Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Housh posted:

I agree. I don't like the size of the 15". Wish I could trade my loaded 2016 15" for a loaded 2017" 13". I haven't used the dGPU much and have a powerful desktop with a NVIDA card at home.

Thirded. I upgraded from a 2013 15" to a 2017 13" and the form factor is much nicer to lug around. I haven't missed the extra screen space or the dGPU to be honest. That said, I don't do much with video nor do I game at all on this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Sigh. Macs are such a shitshow these days.

So I decided I wanted to ghetto KVM a setup at home so I can switch from my Windows laptop to my current-gen MBP on the same monitor, keyboard and mouse. Shouldn't be a big deal:

1) Connect to monitor via two separate inputs, switch between inputs as needed. This part works fine.
2) Peripherals can be wonky, but doesn't Logitech make unified kit specifically designed to switch between Mac and Windows at ease? Yes. Yes, they do.

Got an MX Master 2 (have loved this line of mouse since it came out) and a Craft Keyboard for home.

Everything works fine in Windows, oddly.

In macOS? Hahahah gently caress me. Scroll wheel and buttons on mouse do not work at all, either via the unifying receiver or BT. Googling shows this to be a fairly common problem.

The keyboard, none of the media keys work even when iTunes HAS focus (this is the scenario I care most about). It's like they're not even there.

wtf. Logi forums and support seem to be throwing shade at the macOS BT stack (tho', to be fair, my last-gen MX Master, which I have at work, works fine).

loving hell.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Theophany posted:

Dumb question, but have you installed the Logitech drivers on MacOS? It works just fine switching between for me. That being said, Bluetooth is weak as poo poo and anything but a native USB connection is poo poo (ie don't use USB hubs for the unifying receiver).

Yeah, I went through Logitech Options and installed all the garbage it wants.

I just switched from BT to using the spare Unifying Receiver I have since I have two peripherals and at least the mouse is working correctly now, even though it's jammed into my TB3 dock because lol @ USB-A on a MBP :(

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Literally bought a new 13 MBPt last week. That fucker's getting traded right the gently caress in.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Having an issue with my M1 Macbook Air and looking for any advice:

I want to run one (1) external display on this, preferably in clamshell mode.

That external display is an ASUS ROG 27in QHD 144hz fucker, but has HDMI @ 60hz as well.

Either via a CalDigits Dock (where it goes DP-out via a DP to HDMI cable) or via the official Apple USB-C to HDMI dongle, the HDMI display just... doesn't fuckin' work. I can watch it blip on for a millisecond every other second but it never stabilizes. I can have the laptop open to Sys Prefs - Display and literally watch that widget show an external display then no external display while the main screen blips.

If I connect it via DP on the Dock to DP on the monitor, it works fine, but the single DP port on the monitor is reserved for the gaming PC, as that's the only input that can run at >60hz.

I have access to an M1 Mini and tested that and it's fine and stable over HDMI.

Is anybody having any trouble with using HDMI out on the Air? Any tricks I'm not thinking of? I love this thing otherwise but would prefer to use a bigger display when I'm at my desk.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

smackfu posted:

Yeah, if anyone wants a display now rather than in 3-4 weeks, get one in store today.

Not sure why you can’t do the $8 courier delivery for those, I think those come from the local store.

You can! I couriered a Studio and Studio Display this afternoon, easy-peasey.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

anothergod posted:

Did anyone in this thread actually pony up $1600 for the Studio Display?

Edit: when I used the phrase "actually pony up" I meant "did you trade money for goods" as opposed to "did you think about it"

*raises hand*

I have more money than sense, and I _really, really_ like how macos looks at 5K on a 27" display. I have a Very Good 4K 27" monitor that I had both my Mac and my Windows rig hooked up to and liked that "fine enough", but I knew the minute Apple released a decent 5K monitor (and it is beyond decent) I was buying it.

This will trigger OK Cornboomer or whoever the gently caress, but the stand alone, I've reclaimed like 2 sq ft. of usable desk space from the weird insanely wide big plastic tripod the other monitor uses. I like that. The screen is nicer for 99% of what I use it for which is: staring at text.

The 4K/144hz monitor is now on a side desk with just the Windows machine hooked up to it, and it's great for what I use that machine for (gaming, nothing else).

I'm happy with the split solution. My main work desk is all Apple poo poo that "just works" together quite well, with a minimalist look to it all and I've vastly reduced the cabling nonsense needed to make that desk work (replaced an MBP with a Mac Studio as well, so what cabling there is is easily tucked or hidable).

Yes, it is an expensive-assed solution, but the 4K 27" ASUS ROG wasn't exactly cheap, either, and I will spend money to make minor annoyances in my workflow and lifestyle go away. I'm too old to deal with that poo poo anymore.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

smr posted:

*raises hand*

I have more money than sense, and I _really, really_ like how macos looks at 5K on a 27" display. I have a Very Good 4K 27" monitor that I had both my Mac and my Windows rig hooked up to and liked that "fine enough", but I knew the minute Apple released a decent 5K monitor (and it is beyond decent) I was buying it.

This will trigger OK Cornboomer or whoever the gently caress, but the stand alone, I've reclaimed like 2 sq ft. of usable desk space from the weird insanely wide big plastic tripod the other monitor uses. I like that. The screen is nicer for 99% of what I use it for which is: staring at text.

The 4K/144hz monitor is now on a side desk with just the Windows machine hooked up to it, and it's great for what I use that machine for (gaming, nothing else).

I'm happy with the split solution. My main work desk is all Apple poo poo that "just works" together quite well, with a minimalist look to it all and I've vastly reduced the cabling nonsense needed to make that desk work (replaced an MBP with a Mac Studio as well, so what cabling there is is easily tucked or hidable).

Yes, it is an expensive-assed solution, but the 4K 27" ASUS ROG wasn't exactly cheap, either, and I will spend money to make minor annoyances in my workflow and lifestyle go away. I'm too old to deal with that poo poo anymore.

Also, the webcam isn't great, but it's beyond adequate for my co-workers to stare at my stupid mug on zooms. I like not having a thing stuck on the top of the monitor with a cable dragging behind it, and I'm reasonably confident Apple will fix the issues, which, again, do not prevent using it already today. Annoying, but also: whatevs.

I do not use the speakers as this is also my audio production rig and it outputs to two studio monitors that are like little kisses on my eardrums.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Wheres Wallace posted:

this is why i will irrationally spend more for an older intel-based 5K imac all-in-one editing machine than save with the latest, M1 mac mini that requires cabling solutions and a surge protector for all the peripherals.

I had the 5K Intel iMac and even an M1 Mini VASTLY outperformed that thing. And I have a coupla ipadOS apps I like to run on the Mac, which is not possible on the Intel ones.

That said, I dearly loved that machine, it was a great AIO computer and did provide the neatest possible desktop experience. I tried the M1 iMac and it was lovely but the screen was too small so back it went.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

Have you noticed any of the poor response time/smearing that people reported on the MacBook Pro screen? Have you tried doing anything fast paced on it, like playing a game?

No. The screen on the MBP is absolutely lovely to my eyes. That said, I don’t game on it at all, nothing faster-framed than a hockey broadcast, which looked great.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Data Graham posted:

With the 13/13 Pro the wart is so enormous and multi-elevation even the cases don't lie flat. Even the Apple ones.

I had to buy this enormously thick hard-plastic one that makes it feel like I'm lugging a loving elementary school pencil case around with me but at least it can accomplish the feat of "sit on a table"

What, if you go caseless, does your phone levitate off of the table if you try to lay it down? Does it fly away like a basketball being rejected at the hoop?

I’m looking at my caseless 13 Pro Max sitting on my table right now. Not sure what your issue is.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

I just need to add a bunch of USB-A ports to my Mac Studio, and I’d prefer something that doesn’t look like dogshit and doesn’t have any weird power issues. Is there a consensus for a specific hub or manufacturer for this these days?

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Thanks all. I think I have that 10-port Anker shoved in a drawer somewhere so that should probably be my next option. I guess nothing outstandingly awesome has come out in the last few years.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

I use a Mac Studio at my home/work desk (one and the same these days, thanks COVID!) and have an M2 Air for when I’m on the road or whatever. Don’t like docking/dongling at my desk with an MBP or whatever to cover both scenarios and do have some server things I like to leave running 24/7. The Air is fine for the road, small, light, can cloud me into whatever I need for work or to the home Studio if needed.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

SourKraut posted:

Wow, reading both of those articles, I would still not trust them with any money.

That’s a shame because I have their last product (the vertical dock for Apple Silicon laptops) and it’s a great dock :(

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Canned Sunshine posted:

The Dell G3223Q is pretty well universally regarded given its price point; honestly I almost picked one up to use in lieu of the AW3225QF I picked up, and I've been tempted still to just return the AW3225QF and go with the G3223Q for now given my burn-in paranoia (and because of the continued shipping damage issues I'm having with the AW3225QF).

Another benefit of the G3223Q is that it doesn't really have a gamer aesthetic and it's name is generic enough that you could order it without arising suspicion.

The G3223Q is what I have my Mac Studio hooked up to and it’s a great monitor. Good color, fast refresh, quiet aesthetic. I recommend it.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

teagone posted:

Can I ask which cable you're using to get 4K 144Hz? Pretty sure the G3223Q is the panel I'll go with for my main display, and was looking at getting this USB-C to DP cable https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-USB-C-Supporting/dp/B01J6DT070?th=1

That is the exact cable I’m using.

I’ve had to reset the cable once when I wasn’t getting 144hz but only once. It’s been fine otherwise.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

jaete posted:

What do you mean by "reset the cable"? Just detach it from both ends or?

Precisely that. Specifically, detaching just the full-width DP end from the monitor. Not sure what goes wrong that allows it to work perfectly at 60hz but not 144hz without doing that but again, only happened once so far, and I’ve been using this setup daily for a few months now.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

teagone posted:

Sorry to bring this up again -- I was just about to put in the order in with my boss earlier this week for the G3223Q, but on further research I read that the display gets detected as a television and defaults to YCbCr in macOS. Forcing RGB causes some display issues apparently. Would it be possible to confirm if that's true? The creative work I'll be doing will benefit from color accuracy, so if the G3223Q requires some tinkering to get it working proper in RGB color format, then it might not be worth it for my use case.

Fortunately, I did find that ASUS does make some 120+ Hz ProArt displays, albeit they're only available either in 1440p resolution or some ultrawide resolution (which I'm not super fond of).

I’d be happy to check, but if you could tell me how I check for this, I’d be obliged. Doesn’t seem to be something under the default display options.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

teagone posted:

Appreciate the deep dive on resolution scaling! I was kind of aware of how it worked, and figured the M1 Ultra in the Mac Studio I've been given won't have any performance issues in other applications (namely Premiere/After Effects) when upscaling/downscaling the display resolution ouput. I also read that apparently macOS changed how its font rendering works in recent version changes, so QHD resolution doesn't look nearly as good anymore (though I'm guessing everything I've read on that matter is purely subjective). But yeah, in addition to creative work, I'll be doing a bit of administrative stuff working in Excel and doing a fair bit of copywriting/copyediting, so text looking sharp and crisp would be nice.

That LG looks like a good candidate yeah. Not a fan of gamer-y stand, but the office does have a few VESA desk clamps I can use.

I had a Studio Display before I got this G3223Q and yeah I can tell the diff in “crispness” or whatnot in the display rendering but honestly for my eyesight 4k res on the 4k monitor with 144hz is a much more pleasant experience than 5K 60hz was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smr
Dec 18, 2002

teagone posted:

I don't think you can check in the OS itself. For Dell panels, I believe you can see if it's operating in RGB or YCbCr in the monitor's OSD under "color" or "color settings" and it'll be listed under color input format.

A-ha. Mine says “Input Color Format = RGB” at the moment. I’ve never faffed about with it, thought the colors looked dead on on first power up and have just left the defaults alone other than boosting brightness (I get a lot of sun in the home office here).