Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

DaNzA posted:

Modular GPU so you can plug a Titan into your MBA? :haw:

I wish Apple would make their own TB GPUs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm still weighing the MacBook Air versus 13" Retina MBP. I'm now leaning toward waiting for the Haswell MBP refresh since I'll value performance more than I'll value battery life. I never run my 2011 MBA battery down as it is.

Same boat as you. Was hoping for a res bump in the 11" Air, but I just can't deal with 768 vertical pixels anymore.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I've been given a 13" MacBook Air (used, previous generation) from one of my very awesome, generous cousins but the charger is borked. Would it be a smart idea to get a replacement off ebay? I ran across this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-App...=item2a2ddf6246 and they say it's genuine Apple brand. I'm just worried about not being able to tell if its like a really good knock-off or something.

teagone fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 28, 2013

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

japtor posted:

Not sure it has anything to do with it, but "CleanMyMacHelperTool" is apparently this thing, so just being a third party service that could possibly gently caress things up I'd disable/remove that as part of the troubleshooting procedure. Otherwise I'm not sure if Facebook contact syncing has anything to do with it, but I guess that'd be another thing to try disabling/reenabling or something. Those could all be a red herring though, but it'd be a start.

Otherwise the usual stuff, reset PRAM and SMC and that stuff, and repair disk and permissions. Latter under recovery mode just so nothing is open I guess.

I'd go with OWC (long time trusted and reliable Mac shop), $57 and covered for a year by them:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/MD592LLA/

edit-vvvvv yeah try that first. If you mean it's a 2012 model by "previous generation" there's a good chance it's under warranty to begin with.

BobHoward posted:

Take the borked charger to a fruit stand. They replaced mine when the insulation on its cord frayed even though it was half a year out of warranty at the time. No hassle either. There are no guarantees once you're out of warranty, but they're often pretty cool about taking care of you anyways.

Thanks for the tips! I don't know if I they'll replace the charger, despite being under warranty, because my cousin attempted to repair it by soldering it or something; it looks like someone hilariously tampered with it, haha.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mercurius posted:

Holding a normal mouse in a claw grip looks kind of :downs:

If you game a lot, the claw grip is pretty well known and used.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The battery turned out to be defective in my 2012 MacBook Air, and I got it replaced today after the 'service battery' alert came on. I knew something was up because I was only getting like 3-4 hours of battery life, and the cycle count was wonky despite only having it for about 10 months (was told the battery was only at around 74% of the design capacity). That said, after I got the battery replaced, my battery life is still only hovering around 3-3 1/2 hours. When I received it, I also noticed it was at 99% of the maximum capacity, but after charging it, it went down to 97%. Am I being too paranoid about all this? Or is there something I'm not understanding?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

carry on then posted:

Well, I think most laptop batteries are designed not to charge if they're already over 95% or so when you plug them in. When you say "hovering around 3-3.5 hours" do you mean you are actually timing that or just going by what the menu bar says when you unplug it for a bit?

Going off what the menu bar says. I turned off 'Location Services', and lowered the screen brightness a bit, which brought the menu bar time up to around 5 hours while the battery was at 90%. That seemed to help. Also, would a defective charger harm the battery in any way? I ordered a replacement from OWC, and noticed that it stops charging like every 20 seconds or so, and the brick got really hot really fast. The original charger doesn't do that, so I'm assuming the new one I got is defective.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

This is completely pointless. Your laptop doesn't have a GPS chipset that regularly burns through battery life if you leave Location Services on.

Was just going to say, yeah that really didn't make a difference in general usage. Guess I'll just keep using it to get better battery readings.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

kloa posted:

How does someone go through that many MagSafe cords? Mine from 2009 looks brand new.

So long as you just make sure there's no strain on the cord when stowing it away, I see no reason for anyone to have to exchange their charger due to physical damage (no for electrical failure reasons or whatever). http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1630

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

JayKay posted:

Derp, I meant the Viper Sleeve

http://www.booqbags.com/us/sleeves/viper-sleeve/VSL13-BLK

I feel its a good compromise between portability and protection.

Has the magnet on that ever messed around with the magnets in the Air that make it wake/sleep? Or is that not possible? Really love the look/function of that sleeve.

[edit]

Also, if you pick up that sleeve the side where you put the Air in, are the magnets strong enough to keep it inside? Or does it fall right out?

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 19, 2013

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Is it normal for the LED on a magsafe 2 charger to stay on for like 10-15 seconds after I unplug it from my MacBook Air? It charges my laptop fine, I'm just wondering why the LED stays on for a bit, despite being disconnected. It was a replacement bulk charger I received from OWC, after I had to RMA the first one they sent me.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Is there a viable thunderbolt GPU enclosure that's anywhere near consumer ready for MacBooks? I have a Radeon 7850 in my drawer that's doing nothing and wouldn't mind dropping the cash to pair it up with my Air's Core i7.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Oh My Science posted:

I'm in the process of selling an early 2011 macbook pro 17" 8,3 (specs) and I'm having a hard time deciding on a selling price. Keep in mind it has the matte display, i7 processor upgrade, and an internal 128gb SSD + the stock 750gb HDD where the optical drive used to be.

I've had an offer of $1600, and although I'm tempted to just take it before new models are released I'm worried that it's worth more. I see a new ad on kijiji attempting to sell the same computer, with lower specs, for $1900.

Can someone kick my rear end and tell me just to sell it and stop worrying about it?

Yeah, uhh, take the $1600. That's a really good price considering the model year. My mid-2012 MacBook Air (2.0GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD) would probably fetch just as much. Depending on how much the Haswell Retina MacBook Pro's are, I might sell my Air to fund a rMBP.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I have a mid-2012 MacBook Air, which according to Apple, is able to drive two thunderbolt displays from its thunderbolt port. I don't have the cash for two thunderbolt displays, but I do have room to buy two Dell P2414H monitors (has VGA, DVI, and Displayport connectors). I have one on the way, and want to consider my options of wanting to hook up another P2414H. I asked over in the Monitor/Display Megathread for some suggestions, and I was told an option is to get a display port hub (seeing as how the P2414H cannot daisy chain). I found this on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Complian...isplayport+hub. Would that work?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BobHoward posted:

Looks like it wouldn't work if you bought one today, thanks to a lack of OS X driver support for Multi-Stream Transport. It might work in the future... because Apple is definitely working on MST to support 60 Hz 4K monitors.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/25210287

No way to tell whether the 2012 Air would be included when that eventually shows up, or whether Apple's driver will enable multiple monitors as well as 4K displays.

If you don't need full performance on one display, and you need something now, look into USB monitor adapters. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BPEV1XK?gclid=CKqqvJDTw70CFc9AMgodi2gAMw

Whatever you get, make sure it's USB 3.0 and verify that Mac compatibility is good. (I haven't done that, that's basically one of the first things I found on google)

Appreciate the info. Guess I'll hold off on that displayport hub for now. Came across this device, also from EVGA: http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Supporting-1920x1200-Resolutions-100-U3-UV39-KR/dp/B008BUIKD0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top which does have recent OS X driver support. Might pick that up in the event Apple doesn't fix the whole mirroring thing by the time I get another monitor. Thanks again!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

cyberia posted:

One of the rubber feet came off the bottom of my 2008-era aluminum Macbook. Is there any adhesive I can use to stick it back into place or should I take it to the Apple Store and get a whole new foot installed?

Glue dots or gorilla glue will do the trick.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Weird question, but is there a way to turn on the Apple logo light on a MacBook when it's closed and connected to an external monitor?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I currently have a MacBook Air 5,2 (2012) that's permanently docked as my work desktop at home. It has a Dell P2414H connected to it. What would be the cheapest option to get a second display hooked up to it? Would I be able to daisy chain my P2414H to a U2414H and connect the U2414H to my MacBook? Would that give me dual display, or would I be stuck with them being mirrored?

teagone fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 16, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Pivo posted:

You use an Air as a workstation? You're hardcore.

What do you mean 2nd display? Natively that machine should be able to support 2 displays, not mirrored - the internal, and the external. If you want more, you'll probably need a USB display adapter, they're cheap enough.

I don't think that model (mid 2012 Air) has Thunderbolt, so no daisy chaining for you!

Haha, it was decked out when I got it: 2GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD. It does have Thunderbolt, because I have the P2414H hooked up to it via a Mini Displayport cable. http://support.apple.com/kb/SP670 I've never daisy chained monitors before, so I was wondering if that's even an option here. Also by docked I mean its in clamshell mode, so it's closed. That's why I was asking what would be the easiest way to get another monitor hooked up to it :). I should mention I still need to buy the second monitor too, haha.

teagone fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 16, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Looking at my post history in this thread, I had actually asked about this before. Guess I forgot! My MacBook Air can drive 2 thunderbolt displays. So I'm guessing if I just get a monitor that supports daisy chaining/has a displayport out, I can hook that up that monitor to my MacBook Air, and then hook up my P2414H to the displayport out port on the other monitor... that should give me dual display while my MacBook Air is closed, right?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

1st AD posted:

You can daisy chain Thunderbolt, but if you only have Displayport monitors I don't think it'll work. If you have one Thunderbolt monitor you can add the Displayport monitor to the end of the chain.

Hmm, poo poo Apple's Thunderbolt display is a little out of my budget at the moment, haha. Was hoping I could maybe buy a U2414H, hook that up to my MacBook Air, and then daisy chain my current P2414H to the U2414H's displayport out port.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Selklubber posted:

Next iMac confirmed!

The CD-port looks like it breaks some natural laws though.
https://curved.de/news/curvedlabs-ein-facelift-fuer-den-macintosh-198570

The disk slot instead has the mic/speakers, SD card slot, and facetime camera.

flosofl posted:

If it's display port 1.2 compliant, you can daisy chain 2 displays at 2560x1600. That's not taking into account your GPU, that's just the DP spec.

http://www.displayport.org/cables/driving-multiple-displays-from-a-single-displayport-output/

Huh, thanks for this!

[edit]

Oh noes, Intel HD4000 is DP 1.1, not 1.2 :(

[edit]

So I guess my only options now are hooking up a second monitor via USB, or get an Apple Thunderbolt display. :sigh:

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 16, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

flosofl posted:

A colleague uses a Display Mate USB to VGA/HDMI/DVI. He uses it on a third monitor just for his email client and IM client at the office and seems fairly happy with it so far.

Awesome, thanks for the heads up :)

[edit] Would I see any noticeable difference in performance between a USB 2.0 display adapter and a USB 3.0 one?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

japtor posted:

Kind of a moot point since (even if you had DP 1.2) OS X doesn't support multi stream for multiple displays afaik.

drat, good thing I asked first before buying poo poo, haha.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Pivo posted:

i've been on the internet for a long time. lowercase is commonly used for informal conversation and chat, when you don't want to be 'too serious'. it's an indicator of tone and it's useful when you are communicating without any body language or intonation. sort of like people say "lol" after they say something that might be read seriously.

I am perfectly capable of using the shift key, I assure you.

Are you being serious? I can't tell because we're on the internet. I typically associate people who don't type properly online with real life idiots though. That's just me.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

How lovely is the Core M processor compared to an i3/i5/i7? Is it more comparable to the Celeron CPUs used in Chromebooks?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Pfffffft. Haha.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Monitors, hard drives, what else do you want?

Official External GPU enclosure/dock for my MacBook Air compatible with OS X.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Whirlwind Jones posted:

It's weird that the new Macbook is basically what the Macbook Air originally set out to be so now there's a Macbook which is thinner, lighter, and significantly less powerful than a Macbook Air. So what does the Air stand for anymore?

This is why Apple's naming system is dumb.

The "air" in MacBook Air now stands for that air gap of wasted space the rectangular batteries leave due to them not being terraced like in the new MacBook.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

1st AD posted:

OSX doesn't even support GPUs via Thunderbolt and in Windows it only works if you disable your built-in display and connect a monitor to the GPU.

Which is why I said I would like an official solution that is supported with OS X. I know it's never going to happen, so meh.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I'd rather get my parents a 15" Acer Chromebook for $250 than a $1200 MacBook if all they do is check their email and watch dumb videos and pictures their relatives post on Facebook.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

enMTW posted:

Some people like nice things. Some of those people happen to have children.

I really dislike this whole 'get old people low-end junk' thing people perpetrate.

It's not low-end "junk" though. I have a 13" MacBook Air I use for work, but I also have an 11" Dell Chromebook to tote around with me for when I'm not working. The newer Acer Chromebooks actually have pretty solid build quality from what I've read.

[edit]

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yeah being the tech support bitch for my parents with a revolving door of lovely Dells that would last 1-2 years before dying got old really loving fast. Life's been a lot better since I convinced them to just buy a mac and expect it to last them 5-10 years.

God forbid you actually have to exert effort and help the people who birthed you.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Kingnothing posted:

I know my parents and other family members wait weeks before asking me for help because they feel bad bothering me all the time with it, no matter how much I tell them it's fine. Plus I'd rather them feel confident in their ability rather than feeling useless in their lack of understanding.

I've recommended Macs and I've recommended Chromebooks. I've actually gotten more tech questions from the friends and family I recommended the MacBooks to than the ones who I recommended Chromebooks to. I don't mean to derail the thread or anything, but there are more logical options than a $1200 computer for people who just use it for e-mail, Facebook, and YouTube.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

enMTW posted:

Every Chromebook I've used - including the Pixel - has terrible build quality. And, save from the expensive Chromebooks with I3/4gb of ram, they do not have enough performance on tap to even run a browser in a non-terrible way.

Bad keyboard, bad trackpads, bad performance.

My anecdote is the complete opposite of your anecdote. Also, an "expensive" Dell Chromebook with a Core i3 and 4GB of RAM is $400.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MrBond posted:

Isn't Core M better than a chromebook CPU? Those have typically been ARM, atoms, or at best celerons from what I've seen.

Newer Chromebooks have/are going to have Broadwell-U CPUs. So yes, the Core M (which I think is Broadwell-something) is better. By how much I don't know because I can't find benchmarks comparing the two.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

enMTW posted:

You would need to compare the two products in a benchmark, and since Apple hasn't announced exactly what processor they are using and the computer you are talking about doesn't exist yet (but surely will)

I looked it up, and it's Broadwell-U... so same as current-gen Chromebooks? I guess Broadwell-Y was last generation?

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 9, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

bloodysabbath posted:

I like how I am in the market for a new 15 inch rMBP to replace my 2010 model, and Apple does not want my money. "You can have brand new everything, better memory and better ports and new chips and thinness and trackpad revisions on everything but the high end models. Sorry!"

I mean, I guess they have to rope people in to buy their new mid-range, but not really mid-range model somehow.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

enMTW posted:

Interesting. Is Broadwell-U not being replaced until Skylake?

No idea. Someone just told me that current Core M chips are Broadwell-Y though. I looked up the SKUs of current Core M processors, and the speeds match those in the 12" MacBook models. I guess Broadwell-U is just the super low voltage variant. Unless Broadwell-U processors are also branded as Core M?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Nobody's parents use iCloud intentionally.

This is true. Or least hardly any use it on purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Accipiter posted:

Silly question... if your computer is and has been more than enough, it works perfectly, and you use it for VERY simple tasks, why replace it?

Yeah, if your current MacBook is fine, stick with it. Give that $2k to your parents. Parents could always use more money. Or stuff it away in your kid's college fund.