Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Medieval Medic posted:

Konyaga Yamada? I think its from the earlier batsu games (the two onsen ones+highschool).

Konya... ga........... yamada? Kooooonyaaaagaaaa Yaaaaaamadaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Haha oh man, that and Show-hei hey! always crack me up. I can't even count the number of times I've watched all the Batsu games so far. I'm really looking forward to this years and can't wait to see which setting they're gonna pull out of their hat this time. I hope it gets a timely and good fansub. The guy who used to be the best fansubber (quality wise, at least in my opinion) on the GNT forums decided to call it quits and moved on to other things after finishing up the Spy Batsu from last year.

They got some more translators and fansubbers over there but their quality is a little.. lacking sometimes. I suppose I'm just very spoilt with the really good translations and color coded subs and everything :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Nipponophile posted:

Most of the recent translations have been really spotty. Shibatabread does good work, but only puts his releases up on a streaming site that injects ads every five minutes. Some of the other people are retranslating from French or German fansubs, or even using Google translate on the dialogue that shows up onscreen.

It's simply ridiculous that out of 1000+ episodes of Gaki no Tsukai, 200+ episodes of Lincoln, and hundreds more episodes of Downtown's other shows, only a few dozen of them have been translated.

Yeah, I absolutely agree. I was really sad to read that Shibatabread was done with Batsu games earlier this year after they had finished subbing the Spy Batsu. He said something about wanting to move on and going for dramas now or something, I don't exactly remember. You can probably still find it on his blog somewhere.

He consistently did a very good job of translating and making everything a LOT more watchable, at least to me. While I agree GNT and Downtown and whatever else can be pretty amusing even without subs, a lot of the jokes or stupid poo poo they say gets lost if you don't know any japanese. And their blabbering easily makes up half of the show. Just imagine watching all the "sitting at their desks for hours" segments in the Batsu games without knowing what any of them are saying.

While I'd like to watch more of their stuff in general, I'm not really all that interested in their normal TV shows. The Absolutely Tasty series is hilarious and for the most part even the bad translations suffice to understand what's going on. That show lives from their reactions and facial expressions anyway. Some of the other stuff is either not that funny to me or, while still amusing, way too far out (Aho Aho Man, anyone? That poo poo is insane to me)

What I'm really "worried" (for a lack of a better word) about is the Batsu games. Those are usually long as hell and I personally feel that a bad translation or all-white subs that make it hard to figure out who said what make them a chore to watch. If I sit my rear end down and watch up to 6 hours of crazy japanese TV, I really want subtitles that makes sense and are easy to read and so on and so forth.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and my hopes up since Shibatabread was definitely not the only person working on the Spy Batsu... but he was definitely the best one, at least quality wise.

Sneak Edit: And to not make this post completely about whining and bitching.. that damned Hamada doll in the Spy Batsu. Good lord, I laughed so hard the first time I saw that. Then Matsumoto keeps pulling it out like the rear end he is and he does the most perfect, realistic looking backflips with it. I think I could watch just that over and over again and never get bored with it.

Another favorite moment of mine is in the Hospital Batsu near the beginning, where Endo is told to turn a sign around and as he kinda jogs over to it, he just disappears into this hole in the ground while everyone else cracks the hell up.

abraxas fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Sep 29, 2011

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

iastudent posted:

What's the chronological order these were filmed in, though? The site in the OP doesn't really organize them that way.

You already got an answer to this but if you want to know it super exactly you may find the wiki article (apparently written by our very own zari-gani?) very helpful. It has everything listed in chronological order, even though it's pretty hard/impossible to find some of the REALLY old stuff.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I'm actually a little worried about the subbing/translation efforts with this years Batsu game. Not to discredit any of the subbers/translators from the GnT forums that are still around but I don't think I'm exaggerating when I'm saying Shibatabread has consistently put out the highest quality subs for these kinds of things.

I'm not sure if he's going to help out or not but I fear for the quality if he's not helming the whole project. The colored subs and good translations add so much for someone like me who doesn't know a lick of japanese. The problem with the current batch of translators they have over on the GnT forums is that most of them are not native english speakers. I'm neither, to be fair, but if you read some posts over there you can see that their english is pretty bumpy at times.

It beats not getting any translations at all, admittedly, but I wish Shibata would man up and just do the Batsu game again. I realize it's a huge project (apparently 6 hours long again this year!) and that it can be quite time consuming and annoying but the dude just knows what he's doing and consistently puts out good quality work that might as well be professional subs.

Here's to hoping I'm just being a drama queen and worrying for nothing :shobon:

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

From what I understand, he decided to quit subbing because people put a lot of pressure on him to get the Spy Batsu finished last year. People kept pestering him like mad and he (rightfully, I guess) got pretty annoyed with all the asking and bickering. I do hope he comes back and he's had some time to cool off so we'll see I guess. I'm not sure if asking him on Twitter beforehand would give us the results though, he might just feel pressured before things even get off the ground.

I follow Zuruis blog a lot because I find the GnT forums exceptionally confusing and hard to navigate. I'm never sure if what I'm looking at is subbed or not. It seems kind of disorganized with the plethora of subforums and things. Maybe I'm just an idiot :(

Zurui posts whatever new subbed stuff he has up his sleeves and it's easy to find. I just today watched the Kiki Mayonnaise episode he has up. It was translated pretty drat well (by eChie, it seems) but the subs weren't colored which makes things very confusing sometimes. I mean for things like that it's not really a big deal at all but look at the Iron Chef episode that was posted earlier in the thread. It also came from Zuruis site and it has absolutely awful subs. I realize it's pretty old and was probably subbed by someone Zurui doesn't even know but there's been other stuff on his blog that was kind of shoddy. Just gives me the impression that he doesn't care about quality all that much as long as he has subs. I hope it's gonna be different for the actual Batsu game but I'd definitely feel better if Shibata was back on board.

Either way, we'll see and I'll be happy as long as we get any subs and don't have to wait a year for them. I'm just so spoiled by all the past Batsu games that I'm sorta worried they won't be able to live up to past subs without Shibata and his wife. Fingers crossed, though!

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

As has been said by Crotch Bat, the translating team for the Airport Batsu was announced not too long ago on zuruis blog. I really just wanna throw the link in here and have nothing else to add. I think what Crotch Bat said is mostly true and I hope the quality will be great and it won't be a six months waiting deal.

So, for anyone who wants to read for themselves, here ya go: http://gakifiles.blogspot.com/2011/12/airport-batsu-game-subbing-team.html#more

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I just started introducing my gf to the Batsu Games and all surrounding it (she especially likes the Absolutely Tasty series).

I started out with the Matsumoto Scary Hotel one. It's not really comparable to their other Batsu games like Hospital or even the Onsen ones but I feel like it's a good introduction to the group and it's really funny throughout the whole two hours. It's never not funny to see someone scared shitless by whatever, no matter the cultural background or what's going on. The two Onsen Batsus are okay-ish, to me, because I've been following the group for a while and can appreciate some very specific japanese humor. But to someone sort of new or not very familiar with GnT, I think they're a bad starting point and, personally, not all that funny.

Especially the first Onsen one with Matsumoto, Endo, Yamasaki and Tanaka is kind of hard to appreciate. There's a lot of very specific japanese humor involved, like Fukawa and his "european" friend who keeps asking him to "just tell him one more time what he heard". Why is that funny to anyone? Even I still have no idea. Or Itao coming in and scolding Tanaka again and again for "being late". It's reasonably funny but for someone who has no idea who Itao is or kind of knows the whole junior/senior mechanic that's going on for the japanese, it's just them laughing at something that's not funny at all.

I also appreciate the newer ones more simply due to the fact that they all take part in them and not just a couple of them while the other bunch set up the traps. It's funny still, don't get me wrong, but I just love them sitting around their desks, pulling out the drawers, starting to work against each other and the whole dynamic that the group has going.

I agree the newer ones drag every now and again but I don't think it's because of them having lots of unfunny poo poo in them. I think it's because it went from being ~2 hours long to being ~6 hours long. It's bound to drag at some point or have some things that you just don't find funny at all. I could, for example, do without all the plays the constantly have (Rocky, Star Wars and god knows what else). I just don't find them funny.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

There's loads of great stuff in every Batsu but I have to say my favorite part, by far, are always the desk drawers. They never fail to make me laugh, even if they have absolutely nothing in them. Apart from the obvious stuff like Matsumotos drawer blowing up in the Newspaper Batsu and the Hamada doll, I love it when they pull one open, fully expecting something awful to happen and all that happens is a single pen rolls out like it's nothing. Cracks me up like crazy!

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Crotch Bat posted:

All-time worst is Matsumoto's 3 Thai kicks in a row during Hospital.

Haha but the uncontrolled farting afterwards was hilarious as hell. Farts are always funny, I guess I'm really just 12 instead of 30 :v:

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Taratang posted:

The second half hour of the airport with subs is now up on gakifiles.

Man, I haven't watched any of them yet because I want to watch the full thing when it's done but they are really pushing these out incredibly quickly. I'm glad the subs are of good quality as some people have been reporting in here and they want to go over them again and correct minor mistakes when they release the complete sub file. That's a full hour in 2 weeks (or less than 2 weeks, even) pretty much. I wonder if they can keep up the pace.. it must start wearing on you eventually.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

If you all like Downtown and especially Matsumoto, I strongly advise you to watch the Documentary "Professionals" about him. Its a documentary that follows him for 6 months and made me see Matsumoto in a completely different light. I suppose for some it might distract from the comedy in the future as it shows Matsumoto being very serious (and most importantly, smart) and the work ethics and chemistry and generally the relationship between him and Hamada and other Gaki members behind the scenes (like them never even looking at each other before their shows start, which is usually the first time they exchange any words).

It also gives good insight into just how much and how severly Matsumoto changed Japans comedy scene and how long and how absolutely peerless he has been at the top for most, if not all of the 20+ years he's been in the business.

You can find it all subbed here: clicky clicky.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) only the YT links work anymore after the whole MegaUpload dramarama. But they still all seem to be there and working. So go watch it!

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Crotch Bat posted:

It's always a bit eye opening to find out Downtown's real relationship. It's so very unique, at least from an American perspective. The Gaki group in general has weird dynamics but you can see some of the inner workings on the show and things like batsu games. Matsumoto apparently hangs out with Yamasaki from time to time(which is probably as good as it gets with Matsumoto) and Hamada and Endo have, apparently, a really good relationship. You can spot these in the batsu because Endo and Yamasaki usually end up targeting each respective member of Downtown more than the other.

I'm going off my own rather uninformed (at least about Japanese celebrities and their relationships etc.) opinion here but I'd say Downtowns real relationships with each other are very unique, even for Japan. It's just very strange to see them all seemingly get along so well and then never really interacting much with each other outside of their shows. They always gave me the feeling of actually being a group of 5 friends who would spend a lot of time together on and off of TV. It's almost kind of jarring to find out how "little" they actually get along in their private life. Matsumoto really dislikes Hamada a lot of times.

It makes me wonder when and why their relationship changed. I assume when they both started out as 18 year olds and formed their comedy duo they got along pretty well. I can see how after 20+ years you'd start going on each others nerves, especially if you have so many TV shows together. But on the other hand, I'd also think that going the whole way from starting out as a lowly new comedy duo and slowly but surely rising to the absolute comedy masters would bond them together big time.

Edit: Oh and somewhat related, since they mention it in the documentary, I highly recommend both Matsumoto movies to anyone who hasn't seen them yet. They're admittedly a bit "weird" to say the least and kind of confusing too, plot wise (if you wanna call that a plot) but both Symbol and Big Man Japan are really fun movies to watch if you usually like Matsumotos style of humor and comedy.

The ending to Big Man Japan made no sense to me whatsoever and the ending of Symbol is kind of open to interpretation I'd say, so don't expect cinematic masterpieces or anything. Still, definitely a recommended watch for all Matsumoto fans!

abraxas fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 25, 2012

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

WonderfulWino posted:

I found Symbol to be a minor materpiece.

For a Cinematic Masterpiece watch his latest film Scabbard Samurai. It's a superb film in every aspect.

I kind of agree with Symbol... it was a minor masterpiece. Very weird but totally watchable and I personally liked it a lot. I just think it's so very different from the Hollywood movies (or whatever) that we're used to, which might make it hard to sell to some people.

Is Scabbard Samurai the movie they were talking about in the documentary? I've read up on it a bit in the past but skipped it because I'm honestly not all that interested in Samurai movies and I kind of like actually seeing Matsumoto in his movies as opposed to just directing and producing them and having a small little cameo appearance. I also recall hearing it's not a funny movie which kinda put me off and made me forget about it back then. Maybe I should give it another chance!

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Anyone seen the new Gakifiles translation yet? (http://gakifiles.blogspot.de/2012/08/hamadas-no-trick-magic-show.html) It's pretty hilarious in the typical, masochist Hamada way. I cracked up when he did the trick with Tanaka and Endo where he pushes out the middle box and it's supposed to go all the way.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

phourniner posted:

I honestly thought Matsumoto was going to get a boner from all the nipple-twisting.

I don't know what it is with Hamada and being all up in everyones poo poo. I realize that it's for the show and all but so far he's assaulted Endos and Matsumotos nipples, and that's only what I can remember right away.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Man Jimmy Onishi counting in english was the first Gaki clip I ever saw ages ago on YouTube, long before I even knew what it was or how to get more of it.

I was just gonna post about being unsure about a monastery theme but teachers sounds great. I wonder if they're gonna do any callbacks to high school or maybe they'll do something with kids again. Depends on what kind of teachers they are and at which "school" I guess.

I have no idea if naked little boys teabagging Hamada would still fly on (japanese) tv in this day and age but that was definitely hilarious and unexpected back in the 24 hour tag back in the day.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Jamesman posted:

Would anyone be able to compile all the major GNT videos (24-hour tag, batsu, etc) into a torrent here? That would actually be super-helpful, since all the resources that seen to be available are either for streaming links, dead links, or absurdly long and tedious processes to get all the parts.

I would help you out but my Batsu Games folder (which includes a bunch of other poo poo like Big Man Japan, the Kiki series, the Absolutely Tasty series etc.) is 46.5 gigs big and my max upload speed is ~100kb/s. As much as I love sharing my GNT love, I don't think I wanna seed for like a month or something, sorry :(

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I find it a bit disappointing/annoying that apparently, with the current Batsu game being translated, all other GnT translations or whatever have been put on hold forever. Usually you can find something new or at least newly subbed on gakifiles, crazyontv or wherever. All there is now is links to the Batsu raws and links to the three translated parts that are out so far.

And no offense to the translation/subbing team, I think they're doing a pretty good job with it so far, but they already seem to be running into burnout and lack of motivation. Maybe I'm just too :tinfoil: about this but after starting out real fast, they've now not only lost speed because of their translators magically getting "sick", they also seem to have lost some quality in the subs themselves. Missed lines, swear words out of nowhere, spelling/typing errors (which I can totally forgive but c'mon, proofread your poo poo at least once). It's a little disheartening and I feel like everyone involved knew well in advance that they're not just subbing a half hour episode of some J-Drama.

Basically, I hope they can get back on track again soon and we don't end up with 3 hours translated and the rest is forgotten forever because everyone involved just goes "meh, gently caress it" in the end.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Synthetic Hermit posted:

The batsu gets more insane every year. Endo getting the rear end cannon was epic.

That made me laugh so hard. It was such a juvenile and in all honesty stupid thing to do but it was so unexpected and... well, "powerful" for a lack of a better word that I just burst out laughing like mad. Total insanity. I really do hope they keep doing these for many years to come, despite them kinda getting up there in age and complaining a lot.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

ruttivendolo posted:

He turned 50 a few days ago. Congrats BlackJackRobocopItao!

Did you really mix up the effin Terminator with Robocop? Shame on you.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

To be fair, people were crazy convinced it was gonna be a Nun/Church theme or some poo poo last year based on that leaked picture of the bus and it turned out to not be that at all. I'm looking forward to it in any case because I love Batsu games!

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

They posted the second part of the Letters to Hamada thing on teamgaki.com today. I'm gonna put this in spoiler tags so only read it after you watched it but it was good, but extremely disappointing that we didn't get to hear Matsumotos letter. His was easily the one I was most interested in. All the others were really good (even though I thought Hoseis was a bit short considering he's known Hamada the longest) but Matsumotos would've probably been really emotional and heartfelt and also offered some insights into things that nobody had really heard before.

Oh well, I'm glad they're doing the Batsu game. I've been on a Batsu game binge during my christmas/new years vacation from work and I already watched the non-subbed version of the newest one. It was really funny but it'll probably be ten times as funny if I don't have to skip over big parts where I don't know what the crap is going on :v:

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

What "worries" me the most (if you wanna call it worrying) is that the little snippet on their page says one of their translators wants to sub this in German too. I'm German myself and all but I'm sure there is gonna be enough burnout and most definitely enough work to get everything subbed and done in English, so double dipping right from the start seems like a recipe for disaster to me.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Jesus these guys are on a roll. I can't help being the snarky internet nerd but I feel like at this rate something horrible is bound to happen, like they completely burn themselves out and the last hour is never gonna be subbed or something :v:

I already thought they did a good job last year but as people mentioned in the thread before, I guess getting a good number of translators speeds things along incredibly.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Does it really matter either way though? If you start thinking about the details and everything too much all you're doing in the end is detracting from your own enjoyment. Along with all the roulettes, there's a number of things in the different Batsu games that could potentially be fake as hell too. There's always the question of "Is the water REALLY as hot as they're pretending it is?" just to name one example. Or how everyone is always scared of even the tiniest noises or things happening but as soon as Heipo comes running, they're all suddenly perfectly fine and content kicking his rear end just to go back to being super scaredy cats afterwards.

There's a million different little things like that but once you start overanalyzing everything you'll just end up not enjoying the Batsu games as much. And nobody wants that!

On a slightly different note, they're sure taking their time for the last two parts. Not that I'm mad or anything, I was just really hoping to spend my weekend watching the rest of the Batsu and still nothing :(

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

That's a little sad, though understandable. They had such a good start and there's "only" two more parts but, as you say, real life can catch up quickly and they're basically doing it for free so another week or two won't matter in the long run.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I really love the don't get scared parts but what I've never understood, right from the first one on, is that they always say "You can laugh from now on but if you get scared, you're out". I suppose the being scared part is enough punishment but they're never really "out" in the general sense of the Batsu, not even at the end or anything.

Just seems weird to me that they'd explicitely mention it year after year. If they just said "alright guys you can laugh from now on but be prepared to get scared a lot!" or something it wouldn't change anything and be less "confusing". Really doesn't detract from the enjoyment of it all but I guess it's just a little pet peeve of mine that I've noticed over the years.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I agree that it's gotten a bit formulaic over the past few years. I think they feel pressured to constantly outdo themselves each year and it's getting increasingly harder. There's really not a whole lot more you can do to make it, I dunno, funnier or more over the top. Really, what more can you do after renting out an entire goddamn airport or time-traveling back to olden times? They already have to "resort" (for a lack of a better word) to things like having Chono show up twice. Obviously there are still brilliant bits in the whole deal, like the DVDs this year or the Elite Salt bit, but by now it's sort of gotten to the point where people pretty much know what to expect when seeing a prop or a funny person show up.

It's kind of hard for me to find the right words to describe what I mean. I don't mean to sound overly negative or anything. I love the Batsu games to pieces and I'll probably hope for a quick sub every year until the end of times. What I mean is that nowadays it's less new, surprising stuff and more stuff they've done before but changed slightly. There's less surprises or new things and more of "Oh I've seen this gag before, I wonder what they'll do with it this time!" (eg: every Jimmy video, the Tanaka DVDs, Chono, even the bus rides kind of count I guess). It's not necessarily a bad or awful thing but I think it does make it feel more formulaic when you can basically sketch out which parts come where before even watching the Batsu. Does that make any sense to anyone but me?

I'm sort of indifferent towards the whole discussion about letting either everyone participate or having a roulette like thing to determine who participates and who masterminds it behind the scenes. I think both formats have produced great Batsus so whatever works, I'll take it. I honestly think Downtown will continue doing these until they literally are unable to walk or bend over to get slapped on their asses. They've all done it after being hurt/having an operation (at least Hosei and Matsumoto come to mind) and I think as long as they're at least somewhat physically capable, they won't pull out. I think both Hamada and Matsumoto are absolute work horses and you will probably have to force them to stop rather than them going "Oh yeah I don't wanna do this anymore". And as long as these two go, I think Cocorico and Hosei will feel somewhat obligated to continue, too.

One thing I'm incredibly sad about, though, is that they never plan for any sleeping or night time activities anymore, save for the "don't get scared" bits, I guess. I think my absolute favorite Batsu memory that still makes me crack up every time I watch it, despite knowing exactly what and when it's coming, is from the Police Batsu. When they try to sleep and Endo and Hamada just crack up every time "Show hey heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey!" blares over the speakers, I just lose it.

I understand this is probably something they decided on because it usually took away a lot of "gag time", even if they weren't getting a lot of sleep. It was usually near the end and just kind of left them awkwardly getting up, walking out, getting butt-slapped once or twice more and then going home to end the show which was always a bit weird. And I assume their age kinda plays a role in it too. Who wants to get barely any sleep on crappy futons on the floor somewhere when you could just bust out another couple hours of funny stuff and then go home to your actual real bed and sleep all night and the next day too. Still, I'd rather they do away with their weird little conferences or something and bring back the sleep (or no sleep!) torture :v:

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Stare-Out posted:

The Show Hey Heeeeeey bit is still by far the funniest moment from any Batsu game as far as I'm concerned. It just kept getting funnier and funnier. Overall the weakest parts tend to be the ones where the comedy comes from something or someone else other than the guys themselves (all we get are their reactions) which is a strange thing to do when all of them are professional comedians and more than able to carry more of the show than they do nowadays.

I'm also a huge fan of "Konya ga Yamada" and the various permutations they had him record. "Konya ga Yamada fuuuu~" cracks me up like a 10 year old schoolboy. I don't know how but that and Show hey hey somehow never, ever get old. I'd say my least favorite parts are usually the ones where you really notice the difference in eastern and western comedy. Things like those conferences where they tell funny/embarassing stories about random people just never really get me that much. Same goes for the parts in the Hot Spring Batsus where Itao comes in and keeps scolding Tanaka for not showing up when they were supposed to meet. Or that other guy who has his "foreigner friend" butting in constantly, asking him to "tell that joke again". They usually confuse me more than they make me laugh. I mean I laugh because the guys crack up but I think there's just too big of a difference in the "comedy culture" for me to really get or appreciate those parts.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

If you guys are jonesing for some more funny Japanese stuff, I recommend you check out the channel BEGIRAGONS on YouTube.

They're all (or most of them) fully subtitled in excellent quality and they're funny as hell. They think up their own games and record episodes and release them on YouTube twice a week.

What they've done so far (links go to the playlists):
  • Hamburger Game:
    The guys are on vacation in LA and decide to rent a car to try out the "Top 10 Hamburger Places" there. They put a "roulette wheel" on their front tire and whoevers name it stops on when they park at the Burger Place has to go in, order the "most popular combo" and eat it all while they drive to the next place. Starts out innocent enough but ends in total chaos.
  • Strip Roulette Convertible Car Game:
    The guys take a trip to Mt Fuji in a convertible car in the middle of winter. Whoever the car roulette stops on has to strip off a piece of clothing.
  • Vending Machine Game:
    Walk home through Tokyo and stop at every vending machine you see. Roll the dice to see how many bottles of what you have to buy and carry with you. I guess I don't have to mention that the players look like pack mules by the end.
  • No sleeping Challenge:
    Megwin gets kidnapped and put into a room with nothing but a window and a chair. He has to stay up for 100 hours. Every hour he has to roll a die to see if he gets something that helps him stay awake or something that will make him fall asleep. Hilarious torture ensues :v:
  • Convenience Store Game: (This playlist is incomplete at the time of me posting this, all the videos can be found from their channel tho)
    Walk home from the train station and stop at every Convenience Store on the way. Roll the dice to see what item you have to buy and eat/drink until you arrive at the next store. They only just released the English subtitled "Directors Cut" version of this, despite it being one of their earliest games. Previously only available in Japanese.
  • Tokyo Train Game: (New series, link goes to the trailer)
    They started this game only today and will be releasing two videos a week (every Tuesday and Friday). Travel the whole Keio Inokashira line station by station. Every station one of 6 cards is drawn, determining the mode of transportation to get to the next station (by train, hitchhiking, walking, army crawling or riding on a kids tricycle). Can Megwin make it to the last station before the trains stop running?

I hope you guys enjoy it at least half as much as I did!

abraxas fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

It looks like the guys over at TeamGaki are prepping to release the final three parts together? I mean it's been quite some time now so I'm not holding out hope for anything amazing, but parts 8, 9 and 10 all slowly but surely moved over to "Quality/English Check" which is the last step before prepping for release. So whenever they get through that task in 4 months they'll probably release the last couple of parts all at once and last years Batsu Game will finally be watchable from start to finish without me having to guess what's going on.