Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

You can get a usb c charging cable with a wattage meter display built into it for like $10 on Amazon. It’s always interesting seeing what wattage my devices use, and may help with some charging troubleshooting.

https://a.co/d/inaTtg3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The live iOS-style desktop widgets in Sonoma are pretty nice - we're finally coming to the culmination of their work with Universal apps bringing better functionality between the two OSes. While many users are fine keeping their laptop and iPhone apps entirely separate, one of the things I look for when buying a new app on either platform is whether or not it's a Universal app and if it supports iCloud syncing.

Apps like PastePal, Parcel, and Fantastical already support macOS widgets, and I'm eager to see what features they bring to live widgets in iOS 17.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Apple created a Proton-like tool to make porting games to MacOS easier.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

It's a bummer Blizzard stopped releasing ports on MacOS.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Keep it, get the Mac Mini, and remote desktop into your Mac Mini from your iPad to get any "real" work done. I think you'd like the extra performance of the Mac Mini if you want to dabble in music production apps. I hear Logic Pro is great on the iPad, too.

$500 Refurbished M2 Mac Minis are awesome.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 7, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The Grumbles posted:

Saslu doesn’t work like that over here! (You can only do so if self employed, which I’m not)

You can’t even do that over here much anymore - it’s difficult to get out of the standard deduction unless you itemize a boatload of things.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

I ain’t no math guy but that’s only like 1.5 gigs of ram.

What’s taking up the rest?

I was thinking the same.... does his laptop only have 2 or 4GB of RAM or something?

I hate how much Apple upcharges on additional RAM/storage, and 8GB base on the 15" MBA definitely seems a little low, but I have to imagine it will be fine for the vast majority of users. I run a lot of graphics-heavy apps and run way too many menubar third party apps in the background and my 2018 MBP uses 12GB or so.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The Grumbles posted:

That's really useful, thank you.
(By Magic Kayboard, I meant the attachment for ipad pro with kb/touch pad - I have a nice mechanical keyboard + trackpad I'd use at a desk.)

At the end of the day, most users are just picking a form factor and screen size when they buy a device - they're running the same apps, going on the same websites, and accessing the same data, regardless of whether or not they're using an iPad or MacBook or Mac Mini.

If I didn't work in IT and use all sorts of weird apps that don't really have an iPad equivalent, I'd probably use an iPad 95% of the time. It's really up to you to decide whether or not you feel more comfortable lugging around a laptop or tablet or both.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

But also, Arc and Firefox (bookmark keyword shortcuts) are great, too.

Arc has a cool functionality called Boosts that let you un-shittify many social media apps, making them halfway useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z9bq_Q9qqk

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Take my Arc invites, all of you!

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 17, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Brother's laser printers are the way to go if you need something new and cheap that prints B&W fast. I also have a Canon Pixma, which tends to throw me into a fit of rage every time I use it, but that's more related to the Printer its self and not its mac compatibility. If you really wanna get fancy with the Pixmas, you can download the printer profiles from Canon's website for specific printer paper.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Head Bee Guy posted:

2tb of storage and 16gb of ram are must-haves.

You're really going to pay the Apple tax for that much onboard storage. I know I'm going to want to spring for 1TB when I eventually upgrade and hate myself for it - $400 more to go from 1TB to 2TB is just so silly.

Only $2400 more for the 8TB upgrade. :aaaaa:

edit: Yeah, a 13" M2 MBA w/ 16GB of RAM and 2TB of storage is $2099 from Apple. Personally, I'd rather grab a $2199 1TB/16GB 14" M2 MBP for only $100 more and live with less storage and enjoy the much nicer display, more screen real estate, better cpu, etc.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 11, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

16GB seems bad in 2023 when my 2009 has 8GB.

Eh, I run an insane amount of background apps and I still have ~4GB of RAM to play with out of 16GB. I think the average user would get by just fine with 16GB, assuming they're not playing around with VMs or something.

This is after I closed out Firefox, which uses like 3GB of RAM (drat extensions):

(Bartender 4 to the rescue)

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 11, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Looks like a new wave of USB4/Thunderbolt docks is coming out - Plugable just released a Dual 4k/144hz w/ HDMI 2.1 dock for under $200.

Edit: Boo, can only do dual monitors using MST, which macOS doesn't offer.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Nobody is going to like the answer, but it's, "Spend $200-$300 on a fancy CalDigit Thunderbolt4 Dock".

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

If I didn't need a laptop for IT-related work on the go, I'd definitely pick up a Mac Mini + iPad Pro instead of a MacBook Pro - If you need to get any real work done, you can always could just VNC into the Mac Mini and carry around a keyboard and mouse for the iPad Pro. I know the iPad Pro isn't a true laptop replacement, but it gets the job done for most users.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

27"-32" OLED Monitors are right around the corner for under under $1300

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm so glad I rest my giant hands on the outside of wrists - my thumbs practically float above the trackpad, and Apple's thumb detection seem to work well enough that I haven't noticed any accidental touches. They really should open access up so BetterTouchTool can let users make more adjustments.

My 2018 MacBook Pro has a bunch of little chips and scratches along the edge from one of my Apple Watch's watchband clasps. I kinda stopped caring about keeping all my devices pristine at this point - the battery will likely be shot when I sell it, and if I replace that, the topcase gets replaced with it as well.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 14, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I miss expose gestures and my custom three finger swiping for opening/closing/navigating between tabs in my browser/finder/pages (with BetterTouchTool) when I'm using an external mouse and keyboard at my desk with MacBook Pro.

I have an MX Master 3 as well and really like Mac Mouse Fixer for smoother scrolling and reversing scrolling for the scrollwheel without having to run Logitech's background process.

I'm sure somebody has figured out a way to mimic the gestures I miss on the MX Master 3 in some way. I should look into that.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 22, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Agree with pretty much everybody else:

If you care more about ad-free YouTube experience without paying for Premium, a Google TV dongle + sideloaded YouTube apps is the way to go.

If you care more about Apple ecosystem integration, an Apple TV will provide a far better user experience than the Google TV, but no ad-free YouTube without paying for it.

If you want something in between, a Mac Mini may work, but even then, a cheaper miniPC will be faster and more up to date.

I should get around to installing YouTube DLP on my Sony TV's Android OS. Admiteddly, most of my YouTube usage is done at my desk in my office, so the need isn't as big for me.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 1, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

I did the reverse since most apps I use will not work or do it badly on airplay while they do perfectly on Chromecast. I do use a Chromecast ultra which might help with bad performance compared to the basic ones.

Chromecast is better than Airplay, no doubt, but for somebody who wants the apps/media to directly run and play on a streaming box and not have it primarily be just for casting, it doesn't get much better than Apple TV.

I've also found that most iOS/ATV apps support both Chromcast and Airplay if I need to cast something in a pinch, but it's usually just random YouTube videos and less streaming apps/services, which is how we do our streaming.

Google's Apple TV equivalent is the Google TV streaming dongle.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Sep 18, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Warbird posted:

Speaking of AppleTV, I got to use one for the first time the other weekend and was shocked that AirPlay appears to just be screen mirroring and doesn’t pass the player a URI or whatever like a Chromecast does. Having to keep the app in focus on your phone and preventing it from locking lest the video stop is absolutely insane. Am I missing something because that seems kind of useless.

Did you just screen mirror from the control center, or did you actually click the airplay icon within an app's video player? What app were you trying to Airplay from? Has it not been updated for Airplay2 functionality, which rolled out 5 years ago?

You may have been screen mirroring and not Airplaying the video or something - Airplay does function differently than Chromecast, but it definitely has handoff-like functionality.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 18, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

The Touch Bar is basically a hardware device meant specifically for editing in Final Cut / iMovie because everyone I ever speak to that says they use it says the Touch Bar, after getting used to it, is a godsend / makes editing faster.

Total afterthought for any other use, though.

It's like Apple meticulously developed the TB along with the FC version that supported it, then once it was finished, told all the other teams (Finder, Text Editor, Photos, etc) ok you have four days to write in Touch Bar support, don't care how good it is, just have it done by Friday, or else get downsized

Not having physical feedback pretty much doomed the TouchBar, but Apple didn't really commit to the platform at all - no refinements to the software over the years, no additional APIs or tools for third party devs.

I'd love an updated Touchbar with Stream Deck-like OLED buttons instead one long bar. It kinda feels like Apple just said, "gently caress it, we'll implement desktop widgets in Sonoma to show the same info that was in the touchbar".

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

TACD posted:

This is one of the best Apple goon posts I’ve ever read; thank you for this gift

I just started using a work provided Dell laptop and can’t believe how horrible they are. My 2005 PowerBook’s trackpad was better.

You’d think some PM over at Dell would figure out whatever Apple does and copy it.

Warbird posted:

You shouldn't be able to upgrade to the new arch if you don't have a Hub on your LAN, there's utterly no point to do so and it's only downsides. God drat you Timothy Crapple. Yeah, I said it.

No hub, no HomeKit control. Pretty simple really. I’m not even sure how you had HomeKit support without a hub in the first place? How does that work?

Tiny Timbs posted:

I gave HomeKit + HomePods + AppleTV an honest shot and was so disappointed I ended up returning all the equipment after a week. Setup was annoying and unreliable even with Matter devices and Siri just could not do what my wife and I were used to doing with Alexa and our Fire devices. It’s a shame, because I really appreciate how Apple limits the intrusiveness of advertising into your space and I wanted it to work so bad.

You’d rather use a FireStick’s OS over Apple TVs? Apple TV’s are kinda considered the best of all the streaming devices, while Amazons are considered the worst. Apple TV doesn’t feel bogged down with ad-sponsored content like Roku, Google TV, and Fire Stick (just a vessel to push Amazon content, gimped App Store). Apps like Plex and YouTube TV are often prioritized on AppleTV even.

I’ve been using an AppleTV with HomeKit for years now and have had a few issues over the years, but there are tons of advantages of it over Alexa or Google Home - if your internet is out, all of your HomeKit devices still have to function on your network, for example. Being able to access everything from your phones control center is great as well. I personally don’t feel comfortable giving a bunch of third party apps my location data, or even Google or Amazon (same with mics), so I setup all my automations in HomeKit even though I have a Google Home Hub.

There are plenty of HomeKit capable smart switches that aren’t much more than Alexa/Google only devices.

Hue is the gold standard in smart lights and have had HomeKit support for many years.

Aqara makes all sorts of really affordable and sensors, switches, cameras, etc.

Got a free Ecobee from our energy company. That’s HomeKit capable.

Most smart TVs that run Android TV or Roku support HomeKit control as well.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 25, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

Roughly speaking, an M2 Pro with the 16/19 gpu cores (Xbox Series X @ 12.1 Tflops vs ~13.6 Tflops for the 19gpu core M2 Pro).

NOTE: if the game isn't optimised for Apple Silicon or the Metal graphics .api, performance will be considerably lower.

He's probably better off just using Xbox's gamestreaming functionality, which can be used on anything. One of my friend does all his gaming on his iPhone nowadays.

Plus you'd be buying the game twice for native playback.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Macichne Leainig posted:

At what point should I be concerned about memory pressure?

Like my concern is that 18GB is not enough for my workload. Here's what it all looks like with what should be my heaviest set of dev tools running (Docker, WebStorm, PyCharm all at once).

It hasn't slowed down or anything but if I want to keep the computer for several years, my window for returning this one and buying a different one is closing.

I know the advice is basically "if you can afford it, go for it" but also if I'm being unreasonable and this memory pressure is fine then cool!

5GB of swap being used says to me that you have plenty of RAM @ 18GB.

I've heard Docker for mac kinda sucks/is resource heavy, though. I told myself I'd get 32GB of RAM the next time I upgrade my MacBook, but I'm not even sure I truthfully need it - I run dozens of background menubar apps and webdev apps on my existing MacBook Pro with 16GB and it only uses 10-12GB for apps and the rest as swap. I've got an Unraid server with 32GB of RAM that sits around 16-20GB being used.

I probably don't need more than 18GB, even if I need to spin up a VM occasionally.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 15, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Fedule posted:

Shedding a single anodised aluminium tear as I finally retire my ac Airport Extreme today after a decade of service. I'll never understand how the company pouring so much into HomeKit isn't still making these.

Yeah, it’s a real shame Google/Nest seems to be gaining in popularity in the router space while Apple doesn’t offer any comparable product.

You’d think they’d be able to come up with some really cool mesh system with repeaters in HomePods and Apple TVs or something.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

This seems like a pretty good deal as it comes with Apple care +

I don't need to upgrade yet.... I don't need to upgrade yet...

Killer deal.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

My work Dell laptop reminds me every day why I’ll happily continue to pay the Apple tax. Sure, a more expensive Windows laptop might have a competitive trackpad, and I could spend a bunch of time fine-tuning and de-shittifying Windows, but I’d rather just buy the MacBook.

For somebody like my mom or partner who isn’t a power user, a MacBook Air is perfect and there are deals bringing them under $800, which is fairly reasonable for something that will be used for 5-10 years.

I’ll never not miss the top menubar.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 24, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Maybe he works for Microsoft?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Every day I am reminded how much I’d love a M3 as my 2017 13” MacBook Pro sounds like a jet engine throughout the day.

I’ll just wait for M4 I guess.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

This is entertaining

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvkgmyfMPks

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Mac Hardware - Vision Pro Sucks, I'd Rather Chat About Genocide

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

It is possible, but you have to run the DisplayLink software to make it work. I recently grabbed a Targus DV4K for $20 on HP.com and it can do dual monitor with M1.

This list might help you decide what to get.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Best Buy has M2 15” Airs with 16GB of RAM and 1 TB SSD for $1500. Seems like a great deal.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

For eg I’m fussy about screen resolution but you could AB test me till the cows come home on 60hz vs 120hz and I’d fail every single time, I literally can’t tell the difference.

An iPhone Pro with ProMotion switching from 120hz to 60hz when low power mode is on is pretty jarring for me. It makes me never want to turn it on.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I wouldn’t be surprised if the average M1 MacBook had a lifespan of 10 years for most users. They’re great machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm so ready to finally ditch this 2017 MacBook Pro with fans that are constantly on for an M4 14" MacBook Pro by the end of the year. Make it so, Apple.