Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
D) All of the above

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
This is your vengeance for making everyone cast the match, isn't it?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I volunteer to be on bad munki's team, if only to play a wrestling gremlin and laugh at his failure.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I shall have my man engage enemy men in glorious combat

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Size Doesn't Matter the gremlin is now in the tourney.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
what skill effects your ability to not get grabbed?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Looks like I'm teamed up with team 6, Ninjavitis and Boing. Our team lineup looks workable at least.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Jazzimus Prime posted:

It looks like that name hadn't been taken already, so... there you go.

http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/view_fighter.php?528

Can you change "Size Doesn't Matter's" name to Whip it out ?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

Ehh, he was also a level 14 striker, level 14 armor user, level 12 dodger, and some odd number of levels in fighting. And in his defense, he was bruising up his foe pretty well for a while, until he took an unlucky shot that literally exploded his foot. v:shobon:v

But I didn't really think it would work. However, if it had worked? Would've been fuckin' awesome, man.

Choosing a race with more strength probably would have worked out for you better. If you picked a human, you could even make boxing jokes.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
First Blood :black101:

I wanted to comment on Boing's neat build but I didn't want to let the cat out of the bag too early. A pretty good first match for the team!

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Yes, those are Cat Stevens's teeth.

"Love bites Cat Stevens in the teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!"

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Ramc posted:

We didn't want to tip our hands before the tourney started but our gimmick is killing the poo poo out of our enemies without taking any meaningful injuries.

Resurrecting our foes is LIKE recycling, so Compost Day approves I guess.

Well my team's gimmick is praying that everyone picks decent builds.

(apparently it worked out all right!)

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Really, gnomelette, whips? Everybody knows scourges are the go to small guy weapon.

Also holy poo poo that first shot.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

apostateCourier posted:

Jack. Jack was his name. I also agree with this notion. That one's going to be hard to top.

So, Jack is back?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

perpetulance posted:

Grimdark was shooting at the very brisk speed afforded to archers in this patch.

Jazzimus Prime posted:

As soon as the bell rang, kobold archer Grimdark the Smiley released a perfect arrow shot to Sister Abigail's forehead for the earliest kill of the tournament thus far.

Apparently that speed is fast enough

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Spermy Smurf posted:

I do too. I honestly thought it would be a lot more like 3-2.

One guy with the right type of armor messes up the "naked and skilled" crowd for sure. In our fight Paper hit Whip It four or five times and didnt get through the armor. My moleman and Love hit the iron-covered tiger a whole lot and nothing got through which resulted in a 3-0 loss for us. Tanks certainly have their place here.

In our fight, every attack aimed at Whip It Out that didn't do damage was either dodged or parried. Armor didn't come into play for him.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Goddamn, Whip It Out is pretty :black101:. I thought Cat Stevens would be the star of the team.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

pun pundit posted:

Yet again a heroic effort by a small whip-and-shield wielder is let down by their teammates. :smith:

Ahem, its a scourge and whip it out has no use for shields.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Who says the big guy has the advantage? :black101:

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Iunnrais posted:

Gorbash is upgraded and ready to go! With all the points being handed out though, I wonder if this is about the point where the little guys gain a noticeable advantage over big guys. I got to buy an extra piece of armor. A kobold could probably be fully kitted out in adamantine. I got a couple extra ranks in some skills. A kobold might be a master at all he does now.

I'll say, Whip it Out has 3000 new points to play with.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
drat, One-Eyed Willie is an absolutely brutal fighter. I was hoping Whip It Out would be his match but a few good early hits put a stop to any shenanigans.

For anyone interested here are his playoff stats.

He has the following equipment.
Adamantine Scourge
Steel Helm

He has the following skills.
Level 12 Fighting (Master)
Level 11 Lash (Great)
Level 14 Dodging (Grand Master)
Level 7 Armor (Adept)

Turns out that Steel Helm never came into use.

Here were his original stats

Steel Scourge
Steel Helm

Level 5 Fighting
Level 7 Lash
Level 14 Dodging

I tested Whip it out repeatedly against Cat Stevens during the tournament and he lost every time. Nobody was more surprised by his actual performance than me.

edited:^^^ While Whip It Out is deadly against unarmored foes, the adamantine scourge cannot even beat steel.

unwantedplatypus fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 29, 2014

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
A brilliant write up and appropriate for the final match.

Whip It Out May not have made it past the quarterfinals but at least I have my Monopoly money.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Child Protective Services is taking a break from saving lives near the mountainhomes to prove his prowess in combat.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
My e-mail is unwantedplatypus@gmail.com if you guys want to communicate.

As for a team name, I was thinking "Family Feud."

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Legs are simply dead weight to be ejected at the first opportunity in a match.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Bene Elim posted:

Oh holy hell, that was brutal. I'm so happy my team-mates talked me out of a scourge.

On picks beong overpowered, I didn't think Gnome was especially deadly in he early rounds. She might just have hit critical mass of skills. Either way, she deffinitely is an rear end in a top hat.

Scourges would be a borderline overpowered weapon if the fighters could be in some way controlled or directed in a fight. They are brutal against lightly armoured opponents. As it is now it's a coin toss whether or not you cause someone to black out in 2 hits or ineffectually bounce off their armour.

unwantedplatypus fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 9, 2014

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
drat, good fight. It seems like Leonard and Urist's armor couldn't compete with all the adamantine running around.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
CPS could easily 1v1 the enemy team. Gnome chance just knows how to hog the glory

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
GBS knows how to milk the crowd's applause.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Yep! As long as you can wield the weapons one-handed.

Can my character wield two shields?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
That was a good match. Can't say I didn't get a little nervous when I read GBS broke his spine.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
So I did some testing around with my fight against Floss Thrice Daily.

Let's just say its going to be either a really long fight or a really short fight. For reference, in one of the fights I lost my minotaur died of infection

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

pun pundit posted:

Moral: Same material weapon from a smaller fighter will not penetrate a helmet. Expect to see expensive helmets as the tournament moves on.

What are snakeman fangs made out of? :v:

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Spermy Smurf posted:

Holy poo poo I am about to run the next fight and loving cracked up when looking at the skills of the guys. This should be the worlds dumbest longest fight.

Well done, Tunicate and unwantedplatypus. You both called the skills of your opponent and negated them.

Edit: Holy poo poo I'm going to have to loving call this fight. It's been how long running at full speed? 20 minutes?

We're making history!

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Snakemen OP

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Oh, are we posting builds now?

GBS has a career record of 1 victory and 1 loss..

Oak Wood Shield
Copper Helm
Copper Mail Shirt
Copper Mail Shirt
Copper Greaves
Copper Gauntlets
Copper High Boots

Level 4 Fighting (Skilled)
Level 6 Wrestling (Talented)
Level 6 Striking (Talented)
Level 5 Biting (Proficient)
Level 2 Dodging (Adequate)
Level 7 Shield (Adept)
Level 6 Kicking (Talented)

My original plan was to forego armor in favor of more dodge/shield skill, but facing a snake man made me change my plans.

How viable do you guys think this build actually was? I was hoping that the points saved on not using a weapon would allow me to skill him up to usefulness.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

my dad posted:

Problem: Shield + empty hand doesn't mean he'll punch and block, it means he'll just keep shield bashing unless he gets an attack of opportunity.

Presumably, two empty hands means a fighter will actually punch?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Pickled Tink posted:

If we could keep wounds consistent across battles that would make for a hilarious tournament.

Semifinals matches everyone bleeds out the moment the fight starts

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Flamboyantly Homosapien is ready to fight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Testing is for those not confident in the sheer superiority of their fighter's unique brilliance and acrobatic technique.

• Locked thread