Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Bob Morales posted:

According to Ars you should be running a Memory Cleaner :downs:

Don’t clean your memory, double it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Data Graham posted:

I'm still salty about Microsoft buying Bungie in order to kill the G4 gaming baby in the crib.

Long after I've forgiven them for every other thing I was mad about them for in the 90s, that one will always get me

I still remember visiting the Bungie booth at MacWorld Expo. Feels like an alternate history now. :911:

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I like Halo, but the early preview stuff suggested a much more ambitious and unique game.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I know everyone has said it already, but I got my mbp today and it’s so fast and chill. I edited and exported a 4K video in FCP, and it was so slick.

My 2018 intel mbp would have been spitting fire just from all the software installations I was doing, never mind the video stuff.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

kefkafloyd posted:

It’s not true at all re: publishing and graphic design. Source: I worked for OEMs that supplied the graphic arts industry for 15 years.

Yeah, and unless Windows 11 fixed the awful color management and made it work the same across all applications, then things aren't changing in that regard anytime soon. You can't do serious work in Windows if you work in a field where people look at things with their eyes. :colbert:

OK, that's an overstatement, but it's really frustrating if you've ever had to wrestle with it!

doingitwrong posted:

Why are people so down on the magic mouse?

I played with one when they first came out and found it extremely awkward to use, I assume that was everyone's experience.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Is hardware accelerated playback turned on in the project settings? Something weird is definitely afoot; it should be smooth.

Is she using any out of date fx plugins on the project?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
What are you some kinda fancy pants who uses two buttons? What is this, Windows?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
There were no good mice on this earth until kärna LLC blessed us with the Boomslang.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I got spaghetti sauce on my Polishing Cloth.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The only thing that comes to mind with the word "peek" in apple parlance for me is the little preview pop-ups they added a while back, like with force touching on a link or 3-finger tapping. They call that peeking.

Seems like a pretty minor feature to theme an event around, though!

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Are these 2018/2019 mbp’s at all decent at gaming? I have no idea how good the 560x gpu is or isn’t. I could put windows 10 on it and use it as a lightweight gaming rig but I already have a laptop with a 1050ti in it, so if it can’t best that, it’s probably not worth it.

E: looks like the 1050ti is still a good amount faster

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti-Mobile-vs-AMD-RX-560/m223242vs3926

I assume you mean via boot camp, so I want to point out one major deficiency that I discovered trying to do the same with a 2018 MBP.

One of the best things about using a Mac for gaming is that they have better speakers than most PC lappers, and that’s definitely true for those MBPs. However, the Boot Camp sound driver doesn’t utilize them properly. It sounds like there’s a strict high pass filter on everything, so you only get an incredibly tinny output of only treble (which will indeed be drowned out by the fans).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
They stick out of the side. I don’t think I’d feel comfortable leaving one in if I was carrying the computer around.