Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm worried that my MBP (first unibody Fall 2008) is overheating a bit. When I open it up from sleep it's very hot in the area below the keyboard, next to the trackpad. Does the surface you have your computer on affect it's ability to dissipate heat at all? I have it on the floor (carpet) quite often, or on a wood table. Also is there some kind of temperature diagnostic that I can run to see if there's really a problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I went out for a few hours and left the display up and it wasn't as warm. I assume it was going to sleep when I closed it because that white light was flashing on and off slowly. Right now it feels okay. Is there a reason that the left speaker area (by the inputs) is always warmer than the right speaker?

Maybe I should try using the "Sleep" menu option next time I want to do that instead of just closing the lid.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 28, 2011

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Oneiros posted:

The left side is where most of the heat-generating components are (right side is dominated by the optical drive).

When the machine is sleeping it should be generating very, very little heat. Had yours been actively charging the battery when you noticed this?

I don't think so, I only have it unplugged if I move it from one room to another. Last night I had it closed under my bed on the carpet and it was quite warm upon opening. I was just wondering if having it lying in certain places could allow it to not ventilate heat as well.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Are there any car chargers for a Macbook Pro that can be bought in-store? I can only find listings for them on Ebay or Amazon. It would be nice to have for a road trip.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Ive noticed I have to push down a bit harder to get my mousepad on my MBP to respond. Does this indicate I should tighten screw below the surface or loosen it?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Can you get an educational discount on refurbished models?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Okay thanks. I'd like to upgrade my MBP at some point. I have the first unibody from fall 2008. I don't need anything particularly fancy, but it would be nice to have a SSD and better battery life. I suppose I should get the low end model, but I like having a larger screen size at the same time.

What happened to the regular Macbook anyway? Also why doesn't the Macbook Air have an audio in port?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Thanks. I guess I'm wondering how much of a boost I'd expect in basic computer activities going from my current model to a Macbook Air. Mainly how a standard hard drive like I have would be improved going to the flash storage.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I would just want to make sure I can connect it to my mixer without having to buy something additional.

Is this accurate?

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57459083-285/record-through-your-macbooks-headphone-jack/

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Another question I should ask is whether it's a better deal to get a refurb (a bit older, better discount) vs. a new laptop with an education discount (newer product, worse discount? I think it's $100). It looks like the priciest Air (the one I'd want since it has 13" screen and 256 GB of storage) would be $1449 with the education discount. The most recent refurb (July 2011) is $1179.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

So if I want to get a new laptop, I would need the MBP to keep the 15" screen. However the MBP is more expensive and has a lot of stuff I really don't need. On the other hand, the 13" MBA gives me the same resolution, a solid state drive, but I would have to buy separate peripherals for cd burning and for an audio in. Perhaps I should go for a refurb MBA that still has the audio-in switcher for the headphone jack?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

evol262 posted:

How often do you really use the audio in? The new MBA is significantly faster than the refurbs. If you can, you should just get a $30 USB audio-in, and use it when necessary.

Not too often, but I need it for recording mixes. I'm certainly not going to buy a brand new model, just like it says not to in the OP.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Well there was a way to switch between audio in and audio out on previous models, why didn't the just keep that?

Oh and

quote:

Where should I buy my Mac?
Primary sources for Apple computers should always be:

Apple refurb (not always in stock, have to wait a couple months for new models, sometimes BTO models)
Apple education (BTO options, cheap AppleCare)
Amazon (no tax in many states, free shipping, no BTO)
MicroCenter

The only time you buy from the Apple store proper should be if you need a new machine the day it comes out. Otherwise, stick to the previously listed channels.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

evol262 posted:

It's faster and has significantly better battery life. The OP isn't updated with the 2012 models, but even given that it's not, the 2011 Air wipes its rear end with the 2010 Air. In this case, you absolutely should be buying the newest model, albeit not from Apple themselves, necessarily.

If you use it for recording mixes, you're probably going to want better audio quality than what the generic (probably ungrounded) input gave you anyway. If it's "not too often", get a USB audio device and deal with it.

They do have a mid-2012 model listed. What do you think of this price?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD232LL/A/refurbished-macbook-air-18ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 17, 2012

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

evol262 posted:

I think it's better than you'll find most other places (that's the newest model), but you could get it for $100 less if you can live with a 128GB HD and additional storage on USB media of some kind.

That's a good point, I'm sure there's a lot of :filez: I can keep somewhere else.

What would be the best place to sell my current laptop? I'm kind of uneasy of selling it through craigslist or whatever since these are big targets for scammers.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 17, 2012

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

evol262 posted:

I think it's better than you'll find most other places (that's the newest model), but you could get it for $100 less if you can live with a 128GB HD and additional storage on USB media of some kind.

Bit the bullet on the 128 GB model. Thanks for the help. I thought I was using about 115 GB after removing :filez: but I realized I had an old Windows install from Parallels taking up 22 GB.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 18, 2012

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I got my refurb MacBook Air today (current model). Loving the SSD and everything else so far, but for some reason I can't get rid of the notifications icon in the top right. I've tried

code:
sudo launchctl remove com.apple.notificationcenterui.agent
launchctl remove com.apple.notificationcenterui.agent
several times, but it always comes back after reboot. Any other ideas?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Are there decent third party alternatives for MBA power cords? I had to replace mine at one point with another Apple one, but I felt it was way too expensive. It doesn't really seem fair (and honestly, anti-competitive) that I should feel restricted to only buying accessories from Apple. If I go on Amazon for example, the Apple cord is $80, but there are several third party brands for $20 or less. I also don't understand why the selection is only Apple vs. a bunch of stuff that sounds like it was made in the middle of nowhere, China. Why isn't there the wide range of brand choices like you would get with PC accessories?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 29, 2017

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

No. Buy the apple charger.

Fine, but why aren't there other (legit) companies offering chargers at a more reasonable price? So many people have Apple laptops, yet there seems to be no competition at all.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Apple considers MagSafe to be a proprietary technology, they usually go after knockoffs with heated legal action.

They do let slip people selling refurbished adapters and now that they are switching to the USB-C protocol that opens up Mac laptops to using alternative power adapters.. but only the new ones.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'm just trying to understand why this is legally allowed in the first place. I vaguely remember that in the 90s Compaq only allowed Compaq memory in their computers, but had to stop because it was anti-competitive.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm glad to here that the newer laptops will take USB-C so there will actually be competition in adapters. Was this done in response to possible legal action from Europe? I can't imagine Apple would voluntarily stop using a proprietary adapter.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I guess my feeling is that obviously if they have the MagSafe on there and they have the patent, fine, but there should be other ways to charge the device. I don't like the fact that you are beholden to only one company for something that is required for the device to function. Sure, tout the benefits of MagSafe and so on, but I would also like other options, say being able to charge using USB (I suspect this is nowhere near as good, but at least I have another option). If I'm talking out of my own rear end here please let me know as I have little knowledge about how hardware works - just reflecting my thoughts on needing consumer choice.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

They're phasing out MagSafe for USBC anyway so honestly man, just let it go.

I'm not mad or anything, just asking here because I'm curious :confused:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I just got the Magic Mouse 2 to use with my MBA. I typically turn it off if I'm not going to use it for a while, but I'm finding that often when I turn it on, it doesn't actually respond (i.e. I don't get "connected" on the screen). Under the bluetooth option it just says searching. I will then either have to plug it in / charge it (even though the battery is at 90%) or just restart my machine for it to start responding again. Any idea what could be happening?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hi,

Can anyone tell me when the MBAs started having that horrible butterfly keyboard? I'm still using my MBA from 2012, but I assume at some point I will want to upgrade, and would like to avoid that feature.

I was looking at this site and it looks like only the latest ones (late 2018) do, but I wanted to double check. thanks

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook-air/index-macbook-air.html

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hello friends,

Here is my current MBA:

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook-air/specs/macbook-air-core-i5-1.8-13-mid-2012-specs.html

I don't think I've ever had any major issues with it, though I think I will be looking for something a bit faster in the future. I'm wondering about what would be the best refurb options for me. I think it would be another MBA as I like the screen size and I want to avoid the butterfly keyboards.

I'm wondering about this one

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...2c9874cb02b88f2

I'm fine sticking with a 128 GB SSD. I'm wondering what would be the main advantages to this besides the memory - I currently have 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3L and this has 8GB of 1600MHz LPDDR3. Is that a pretty dramatic difference? Also it looks like the processors are basically the same (both i5, 1.8)?

Here are the two side by side:

https://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-comparison-chart/?compare=all-macs&highlight=0&prod1=MacBookAir019&prod2=MacBookAir033&prod3=eMac003

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 3, 2019

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Thanks for the info, that's very helpful!

I do pretty much always use an external monitor, with an HDMI connection and an HDMI-thunderbolt adapter.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Moved

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 4, 2019

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

How would you rate the new MBAs that have the retina display? I will need to upgrade my 2012 one eventually.

Do they still have the awful keyboard that breaks all the time? That's honestly the only thing holding me back.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I finally replaced my mid-2012 MBA with a 2017 version (i5, 1.8). It was $849 after a $150 "educational" discount, has double the ram and still has the normal keyboard, so I'm happy. Also if I want to get a 4k monitor it works with that. My old computer had a horrible battery (though I never really used it anyway), the touchpad was failing and was slow as poo poo.

speaking of:

https://www.asus.com/us/Commercial-Monitors/PB287Q/specifications/

when it says "3840x2160 at 60Hz (DisplayPort)" does that mean it's a DisplayPort device? that would mean apparently that I can connect it to my thunderbolt.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 8, 2019

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Mine is thunderbolt 2. I currently have a HDMI to thunderbolt 1 adapter. I'm just clarifying if that will allow me to get the stated resolution.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

"3840x2160 at 30Hz (HDMI)"

Yeah looks like you want to avoid HDMI on that one. Most monitors today have HDMI 2.0 that does full 4k 60hz though.

thanks!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

hi, I have this MBA

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook-air/specs/macbook-air-core-i5-1.8-13-2017-specs.html#macspecs1

I was thinking about getting a 4k external monitor. it says

quote:

2nd Display Support: Dual/Mirroring* 2nd Max. Resolution: 3840x2160 (4K)*
Details: *Although Apple originally only reported that this model could support a single external display up to 2560x1600, third-parties discovered that it actually could support a 3840x2160 (4K) display, and Apple subsequently revised their official documentation to confirm this, as well.

however i typically use the laptop screen at the same time as a small secondary display. wouldn't that be really weird to have one monitor that is 1440x900, and the other is 4K? would I need to basically not use the macbook display at all, or get a different mba with a 4k resolution?

I currently have a 1080p external monitor, which I understand is 1920x1080, so not the same as my mba, so maybe it wouldn't be so strange?

looking some more, I guess there are no MBAs with a 4k native resolution, I'm guessing because of the screen size (?). The highest resolution I see is the retina ones with 2560x1600. i guess this is just not a thing on mac laptops at all.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 22, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Why would that be weird? As long as you’re not mirroring displays it just runs each at an independent resolution, just like any pc with dual monitors.

yeah you're right, I don't know, i'm old

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

btw how does the mini display port work with a monitor that also has display port? do you still need a mini display port to HDMI adapter or do you only need one cable?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

nitsuga posted:

You could do it with a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable. I’d recommend it because you plan on hooking a PS4 up to your monitor you said over yonder.

Link to one example: https://smile.amazon.com/Cable-Matt...ps%2C125&sr=8-8

thanks, i was just curious. right now i just unplug the hdmi cable from the adapter and plug it into the ps4 when I want to use it, which seems to work fine. I only have my ps4 out when playing, otherwise it's in storage.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

nitsuga posted:

In that case I would get a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter. No need to switch things on both sides.

right, that's what i have right now, and it's 4k compatible. thanks for the info.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

my dad is trying to sell his (recently deceased) brother's imac. he said he ran into an issue in terms of "deassigning" it because we don't know what his password. he said apple support said he would need a court order for them to do this? he hates apple so I'm wondering if this is accurate or not

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Yeast posted:

If you can provide Apple support with a death certificate and some other paperwork they can get it done. Best to contact Apple to find out what the supporting documents needed are.

I'm sure he already mentioned he had the death certificate, but he said apple support told him he needed a court order

the way he describes it seems pretty over the top, do other companies have similar polices with their machines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Other companies don't really have the same type of cloud-enabled hardware encryption, so no. You basically need to be allowed control over the brother's old account and all the security concerns it entails.

Apple has a page on this exact process. It seems that if you want actual access the account then yes, you need a court order to prove not just that the person is deceased but that you, specifically, have a right to the data.
If you just want the account deleted just a death certificate may be all that's needed. Unsure if this will allow device to be unlocked.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208510

thanks, if the account was deleted would someone else be able to start fresh on his machine?