Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Hasturtium posted:

Yes, absolutely. I wouldn’t buy an 8GB machine in 2022, and it’s ridiculous that Apple offers them at boutique pricing.

"Hi I want a Mac for the most menial of tasks"

"Make sure not to get the base one"

Edit: absolutely the base MBA is the one you want if all you want is email social media forums and Netflix. Hell, you can do amateur photo and movie editing, too. Welcome to 2022 baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

prom candy posted:

I WILL NEVER REBIND CAPS LOCK

REJECT CAPSLOCK, EMBRACE LEFT SHIFT

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Anybody who says a computer with 8gb of ram isn’t enough for basic webrowsing/Netflix/email/MSoffice and even light casual photo/video editing is completely divorced from reality.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

anothergod posted:

"Hi I want a Mac for the most menial of tasks"

"Make sure not to get the base one"

Edit: absolutely the base MBA is the one you want if all you want is email social media forums and Netflix. Hell, you can do amateur photo and movie editing, too. Welcome to 2022 baby

He asked for advice, and when he said “the lifetime of the machine” I figured he meant that he wanted to keep it for a number of years. 8GB will do, but I wouldn’t do it for a machine I paid for. In the scheme of the machine’s cost it isn’t a big ask to jump to 16GB, and it’s future-proofing. You can’t unmake the decision with Apple Silicon - it just seems better to me to pay a little extra.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Its become moot, I got given a 2019 macbook air. It runs hot and ain't got the battery life, but it should be fit for purpose.

Hasturtium posted:

He asked for advice, and when he said “the lifetime of the machine” I figured he meant that he wanted to keep it for a number of years. 8GB will do, but I wouldn’t do it for a machine I paid for. In the scheme of the machine’s cost it isn’t a big ask to jump to 16GB, and it’s future-proofing. You can’t unmake the decision with Apple Silicon - it just seems better to me to pay a little extra.

Unfortunately, the 'little' here is ~24% of the base price; an investment in an already expensive item, but not trivial. But yeah, will it still be good enough / do I want to bet my needs won't change in 5+ years is the operative question. Once you don't have enough ram a machine stops being useful vs. potentially wasting money.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 3, 2022

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Hasturtium posted:

How big an impediment is the Touch Bar in your day to day use?

Zero. I have it set to 'Touch Bar shows expanded control strip' in SysPref > Keyboard and in that config it does exactly what the physical buttons used to do. I think it's a gimmick, but I don't get the pathological hate for it. I can control screen brightness, media playback, volume—it's fine.

Twerk from Home posted:

It's the escape key. A good portion of computer touchers regularly use the escape key and the touchbar is horrible at being an escape key. Sure, you could rebind it and re-learn, but every keyboard since the teletype days has had an escape key until the touchbar, why should we rebind it?

13 M1 MBP has a physical escape key, and even the 16-inch 2019s had a physical one.

Jeherrin fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jul 3, 2022

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

anothergod posted:

Why are people who do basically nothing w/ their laptops waiting to buy a MacBook Pro?

Like, get the Macbook Air for $1000 right now. Or wait for the vanity of an M2 MBA. What will the MBP do for you that the Air won't?

I was going to buy an M1 air at the time but then the refurb store was selling the M1 Pro for the same price.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

anothergod posted:

Like, get the Macbook Air for $1000 right now. Or wait for the vanity of an M2 MBA. What will the MBP do for you that the Air won't?

Let me work with 2 spreadsheets at once side by side

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

track day bro! posted:

I was going to buy an M1 air at the time but then the refurb store was selling the M1 Pro for the same price.

Yes luck is an effective strategy on par with being born rich and pockets overflowing with money

Brain Issues posted:

Let me work with 2 spreadsheets at once side by side

2560 pixels isn't enough but 3000 pixels wide is?

anothergod fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 3, 2022

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

anothergod posted:

2560 pixels isn't enough but 3000 pixels wide is?

Referring to support of dual monitors.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

prom candy posted:

I WILL NEVER REBIND CAPS LOCK

Thousands of years of progress and we're probably indefinitely stuck with a useless key taking up too much space on every computer. Humans are weird.

EDIT: Putting the backspace a row down also feels so much better. Colemak is pretty nice too...

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Brain Issues posted:

Referring to support of dual monitors.

While yeah it's kind of annoying that M1 Macs don't do dual monitors, it's kind of a weird place. If you already have the monitors, you just buy a display link adapter, and you're good. If you are buying monitors, you can get a 4k for the price of 2 1080p monitors. It's really just the casual "power user" that gets hosed in this situation. You don't make enough money from your laptop to justify buying super-useful displaylink adapter, but you do have enough money to buy a computer to play around with... it's just kind of awkward all around.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Running my M1 side by side with my Gigabyte display is pretty great. Plenty for me. It’s Ok if it’s not for you.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

anothergod posted:

While yeah it's kind of annoying that M1 Macs don't do dual monitors, it's kind of a weird place. If you already have the monitors, you just buy a display link adapter, and you're good. If you are buying monitors, you can get a 4k for the price of 2 1080p monitors. It's really just the casual "power user" that gets hosed in this situation. You don't make enough money from your laptop to justify buying super-useful displaylink adapter, but you do have enough money to buy a computer to play around with... it's just kind of awkward all around.

A terrible hack like DisplayLink absolutely is not a replacement for real multi-monitor support.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Just get one giant monitor

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Criss-cross posted:

A terrible hack like DisplayLink absolutely is not a replacement for real multi-monitor support.

Displaylink has been around for almost twenty years, is free for the end user, and at least my fortune 500 company supplies display link adapters at every desk.

Edit: also exactly what prom candy said.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Criss-cross posted:

The only core issue of displaylink is poo poo 3d gaming support, something that nobody is going to worry about in macs. Anything else is acceptable.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

anothergod posted:

Displaylink has been around for almost twenty years, is free for the end user, and at least my fortune 500 company supplies display link adapters at every desk.

Edit: also exactly what prom candy said.

It also has been really bad for 20 years. Just because your Fortune 500 company supplies them doesn't make the technology any good.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

My reservation with DisplayLink is that it is entirely dependent on software, and Apple have shown no interest in verifying that whatever they are doing with their OS isn't breaking it in some way. It's more of a viable option on Windows because breaking changes don't happen as frequently.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Criss-cross posted:

It also has been really bad for 20 years. Just because your Fortune 500 company supplies them doesn't make the technology any good.

Show us on the doll where apple hurt you

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

anothergod posted:

Show us on the doll where apple hurt you

DisplayLink has absolutely nothing to do with Apple.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It would be cool if Mx MacBooks had multiple monitor support, a feature one might expect when purchasing a $2400 laptop.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

It is a feature for the $2000+ model.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it’s a conspiracy to sell more sidecars

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields
Is there any way to interface LocalTalk with wifi?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

The trackpad on my 16" 2019 MBP seems to have lost some oomph. I don't get a lot of feedback from clicks and on the edges I have to press down very hard. Is this a common thing for these models?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

American McGay posted:

It would be cool if Mx MacBooks had multiple monitor support, a feature one might expect when purchasing a $2400 laptop.

Can't wait until Apple stops selling the 13" MBP so people who only read Youtube video titles stop saying dumb poo poo like this

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

American McGay posted:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Diorama posted:

Is there any way to interface LocalTalk with wifi?

https://68kmla.org/bb/index.php?thr...-13#post-447531

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

anothergod posted:

My fortune 500 replaced every single dock that was using DisplayLink garbage with a real TB3 dock due to user complaints.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Imagine paying $1200-$2500 for a laptop and a dock and then having to keep an app running on your laptop 24/7 to use your monitors while getting worse external display performance than a $300 chromebook would give you. That's M1/M2 Macbook Air & Macbook Pro multiple display life.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

In an optimal world people aren't using the MBA with multiple monitors and gaming but YMMV

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

People who buy MBAs are overwhelmingly not using or wanting to use multiple displays though; and MBAs are not intended for the sort of people who are going want to plug their computer into a multi screen setup. We keep having this deeply silly argument. The statistics are pretty clear - 90% of Mac owners do not use an external display at all. The majority of the remaining 10% use a single display. Multi display setups are extremely uncommon. I’d wager they’re extremely uncommon even in the PC space; and I’d be willing to bet they are becoming increasingly less common now that we can quite easily buy giant rear end 30” monitors or 38” ultra wides; all of which do a better job of giving you more screen real estate than multiple smaller monitors with bezels and poo poo getting in the way. The market for people who need multiple monitors and also very explicitly don’t need or want the extra performance of an m1 pro would be incredibly small.

The MBA is a laptop for home users, students and people who sit in Starbucks all day. The 13” pro is a weird variant that seems to have no purpose beyond making the 14” pro look better and using up some big giant warehouse of touchbar parts.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

The Lord Bude posted:

People who buy MBAs are overwhelmingly not using or wanting to use multiple displays though

i’m one of them

got absolutely no need for the horsepower of a $2k m1 pro, but it’s dumb as hell that when i sit down at my desk to get a bit of work done, one of my monitors is unusable

it’s not a complete dealbreaker, i can live with that annoyance for an otherwise great machine, no computer is perfect. but it is a dumb limitation and i’m never going to stop pointing it out, especially as they’ve carried it through to the m2 generation

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Brain Issues posted:

Imagine paying $1200-$2500 for a laptop and a dock and then having to keep an app running on your laptop 24/7 to use your monitors while getting worse external display performance than a $300 chromebook would give you. That's M1/M2 Macbook Air & Macbook Pro multiple display life.

funny how a lot of the people complaining the most about this are the same ones who defended spending $1400-1900 on a 5K display with a crappy gimmick webcam that should’ve cost maybe half as much in order to be justifiable

Just saying, if you can afford to drop $3-4 grand on some monitors then surely you can afford the additional $200 to make sure you bought a machine with an Mx Pro or higher, right?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

The Lord Bude posted:

People who buy MBAs are overwhelmingly not using or wanting to use multiple displays though; and MBAs are not intended for the sort of people who are going want to plug their computer into a multi screen setup. We keep having this deeply silly argument. The statistics are pretty clear - 90% of Mac owners do not use an external display at all. The majority of the remaining 10% use a single display. Multi display setups are extremely uncommon. I’d wager they’re extremely uncommon even in the PC space; and I’d be willing to bet they are becoming increasingly less common now that we can quite easily buy giant rear end 30” monitors or 38” ultra wides; all of which do a better job of giving you more screen real estate than multiple smaller monitors with bezels and poo poo getting in the way. The market for people who need multiple monitors and also very explicitly don’t need or want the extra performance of an m1 pro would be incredibly small.

The MBA is a laptop for home users, students and people who sit in Starbucks all day. The 13” pro is a weird variant that seems to have no purpose beyond making the 14” pro look better and using up some big giant warehouse of touchbar parts.

ok but this is dumb as hell actually. cause like, if they just supported multiple monitors it'd work fine. they don't because they know they get extra money upcharging for it. that's all. it's dumb. sorry!!

Ok Comboomer posted:

funny how a lot of the people complaining the most about this are the same ones who defended spending $1400-1900 on a 5K display with a crappy gimmick webcam that should’ve cost maybe half as much in order to be justifiable

Just saying, if you can afford to drop $3-4 grand on some monitors then surely you can afford the additional $200 to make sure you bought a machine with an Mx Pro or higher, right?

posted from my 5k studio display and feeling great. god i love using great products :unsmith:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I got excited for a moment at so many new posts, but alas...

Also :lol: at all the Displaylink defenders.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Lady Radia posted:

ok but this is dumb as hell actually. cause like, if they just supported multiple monitors it'd work fine. they don't because they know they get extra money upcharging for it. that's all. it's dumb. sorry!!

posted from my 5k studio display and feeling great. god i love using great products :unsmith:

You have no idea what the technical limitations of the m1/2 are or why they are what they are, so you can’t really say that. I really don’t think Apple looked at people who use multiple monitors and went ‘lol let’s make them spend more’ there would have been a business case that adding the feature into the m1/m2 would cost more, or require x tradeoff; and the number of potential buyers who specifically needed the cheap laptop and multiple monitor support wasn’t large enough to justify it.

Also: posting this from my single Apple studio display.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Have they given a lame excuse about why the M2 can’t do multiple displays or is it just buy the more expensive thing for this feature and if you don’t like it go to hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Ok Comboomer posted:

i'm complaining and i have two basic 1440p monitors that together cost maybe $500, and i don't know what you mean about "the additional $200". it's $1000 extra to jump from the entry m1 air to the entry pro that supports dual monitors.

if there were a $200 upgrade for the air to add native support for a 2nd display, i'd still grumble at having to pay for something so basic, but i'd be grumbling a lot less. you're gonna get an extra $800 worth of grumbling out of me.