Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Zo posted:

I hope someone steals your bike.

I like it when bad things happen to bad people.

Reading this thread must be like taking a vacation for you then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

tuyop posted:

The free stuff is a great idea, and we're pretty handy so we can fix broken drawers and stuff.

The big bedroom thing that we need is a dresser. The other stuff like side tables, and a bed frame (pure luxury) will wait until next year or after the posting.

I think a dresser or two small ones (they have to fit in the back of a Mazda) can be had for less than 50
bucks, so that's next pay.

The next big kitchen purchase is a microwave and a frying pan. We're just frying and baking things to heat them up now, it's fine but time consuming. And I'm cooking with cast iron, which is also time consuming.

We're not planning on a TV Anytime really soon.

It's time consuming but cheaper. I thought you had an abundance of free time?

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

tuyop posted:

Oh, sorry for the confusion.

What's the BFC opinion on part-time freelancing? I opened an account on guru.com and won a project to build a white paper for some guy's QR code software, but I think I only got it because I bid very low ($50). It seems pretty hard to break in on the larger sites with lots of offshore freelancers.

I'm not a regular in BFC but I'd say if the freelancing makes the difference between you literally starving yourself and eating decently again then go for it if you have the time and motivation.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

El_Elegante posted:

who knows, maybe they'll give him command of a gay werewolf battalion

I didn't think the CF was allowing tuyop to join the navy.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

I didn't even realize people buy special shoes just for biking until reading this thread, and I've been a dirty European cyclist for a while.

Thanks Tuyop!

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Grumpwagon posted:

I'm a pretty hardcore biker, and I think this is a terrible idea. The savings will be just as good if you drive this Winter then bike next Spring/Summer/Fall.

He's right. tuyop this is a terrible idea, don't risk wrecking your health further by biking in severe winter weather conditions.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Zeta Taskforce posted:

It does have a value, there is a price that someone will pay for it. You already took the biggest hit on depreciation. It isn't going to depreciate to zero anytime soon.

When you get your inheritance you might owe something like $18,500. Say that you can sell it for $13,500. I like the idea of you writing a $5000 check to get rid of $18,500 in debt. You will still have $8,000 left over from your inheritance which you can use to replenish your emergency fund, pay off any remaining credit cards, and use the rest to get yourself a cheaper car that you will own without payments. It will be cheaper to insure too.

tuyop I hope you're taking notes here. As much as it hurts, it will hurt a lot less than you driving and paying for that car until it, going by your luck, ends up mysteriously combusting or in a lake.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

quaint bucket posted:

Tuyop, what the hell man.

Have you thought about an exorcist or something?

Seriously. God drat, tuyop.

I don't understand how this keeps happening to you.

Just make sure to consult us before paying for the exorcism. We just want you to find the best deal.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

God drat you've got a big kitchen. My kitchen is about the size of your counter, gently caress. Looks like you've got a ton of storage space.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

tuyop posted:

Ok, well here's the outline that I've been working with:

Michael Parry is the classic gay fiction protagonist (he likes sports and has no chest hair and also has really big feet for some reason). He is a confirmed bachelor who has never really had a great relationship with women. But he's not one of those queers!

One day Mike is hunting in the woods. He has a few too many and falls asleep against a tree. Night falls, Mike wakes up to the sound of cracking branches close to him, and a faint, distinct, seminal and seductive musk. He gets graphically – and, (guiltily), pleasantly – butt raped by a werewolf. The wolf bites him and deposits its demon seed and then goes off to do other stuff. Mike falls into unconsciousness and later writes the whole thing off as a bad dream. His butt hurts from the cold ground. Right? Right.

Later, at his university football practice, Mike eventually – again, graphically – begins noticing the other men in the locker room. As the full moon approaches, he starts noticing changes in his appetites. Eventually he turns into a gay werewolf himself and rapes a particularly hunky, but in-denial homosexual football player.

poo poo writes itself but I can't stand the dialogue that I write. And I have episodes where I tend to delete things I've written in a rage. I deleted like 30 pages of orders this week because I loving hated them.

I like where this is going.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

CanadianSuperKing posted:

Maybe write about a strapping young military man who fell behind on his debts and got a bad back injury on the job. With bills piling up, he has no choice but to turn gay for pay, and happens to find he has a real knack for turning gay tricks.

You can call it Broke back mountin'

Yessss. I like where this is going even more, hahahaha.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

cstine posted:

You sure that's basil?

I don't think that's basil.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

tuyop posted:

Yeah, exactly! With BASIL

Id say stick with power-bottoming your way out of crippling debt. There's always going to be demand for it*, unlike the unknown variable that will be solved "in time" in your BASIL/FISH poo poo farm.

*It is referring your bottom by the way. In case that wasn't clear.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

FrozenVent posted:

People who think BASIL is code for weed.

Dumb dumbs who think BASIL is going to make them all of the money.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

tuyop posted:

Hey we got our late-filed tax return back. Toeshoes got around $900 and I got $61.25. I'm never filing on time again!

Also, this pays for our ridiculously lavish sushi outing last weekend AND will probably be turned into a countertop aquaponic garden, gently caress the haters.

Will you be able to transport it when you move out? poo poo, will you even have enough time to grow something by then?

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

canyoneer posted:

I hope you're discovering that these "financial shortcuts" (basil, $40k dollhouse, etc) are shortcuts to places you do not want to go.

Bankruptcy? Gay for pay?

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

quaint bucket posted:

That house is loving disgusting.

This is all that needs to be said on it.

How much are you planning on spending on the robe? A cool $200?

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Tuyop we're not talking about an absolute can't here. Conceivably someone would be able to pull this sort of endeavor off.

That person is not you.

Stick to getting out of debt, posing nude for pay, and writing werewolf erotica.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

It's a good thing that robe was a one time expense, now the next time you do a session you'll increase your balance by $21.47.

Until then you can just keep the robe in your clos- Oh.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Don't let the green weenie strike again.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

I don't understand how you keep managing to do this.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

tuyop posted:

Who knew!

AI, Google, the internet at large, etc.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Chronojam posted:

Tuyop you might want to severely reconsider eating discount knockoff Chinese brain powders that, even to you, appears to be an offer that is too good to be true. Not only is it an unnecessary expenditure as Sr. Quixote suggests, but there have been a bunch of recent horror stories about these sketchy Chinese supplements.

Like, they're being cut with literal garbage and spiked with a lot of sugar so that idiots will prefer the taste of this great deal they just found. Or worse, they've got all kinds of heavy metals. Somebody, somewhere in China, once got a really good deal on a whole mountain of lead and he's been passing the savings onto toy and supplement customers for years.

e: For real you are most likely, in all seriousness, poisoning yourself. This kind of doping may be artificially bolstering your natural capacity for poor choices, and that's unfair to everbody who expected a clean show. You buy from smartpowders, yes? http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/54695-questionable-3rd-party-coas-from-smartpowders-none-from-build-your-own-supplements/

Ingesting cheap random powders at impossible bargain bin prices from China can negatively impact your health? Who knew!

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

The Proc posted:

The so called cups vary by manufacturer and model but are usually 4-6 us oz so yeah somewhere in the range of three to five and a half liters.

Jesus gently caress, and I thought I was abusing caffein when I used to take caffein pills but you've blown a younger, stupider me out of the water.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Is it possible to build a dirt yurt? I'm thinking a yurt made out of dirt. All the money you save on building materials can be splurged spent carefully on stupid poo poo rewards Christmas gifts in the new year!

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

canyoneer posted:

The true tuyop way would have been to find plans online and spend $300 building his own pump.

And then realize he accidentally made a bicycle pump and not a breast pump. They both start with a B and are much easier to confuse than people think. Who knew!

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

All signs point to Toeshoes being the responsible one in this pairing. This is very different from everything we knew about zwife.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Walk Away posted:

Tuyop: Sell the bike you have now that doesn't "fit" and allow yourself to use only the direct proceeds to buy one that is the proper size.

This is a good idea, Tuyop. It will force you to shop around and be more frugal, and at least you already have all the accessories.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Hey, sometimes a man just wants to use a condom and have a really posh wank.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Wouldn't this interfere with her plans of doing anything other than being a housewife in the frozen north?

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

tuyop posted:

... my willingness to do it over what my peer group has done for the past few years means that I make more than almost all of them. If you just count people who took arts I make nearly double what most of them make, simply because I was willing to move out of Nova Scotia and sign a contract after university.

How much average debt does your peer group have? You look down on them for making less money but they might be, without question, better off financially than you are.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Me in Reverse posted:

Walmart Pizza is not going to turn into good fertilizer.

Walmart Pizza has given me some of the nastiest shits I've ever had. I didn't want to be breathing it in for the time it took to fall into the bowl, forget keeping it around for a year.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Engineer Lenk posted:

Wasn't there a planned roommate situation a while back that fell through, or was that another thread?

I think that was in another city, but no one has yet charted Tuyop's crazy rear end travels to a map+timeline so I can't be sure.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

I still don't understand how it is logistically possible to take fourteen vacations in one year, nevermind financially.

Was there ever an explanation for those?

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Something something no jokes large package.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

tuyop posted:

Whoa, hold your horses! I think we're going to get some smartphones next month.

Will you buy them with the screen pre-broken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Tuyup I am impressed. Your shitshow finances (before you got a hold of it) and justifications forced me to reexamine my own relationship with money.

Thanks for keeping us updated, your half-baked ideas kept me sane in a rough period. It's nice to read your OP after what you just wrote, just to see the contrast.

For the record, I totally thought you were talking about growing weed to pay off your debt.

• Locked thread