Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

nachos posted:

An SMT game with some Metal Gear Solid length cutscenes would be so refreshing. I love the settings and everything about the games but goddamn is it annoying to have to dungeon crawl 5 hours for 5 minutes of story progression. DDS is the loving worst with this.

This is pretty much the opening chunk of Strange Journey. Holy poo poo that tutorial is a slog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Morpheus posted:

Plus, there's a Title you get that says "Defend Tokyo on the 8th day in Yuzu's path" so I'm kind of curious what that is.

It's probably a final day "let's make this path slightly better than THE WORST OPTION HANDS DOWN" battle from the sound of it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
It could also be that some people (I am in this camp) get legit creeped out by the all-underage casts of P3/4 doing some closer-and-closer-to-sexual things in these games. (I haven't played Catherine so I can't say poo poo on that one.) Assing in new scenes each time they come back around isn't winning me over worth a drat in this regard, especially given some of the other extremes certain Japanese titles are going to (see again: Ar Tonelico, Agarest War, etc.) and worrying games I like are gonna fall into that trap.

I mean, Strange Journey sold well, right? That would be cool, to get some more sci-fi style SMT. Please?

edit: I walk away to help someone in Dredmor and someone said it better. Oh well.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 1, 2011

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

gtrmp posted:

Sorry, it's not a real [Persona/MegaTen] game unless it's just like the first [Persona/MegaTen] game I ever played, so releasing anything other than a game that's exactly the same as that one is a betrayal of both the real fans and the series they supposedly love. Also, if Atlus released a remake or enhanced port of that same game, that would be a shameless cash-in that also proves that I'm correct in assuming that Atlus doesn't care about making games for their real fanbase (that fanbase being me, personally). :smug:

And we have reached strawmen, good job everyone. Either I stay out of the bad threads or this recent self-cannibalism in this thread is some of the worst poo poo in Games, drat.

Hey here's a thing: I'm picking up a bunch of old DS stuff right now since I put the system down after a rush of RPGs months ago. Doing second playthrough on Strange Journey. Which would people recommend I go with, Law or Chaos this time around? I did Neutral out the gate.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

MarsDragon posted:

Everyone with money to throw around should have it preordered by now :colbert:

I do! Thanks to throwing around your money, buddy. (Thanks again.)

I'm half tempted to post that entry here but I still worry it only won for being like, the sole attempt and not actual humor.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Devil Children for the GBA ruled and I refuse to admit that me being a stupid teenager when it released has anything to do with my enjoyment of it. :colbert:

That's okay: I will totally admit you were(?) a stupid teenager for you, because that game is dire.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Being stuck with one game on a long boring vacation sets your standards pretty low. :v:

Okay, this one I'll give you, because I had Bomberman... Generations? one of the GBA ones one year on holiday, and holy poo poo I never touched that again when I got home.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Technique posted:

What is the deal with special editions and t-shirts?

They're cheap and can be made en masse.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

Has anyone here ever played those DemiKids games for GBA? If so, what did you think of them?

Atrocious grindy messes. Do not play. Also you literally only get half the story unless you play both, each kid does his own thing and so that means that giant chunks of poo poo happen offscreen and you just meet the other randomly and get "updated" on it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
P2: Innocent Sin is only $30 today (october 11th) on Amazon if you were looking at it but wanted a pricedrop.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Nate RFB posted:

I could have sworn that Strength didn't actually make you deal more damage in the Beldr fight at all.

Nope. Your attacks against Beldr are based on your physical stat. If you've been gimping it, you're in for a slog of a fight.

(I took him out in one round once with a NG+/grind/all-STR combo.)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
No bonus to getting multiple endings aside from any demons you unlock from a couple of paths.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Iceclaw posted:

Well, there is a bonus of some kind: being on a new game + grants you a small bonus of +1 move to your main character. I don't know if there more of those you get when you complete more endings, though.

Nope. NG+ bonuses are main character's move +1 first time (making it 4), and XP limiters are turned off. That's all, and so there's no reward for unlocking all the endings as a result.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Same here, I hadn't thought to throw those up but I can't think of anything I'll be buying this holiday season if someone wants 'em.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

MarsDragon posted:

Did he say "release" anywhere? Or are they just taking it on as a project? I'm not seeing any real information there.

There's a playable build (or some kind of demo, anyway) kicking around at PAX East right now, according to a buddy who was in the Classic Gaming Room earlier.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
TurnipFritter does have a point, incidentally: be careful looking to if... as some lost classic in the series, it was very much an experimental title that did a few cool things (a few of which basically became the early Persona template with some tweaks) and a lot of things that will make you go "why am I even playing this" because it's busywork.

In fact I'm just going to recommend a few of you go find the film it seems to be referencing and watch that instead, you'll have a better time. (Or at least watch that during the grindier cycles of the game, you'll definitely have time to finish the film.)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I just got there too and when I found out who I needed to use I set the game down for the day.

The youngest person in the cast is "sex appeal". Seriously? What in the gently caress. I think we may have hit the new low point for the SMT franchise in this single moment, ugh. Someone tell me that I'm not going to have to watch her shake her rear end or something like I'm told you have the 'dancer' doing for her mission.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

MarsDragon posted:

Just remember, all of this is only happening because Persona 3 went anime and sold a ton. You have no one to blame but yourselves.

For what it's worth I avoided P4 after the FES clusterfuck, so... you ain't pinning poo poo on me. (If I wanted to be hyperdefensive I'd point out it's a friend's copy of DS2 as well.)

Glad it's not nearly as bad in execution as it sounds, but still. Christ. Bring back main-series SMT already, jesus.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Corrosion posted:

It's that stupid thing some people say online to generalize something they're uncomfortable with seeing in Japanese media.

If you can name a better term for it I'll start using that because it feels even worse just going "oh that's just Japan" (and I'm pretty sure that'd be even more inaccurate).

Like you can go on about how the previous games were a bit quirky in places but P3 totally cranked up the potentially-skeezy factor, it's hard to deny, and Strange Journey's basically the only one to escape it completely since.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I'm just checking. Nowhere in my posts did I call things "anime", I just didn't know if there was a better blanket term I should be using in those cases where I have to point to something and go "okay this poo poo right here is bad. bad (whoever). don't do this".

Thanks for being cool about this and not bristling or anything. That's rare enough online. Totally serious.

edit: to both of y'all, there was only one post before the forums poo poo the bed as I tried writing this

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 16, 2012

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Man. I really wish this NG+ system from Devil Survivor 2 was in a better game, because after that ending I don't know if I can be arsed to play this again, even overpowered.

(Got Anguished One, was completely unsurprised when it turned out that "gently caress YOU KID YOUR FRIEND IS AN ANGEL" "Yeah I kind of watched Evangelion like the rest of the JRPG fans out there you think I didn't see Kaworu coming on day 3?" "gently caress YOU (leaps off to his death)")

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Yeah I did notice that they added very subtle tweaks to that as the game went on, I think it usually had to do with when they left/rejoined the party. Once I caught on to that I was a lot less irritated with "son of a bitch, I have to reset ALL OF YOUR SKILLS again?"

Devil Survivor 2 is a game where the only drat black mark I have against it is its story, and that's pretty friggin' rare these days. That NG+ system, drat.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Tallgeese posted:

What was so bad about it? Besides half the protagonists being insufferable, anyway.

Half the protagonists, half the bit I was joking about before where I just had to start riffing on the loving ending path I picked because it was Evangelion. It was entirely Evangelion! I made a joke on day three about "oh poo poo it's Kaworu" AND IT TOTALLY WAS JESUS CHRIST

Really it's more that if I had apparently picked a single thing in a different order my first playthrough I would have saved everyone, and thus have no reason to NG+ the drat thing. As-is I get to see Jungo on run two and I might do a third for bonus bosses (since I'm doing 'no Free Battles' right now)... and that's it. This second run has taken me ~48 hours to get to day 6.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I woulda gone Daichi as Shinji, but close enough.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Amppelix posted:

Yukari is level 37 and has a whopping two skills left to learn. Is this the game's way of saying "hey we gave you these spiffy new characters maybe use them", or am I missing something here?

If I recall the bit where people (hella minor spoiler) level up their personas gives them new skills to learn.

I also haven't played the drat thing since release though so I may be mistaken on this.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Yeah that's another thing that's killing my desire to do NG+ runs on DS2: I just hit Megrez again and I forgot how much busywork they made your rear end do on day 5 onwards to kill bosses. "Well no you're traveling with 3 incarnations of Lucifer and a mass of the heavenly host, but you're still going to have to do all this horseshit before you can just pound someone's head in."

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Pierce posted:

By the time you hit NG+ you can have all of Megrez's points covered in a couple of turns. NG+ was pretty bad rear end even if your uber demons are not as useful as movement exploitation teams.

It was more irritation at "I know I can beat this fucker's head in NOW, to hell with your Dragon Stream, lemme at him". Having to do every loving step involved in that, a series of gimmick missions, is irksome to no end to me.

Also this second time around I'm noticing:
a) Jungo's story is the best thing, none of you were lying
b) I didn't do a lot of late-game Daichi stuff, holy poo poo he really is Shinji
c) I wish a lot more of the story stuff resembled the side-story with the detective, this is basically my favorite chain of events in the drat game. Why is everything else not to this caliber.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
There's one scene I just saw on this path that is almost literally "I musn't run away" and then he kicks 9 flavors of rear end all in one event. He even pauses to beat himself up for it in the process and STILL pulls it off. Except since it's a character event they don't let the person you've put in danger get beaten up first.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I have determined that if I end up defeating the staff of DS2 and rewriting the game Joe can stay too. Although I think I've found my first "wait, what" glitch in the event scripting as he claimed he was saving an apple he found for his girlfriend an event after her funeral.

Whoops.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Alright, possibly-final question about DS2: apparently my second run was effectively perfect. No death, no free battle, befriended and saved everyone. Is it worth going through a final time for bonus bosses or are they just gonna be pushovers at this point?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Pureauthor posted:

Just FYI, if you can, leave at least one of the smaller Mizars alive at the end of the battle for a little something.

Okay so that WAS different on my second run, I didn't imagine it. Cool. If you can't be arsed/don't know what he means: If there are tiny-Mizars alive at the end they leap off the building to try and escape/multiply... then the Dragon Stream head lands on them, smashing 'em into goo.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
It's the demons. Everyone has a default move of 4 and only racial skills on demons change that.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Technique posted:

Christ, barely past the first day on my NG+ and i already hate the female Tico. She's rilly annoying.

Hahaha I knew I had made the wrong decision in my NG+ run when even the narration described her as "something entirely annoying is on your screen" or something to that effect.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Justice posted:

Glad we got that out of the way. Now we don't have to be bothered discussing the game anymore. :tizzy:

...honestly I'd be cool if P4chat stopped and we suddenly got more SMT4 info, yes.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Justice posted:

Buying the game is essentially voting with your money, and your vote is telling them what they're doing is alright. So you can either admit that for all your posturing you're still going to buy and enjoy the game, or stick to your convictions and not support a game that contains these kinds of unsavoury elements.

I wonder which will happen! :ironicat:

I haven't paid for or played P4 once as of yet, what kind of prize do I get in your smugass strawman fantasyland

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Lucinice posted:

Think it would be worth reading these spoilers to see all the changes in P4G or just wait and be surprised?

It's a bunch of crap that seems heavily in flux as wikis/translations change so you may as well and just forget about it until the release? God knows how much is even accurate.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

xomocekc posted:

If they want to sell the games here

Yeah I think it's very clear at this point we are not the primary market but just icing on the cake of whatever they bring in overseas. Persona possibly excepted.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Magikoopa189 posted:

(Persona 4 Arena Ending Spoilers)

With the possible return of Nyarlathotep, and the cliffhanger ending of Persona 4 Arena, Persona 5 might end up being the game that ties all the Persona's together. Holy crap. :allears:

This seriously sounds like the dumbest thing and the leadup to even worse ideas later. Crisis On Infinite Post-Apocalyptic Devil-Earths.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Yo man, The Answer was cool, don't hate.

Awful repetition, supergrind, stupidest story beats in the Persona series, and a fighting tournament. Nope. Nope nope nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Technique posted:

The Answer had really good music, which more than makes up for the dumb parts.

The Answer was the thing that singlehandedly put me off buying P4 because it burned me so bad (and I still stand by that decision) sooooo... I think I'm just gonna disagree and stop arguing because I'm basically unconvincable on this point.