Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

I am kinda shocked the Twentieth Anniversary Mac isn't in there. I STILL lust after one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I am seeing the big lag spikes on my Haswell 13" MBA and the older generation Airport Express as a wireless bridge to my Buffalo gigabit router on the 5GHz band. No packet loss either. I plugged in via my Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit adapter and everything was sub 0.5ms like it should be.

Edit: terminal output

Terminal posted:

ping 192.168.2.1
PING 192.168.2.1 (192.168.2.1): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=86.550 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=1.699 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=1.739 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=155.778 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=1.723 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=1.147 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=6 ttl=64 time=0.943 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=7 ttl=64 time=0.982 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=8 ttl=64 time=66.736 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=9 ttl=64 time=295.130 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=10 ttl=64 time=0.959 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=11 ttl=64 time=135.603 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=12 ttl=64 time=57.956 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=13 ttl=64 time=0.989 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=14 ttl=64 time=1.133 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=15 ttl=64 time=127.457 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=16 ttl=64 time=46.945 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=17 ttl=64 time=241.970 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=18 ttl=64 time=195.838 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=19 ttl=64 time=116.600 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.1: icmp_seq=20 ttl=64 time=35.853 ms
^C
--- 192.168.2.1 ping statistics ---
21 packets transmitted, 21 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.943/74.940/295.130/86.568 ms

mayodreams fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 1, 2013

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

PRADA SLUT posted:

What practical applications do 16GB of RAM in a 13" have anyway? Games don't utilize that much and I thought things like video editing held files on the disk.

Virtual Machines and a lot of browser tabs (lol Chrome) can have a heavy impact on ram. Using a Mac for pro IT work means having Outlook, a VM, and a number of other apps open. Even on 8GB, that can get cozy depending on the Windows apps you are running.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

BlackMK4 posted:

2.5mm to RCA

I know this is nit picky, but technically its a 3.5mm / 1/8" jack. The smaller 2.5mm jacks were on smart phones for a while during the last decade, but 3.5mm has been the standard headphone jack for most headphones aside from the more expensive/professional 1/4" ones.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

CygnusTM posted:

First, don't borrow one. Buy one, and start doing regular Time Machine backups. You will appreciate this one day. I can not emphasize this enough.

Are you interested in the file structure so you know what to backup/transfer? If so, don't worry about it. Time Machine or Migration Assistant will handle that for you.

Going to echo this. People who have a cavalier attitude towards backing up their data have never lost it before.

Pro Tip: data recovery costs WAY more than an external hard drive, and doesn't always work.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

kuskus posted:

...but I'd like to get ~600MB/s. I ordered another SanDisk Ultra Plus 256GB ($156) and since I have an extra OWC enclosure that can RAID 2 drives, I'm scheming on doing this on Thursday:

Doing a RAID0 on your boot volume is an exceptionably bad idea. I like to call it RAID roulette where your data is what catches the bullet in the bits.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

~Coxy posted:

As long as you have your boot volume backed up then who cares?
Besides, a 2x 256GB RAID-0 is basically the same risk as a single 512GB SSD.

Sure, you could keep your volume backed up, but why risk a failure? I think you will have a hard time finding anyone who would advocate using RAID0 for a boot volume. Because with SSDs, the speed change is marginal in normal desktop usage. If you are looking to do more pro workflows, then you have the wrong computer to start with.

Using a low rent RAID device is hardly the same as using a purpose built commercial controller. Good enterprise level raid controllers start at more than the cost of a 256GB SSD. If you want stupid fast, get one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0AJ1344529

and a PCI-E thunderbolt enclosure: http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echoexpressiii.html

Although, I have no idea if that would boot OS X, but it is WAY faster than a RAID0 of consumer grade SSDs.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Captain Lou posted:

Anyone getting one? I'm strongly considering it. I'm a software dev and dabble in audio so I'd definitely be using the thing, it still feels like it would be overpowered though. No use for the GPU, for one, besides being able to have dual monitors (without some crappy setup).

The alternative for me is a rMBP, which I wouldn't be using much at all away from my desk.

I am not really sure who this machine is aimed at. I won't go full nerd rage, but no one should really consider this thing for like 99% of applications. No workstation should ever lack drive expansion, have graphics cards soldered in, and rely on an expansion technology that offer very little in the way of bandwidth and real world products.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Caged posted:

What he said. I can't see what the new Mac Pro would be good for that an iMac wouldn't be equally good at. What are people doing that uses ATI GPU rendering on a Mac?

The acceleration Apple is building into the OS uses both AMD and Nvidia hardware, but almost NO ONE in the professional space uses AMD tech for computational uses. OpenCL is coming along, but is no where near the foothold CUDA has. It is not even close. The fact that Apple is turing a very blind eye to this oversight is the most ridiculous thing about this Mac "Pro".

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Electric Bugaloo posted:

In fact, I'd argue that the worst mistake Apple made with this thing is that they waited so long. They forced a lot of people to switch platforms who otherwise might've stuck around.

You hit the nail on the head. I literally sat in a meeting with the FCP lead straight from Cupertino about two years ago where he said "What if the Mac Pro went away?". And we told him we'd ditch Apple because we need actual workstations, regardless of how Apple thinks we should use computers. My major objection to his suggestion we use iMacs was huge lack of RAM and number of cores because we did a lot of 2D and 3D animation, and there is no substitute for cores. He said "you should send out those jobs to a third party and just use iMacs'. For a University. :stare:

The Mac Pro was dead, and the reason this loving thing took so long was because they had to start from scratch when literally everyone was pissed that they did not have a modern workstation. The combination of the Mac Pro never updating, thus being VERY overpriced for old hardware, and the complete gently caress you they gave to the FCP crowd has driven people to Adobe and Avid in droves. And funny enough, those platforms work better on Windows, and that is where you can get real workstations from Dell and HP too.

Edit: clarity and some more details.

mayodreams fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 19, 2013

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Smashing Link posted:

How long should we expect to wait for the old Mac Pro prices to drop? I really want one of those awesome aluminum cases to set up a server.

Nothing in that case is standard, and it is a HUGE pain in the rear end to work in unless you are dealing with RAM or a PCI-E card.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
A few places are reporting that the CPU in the Trash Bin Pro is removable.

MacRumors posted:

Using a removable socketed processor rather than the soldered processors found in most of Apple's Macs means that users may be able to upgrade their machines in the future as their needs change and/or chip prices decline.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/12/27/new-mac-pro-confirmed-to-have-removable-cpu/

Someone clearly does not understand how Intel prices the professional line...

Edit: I made the mistake of reading the comments on that thread, and it made me truly appreciate the number of smart and knowledgeable people we have on SHSC. :suicide:

mayodreams fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 28, 2013

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

movax posted:

Intel doesn't drop prices pretty much ever after launch; remember it costs them about the price of a dinner at Applebee's to produce a single Haswell. After recouping R&D/capital expenses, it's a money fountain.

Though, even if they are replaceable, it's a moot point if BIOS won't run outside of a few specific CPUs. Apple has in-house BIOS/EFI developers, so they can do whatever they want.

They could even throw in a whitelist for PCIe devices if they wanted (though now that I think about it, there's no place to put cards inside)

That is precisely my point. Mac bloggers don't understand the real workstation situation. There were idiots in there saying RAM would get cheaper over time too. My experience is that is NOT the case with ECC/Registered RAM. In the more recent Mac Pros, the CPU's didn't have the heat spreader and idiots cracked the die trying to replace them. I think even Anand did on his first try, and if it can happen to him, scrubs buying an expensive pretty looking Mac are doomed.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Binary Badger posted:

I'm still hoping Apple will eventually cave in and get nVidia to offer a solution for this model. They've always been a fan of the 'not relying on a single vendor' model if they could help it, and especially if the alternate vendors give them some kind of a price break. I know a lot of people who salivate at the thought of having workstation class CUDA available to them in such a small package (a lot of PhotoSlop editors.)

When enough people complained about the Intel GMA 950 GPUs on minis and MacBooks, they finally slapped in nVidia 9400Ms which were a nice leap forward. But I'm pretty sure it was also because nVidia also provided the lovely MCP79 SATA controllers on those very same models for a song as well.

We may be actually lucky that nVidia and Intel had their fight, as Apple started including Intel SATA controllers afterwards.
There is a piece on SemiAccurate about this, but its behind the paywall. Charlie may be crazy, but he has been right on with a lot of NV stuff in the past.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

wdarkk posted:

I'm unwilling to pay for access to a dude that was super-wrong about the Apple ARM notebooks and was so smug about it.

Me too. Industry rumors are hard to come by, and I really like being on the cutting edge, but when he did the Cartman-esque "SCREW YOU GUYS, I'M GOING HOME" I lost interest. If anyone has a better place for that type of coverage, I'd love to see it.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

GregNorc posted:

So once again, my macbook pro (13-inch, Mid 2010 model) is refusing to send audio over HDMI to my hdtv.

It's an older model Sony Bravia.

I'm using a MiniDisplayPort to HDMI cable.

I zapped the PRAM and it helped once. I tried that again, no go. Also reset the SMC, still no go.

Is there something I'm missing, that could cause this issue? I click option, select output to tv, and the internal speakers are all that play.

It worked fine the one night after resetting the pram so I'm really weirded out as to what could be the issue...

I think your cable may be suspect. Personally I prefer using a MDP to HDMI dongle then a reputable cable. Not all HDMI cables are equal, as some support the newer standards and some don't. Don't run to best buy and drop $70 on a MONSTER one, but a quality one in the $10-20 range at retail or something from monoprice may be a better bet.

As for a free option, assuming you are on Lion or newer, boot into the recovery partition and do a permissions repair on your boot volume. I've had fix external audio issues in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

GregNorc posted:

I actually did get it at monoprice... this is a decent one right?: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024603&p_id=9475&seq=1&format=2

I'll try the recovery first though. I wish there was a way to know for sure it's the cable before emailing mono...

I was getting at using an Apple MDP->HDMI dongle and a good HDMI cable combo. We used to buy the monoprice MDP adapters and cables, but they turned out to be garbage and were really flaky. It is not worth the $10 or so to cheap out on them.