Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
ok. am i crazy? i STILL havent found a usb-c to displayport cord that my m1 max macbook fuckin recognizes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Really enjoying my new Studio Display. Just a gorgeous screen and works great.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Yeast posted:

Did you get regular or the nano-coating?

I'm enjoying the standard, but the idea of returning one and getting one with it is tempting (to help replicate print/paper).

I got the regular; I do have some sunlight at my desk in the early afternoon, but I positioned the monitor decently to mitigate, so I just don't see the benefit.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

benisntfunny posted:

Which stand? I assume standard because you have it already?

Yeah, that's right. It is barely needs-suiting for me, but to be honest, it isn't perfect, and I can see how a different setup would make it kind of lovely.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Ok Comboomer posted:

“Barely needs-suiting” isn’t acceptable for any product from Apple in 2022, much less one that starts at $1500.

People need to stop making excuses for the richest company in the world. It’s not 2002 anymore, Apple’s not going to go bankrupt because Microsoft farted in their general direction or whatever.

it's just a monitor stand. it's fine. it can be barely needs-suiting. i'm fine with it being barely needs-suiting. please, please calm down. this is embarrassing and coloring a ton of people's opinions about you.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

okay? that's fine. don't need to bring that hateful energy here, friend.

criticizing apple products is fine ofc. but you're just..raging at everyone and everything in the thread.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Ok Comboomer posted:

this is SomethingAwful. Have you considered going to r/Apple or r/Mac, or maybe even MacRumors, for the energy you seek?

yea mate if your posts were funny you'd have a point

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

sometimes seeing other people happy is the worst thing to happen to someone :)

in the meantime, has anyone got experience daisychaining thunderbolt 4 output to hdmi input? wanna see if I can't do some fancy science on another monitor I have

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

the audio on this is really great too btw, not sure why i like it so much

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

it's just the bad posting.

but also aren't the gpus real good at some ML? like that was a whole thing

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

well that blows :smith:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

i didnt know i was such a bitch for colored aluminum, but here i am

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

that touchpad gives me huge amounts of anxiety

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

yeah KVMs that can do quality outputs are priiicey

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Smythe posted:

not really, jeff gets salty if you give out too many freebies.

can u send some good vibes at least? this was some good posting

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

hell yeah

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Yeast posted:

Mac Studio has shipped 4 weeks early. :getin:

gently caress yeah. let us know how it goes :)

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

these last 2 years have been such a turnaround for mac hardware, things were really dire back in 2018

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

hahahahaholy poo poo im so sorry

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Yeast posted:

It'll be like nano texture glass, a black bezel is simply a $500 upgrade

lmao

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

i really thought the webcam patch would make it look at least as good as, well, the devices apple cribbed the hardware from. this is pretty awful lmao

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

retpocileh posted:

Rumor has it that the M2 Pro / Max / Ultra chips are gonna be produced on TSMC's 3nm node instead of the 5nm node they're using for the base M2 chips:

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/06/27/m2-pro-chip-3nm-report/

:eyepop:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

American McGay posted:

It would be cool if Mx MacBooks had multiple monitor support, a feature one might expect when purchasing a $2400 laptop.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

The Lord Bude posted:

People who buy MBAs are overwhelmingly not using or wanting to use multiple displays though; and MBAs are not intended for the sort of people who are going want to plug their computer into a multi screen setup. We keep having this deeply silly argument. The statistics are pretty clear - 90% of Mac owners do not use an external display at all. The majority of the remaining 10% use a single display. Multi display setups are extremely uncommon. I’d wager they’re extremely uncommon even in the PC space; and I’d be willing to bet they are becoming increasingly less common now that we can quite easily buy giant rear end 30” monitors or 38” ultra wides; all of which do a better job of giving you more screen real estate than multiple smaller monitors with bezels and poo poo getting in the way. The market for people who need multiple monitors and also very explicitly don’t need or want the extra performance of an m1 pro would be incredibly small.

The MBA is a laptop for home users, students and people who sit in Starbucks all day. The 13” pro is a weird variant that seems to have no purpose beyond making the 14” pro look better and using up some big giant warehouse of touchbar parts.

ok but this is dumb as hell actually. cause like, if they just supported multiple monitors it'd work fine. they don't because they know they get extra money upcharging for it. that's all. it's dumb. sorry!!

Ok Comboomer posted:

funny how a lot of the people complaining the most about this are the same ones who defended spending $1400-1900 on a 5K display with a crappy gimmick webcam that should’ve cost maybe half as much in order to be justifiable

Just saying, if you can afford to drop $3-4 grand on some monitors then surely you can afford the additional $200 to make sure you bought a machine with an Mx Pro or higher, right?

posted from my 5k studio display and feeling great. god i love using great products :unsmith:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Tiny Timbs posted:

“Yeah it sucks and is inexcusable for the price but here’s a way to get around it at least” is one approach, but perhaps it’s more traditional to go “you’re wrong for wanting to do it.”

lol. "You're holding it wrong!!" but for monitors

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

this genuinely gets me everytime lol. just turn on the firmware bit that lets folks use multiple monitors with a macbook air timb apple

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Ok Comboomer posted:

personally I like my computer to still have a bit of mystery and inscrutability about it, makes it feel like it’s a living thing with a personality and a will of its own, you know?—like a cat or a wife or a catgirl wife.

i get your point but computers are actually more inscrutable than i think they've ever been! back in the day you really could understand every component and exactly how it worked.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

been letting apple engineers optimize my charging for years and my battery health for all my devices is in the 90s-percent. love my studio display. doing great in the mac hardware thread :tipshat:

has apple made the apple tags less easy for stalkers to use? real question, ive been considering some but that feels like a real issue

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

American McGay posted:

I think they’ve addressed the issue with multiple updates, but you’ll have to search it out yourself if you want the specifics.

One I remember seeing was that your iPhone will alert you to the presence of an AirTag that’s not registered to you traveling with you. That solution is slightly problematic because it requires you to own the Apple product in order to be protected against the faults of the other Apple product, but for the purposes of this thread I’m guessing it would be a decent solution.

yeah, i remember that too, and do have an iPhone so that's not bad. i'll do some digging and Post Back with my decision/findings.

^^ agree they have better tools available but 2022 just sucks ok why add more

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

prom candy posted:

I switched to fish from zsh on my new mac and I'm loving it

what are the big diffs you're loving? besides theming

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

anothergod posted:

Wait are people here saying the $1200 base M2 MBA is a good buy compared to a $850 M1 MBA?

no i think the thread's take is that the $850 is a way better value but if midnight black is what you need you wont be upset at the M2

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

i prefer the powerbeats pro just bc the over ear thing makes it so the airpods dont go flyin out at random. otherwise yea airpods are fine too. but heck any headset u like will work, live ur life

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

SlowBloke posted:

Apple seems to be pushing for this one for the studio but reviews are mixed

https://www.apple.com/studio-display/

:lmao:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

i know it was a funny joke. i was laughing at the joke u made. the joke u made made me react with the lmao emoji.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

my studio display looks good, i dunno what to say. it's a Retina Display, op

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Evis posted:

I kinda regret not getting 64gb of ram because of some of the work I do needing that, but I should probably be renting time on GCP/AWS for that and just launching a spot instance for a few hours.

fwiw i have 64gb and i dont think ive ever approached it. i really need to figure out a workflow i can, uh, create for myself, that will start taxing this bad boy

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

that's good isn't it? window closing suggests greater accuracy

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Ok Comboomer posted:

I still remember when this kind of reality-defying fanboyism could get you banned

it's true, it's not fanboy/girlism. i don't particularly care for Apple products anymore, but there's not really other 5k displays available. stop melting down about this dude

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Baronash posted:

I still chuckle a bit whenever I remember the goon a few months ago who was insistent that the Studio Display was an absolute necessity for working professionals like them with specific use cases, and then that use case turned out to be word processing or whatever.

:goonsay: "How can you expect me to edit a word document with fewer than 14 million pixels?!"

lol i mean i cant complain, i code which is essentially word processing but i love my pretty bits :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Ok Comboomer posted:

I still chuckle at the mod who thought that replacing a perfectly good and clever Gorillaz reference in the title with something as lifeless and cringe as “5K Supremacy” as a way to show solidarity with the fanboys and bellyachers was a net positive for the thread

Mod sass. User loses posting privileges for 1 day.