Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Kvatch doesn't burn down until you get a little ways through the plot in Oblivion. It's still intact at the start of the game and iirc you can even go there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Nick Buntline posted:

Or you could not simultaneously introduce 12 new characters, or at least not try to introduce them all as primary characters at the same time (Honestly, "that's the one whose dialogue is in yellow, right?" sounds like the punchline to some joke about a self-important author or a misunderstanding grandmother or something). I've no doubt I'm preaching to the choir somewhat given the silhouette studies you posted earlier, but characters should be differentiable based on appearance in visual mediums (body shape, gender, clothes, etc.) and personality in all of them (speaking style, behavior, interests, etc.). Things like dialogue color and word/letter substitution are the text equivalent of wacky quirks and "ethnic" accents: they're certainly better than not being able to tell anyone apart, but if you've expanded your active cast so far that they're the only way to do so then it's probably time to go back to the storyboard and rethink things a bit.

Also, aside from that, from a personal standpoint as a reader I can't possibly agree that randomly or consistently adding irrelevant characters to a person's dialogue could make it read "smoother". It's like writing through a hideously overthick accent - if the dialogue scans so poorly that I have stop and consciously translate every third word, then I'm just not going to bother reading it.

You're missing something important - Homestuck is mostly text, but doesn't have any description auxiliary to the main body of its dialogue. That is to say, we don't have descriptive language telling us how people speak, or the direct circumstances of their speech. It's not even comparable to most comics because we generally only get one picture to what might be a huge ream of conversation that covers various moods and themes. The typing quirks pretty much serve to fill that role. It doesn't work great always, but on the whole I think it's pretty much the most useful, credible way you could replace description of manner/mode of speech in a text medium made up entirely of chatlogs.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

IronSaber posted:

I'm starting to think there is some animosity between Quill-Weave and the bookstore owner.

The reply will just be a folded piece of paper with SCREW YOU written in the middle. My bet!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Geomancing posted:

I love the note on her hastily scribbled map of 'weirdo VAMPIRE'.

Also, ouch, 40 gold pieces for a book? No way she can afford that price. Time for the speechcraft minigame! Quickly insult him, tell him a joke, threaten his life and compliment him on his grooming in quick succession.

It's drakes not sovereigns!! I think those're silver pieces.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

7c Nickel posted:

It is. It's also known as a drake due to the Dragon Diamond symbol on the reverse side.

Oh, doy. I guess that is a super pricey/misvalued grammar book then.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Volmarias posted:

Without expensive lawyers to argue that he's really 'Hooded cultist man' with no ties to any Bethesda IP no, probably not.

The Minecraft guy is getting sued by Bethesda over his new game being called "Scrolls". I very much doubt Kaz could sell Prequel merch.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Who What Now posted:

I read that entire OP and still have no idea what the hell CHIM is.

Experience CHIM!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Zenzirouj posted:

This panel really highlights the whole 4-fingers thing and kinda freaks me out. What made you decide to go that way with it, Kaz?

Five fingers is traditionally considered one too many in cartooning. They just clutter the design unnecessarily. Try drawing a cartoon character with five fingers and you'll probably realise the problem.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Zenzirouj posted:

Yeah, it's what everybody does, but I kind of assumed that people drawing something in a cartoony-style (which is a pretty lovely descriptor, but good enough for my purposes) made the decision because they had some reason for it other than not wanting to draw extra fingers. Is it really just because everybody else does it that way? It seems like I've seen similarly styled stuff with 5 fingers. Kinda like the Limbaugh in the avatar above me.

Well, everyone does it that way (not everyone, but most cartoonists) simply because five fingers overcrowds the clean, iconic style of most cartoon characters. It's definitely a rule you can break, but seriously, try drawing a Mickey Mouse or Sonic the Hedgehog-type character (or a Prequel or Homestuck-type character) with five fingers and you'll probably realise why it's not usually broken. With how simply composed these characters are, drawing five-fingered hands often has the visual effect of, say, drawing a portrait instead of their face.

e: huh, looking for pictures, Sonic the Hedgehog actually does have five fingers. I guess that puts a hole in my tire! Still, that's why people do it. It's not a universal rule of course, just a useful guideline.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Snollygoster posted:

RPS is a good site, but I feel like they could have gone for more varied art samples than "Katia making a face with no context." Also it's interesting how a couple of the commenters have a big hate-on for MSPA.

A lot of peeps on the internet have recently developed a hate-on for MSPA on account of its surging popularity. It's pretty reactionary I think, there rarely seems to be a good reason for it.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

IronSaber posted:

I think Sigrid found out how to enter console commands.

"Let's see here... player.additem 0000000F 10,000..."

You mean she's experienced CHIM! This is huge.

Actually I think even the "min-maxing PC" explanation means she's CHIM-capable. Gro'upp probably is too. CHIM CHIM CHIM.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Ursine Asylum posted:

I realize this is tongue in cheek, but in all seriousness, artificial constraints on inventory space in a sandbox game as a gameplay-padding mechanic is one of my pet peeves. It's one thing in a game like Resident Evil 4, where you don't both have A. an infinite bankspace that you can dump things in, and B. can't necessarily backtrack to any previous point to pick things up again. But Oblivion/Skyrim, where the only gating factor to selling every wooden bowl and spoon to a vendor is "Number of trips you want to make", it really feels skeezy. And you can't talk about "Well it's REALISM that you're only able to haul a weight that's dependent on your STR stat!" Yes and it's also realism that you can dump 30,000 pounds of cheese rolls and daedric armor into the barrel outside a bandit hideout, and realism that you can fast travel from one side of the continent to the other in the click of a button. There's a difference between "inventory management as a challenge" (Neverwinter Nights comes to mind) and "if you really want that extra gold from selling those ebony greataxes I hope you have an extra 20 minutes to spend fast traveling between Whiterun and the innermost area of Labyrinthan-- and god help you if you accidentally hit the "Take All" button when you're at home!"
:goonsay:

for the love of god don't get me started on Borderlands

I'm totally with you, I hate this too and it makes those games a chore. It pretty much killed Fallout: New Vegas for me, and it's to the point where you can max your Strength and pick all the perks for carrying more stuff and still have to make one trip to the shops per 20 minutes of adventuring.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

burritolingus posted:

I think the worst fan translation I ever saw was a Korean translation of the dead bird Monty Python sketch, where "This parrot is no more! It has ceased to be!" was simply translated to "It's dead. It's dead."

This sounds hilarious. Monty Python becomes Samuel Beckett.

CLIENT: This parrot is not alive. It is dead. It's dead. It's dead. It's dead.

CLERK: The parrot is alive.

CLIENT: It's dead. It's dead.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I didn't know that canned chicken existed, and as a person who is broadly capable of cooking meals, I would recommend strongly that you avoid its use in future. Your subconscious in telling you to seize the sharp metal edge of the top was merely, heroically, attempting to create for you a negative sense-association with canned chicken.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

She's also very shy. I feel certain Rajjra is gonna screw her despite having proved herself a coward who would desert a dying cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Maybe they were just committed to the legitimacy of his art. I mean, technically it's pretty proficient. Do you want to censor him? Unjust.

• Locked thread