Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, my 2012 Mini and 2010 4.1 5.1 cMP aren't on Catalina by choice, while my 2015 rMBP is on Catalina since I wanted to give it a chance but I hate it.

Yeah Catalina is terrible. I regretted upgrading.

It sucks more because I didn't find out about T2 locking out Linux until after I bought my 2018 rMBP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Wow they ported it that quickly to ARM? I wonder if it would be possible to run WoW on a iPad with keyboard + mouse support

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Three Olives posted:

I don't get the 3rd monitor hate, it is much less expensive than an iPad using sidecar or completely different Window's system, I'm not planing on doing Teams video chats on it, it's just my workflow already involves using both of my moniors and it would be nice to put like iMessage when I am chatting with a friend instead of juggling windows.

DisplayLink is now native M1 and I'm using it to drive a relatively low resolution display so I am optimistic for using it for just like text windows.

About that:

You’re computer room has an awesome set up

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

My 2018 Macbook Pro 13" started to have charging issues. It would periodically be "Not Charging" when plugged in and I would have to reset the SMC each time to try to fix it. Sometimes resetting the SMC did not work and I would have to do go through the process again. I'm sure it had to do something with the T2 chip since it controls power management too.

Sometimes, when connected to an external monitor, it would charge, then disconnect, then charge repeatedly making the power chime sound. I tried replacing the power brick and cable, but still, these problems persist. I wanted this thing to last one more year but it's become unreliable when doing any kind of data science work. Having a laptop not charge all of a sudden during an important presentation was the last straw. It sucks because the 13" MBP was perfectly fine with the work I was doing.

I decided to finally upgrade to Apple Silicon. I was able to get the base MBP 14" M2 Pro off the Apple education store along with a $150 apple gift card as a promotion. I didn't realize education discount applied to 20% off AppleCare+ also, so I used the $150 giftcard and only paid $69 for AppleCare+. Great deal if anyone's still stuck on Intel Macs.

Man, this is my first experience with Apple Silicon on a laptop. This thing flies and is nearly silent. My old MBP wasn't a slouch but it definitely ran hot and the fans were loud especially if I hooked it up to an external monitor. I do miss the magsafe adapter and I'm glad Apple brought it back. I am beyond frustrated with USB-C charging and the handshake problem I had with my old MBP. The screen is also amazing compared to my old 2018 13" MBP but I mostly only use the laptop monitor as a secondary when docked at my desk.