Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Yeah, only steel+ armor can counter steel weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Spermy Smurf posted:

Full adamantium armor against an unarmed fighter in the finals? Holy poo poo.

This is about as close as we'll get to an unstoppable force meeting an immovable object.

:munch:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I've planned a gimmick that would be completely useless 1v1, but might actually be decent in a 3v3. Only one way to find out. :allears:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Boot cost: Is it per boot or for a pair?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
75 for a helmet seems a bit too much.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Attacks of opportunity ignore shields, and a single punch by a tigerman will paste unarmored ant people's limbs.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

apostateCourier posted:

What about an unarmored human's limbs?

Give me a moment to check. :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Ignite Memories posted:

V SEE, THAT'S THE KIND OF poo poo I'M TALKING ABOUT. how do you people know these things? V

I made a grandmaster ant woman with 4 shields and let her fight against a tigerman with proficient swords and fighting and armed with a two handed sword.

The ant woman bled to death due limb explosions resulting from punches.

edit: She blocked every single sword blow.

apostateCourier posted:

Thanks. I'm trying build something that isn't a big guy and make it viable without resorting to being the team archer. Maybe a human with a two handed sword, and buy armor later if my team makes it past the round robin. I've never done this before, so I just spitball builds into the arena against approximated round 2 builds from the other tournaments. There's enough complexity to dwarf fortress that it's hard to figure out what works, what doesn't, what rounds were flukes, etc.

It's an exhausting system to explore.

An unarmed human vs unarmed tigerman resulted in a draw.The tigerman kept fainting from exhaustion, the human from excessive vomiting.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Hmmm... Looks like Toady added a crit effect to bolts hitting unconscious targets. I put a human in full adamantine armor and let 20 crossbowmen shoot hit with iron bolts. They did absolutely nothing until a couple of them hit him in the lips and he fainted from pain. Suddenly, the bolts started breaking bones through the breastplate and the first one to hit the head brained him.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
OK, Team 7 is me, Tarezax, and Frozen Flame.

Any ideas for the name?

fake edit: Hooray! I'm in the team with someone who gave their fighter platinum armor! :suicide:

e2: Please PM me to discuss what to do with our fighters.

my dad fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 8, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

goatface posted:

Some people are taking this test tournament very seriously.

Very seriously indeed. I don't want to bore the spectators. :colbert:

It can be changed, as frozen_flame said, and I figured this was the best way to warn people what not to do.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
In fact, we will name team 7 Platinum Helms

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tarezax posted:

Going naked in the first round and two-handing a steel halberd. As an elf my guy is likely to run in front due to his high speed. This will end well.

While they're focused on killing you, they won't notice us hitting them with The Platinum Collection from behind. :getin:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Also, Tarezax, you have a PM.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

goatface posted:

Someone better put together a team of buffmen who survive through a combination of skill and oiled muscles.

Well, there's one experiment result I'm willing to share with everyone. It looks like the rules of this tournament provide a massive nerf to big guys. Big guys rely on knocking down smaller opponents and stomping them into the curb while they're defenseless. With 3 people on each side, unless the big guys can kill the guy on the ground really fast, there will always be someone capable of striking back with something choppy/stabby/smashy.

However, wrestling can be surprisingly useful against guys who dodge well, if there's at least one other teammate attacking the same enemy. So, a buffman might work.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Galick posted:

Pft, testing. :smug:

Watching little pixelmans fight is fun. :shobon:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Platinum Helms* are ready to rumble.

*helms made of platinum not included

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Gorbash: Death is all around us. This cannot horrify me.

Well, you sure showed them. :stare:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
nothing to see here
move along

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Spermy Smurf posted:

Slade gauntlets... That's great.

I did a lot of testing with wrestling but didn't get jack poo poo for results, maybe the dude just needs to be bigger in order to be effective with it? I testing wrestling serpent men which was a failure. Was thinking about boa constrictor build.

I think I remember someone mentioning that a creature with legendary wrestling skill is roughly on par with a clueless creature twice its size regarding success odds for wrestling moves. And nothing but sheer size and strength can help you throw people better.

In short, as far as wrestling is concerned, go big or go extinct.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Rule of thumb: If you spend time planning your build, when you decide to go without armor, you run into Choppy McScissorhands, when you go for armor, you run into crossbow/adamantine dagger/platinum maul, when you go for dodging, you run into yeti wrestlers.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Frozen_flame posted:

Platinum Helm is a waste of points they said.

Armour is useless they said.

...god dammit. At least we won.

Note that the bolt went right through the iron cap. :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tunicate posted:

I'd be interested in seeing some three faction fights, or set them in a different section of the arena, or something like that.

The problem is that the winner would most likely be the last faction to engage.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Silverminnow posted:

Yeah those big guys can sure take a beating. Even so I'd like to congratulate The Ugly Ones for their victory and I hope to see you do well. I have high hopes for our team in the future too! This has been a neat tournament altogether so far. I find it a little surprising that so many teams are winning 3-0 though.

If you count guys who are out of the fight by means of knockout or crippling (but not executed yet) as casualties, it's a lot different than it looks.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

ZeeToo posted:

I'm going to want more testing to swear to it, but it might be better to play with racial points and costs than say that they're categorically useless. Gremlins and dark gnomes may end up being nearly non-viable, though again I'm not committing yet.

How many non-gimmick small guys have we seen? Is there a single solid dagger/dodge/(optional buckler) gremlin or pick/dodge dark gnome participating in the tournament? If not, we really don't have enough data to make this judgement.

I'm going to do some testing with the observer skill, since it helps evade charge-attacks. It might help even the odds, at the very least.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Jack the Lad posted:

But don't tell my heart, my achy breaky heart
I just don't think it'd understand
And if you tell my heart, my achy breaky heart
He might blow up and kill this man

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Astus posted:

Well, there was that one guy who stabbed his opponent in the heart with a spear and still lost. Also, shield material only matters for shield bashing, so the oak shield performs just as well as a steel shield in terms of blocking attacks.

And probably the biggest path to success in fights like these is "don't get ganged up on by fighters who are bigger than you".

My test with 12 fights between a team of 3 steel dagger gremlins with appropriate skills and a team 3 standard silver hammer minotaur builds resulted in 4 dead gremlins and a fuckton of prime steak. Also, there was a hilarious number of minotaurs charging the same gremlin and running into each other when it inevitably dodges out of the way. They never see the other guy coming.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Spermy Smurf posted:

Now give the minotaurs copper/silver armor.

Any kind of armor fucks little guys bigtime, but pointy weapons are a must for the little guys.

Full bronze armor = bunch of dead minotaurs, with a couple of extra dead gremlins. Stabs penetrate really drat good, and it's a big loving dagger.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Afriscipio posted:

I go away for four days and return to see Onan and pals brutally slaughtered. Where did we go wrong?

You messed with us. :smug:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Holy poo poo, Mayor. :stare:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Astus posted:

...Somehow I have the most money after going all-in twice on my own team. Turns out this is the best strategy, I guess.

Edit: With that in mind, I have put 4,060 dwarfbucks on the Ugly Ones yet again, so anyone who wants to tempt fate and potentially gain a lot of money should bet against us (so that I can make even more money).

:hf: Gained third place always going all in on Platinum Helms. :D

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

apostateCourier posted:

I don't think anyone would cheat. I think there's a possibility of people getting salty over it, because people get salty over stupid things. Better to avoid the entire situation.

Nonsense, Spermy Smurf now knows the terrible secrets of space that helped the Platinum Helms win and will push our team down some stairs. He must be stopped!

Yeah, you're right.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
While I greatly enjoy the great speed this tournament seems to be played with, I'd like to suggest to have a two day pause (at the very least) between rounds that involve spending points.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

That was amazing. :magical: And it cost Bad Munki almost every single arena bitcoin he had. Which makes it double amazing.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Now that was a clash of the titans!

In the end, this was less like a 3v3 and more like 3 separate 3v1 matches. There was only one result possible.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

King Cohort posted:

Actually, I disagree--I feel like the gang-up on Gary Barlow is the match's turning point. If it weren't for King taking him down, it would have been nearly impossible to get Gary prone, being a four-legged unfeeling molemarian and all.

That's why I'm glad I took your advice before the matches began and made King a wrestler, because it's proven to be scarily effective, with or without teammates to back him up.

I probably worded my post poorly. That's what I meant. The first 3v1 was a spectacular success, and once Gary Barlow went down, it was pretty much all over.

Glad to know my advice helped make an interesting fighter. :) Smashing a guy's head with his own helmet was probably the most brutal thing in the tournament so far. :stare:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Jack the Lad posted:

Does anyone have the edited object testing arena map with the 32 separate rings? It's better for testing than doing fights one by one :getin:

Also, is there any chance of adding something to the website whereby we can build fighters and download their macros separately from a tournament? It would be really handy.

Seconding. I was going to ask for this once the tournament's over.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
What a match. :stare:

I'm genuinely concerned about the next game. CPFS are a decently built team and may present a credible threat to the Platinum Helms.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

atomicthumbs posted:

Maybe Nibbles is useless :smith:

What was his build? Skill levels etc?

edit: Wait, don't answer, you still have a chance to make it to the playoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Ramc posted:

The strikes that hit seemed to be bruising this time instead of collapsing antwoman heads into the torso. Bad luck, or was the previous a lucky break I wonder?

Weapon strikes have a range of how hard they can hit, and every hit is partially at RNG's mercy. Since blunt weapons rely on sheer force of impact, this can cause problems. Also, ant people are kinda squishy. Chitin isn't a good replacement for skulls.

• Locked thread