers are triggered that doesn't mean it actually has any water damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You would have brushed the hardware escape button as well because you're fat and uncoordinated. Stop blaming Apple for all of your life's problems.