Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

funmanguy posted:

All the info I can find about the fusion drives is that they use 5400rpm drives. Thats checking the computers I have handy, they don't say specifically w/r/t the new 27 inch imac

My 2013 iMac w/ Fusion Drive definitely has a 5400rpm drive in it. It's very noticeable when booted into Windows. By "noticeable" I mean it's slower than dogshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

edit: oops for some reason i thought u said an older imac

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

KingEup posted:

What's the cheapest way to get HDMI out of a 2017 Macbook Pro?

Something like this? https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3in1-US...IcAAOSwU91acA5k

yes, that would work. we use a couple of those at my office

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Apple's always been wary of acquiring technical debt by bending over backwards for... backwards compatibility.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Does the new magic keyboard send keystrokes over the USB cable if plugged in that way? For boot up poo poo and other rando stuff like plugging into devices without BT?
Yes.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

magiccarpet posted:

I ask myself that all the time..

I was asked by a client to playback video/audio from a Mac and shoot the screen with an iPhone for a faux-Instagram live piece.

:(

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I think Apple's just playing hardball with Intel for whatever reason: contract renewals, pressure to step up their mobile game, etc

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

I just want my Minority Report style projected interactive displays with gesture controls and haptic feedback.

yeah that'd be fun for about ten minutes and then you'd be exhausted.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i still chug along with my non-retina iMac from 2013. it's pretty nice and even though it's only 1440p, i think the display is pretty rad

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

My car has a trailer hitch that I'm sure less than 5% of users are aware of, much less actually use. Yet its still there, maybe because some silicon valley rear end in a top hat hasn't 'distrupted' Toyota enough yet.
It also probably costs near nothing for Toyota to implement a hitch compared to TDM

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 20, 2018

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

So I was given a 2018 rMBP to set up the other day; setup is exactly the same as 2017s, however there is one part added to the setup script that's nice- you're given the option to toggle back and forth between TrueTone™ and no TrueTone and they let you see the difference right off the bat.

In my dimly-lit, dyspepsia-inspired technical hovel of orthodoxy it actually makes a big difference, might not in a real, better-lit office.

that's exactly what it's supposed to do, right? Like you leave TrueTone on and in your dark computer cave the tones are darker and more orange, and then when you take it to the office it autoadjusts to a more birghtly lit room?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

my boss sold all of his apple stock in 1996 to pay his rent lol. he told me the tale once over a few beers and very glossed eyes staring distantly into the horizon

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

27" is the perfect size I have Three 27" screens and their beautiful :allears:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

xzzy posted:

Imagine there's a clip from ready player one where TJ Miller's character complains about neck CTS here.

Huh?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Just curious why does a video chatting app need GPU acceleration to function? It doesn’t seem like displaying a video would be that compute intensive.

A video, no. Up to 32 videos in multi user FaceTime, yes.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Arivia posted:

I don't think anyone showed this yet, but you should see the Mojo Audio guy's absurd guide to optimizing MacOS Performance:

https://www.mojo-audio.com/blog/optimizing-os-x-for-audio-video/

(hint: significant slowdown is created by anything other than a solid desktop background)

Every time you reboot you must:

Turn off the Finder application every time you open Finder or reboot. :what:

Untreated mental illness is really sad

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Steve passed away on October 5th, 2011.. the last MacBook Pro to have a combined analog/optical port was the non-Retina mid 2012 MacBook Pro 13 and 15 inch. The first rMBP which came out June 2012 had only digital/analog ports, so yeah looks like an obvious case of "Lets honor Steve by removing all the poo poo he kept screaming at us to keep."

Alternate but also possibly parallel theory: Tim probably got tired of sourcing the more expensive optical port hardware and probably concluded that like maybe 1-5% of MacBook Pro users were actually using the optical component of the built-in audio, gently caress 'em.

There's no way they redesigned the Macbook Pro to the Retina version in less than a year.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

The non-Retina and Retina mid 2012 were both introduced simultaneously in June 2012, it's easy to conclude that they had the Retina on the back burner for some time before release. The 2012 non Retina was just a bump up to Ivy Bridge from Sandy Bridge.

Apple never released another non-Retina Pro after 2012.

Right, so Steve obviously had a say in what ports were on the rMBP and it wasn't some fan fiction revenge scheme that you mentioned

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

The first gen retinas where horrible. The integrated video cards at the time could not handle that resolution at all. Iirc, it wasn’t until the 3rd gen that you could use the integrated video without lag on the desktop.

Nah, I had one and it was fine.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

lol it's only the 20.5" model

better portability, duh

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

nervana posted:

whats the best bluetooth mouse for MBP? what do u guys use?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

redeyes posted:

Yeah, nope.

Helpful

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Strong Sauce posted:

then when apple had that horrible ios6 release of maps where they just kinda switched over to their new apple maps app without telling google, (who had to scramble to create an app version of google maps that wasn't ready because they had no warning), gruber tried to justify it by saying apple had to release it for this version (ios 6) because by the time the agreement between google and apple regarding the google maps app/data expired, it would be half way through the ios 6 cycle, and surely apple can't release something in the middle of an ios major version release!

that's not how it happened at all. google wouldn't let apple use its maps for realtime turn-by-turn directions unless they could mine more data + other terms that apple couldn't agree with. apple wanted to stay relevant by having built in turn-by-turn and other new tech (vector maps, etc. google maps was still using tiled gifs lol) hence apple made their own mapping engine (it wasn't great-- true), but just lol at the thought that "they [google] had no warning"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i refer to the scuffs on my apple watch crown, ipad chassis, and even a couple scorch marks from when i overclocked my imac gpu as "personality"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol are we back to grammar and capitalization policing around here, thats dumb

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ya, that looks like a TV settings issue

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

it happened to me once too. fuckin zoom setting

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah that makes sense because "True Tone" isn't just display hardware. The meat of it is probably whatever hardware + software they use to actually detect the lighting, which can be applied to additional displays

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Theophany posted:

Oh and I'm totally with you on Powernap sucking rear end. When I open my laptop I want the thing to be fully charged, not dead because it was periodically pulling loving emails that take like a second to download anyway.

turn it off?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Correct

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Then get the new Air, imo. For all intents and purposes it's a newer version of the non-bar MacBook Pro with better specs and features.

So you're saying it's for intensive purposes?? ;)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

As far as I know, eGPUs are not officially supported on Bootcamp. There have been some hacks where people trick their EFI partitions into booting into Windows, but I have no idea what hardware combo that works with.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah old methods like zeroing out an hdd or similar should defer to just encrypting your drive right?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lambert posted:

The Thinkpad software allows you to extend battery life by not always charging it fully. It's the same reason why Tesla stops charging at 80%, the extremes always degrade these batteries more than using them in the 20-80% range. Apple has no such functionality built into their products.

Yes they do. iOS and macOS slow charging considerably at 85 - 90 percent and discharge occasionally when the battery is full.

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Dec 30, 2018

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Honestly, to share documents (rather than huge source trees or raw video or whatever) between facets, I always just let Dropbox do the work.

yes. this has saved me a lot of filesystem headache when i've had to deal with legacy OSes like windows on my macs over the years.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

oh it's long gone now, thank god. thankfully microsoft is slowly moving towards Linux. about time.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

You could try clearing out your Firefox profile in your user directory in case something screwy's in there. Or it could be a bad extension?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

unidef freeman posted:

Has anyone wondered why Apple chose FreeBSD as a base for macOS/iOS yet adapted different user interfaces for each respectively?

idk much about unix philosophy, but I imagine Apple wanted to stay far away from having to maintain a UI that was the same across mobile/desktop after how terrible old Windows tablets and phones were to use when they had the same (or at least similar)UI as their desktop counterparts.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Probably dependent on how many cores are available to the VM and cpu cap as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lambert posted:

I've used a Core M machine: It would frequently chug even with just a single video playing in the background. Scrolling would frequently lag. They're just too thermally limited to be useful.
which OS?

macOS relies heavily on the GPU for things like scrolling and video decoding. you wouldn't see chugging scrolling with videos playing, but all that said, you wouldn't be doing much more than web browsing/youtube/doc editing on such a machine.