Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
e: wrong thread

withak fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The convention is to call the total number of pixels "resolution" but that isn't a very useful measurement on its own.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

It might just be hair or a bit of particulate under the glass. If you're feeling adventurous you can get a suction cup, tilt the glass out a bit and blow it with a hair drier and see if it comes flying out.

Do this only after someone at the Apple store tells you to gently caress off.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

I'll ask Steve tomorrow.

I just had a chat with him on Thursday about this, he said it is probably not somewhat unlikely.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sinestro posted:

Thanks for the sarcasm. I remembered seeing something about it and wondered if any more evidence had appeared, and for this kind of stuff, I don't trust Google.

Google is literally as reliable on this as anything someone here might try to tell you.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Residency Evil posted:

That's my question. What's the problem with buying applecare from discount bob's ebay emporium? Isn't it just a code that I plug in to a form online somewhere?

Discount Bob probably bought his unbelievably cheap codes with stolen credit cards and you will be the one left holding the hot potato whenever the credit card company gets around the letting Apple know which purchases were fraudulent and Apple cancels those codes. It's not like there is some secret marketplace somewhere where native craftsmen are assembling perfectly serviceable Appplecare codes for absurdly low prices.

withak fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 1, 2011

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Crush posted:

IMO, the best starting point is SA-Mart, Craigslist, and eBay to see what they actually sell for.

Yeah, people buying and selling right now near you are a better source of data than some website attempting to aggregate price data by country over some unknown time interval in the past.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

AlphaDog posted:

Edit: I'm not trying to start an OS war or rag out on apple or anything, I'm just always disappointed when cool hardware doesn't work on my current platform.

There are some kind of windows drivers out there; my magic trackpad works fine if I boot into windows on my iMac. I think it doesn't do any gestures but scrolling though. I think you download from Apple and burn that driver to a CD in the first step when you run the boot camp assistant.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Now that I'm back from my 10 day vacation: someone give me a reason not to stop at an Apple Store on the way into work and buy a new 13" Air. :ohdear:

Can't think of one.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Daric posted:

Why do people claim that the MBP is not very portable? It weight 5lbs. If you can't carry an extra 5lb weight with you all day, you have an issue.

I think portability complaints with the MBP are mostly with the dimensions of the 17" which doesn't fit into a lot of laptop holders. Also it is heavy.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Right before reading his post I ran across this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XCX7WA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A1TP2RCKS1Y35B

That is a lot of one-star reviews.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

About goddamn loving time. This issue has been really annoying and only started a couple months ago. gently caress.

My fuckin wifi worked fine until this update and now it won't reconnect when waking up.
:argh: Apple

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Do you guys know if the iPhone headset (the one with the microphone) works as a microphone on macs?

It does on my 2011 iMac. When plugged into the mic jack you get only the mic function; when plugged into the headphone jack you get both.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Resolution should mean the size of the pixels. It is usually used to refer to the number of pixels though, like 1920x1080 or 1024x768. Obviously you also need to know the size of the display before you can tell whether the quoted resolution is any good. Hardware makers love this because they can hide how crappy their displays are in a cloud of numbers.

The problem is that many details of program UIs are written using dimensions of pixels, and a button that is 100 pixels wide and looks ok on a three-year-old 21" display will appear far too small on a retina display and not everything is designed in a way that makes it easy to scale for a display with very small pixels.

withak fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 12, 2012

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

HolySwissCheese posted:

Trackpad is horrible for Excel or anything with a lot of clicking and dragging

Yeah, I literally go crazy when I occasionally have to use autocad on a laptop for work, though having two-finger pan/zoom gestures available could go a long way towards making it a less lovely experience.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

bairfanx posted:

One thing I didn't see discussed there: if I order my Mac off of Amazon and they swing by my house while I'm at work and nobody is home, they won't just leave it on the porch, will they? I've never had anything more than $100 ordered from Amazon and I'm not allowed to have things delivered to work, otherwise I'd just take that option.

The shipper decides that, not Amazon. You can pick a shipping option that requires a signature, but that still isn't any guarantee that they won't fake the signature and leave it on your porch anyway.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Captain Pike posted:

drat it. I got all psyched up to buy my first Mac in 20 years, and then the new MacBook Pro is announced.

The Nvidia card looks significantly faster, which I like very much. I'm not sure I can wait until June.. :colbert:

Nothing is announced FYI.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

ShoeFly posted:

So my new 11-inch Air has shipped, I got the confirmation email from Apple about 13 hours ago. However the link to track the shipment doesn't work; the TNT page says the consignment number can't be found.

Any Aussie goons had experience with TNT? Are they just incredibly slow to update their tracking pages?

Golly if only there was a company that you could call with questions about the status of a shipment.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Polymerized Cum posted:

Do people on Craigslist have brain damage or something?

Your 1st gen iPad 16 gb is not worth $350 by any stretch of the imagination.

It works because buyers on Craigslist are just as brain-damaged as sellers.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

BonzoESC posted:

Is this a UK plug?

That is so weird.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Or your connection isn't actually delivering 100 Mb/s. What do you get if you plug straight into whatever box your internet comes from?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Clicking with the right thumb and dragging with the right finger is better.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Shaocaholica posted:

Whos to say 'PCs' always stay to spec?

They have more respect for standards than Apple does.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think the problem was that he was quoting some price for a hypothetical brand-new version of his 1.5-year-old laptop as if it matters.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

You pay me $40 to take it?

I would take it with $30.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

Took it to an Apple Store today and they swapped me a Magic Trackpad :)

That was very nice of them.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The smallest high-end laptop around is a status symbol for some.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

PRADA SLUT posted:

Wasn't that the point of the magnetic connector anyway?

Only to a point.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Maybe some Small Town Drinkin would be in order when around the computer from now on.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What is it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It seems like a pretty glaring flaw of industrial design to have two different kinds of chargers that fit interchangeably but don't actually work right interchangeably.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

yellowjournalism posted:

What's the best way to take care of my rMBP's battery? I often like to keep it topped off so I can maximize my (unplanned) time off the grid.

No maintenance is required as long as it isn't plugged in 24/7. Modern lithium ion batteries are pretty forgiving.

withak fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 22, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

I feel I'm smart and I have never, EVER, plugged in a USB plug the correct way on the first attempt. loving Christ.

USB plugs exist in an extra dimension where you may have to flip them three times or more before finding the orientation that works.

withak fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 10, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

The logo goes up! How hard is that for people to remember.

Only if the port isn't sideways or upside-down. Also, not everything has a logo.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yes, away from the motherboard, of course. :rolleyes:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Civil posted:

Did Apple ever say if new purchases will include vouchers for 10.9?

IIRC if you bought a new computer less than 30 days before Mountain Lion came out then you got it for free. The OS is pretty cheap though so it isn't that big of a deal.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

SRQ posted:

I've been leaving my new 15'' rMBP plugged in, why wouldn't I?

Leaving it plugged in literally 24-7 is bad; as long as it gets unplugged every once in a while then you are fine. Modern batteries don't require any kind of maintenance for normal usage patterns.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
A full discharge (i.e. 100% to zero in one step) supposedly may help calibrate the percent battery indicator in the OS, but for modern batteries a full discharge is really just a cumulative 100% of activity. Five percent of discharge and recharge every day for 20 days is a full cycle, which is why just unplugging it occasionally is all you need to do.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

AlternateAccount posted:

I don't know if I ever understand these benchmarks. It's always new stuff is a little faster than old stuff but when it comes to gaming it could all just be lumped into "Not Nearly Fast Enough."

Or "fast enough that you won't notice the difference".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Or get a thick piece of ceramic tile at the hardware store and superglue it to the back.