Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Golden Brown, the Strangler, stands ready to die for our entertainment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Vox Nihili posted:

I'm planning another marathon session of updates tomorrow morning, and might get a fight in tonight as well.

Awesome. C'mon Golden Brown!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Basil Brush posted:

Well... crap. I guess I can afford to lose an arm now

I'll try to oblige you.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Ah well, he very nearly managed to master the art of not being hit. Definitely needed work on the art of hitting, he should've been handy with that scourge.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Glen Starr has been sent in.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Now that's more like it. Despite a horrible leg wound, Glen Starr performed admirably. Still problems with getting knocked over, though.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Man, that was brutal. Glen Starr is proving to be downright nasty: The image of a three-eyed monstrosity shattering bones and severing limbs with a jagged iron scourge held in all four arms is not one I want in my head late at night. Also:

quote:

Robert the Spruce vomits.
Glen Starr bites Robert the Spruce in the upper right back tooth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

:stare:

That's another image I don't particularly want. Still, the little psychopath is doing well.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
That match report is a thing of beauty. Next question is, what are Glen Starr's chances against Broseidon? This could be messy.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
I've created a monster. Dancing around breaking bones with each pass, until the other guy collapses and the horrid three-eyed monkey-thing grabs hold of the head with two of its arms...

quote:

Glen Starr lashes Broseidon, King of the Brocean in the head with his iron scourge, bruising the muscle and shattering the skull through the large iron helm!
Glen Starr lashes Broseidon, King of the Brocean in the head with his iron scourge, bruising the muscle and shattering the upper spine's bone and bruising the nervous tissue through the large iron helm!
The Broseidon, King of the Brocean loses hold of the steel two-handed sword.
Glen Starr lashes Broseidon, King of the Brocean in the head with his iron scourge, bruising the muscle and shattering the upper spine's bone and bruising the nervous tissue through the large iron helm!
Glen Starr lashes Broseidon, King of the Brocean in the head with his iron scourge, bruising the muscle, shattering the skull and bruising the brain through the large iron helm!

And shrieking in monkey-rage, just pounds on its head until there's nothing left in the helm but a glutinous pinkish-grey paste.

What has mutant monkey-scourge science wrought?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

VladTheEater posted:

The end result, I believe, is that scourges are a little overpowered right now. Even in the hands of a small fighter, they can cut deeply into armored targets. Worse, they are very easily able to sever tendons and nerves (unlike whips that generally only dealt bone-chipping damage). It's surprising that so few people have used them but I expect that to change unless they're nerfed or modified next tournament.

I think gut hits are a little too debilitating but I'm not sure what could be done to fix that. Mad Cow had a solid advantage until a single bruising guts hit completely wrecked him.

Ultimately, [weaponskill+dodge] may not be a creative build but it is most definitely effective.

Congratulations, hail victory to AJ_Impy and his champion, Glen Starr!

Awesome. Thanks for running this, Vlad: a very entertaining side-tournament, especially GO/B0T's take on things. Interesting that the final was between those focused on not getting hit rather than optimising for hits not mattering. Also, I was wondering if anyone else noticed how effective the Scourge was given its stats. If my similar-build fighter in the main tournament had ever landed a hit before dying, it's interesting to speculate where he would have ended up with more points on him.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

VladTheEater posted:

The previous round, the iron scourge managed to slice right through Werewolf-sized Steel Mail, though!

And in case anyone wants an easy way to reference the tournament and its brackets: http://challonge.com/vlad2, combat logs are posted for each round

I wonder if that's due to mail being more flexible, thus letting more damage through as opposed to a solid plate? Would Toady have modelled that?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Hmm. The threat of an iron scourge may have been overstated.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Krysmphoenix posted:

Yeah, I've noticed that focusing on Dodging or Shield just really isn't good, and that a balance of Defense and Offense is much better. Really high dodging will help you survive a couple would-be hits...but unless you can retaliate, there is no real hope for you.

Yeah, high dodging paired with a high weapon skill in a decent weapon is effective, but that can be tricky to balance on first round points.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Shootey McShootalot.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Kobold PMed.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Bad Munki posted:

You guys better look out, I spent all of my points, none of this stopping-at-2700 business!

As did I. Don't want it to be too easy, do we?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
I've got a few theories as to what is guaranteed to fail: I look forward to seeing if I'm right.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
I considered the best ways of using up the points in a losing manner, and went for strategies weak against those.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Vox Nihili posted:

By the way, did you people buy any skills with your points? Cuz I sure didnt. :smuggo:

There's something I didn't buy, but it's a lot better at guaranteeing a loss than a point in skills here or there...

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

ZeeToo posted:

:siren: Veryslightlymad :siren: check your PMs to avoid a default.

Oh joy, my opponent. Can I ask if he does default that we run the fight anyway as a dead rubber? I'd like to see how much of a chance I don't have in future rounds.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Beautiful. Two of the most expensive but weak against armor weapons the points could buy, and very little else, in a format where most of the opposition used armor to soak up points and slow their kobolds.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Hang on a sec.

Fight log posted:

Genghis Kan't stabs Cyclonus in the right upper leg with his large platinum dagger, bruising the fat through the small silver mail shirt!
Genghis Kan't stabs Cyclonus in the left lower leg with his large platinum dagger, but the attack is deflected by Cyclonus's small adamantine chain leggings!
Cyclonus stabs Genghis Kan't in the left lower arm with his platinum long sword, tearing apart the fat!
The platinum long sword has lodged firmly in the wound!

Zeetoo, did you set up the fighters correctly? Why is my unarmoured gladiator wearing adamantine leggings and a silver mail shirt? Why is he wielding a platinum long sword?

EDIT:

Ah, I see. You did, but then set things to rights afterward.

fight log posted:

Genghis Kan't has bled to death.
** Starting New Arena **
Cyclonus attacks Genghis Kan't but He jumps away!

Fair enough, I should've given him less weapon skill.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Mar 2, 2012

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Stables of fighters. I like it.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Beautiful. Teller's commentary is all I hoped it would be and so much more.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
My oath. A Goblin just took out a Tigerman. Come on Dies!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
N+1 dibs.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
I have expended some dorfbux! I bet against Dies, because either I get richer than Croesus, or I see Dies through to the semis. Win-win!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
I'm sorry to see Dies go, but my sadness is tempered by the huge pile of dorfbux putting me up on the leaderboard.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Duckaerobics posted:

I thought a strangler armed with flails won the last tournament?

Not exactly. That was my fighter, Glen Starr, who won a side event run by Viola the Mad way back in 2011 in this thread.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Bad Munki posted:

I feel the two fighters may not have started on equal footing. Maybe.

Since when would the great Bad Munki consider anyone his equal? :colbert:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
11th in the betting, I think that's the first time I've made a net positive from a tournament. Congratulations Anchors, Strangler managers represent!

:respek:
:respek:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
I'm in.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Team 12

Scrree, Tesla Cola, you're with me. Renaming accordingly

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Oh, great, my team of small folk is going to be fighting the one with the Minotaur. Seems we won't be winning round one!

On the plus side, two Kobolds and a Goblin will have a lot of points to invest.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Scrree posted:

Yeah, I felt stressed for points making my Serpentman and looking at how less points the bigger dudes get I see why so many of them walk into the arena basically naked except for their weapon.

Happy with the name? If you want to discuss strategy, I'm reachable by message, email, skype, irc or most anything you'd prefer.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Telsa Cola posted:

I would love some strategy talk, Can we get on skype?

Certainly. Look for the AJ with the big yellow smirking face.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Telsa Cola posted:

Thanks, sent you a message.

Haven't received it. What's your skype handle?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Monday is good. Let's see how well the tiny trio fare against three of the nastiest critters ever to step into the pixellated circle.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Rock and roll!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
That was brutal.

• Locked thread