Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Bodhi Tea posted:

Do you guys think the 11" MBA screen sufficient for coding?

I just bought the new MBA 11" and I've been coding on it for the past hour for my CSE class. I'm at the library and it currently does not bother me. It's fine for when you're on the go but it's not as awesome as my T420 (1600x900) screen for those huge IDEs. I recommend getting an external monitor for when you're home, I have a Dell U2311H to use with mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

For someone who gets a new Air or Mini: what's the build number of Lion? Just curious if it's the GM or already a specialized build.

I have the new 11" MBA and my build number seems to be different than others.

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7 (11A2063)

I also received the Samsung SSD, but it appears that some people have gotten the toshiba SSD in there new MBAs.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Anyone know any good external portable hard drives that can be used cross platform (PC and Mac)? I want to store Movies and the bulk of my Music on it for my Macbook Air. 500GB would be enough, portability is a must.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I just had my first scare with my MBA. For some reason, my left USB port was not working. It did not recognize my iPhone or a USB drive I had. I was almost ready to take it back but I remember people saying to reset the SMC when you have a hard ware problem. I just did and now it works again. I think this is a sign telling me to go buy Apple Care... I'm driving down to get it now with an educational discount.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

kingfet posted:

How old is your air? Remember as long as the unit is working you can purchase applecare during the entire first year.

I got it yesterday when the refreshes hit.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

You don't need to drive anywhere to purchase AppleCare, even through education.

Also yeah, you can wait 364 days to purchase it.
I did not know that, I thought you had to show some proof through ID or something. I think I might just wait it out than and buy it towards the end depending on how I think my Mac's holding up.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

fishmech posted:

A 2 GB RAM Macbook Air actually has between 1.62 and 1.75 GB of RAM for your use after the onboard graphics takes shared memory. Do you really want to buy a new computer and have less than 2 GB of RAM actually available for the system?

IIRC, 2GB MBAs share 256mb with the Intel HD3000 graphics while the 4GB version shares 384mb.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Corbet posted:

I don't want to start a huge "OMG my _____ shipped", but has anyone's MacBook Air shipped from Apple.com yet? For some reason they're shipping the $100 gift card separately.

Was your BTO or a standard configuration?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

So my left USB port kept messing up on my new MBA 11". I had to reset the SMC each time which was annoying. So I ended up trying to exchange it but ended up upgrading to the 13" version. I thought I would miss the portability of the 11" but taking it to campus today, the benefit of having more screen real estate benefitted from the bigger form factor.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

mik posted:

I'm sure I sound like someone at Macrumors who has their panties in a knot, but it appears there's a MBA-roulette going on with the SSD and the Displays. The Samsung SSDs are slightly faster than the Toshiba ones (at least in benchmarks) - though in practice it makes zero difference. The problem is that the LG displays aren't as good as the Samsung ones. This might sound like obsessing over nothing, and I originally passed it off as such, but I had a 2011 13" with an LG and a 2011 13" with a Samsung display sitting next to each other in a light-controlled room and the Samsung display is superior even after some (admittedly basic) calibration. The LG seems much more washed out and the contrast is lower. I'll probably exchange my i7 and try and get one with the more common Samsung display. I put up with the SR 8600m problems so I figure Apple "owes" me at least that /justification.

Is the display difference really noticeable in quality or do you have to nickpick?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

flyboi posted:

I guess being 27 makes my eyes old as gently caress because if my high res display on my 15" were any higher I would most definitely not be able to read the text. Then again this is Something Awful where goons care more about numbers than usability of a computer.

Any development work benefits from higher resolution monitors. IDEs take up a shitload of space and was one of the reasons why I enjoyed the upgrade from my old 2009 MBP's 1280x800 screen to my new MBA's 1400x900.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

movax posted:

Someone was asking about the i7 battery life on the MBA:

Anand's got us covered, so that should answer the last question, what is the battery life like on the MBA with the i7 upgrade.
I just checked out Anand's twitter and they said that the LG's screen has better numbers (whatever that means in real world performance, who knows?) but has a worse viewing angle than the Samsung one. The previous posts about the screen differences made me a bit nervous but that should help clear my mind.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

I had an X120E and that screen was horrible, but the IPS you can option into the X220 is supposed to be pretty drat good.

My friend has the X220 with the IPS screen and it's viewing angles are awesome compared to my MBA. I'm not sure how different the viewing angles are between the 13" MBA and MBP. The X220 does not have a bad screen at all. I'd rather get the X220 if you already have a Mac or don't have the itch to go OSX.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm having some serious first world problems here. For whatever reason, I'm thinking of taking back this new iMac and going back to my gaming PC I built and getting a 13" Air. If I did that I would have pc upgrade money, and I could sell my iPad since the Air would cover everything I need in it. Has anyone else done the "windows box / air" combo and enjoyed it? I can't help but think jumping back and forth from OSs will be jarring and i'll miss the iMac.

I never owned an iMac so I don't know if your current set up is more ideal. But I have a PC desktop hooked up to a Dell U2311H IPS monitor and that's perfect for when I'm at home. Than I have my MBA 13" I recently acquired that I use as a Campus Warrior. I'm taking summer classes right now and it's a lot better to haul around than my old 13" MBP. The MBA 13" resolution is usable to develop on also, and I have a windows machine if I ever need the Windows environment for work/school like Microsoft OneNote or Visual Studio.

I recently got MacDrive so I can share an external harddrive between the two machines. Along with Spideroak (like dropbox) I have my School folder synced between computers so it's easy to switch between computers to get work done.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Space Racist posted:

You're certainly entitled to be aggravated and pursue resolution however you see fit. I just find it annoying since this is the Mac Hardware thread, not the Complain About Apple Retail Stores thread. If you need to vent, there are other, more productive outlets - sjobs@apple.com, Yelp, etc.

Well I think it's a good anecdote just incase I ever have to send in my Macbook Air for repair and get lovely service. I'm interested in the outcome.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

SmirkingJack posted:

So within the next few weeks I am going to pick up a new 13" MBP. I was going to upgrade it with a 1TB 3Gb/s drive for $130, but after looking at the laptop's spec sheet on everymac.com and seeing that it supports 6Gb/s drives, I am wondering if it is really worth another $80 to get one that fast.

What do you guys think? Photography and programming are my main things.

What kind of developing (programming) will you be doing? I'd go SSD + External HD route if you can afford it.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Chemmy posted:

Portability's not a huge deal in that I drive to work and have an iPad to travel light.

However I'm not really a power user. I'm an engineer in the semiconductor industry by trade so my work keeps me swimming in bleeding edge computer hardware and in terms of keeping laptops I generally keep them a while but only because I'm not much of a "power user" on my home PC.

There's nothing wrong with my current 2.2 C2D, I just think it still has value to sell so I might as well upgrade because the money isn't a big deal for me right now.

In terms of "desktop replacement" it'd be my only computer but I bought my wife a 13" MacBook Pro (she really wanted an optical drive) last week. I think my main dilemma is screen size. New high res 15 MBP is more pixels than my current MBP.

Go for a High Res 15 MBP. If portability is not a huge deal, the extra screen res is nice along with having a bigger monitor to look at. Though if money is not to much of a concern, a MBA + an external monitor (I'll recommend a Dell UltraSharp U2412M) would give you the portability and the extra screen space.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

MBPs are quad-cores. That's important and more critical than an SSD to some people.

The 13" MBPs only come in dual core variants.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

vty posted:

Any else of you returning your i5 MBA for the i7? I only have two days left on my return, still trying to decide.

My big thing was hoping this didn't do some crazy fan RPM when watching basic videos/movies, which it does, so hell, I might as well have the i7.

I'm also SLIGHTLY considering going from the 11" to the 13". I wish the 13" was 16:10.

The 13" is 16:10?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

dox posted:

I also wanted to post up my list of most useful apps in case anyone was curious or had any suggestions to add in there. I used the educational "discount" which basically gave me a free $100 iTunes Store Credit.

I'd get HyperDock or BetterSnapTool to add in "Window snapping to Full Screen" functionality found in Windows 7. I prefer HyperDock which includes the snap feature, just for the fact that when you hover over an icon on the dock, it displays a little preview window of it's current open state, just like Windows 7.

I work both in a Windows Environment and Mac Environment so it makes switching between the two easier.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

King Nothing posted:

Well with about three months remaining on the applecare for my 2008 unibody macbook, my battery started intermittently giving "replace soon" messages. Took it to the store and they replaced it for free, so that's awesome. Like the OP says, get Applecare on laptops, it's worth it.

From http://www.apple.com/batteries/replacements.html

Apple.com posted:

You can extend your replacement coverage for a defective battery to three years from the date of your notebook purchase with the AppleCare Protection Plan. However, the AppleCare Protection Plan for notebook computers does not cover batteries that have failed or are exhibiting diminished capacity except when the failure or diminished capacity is the result of a manufacturing defect.

I was eyeing AppleCare mainly because of the fear of the diminished capacity of the battery until I read that. Did they give you much of a hassle when going to the Apple Store or did they take in your battery no questions asked? Anyone have any experience getting a built-in battery replaced in there Macbooks?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

What's the 13" Air battery life like?

Anandtech got VERY different results testing the old C2D against the new i5.

I ordered a new 13" Air and I just hope I'm not going to lose 2 full hours from the 13" Pro I have now. If it's almost as bad as the 11" Air (like that chart says), I'll probably just return it and get a loaded 11" since I like that form factor. According to that chart I'd get another hour compared to my C2D 11" Air which usually lasts about 4.5 hours.
When the new MBAs came out, I ended up getting an 11" one. I probably only got 2-3 hours on it when webbrowsing, using textmate, and lightly watching youtube videos (brightness cranked 3/4). I ended up returning it for the 13" due to wanting something a bit bigger for programming purposes and I noticed a difference in battery life. I probably get an hour and a half or more doing the same stuff.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Abel Wingnut posted:

What's the best case/sleeve for the 13" Air? I'd primarily carry it in a book bag. Maybe a hard shell case of sorts?
I personally feel like hard cases ruin the feel of the MacBook air and add bulk to it. Get a sleeve, I got an incase one that has a zipper which works fine when transporting it in a backpack.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

LLJKSiLk posted:

I think this video might have sold me on the 13"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuajBzQ119Y&feature=related

You'll appreciate the extra screen real estate that the MBA provides with it's higher resolution screen, especially if you use Photoshop/Dream Weaver/ Spreadsheets.

I couldn't stand doing any software development on my old MBP 13". Ended up upgrading to the MBA.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

My 2011 MBA 13" started to creak when moving the laptop around. It's not the hinge, but the chassis itself. Anyone else have this problem? I feel like it's too small of a problem to bring it into an Apple Store.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Yeast posted:

You're going to be one very unhappy camper if you don't look at a hardshell case or something very padded to carry it in.

The amount of hosed MacBook Air panels I deal with daily is up there.

Please look at suitable protection.
If you don't want a hardshell case, I would get a sleeve. I carry my 13" MBA in a InCase Neoprene Slim Sleeve and it fits perfectly in my backpack while providing adequate protection. My backpack takes quite a beating while on campus and I haven't had a problem yet with my MBA.

I wouldn't go naked though while transporting, a small drop can dent the MBA pretty easily.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Corbet posted:

Is Apple pretty good about repairing/replacing MacBook Airs with loose hinges? I bought my MacBook Air last July and I've started to notice that the hinge on mine is starting to loosen up - if I move the laptop toward me on my desk, for example, the screen will shift.

Maybe I should just wait until it gets worse.

I got mine late July also and my hinge has not shown signs of loosening up. Take it in to Apple.

edit: Mines the 13" version though

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I've been meaning to consolidate my 2011 MBA and my desktop into one machine. I found a 2010 MBP 15" with the high-res anti glare screen for $1200. Is this a good price for this machine?

Specs for the 15" MBP:
8GB of Ram
i7 Arrandale @ 2.66ghz
500gb 5200rpm HD
High-Res Anti Glare Screen

I'm wanting to add in an SSD into it through the optibay. Can you boot an OS off a SSD that lives in the optibay?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Sonic Dude posted:

I generally recommend that people put their fastest and/or primary OS drive into the hard drive bay and then the secondary drive into the OptiBay. Officially it's because the ODD port is usually SATA 3Gbit/s, while on newer machines the hard drive port is SATA 6Gbit/s (so if you have a drive that supports it, it would have to go in the hard drive bay). I've also gotten reports from a couple of customers about wake-from-sleep issues when booted from a drive in the OptiBay. I can't reproduce the problem on mine, but enough people have mentioned it that it might be worth considering.

I'm only worried about losing the protection the hard drive bay provides for the traditional platter hard drive. Is it safe to have a hard drive in the optibay?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Bass Bottles posted:

I'm curious about the new refresh, but maybe buying refurbished would be a smarter choice for someone like me who doesn't really need the latest and greatest and would like to save some money.

Check your local Craigslist if you live in a big city. I found an old 2010 15" MBP with the anti-glare high res upgrade for $1200 a couple days ago. It was the i7 version with 8GB of ram.

It's now my main computer now and it's fast enough for my needs. I just swapped in an SSD.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

thegasman2000 posted:

Cool thanks... Will this work?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MDP2DVIS-...#ht_1645wt_1141

It needs to support a dual-link DVI connection. Something like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=6904&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

Or Apple's version:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB571Z/A

edit: I just read that your adaptor supports "Dual-link DVI" but supports display resolutions up to 1920x1200 only.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

So my girlfriend lost her MBP charger and I'm letting her borrow my old 60w MBP charger. The thing is, it's a 15" MBP, which usually comes with a 85w charger. Is it okay to use that for a short period of time until she gets a new one?

Is it important to buy a replacement charger from Apple only? It's pretty steep at 80$ to buy a new charger...

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Thanks for the help guys.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Flyndre posted:

Do you really, really think that ethernet is used by a large enough userbase that Apple cares about it? I highly doubt it

It wouldn't be a big deal if they released a cheap ethernet thunderbolt adaptor.

Transferring huge files between computers sucks through wi-fi.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 08:56 on May 15, 2012

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

actionjackson posted:

Are there any car chargers for a Macbook Pro that can be bought in-store? I can only find listings for them on Ebay or Amazon. It would be nice to have for a road trip.

I'd recommend a Car Power Inverter so you can use your regular MBP charger.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Lexicon posted:

After owning a 2012 11" MBA for a few weeks, I couldn't disagree more. The 13" actually now feels monstrously big to me. Even though their footprint is very close - the 11" is so much more portable.

Of course, like everything, it depends on your needs and situation.

I agree with this statement. I owned the 2011 13" MBA for almost a year, than sold it before the Ivy Bridge update. Just got a new 2012 11" MBA and I'm loving the form factor a lot more. It depends on the situation though, I'm able to dock my Macbook Air up to my Dell IPS Monitor along with using my own keyboard and mouse when I'm at home.

The size displacement from the 13" to the 11" is noticeable when lugging it around campus. It takes up less space in my backpack.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Xergiez posted:

Windows can be fullscreened to the size of normal windows on the 13" and it even appeared to be brighter/looked slightly more rich in color than the 13" Airs.
This could be because the 11" MBA you were looking at had a Samsung display screen while the 13" MBA had a Toshiba display screen. AnandTech explains it more in more detail here. (Scroll down to Panel Lottery.) The Toshiba display screen is fine enough and I wouldn't worry about which one you would get.

To answer your questions.

1. I have big hands and the palm rest area never really bothered me. Than again, I usually only type 5-10 page essays a week max. The palm rest on my old 2011 MBA was more comfortable though.

2. The 5-hour battery (realistically around 3-4 hours) is the biggest disadvantage of the 11" compared to the 13". As long as you don't do any heavy CPU work on the go (VMs, encoding videos .. etc) you should be fine. If you need the laptop to last a whole work day, than I'd recommend the 13" MBA. During the Sandy Bridge release of the Macbook Airs, I went with the 13" just because of the battery life.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I noticed that there was a Thunderbolt -> Ethernet adapter from Apple. Is there something similar to this but includes another thunderbolt out so I can daisy chain a monitor?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I MacBook Air (2012) froze today while watching the CBS College Football Stream. I thought it was just an overheating problem (fans were on full blast.. flash player) so I manually shut it off. Now when I reboot, I get a grey screen with a blinking folder.

I try to use disk utility to repair the disk but the SSD does not show up in disk utility. I can't reformat because of this.

Does this mean its a faulty SSD drive? I scheduled an apple appointment, but I'm wondering if a anyone experienced a faulty drive in a MacBook Air before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

1997 posted:

That folder machines your computer cannot find its startup volume.

Try some stuff in here: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1440

It is always possible though that your SSD went kaput.
Yeah, I followed everything on that page. Turned out its a dead ssd according to the Apple Store. This is quite disappointing as the machines only a couple months old. Not only am I at a loss with data, but I'm out of a computer for 3-4 days due to the ssd stick not being in stock.

On the bright side, they're replacing the logicboard tomorrow just in case it's a defect in that. The MacBook Air has been in clamshell for most of its use (hooked up to a monitor/k&m) and they just want to make sure it's not a logicboard issue due to overheating.