Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

Sweet, sweet snakemoney. I'm happy two favorite races got to the finals, good jobs you guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Jazzimus Prime posted:

It looks like there's some rebalancing to be done, such as ungimping the big fighters on points, making warhammers more pricey and mauls cheaper, giving yetis a little more willpower, and maybe doing something to make snakebites a little less overpowered.

I'd recommend switching maces to using hammer skill, so that there's a smashy weapon smaller races can use, but is weaker than warhammers, while still requiring the same skill, so that they can eventually upgrade. Probably drop its price a bit, too.

All big dudes need more willpower, it's just the Yetis that are the most obvious example. I also insist on undoing the big guy size reduction from one of the previous rounds. Bring Yetis back to size 300 instead of 270, and similar size changes for Trolls, and maybe even Minotaurs.

Biting doesn't really need a nerf. It's very easy to negate, adds a lot of flavor to fights, and winning here doesn't prove it's overpowered, merely that it's a viable build in the right circumstances. The easiest (and IMHO best) way to balance it is to bring down snakemen points to human/dwarf/elf/goblin level. I'm actually primarily asking for this point nerf because of Tin Can. Were it not for Silverminnow's brilliant gambit, I can guarantee she'd have won the tournament without needing a single upgrade from her build for that match. (I tested it)

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

my dad posted:

I'm actually primarily asking for this point nerf because of Tin Can. Were it not for Silverminnow's brilliant gambit, I can guarantee she'd have won the tournament without needing a single upgrade from her build for that match. (I tested it)

Remind me to post this fight. Your dude the round he lost vs flossy, and then against Paranoid.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Well, my betting instincts did not lead me to riches. Great fun watching the semis and the finals, though.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.

Maarak posted:

Hell yeah, now I can test Bob the Blocker. Can he block it, yes he can!

Two-shielder?
I guess I won't need to do that myself, then. Go snakeman, for some form of offense.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
My development server has crapped out (don't worry, everything is backed up), so we'll have to wait another week or two for the replacement to arrive and get set up.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well let's just have a quick look here...

pre:
$ hostname
fuckrogers.local
I think I found the problem

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Spermy Smurf posted:

Remind me to post this fight. Your dude the round he lost vs flossy, and then against Paranoid.

It'd be cool to have an all-champions melee too.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
That was a badass final match, slight balance issues aside.

Jazzimus Prime posted:

It looks like there's some rebalancing to be done, such as ungimping the big fighters on points, making warhammers more pricey and mauls cheaper, giving yetis a little more willpower, and maybe doing something to make snakebites a little less overpowered.

Then we can start another test tournament maybe this weekend. If there's still interest.

Let me know if I can add anything to the OP, Jazzimus.

I'm in the middle of bar prep but come August I can help out some, maybe even run a small tourney. Or at least participate.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Vox Nihili posted:

That was a badass final match, slight balance issues aside.

Let me know if I can add anything to the OP, Jazzimus.

I'm in the middle of bar prep but come August I can help out some, maybe even run a small tourney. Or at least participate.

Welcome back! :woop: As always, you have permanent full admin privileges on the site, since this whole thing was your idea. And you're always welcome to run your own thing here, but by all means, your career comes first. Be a part of this when you can, but take care of yourself and your own when you must.

The OP is fine for now, I think. Unless anyone else thinks it should be updated with something?

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
Vox lives!

We're still trying to move to a new thread, aren't we? It might be better to save the big OP for that.

Maybe there could be a link to the start of the most recent touney at the top so newcomers can get to the current action?

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007

Jazzimus Prime posted:

The OP is fine for now, I think. Unless anyone else thinks it should be updated with something?

A giant ASCII picture of a snakeman biting a Yeti's Left Third Toe. The Yeti is cowering. It menaces with spikes of Dwarf Bone.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jazzimus Prime posted:

I think the rules on armor layering and prices are a bit out of date, and that should just be a fairly quick copypaste to fix.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Tunicate posted:

I think the rules on armor layering and prices are a bit out of date, and that should just be a fairly quick copypaste to fix.

Do you know where the current rules/prices are posted? I'd be happy to paste new values in.

quote:

Maybe there could be a link to the start of the most recent touney at the top so newcomers can get to the current action?

I'll add this.

Edit: Added the link and a short disclaimer to the top of the OP.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 20, 2015

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Also, if anyone recalls the winner of the third tournament (fighter's name and poster's name), let me know and I can add it to the OP. At the very least, it will be convenient to add all that to the next OP when the time comes, so each of the winners can be properly recognized.

Edit: OK, I think I have it figured out. Added them to the OP.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 21, 2015

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It was me

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Can confirm. Munki technically did win a tournament. And he actually helped on the way to victory.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
OP has been updated to recognize Bad Munki's unique achievements.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

Do you know where the current rules/prices are posted? I'd be happy to paste new values in.

Can't find the full list, sadly - this is the most comprehensive thing I found, but it doesn't include changes like 'you can only have one helm or cap total on your head', which I'd have to ask Jazzimus about to get the full details on.

quote:

Weapons

Whip contact area increased to 35, velocity reduced to 3000.
Picks use misc obj skill.
Axe and great axe strike velocity increased from 1250 to 1500.
Reduced penetration depth of pick from 4000 to 3000, reduced velocity from 2000 to 1500.
Increased size (volume and mass) of maul from 1300 to 1500.
Contact area of axe hacking strike reduced from 40000 to 2000, slap reduced from 40000 to 10000, pommel strike from 100 to 80.
Contact area of short sword slash strike reduced from 20000 to 3500, slap reduced from 20000 to 5000, pommel strike from 100 to 80.
Spear shaft bash contact area reduced from 10000 to 2000.
Crossbow bash contact area reduced from 10000 to 350 (imagine using the solid butt instead of the entire unwieldy bow, makes sense).
Bow bash contact area reduced from 10000 to 600, velocity increased from 1250 to 1500.
Pike shaft bash contact area reduced from 10000 to 2500, stab contact area increased from 20 to 25, size increased from 800 to 900.
Halberd slashing strike contact area reduced from 20000 to 3500, shaft bash contact area reduced from 20000 to 5000.
Two-handed sword slash contact area reduced from 100000 (jeez) to 7000, slap contact area reduced from 100000 to 10000, pommel strike
contact reduced from 100 to 90.
Long sword slashing contact area reduced from 60000 to 5000, slap contact from 60000 to 7500, pommel strike contact from 100 to 80.
Great axe hacking contact area reduced from 60000 to 4000, slap contact from 60000 to 8000, pommel strike contact from 100 to 90.
Large dagger slashing contact area reduced from 1000 to 800, stabbing contact area increased from 5 to 8, stabbing penetration increased from 1000 to 1200.
Scourge contact area increased from 10 to 50, penetration increased from 50 to 100, size decreased from 300 to 200.
War hammer contact area increased from 10 to 15.
Mace contact area increased from 20 to 25.
Bolt contact area increased from 2 to 4, penetration increased from 2000 to 2500.
Arrow contact area increased from 2 to 5, penetration increased from 2000 to 2500, size increased from 150 to 175.

Armor

Leather gloves now cover lower arms as well as hands.
Body mail reduced to 95% coverage to prevent deadlocks. Breast plates, body leather armor, and most other armor still at 100%.
Caps increased from 50% to 75% coverage.
Helms reduced to 98% coverage.
Buckler blockchance increased from 10 to 12. Shield remains at 20.

Creatures

Removed [NATURAL_SKILL] tags from gremlins, stranglers, and minotaurs.
Removed [SLOW_LEARNER] tags from werewolves and trolls.
Removed [ARENA_RESTRICTED] tag from molemarians.
Added [CAN_LEARN] tags to molemarians, stranglers, and yetis.
Gremlins receive agility++, toughness+, endurance+
Dark gnomes receive agility+, strength+
Stranglers get strength+++ (MASSIVE boost)
Serpent men given strength++, toughness++, endurance++, agility-
Soldier ant women get strength++, endurance++
Molemarians now have agility-, endurance+, recuperation+, and toughness++ (still have no nerves as well).
Tigermen at strength+, toughness+, agility-
Werewolves changed to agility+, strength-, endurance++, recuperation++
Minotaurs now strength++, agility-. Their ridiculous previous stats have otherwise been dialed back to average.
Trolls at strength+, toughness++, recuperation+, endurance-, agility--
Yetis set at agility--, endurance--, strength+
Dwarves given endurance+ in addition to previous stats.
Elves given toughness- in addition to previous stats.
Kobolds get to keep their already incredible stats, size increased from 20 to 25!
Goblins keep their good stats.
Humans keep their neutral stats.
Gremlin size increased from 10 to 12.
Dark gnome size increased from 15 to 18.
Werewolves reduced in size from 120 to 110.
Tigermen increased in size from 120 to 130.
Minotaurs shrunk from 220 to 200.
Trolls shrunk from 250 to 230.
Yetis shrunk from 300 to 270.
Added [ARENA_RESTRICTED] tags to giant damselflies and damselfly men, as these creatures interfered with the creation of elves via macro.

Tissue

Bone pain receptors reduced from 50 to 15.
Bone vascular increased from 3 to 5.
Muscle pain receptors increased from 5 to 6.
Skin pain receptors increased from 5 to 6.
Lung pain receptors increased from 5 to 8.
Heart pain receptors increased from 5 to 8.
Liver, gut, stomach, pancreas, spleen, kidney pain receptors increased from 5 to 8.
Gut and stomach vascular increased from 3 to 5.
Eye pain receptors increased from 5 to 10, mostly to abstract an impact on battle-readiness due to partial blinding.
Chitin thickness increased from 1 to 2 (boost for ant women).
Scale thickness increased from 1 to 2 (boost for serpent men).

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Tunicate has an accurate list of the changes to the raw files.

Out of the box, the default raws for DF2014 only allow one cap or helm on a fighter's head, and I haven't figured out how to modify that. So it's technically not a raw change, but it is a rule change. The only similar out-of-the-box change I can think of is that Werewolves were no longer a species out-of-the-box with the lycanthropy changes, but I've modded Arena Werewolves back in.

As for the current prices, those are set by league now, and we have an "official" league and a couple of "unofficial" leagues for testing. I think we'll probably do one more test before returning to the official league.

Also, I have a new development server almost all set up (still need to install Git and a few other things on it), so it shouldn't be long now before the next one.

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jun 25, 2015

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Here are the early changes I've put in place for the next tournament:

- Points assigned by race have been further normalized (gremlins now only get twice as many as yetis), as follows:
pre:
Race                   Points
                To Start    Per Victory
Gremlin             2400    1600
Dark Gnome          2250    1500
Kobold              2100    1400
Strangler           1875    1250
Serpent Man         1800    1200
Soldier Ant Woman   1950    1300
Dwarf               1800    1200
Elf                 1800    1200
Goblin              1800    1200
Human               1800    1200
Molemarian          1350     900
Werewolf            1575    1050
Tigerman            1425     950
Minotaur            1350     900
Troll               1275     850
Yeti                1200     800
- Mauls are significantly cheaper (reduced from 260 points to 200)

- Yetis now have strength+, toughness+, willpower++, agility-, endurance-

---

Another change I'm considering is to narrow the attribute ranges. Currently, attributes can have a wide range of values, like so:
pre:
Suffix    Range    Median
---        0-500     300
--         0-1100    750
-        150-1500    900
none     200-2000   1000
+        450-2250   1250
++       700-2500   1500
+++     1250-5000   2000
max     5000-5000   5000
This seems to imply that it's possible for a very lucky troll (which has Agility--) to generate with a greater agility value than a very unlucky gremlin (which has Agility++). We've already made a similar change to narrow the range of physical creature size within each race (arena creatures in fact will now always generate at their race's median size).

Any thoughts or other suggestions before we start the next test tournament are welcome.

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jul 1, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'd like to repeat my suggestion to make maces slightly cheaper and have them use hammer skill instead of mace skill. There's no reason to use them now because you'd be locked into a weapon strictly inferior to a warhammer, but using a different skill, so upgrading it is not really an option.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Normalizing the stats looks important, and I'd actually agree with my dad on the clobberin' consolidation.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Narrower attribute ranges sound like a good idea. No objections to mace reclassification.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Mace reclassification makes sense, but requires a bit more work on the database side. I had already put buyable flags on items, materials, items by league, and materials by league, but I never considered setting things up to make a skill unbuyable.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bah, random stats should be rolled exactly once - at the beginning of the tournament - and an unholy combination of dfhack scripts and raw tweaks are to be used to keep combatant stat gain and loss consistent across all fights.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

Bah, random stats should be rolled exactly once - at the beginning of the tournament - and an unholy combination of dfhack scripts and raw tweaks are to be used to keep combatant stat gain and loss consistent across all fights.
If we could keep wounds consistent across battles that would make for a hilarious tournament.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Pickled Tink posted:

If we could keep wounds consistent across battles that would make for a hilarious tournament.

Semifinals matches everyone bleeds out the moment the fight starts

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tunicate posted:

Hasn't the arena not actually rolled random stats for, like, a whole pile of major versions, now? I thought that was a thing of the ancient past, and there was much rejoicing in the DF Arena thread at the time that went away.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

Hasn't the arena not actually rolled random stats for, like, a whole pile of major versions, now? I thought that was a thing of the ancient past, and there was much rejoicing in the DF Arena thread at the time that went away.

There was much rejoicing when we got rid of random sizes, and when DF2010/2012/2014 (who knows which) came along we were talking about the removal of explicitly stated ('He is bound in muscle', etc.) random stats. We never took any steps to remove unstated random stats, because I don't think many of us knew they were there.

I definitely agree with removing them (assuming that fixing them for individual gladiators at tournament creation isn't an option), as well as reclassifying maces so there is a weapon progression for bash-type weapons.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pickled Tink posted:

dfhack dudes just said they're almost able to control the wounds system.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Tunicate posted:

quote:

This could be done if you don't mind a one-shot "tournament" that is played through entirely in one sitting. Basically, one could design a series of initially separate but effectively linked rings in arena mode, each with the usual 2 competitors (or 1 competitor and another waiting just outside to enter). All of the first rounds could take place simultaneously (though this isn't strictly necessary). Winners would then be brought to the adjoining arena(s) to fight with remaining survivors in accordance with a preconceived bracket. Advancing the participants to the next ring would require either using certain arena tools (dfhack?) or more likely taking control of one of the characters to make them climb over walls to bring them into line of sight before relinquishing control.

It would be tedious and incredibly sensitive to user error, but dammit, your fighter would carry his scars, attributes, injuries, and his ~wavy, chestnut brown hair~ from the beginning to the end.

It also might be doable in a single afternoon, which is a plus.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
If you guys make me do 'entire afternoon don't close the game or you have to start over completely' tournaments, then you all can go play with a bag of dicks in traffic.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Vox Nihili posted:

This could be done if you don't mind a one-shot "tournament" that is played through entirely in one sitting. Basically, one could design a series of initially separate but effectively linked rings in arena mode, each with the usual 2 competitors (or 1 competitor and another waiting just outside to enter). All of the first rounds could take place simultaneously (though this isn't strictly necessary). Winners would then be brought to the adjoining arena(s) to fight with remaining survivors in accordance with a preconceived bracket. Advancing the participants to the next ring would require either using certain arena tools (dfhack?) or more likely taking control of one of the characters to make them climb over walls to bring them into line of sight before relinquishing control.

It would be tedious and incredibly sensitive to user error, but dammit, your fighter would carry his scars, attributes, injuries, and his ~wavy, chestnut brown hair~ from the beginning to the end.

I think you'd have to have a little time between each round where you just run the game clock but don't let the fighters see each other so they can heal up as best as possible (or possibly die?) because otherwise, you'd have one fighter who finished his fight quick hanging out healing while two yetis took turns passing out at each other for six months, and then rushing straight off to the next fight once one of them yawns himself to death.

Still, I really really like the idea. Lose an arm early on? BUMMER!

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Why even complicate it this much? Build a 'bracket' shaped arena. Position fighters and go. It should work that they always attack the closest enemy, so the bracket *should* eventually resolve to a final in the centre.

It'd be a single run thing and an absolute bitch to keep track of, but could be done. Give me a few weeks and I should have the time to run it.

VV Feature, not bug.

Bene Elim fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 6, 2015

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bene Elim posted:

Why even complicate it this much? Build a 'bracket' shaped arena. Position fighters and go. It should work that they always attack the closest enemy, so the bracket *should* eventually resolve to a final in the centre.

It'd be a single run thing and an absolute bitch to keep track of, but could be done. Give me a few weeks and I should have the time to run it.

The victor from a fast fight could easily spill over into an ongoing fight, making the funnel-arena really more of battle royale. If you're going to keep it as 1v1 fights, you need some way to force separation during each stage.

Does dfhack work in the arena? If so, it'd be a cinch to modify the map during play.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

The victor from a fast fight could easily spill over into an ongoing fight, making the funnel-arena really more of battle royale. If you're going to keep it as 1v1 fights, you need some way to force separation during each stage.
Balances fast fighters against slow ones, and ensures that they won't spend a bunch of time healing instead of fighting.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

I think you'd have to have a little time between each round where you just run the game clock but don't let the fighters see each other so they can heal up as best as possible (or possibly die?) because otherwise, you'd have one fighter who finished his fight quick hanging out healing while two yetis took turns passing out at each other for six months, and then rushing straight off to the next fight once one of them yawns himself to death.

Still, I really really like the idea. Lose an arm early on? BUMMER!

With "breaks" between matches you can also force them to do things like pick up their weapon with their remaining arm or even go grab new ammunition.

Healing would take forever, though. They'd get over the exhaustion eventually, but I think they'd probably lose more blood rather than start to heal up (unless you leave it running for twenty minutes or something). It might make super-healing attributes worthwhile, though.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
I haven't forgotten this, I've just been really busy lately and am just now getting all the changes finished and tested.

Among the changes on the website side of things for this tournament:
- Site now allows administrators to enable/disable skills, either globally or by league (complete and tested, required for Maces to use Hammer skill)
- Site will now store fighter build history across rounds (complete, currently testing). I'll eventually add a page that lets you look up build history, but that feature probably won't make it in this time.
- Site will assign fighters points as soon as they join a tournament (not completed yet)

I'm hoping we can kick off another test tournament in about a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I will be done by then so I am good to go.

• Locked thread