Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Yeah, it feels like Overclocked has literally no reason to be a 3DS game. :shobon:

Not to say I'm not enjoying it, mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Can someone please spoiler Day 8 for Devil Survivor DS. I'm debating whether I should just buy a cheap copy of the original or wait. I beat DS before but sold my copy to a goon for money I needed and am getting the urge to play it again. I don't have a 3ds yet but I was expecting more extra stuff from this game to warrant purchasing it but subpar voice acting (that can be disabled thankfully) and what looks like a tacked on extra day just aren't doing it for me.

How many extra demons are there?

Like twenty.

Take it from someone who now owns a copy of the original and Overclocked, if you've played and beaten the original, you'll get just as much from replaying the DS version as you will from this.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned much that I just saw, the "3D fusion screen" that was added? I'm pretty sure it's the same one from the DS version, but with the two spinning cards given the 3D effect. I feel like they could've at least given us a 3D model of the summoned demon or something.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I guess my sheer laziness and never getting around to play more than ten hours of Persona 4 finally comes in handy, since I get to play the definitive version and enjoy it as if it's a whole new game.

Edit: :smugdog:

Edit edit: It's the least I can have after Overclocked. :suicide:

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Axle_Stukov posted:

I think this is what they're doing, the one screenshot showing the fusion menu showed the persona being fused with 2 blank skills instead of 2 named skills, so I can only hope this means they learned we all loved Devil Survivor's fusion method.

I didn't even realize how much this would improve the game until you mentioned it. What's the point of semi-randomly assigning skills anyway, other than "That's how we did it in Nocturne/P3". All it meant was wasting ten minutes hitting X and Circle until they came up anyway.

Edit: "gently caress YOU PULINPA GO AWAY"

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 31, 2011

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Thanks. Also regarding the tired status: I'm playing FES (not the psp version) so can I just keep going in and out of a bathroom until I'm cured or is it completely random? I've been going in and out of the same bathroom 10 times so far but I'm still tired.

IIRC, the chance to remove Tired status in the bathroom is determined the FIRST time you enter the bathroom in a day, but then it's set until you move the clock forward. Meaning if it didn't remove Tired status the first time, it won't do it subsequently.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

SereneCrimson posted:

I haven't quite decided yet.
I kind of want to play as a boy just to experience some of the events how anyone that played P3/P3F did. So if I was to talk to anyone who hadn't played P3P, I'd know what moments they were talking about.

If the girl route isn't too different, however, I'll definitely pick that. I do like it when games give the option to be female.

People might disagree but if this is your first time playing Persona 3 I would play as the male for pretty much the reasons you stated, and save the FeMC route for a second eventual run, sicne I felt it game me some insight into some characters that I wouldn't have appreciated as much the first time through.

Of course if you plan on flipping the game after you beat it, the point is moot and you should just play whoever.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I turned it on, paged through the config and extras options, but couldn't muster up the will to start playing. Looking at the two openings included in the game (PSX vs. PSP) I...think I prefer the Playstation one. This certainly bodes well.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Cityinthesea posted:

They should just ask Swery what's up with America, so he can show them all the pictures of food that he took.

Would play the poo poo out of a Swery-influenced Deadly Personition.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

vkeios posted:

Man, now I'm feeling weird for thinking Nocturne is a much better game. From what I remember, DDS is a frustrating piece of poo poo that feels like I'm constantly getting screwed over by the RNG.

For anyone new to the mainline megatons, I'd suggest Strange Journey or Nocturne. Both are fantastic, but I'd probably lean towards SJ. Just because it has grids and its on the DS (I adore rpgs on my portables).

If it's better, doesn't it make more sense to let them build up to it? :v:

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Dammmit, I stopped playing Persona 4 when I heard the vita game was coming out. I guess I should've stopped reading this thread too.

Edit: It's cool now. Good thing I'm terrible at remembering Japanese games. :v:

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 23, 2012

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

HarkToTheLoons posted:

I'm playing Nocturne for a class (best class ever) and I'm wondering. I'm about 3 hours in and have yet to notice this game being particularly difficult. It requires a bit more strategy than 'mash the attack command' but has yet to actually make me throw my controller in rage. Am I just not far enough, or is this game easier than people say?

This might go without saying, but are you actually playing on "hard"? People don't get worked up to controller-flinging levels of rage off Nocturne's normal mode.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Suaimhneas posted:

Yeah, the second time I played P4 I thought I could take the Contrarian King right after the first boss with my superior knowledge of the game's mechanics. I fused up a persona with physical resistance, cast Tarunda and Sukunda on the King, his Rampage still one-shot everyone including the MC. :stare:

I kinda hate bosses like the Contrarian Kind, and his ilk, where your only two options for winning are to either outlevel him entirely to render his attacks a joke, or just cross your fingers and hope the RNG doesn't pull the "gently caress you, insta-wipe" move, in which case you'll win without too much trouble.

The Answer was particularly bad about this at a couple of points. Worse since they eliminated the social-link exp bonus.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

precision posted:

I picked up Persona 3:FES from the PSN the other day and everything seems to be working just great, except that once when I tried to save I got a "no memory card" message and had to try again - not a big deal, right? But then later, when trying to save, it showed that I had no saved data at all. What's up with that? Am I going to randomly lose god knows how many hours and have to restart, is this something that happens with other PS2 Classics, etc. etc.?

It looks like other people are randomly having this happen to them as well, but all the "fixes" are just as random and arbitrary; one person suggests that keeping two saves has prevented it (why wouldn't you do that anyway), another that you have to re-download the game... help me goons.

It's a known bug that people playing it from disc on a backwards-compatible PS3 also experienced. As long as you pay attention when you save (and save again until you get a "Save successful" message), it's harmless. Like you noticed though, if you just assume your save went normally and turn the game off...you will lose that save.

Yeah, I didn't lose all my progress like an hour away from finishing the game, why do you ask? :smithicide:

Edit: To my knowledge, this only affected P3:FES.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Meiteron posted:

That's all I can remember right now but there are tons and tons of these little things in the game. Phase can be important, but nothing critical or game breaking.

I'd consider some of the moon-phase skills pretty game-breaking, since stacking them on your team and waiting for the right phase trivializes a few of the story boss fights, no?

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Not sure if it's been posted, but I noticed that Persona 4: The Golden is now available for preorder on Amazon. I know Atlus sent out that e-mail a while back, but the only option then was that canadian retailer.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

I'd hope they wouldn't have stats at all so you can just wear whichever you think is the best rather than feeling like you're gimping yourself if you like one which has a poo poo bonus. Preferably something you can select at a wardrobe in your room or something.

This is a really cool idea.

It also has like no chance of actually happening. :(

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

The GIG posted:

Though I will say that P3P is far and away the better version of P3. Spruced up a lot of stuff and feels less like a chore to go through. I put it just under P4.

Maybe I'm alone in this (Or I'm turning into the new Technique :suicide:) but I tried playing P3P after clearing FES once and was completely turned off by the limitations of the PSP engine. Something about not being able to move my own character and other minor changes made me feel like I was playing a visual novel, which I guess is just not my type of genre. I couldn't get more than two hours into the (interesting, from what I could tell) feMC story.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Sucks for you guys that already spoiled yourselves on the inferior Playstation 2 version. :smug:

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

PonchAxis posted:

Wow that P4G trailer really makes want to get a Vita just for it, even though common sense is telling me to wait for a friend of mine to get it. I just can't justify buying a Vita for 1 game.

I'm getting a Vita essentially for P4G and the new Assassin's Creed (which is a different game than the console release one), but there's a few other gems that sweeten the deal too.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Dehry posted:

It turns out the P4G wallpapers have been online for ages. They're just Jpegs. http://p-atlus.jp/p4g/v/ir5xpJYzDd08/

Thanks for the link! drat these look slick on the Vita's screen.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Also, don't be like my girlfriend, who suffers from what I call "Pokemon Syndrome"; that is, the compulsion to level up every demon you create. Most personas are not viable long-term until the end-game, so as you level up you should constantly be fusing up to personas your level. Also RC gave some really good advice. Make sure to have a team that covers all the basic elements, or at the bare minimum the ones your party members don't have.

Are you making full use of the knockdown/all-out-attack feature? Those will be your bread and butter for most common fights.

Also, as the above guy mentioned, the combat systems between P3p and P4g are pretty similar, so if it's giving you trouble now I don't think that's a good reason to jump games.

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 23, 2012

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Yeah, I'm gonna be another one going against the goon consensus and say that despite P3P having a better battle system and FemC story, the actual visual novel style bored me to tears, to the point where I couldn't finish a run. Even though it sounds minor, you can't underestimate how much having a little mans you control run around the game world draws you into it.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Man, I just want to reiterate that despite my (debatable) opinions on P3P, Persona 4 Golden is amazing. So glad I stopped playing the Ps2 version so I could experience this "fresh".

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

I kinda disagree, to be honest. I loved Persona 3 and 4 but I'd rather there be a different system when 5 comes out. As good as some stuff could be with the S.Link system, I'd really prefer something else. If they really have to keep it for whatever reason, then I'd rather have it closer to something like the Devil Survivor 2 FATE system.

Speaking of inheriting things from Devil Survivor, when I was making my first fusion in P4G and I was allowed to pick what skills to inherit instead of hitting O -> X 30 times, my eyes got a little misty. Thank you, Devil Survivor.

King of Solomon posted:

...By completely eliminating all of the game's interesting systems and leaving you stuck in a dungeon crawl on Hard difficulty where they inexplicably got rid of the compendium.

I realize this might make me "bad opinions guy", but I actually liked that about The Answer, in a "Now that you've gone through the main game on Hard, we're gonna pit you in a 100-floor dungeon with tough-as-poo poo bosses, take out your main conveniences (Compendium, S. Links), and set you loose. Good Luck"

The expansion of the story was a bonus. Granted, some of those bosses were absolute bullshit tests of luck, and Metis was overall very meh, but the end product I felt was enjoyable for those people who NEEDED that extra bit of Persona 3.

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 28, 2012

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Schubalts posted:

So I just passed a point in Ken's social link in P3P. How the hell did anybody accidentally flag him? There's literally a dialogue option saying you like him romantically that flags his link. :psyduck:

I know people love to bitch about the Moon social link in FES, but as awful as it was it's still no romantic-social-link-with-Ken. :v:

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

Yeah, I'm at the point now where I just escape every time I miss and get the "enemy advantage" thing (assuming I survive the initial attack), as well as making sure to switch to a neutral persona (not weak to anything) between battles if I get caught off guard. It's just hard to balance "OH GOD RUNAWAY" with "well I am theoretically supposed to be leveling here..."

I might just start doing the cheap thing of aggroing the shadow and then running back to the "border" of the room where it won't pass. Can't get player advantage that way, but easier than trying to actually hit shadows, between the like second-long animation and my inability to perceive depth in this game :v:

You should ABSOLUTELY be doing these things, with the caveat to the second one that if you KEEP running away from a shadow's view, he'll lose interest and turn around. There's your chance to nail him for the player advantage.

Additionally, if you are in a player advantage "pre-turn", you have a guaranteed chance of escaping. When you first get to a new floor with new enemies, you should exploit this by testing the enemy weakness with elemental attacks, and running away if you don't find one. All-out-attacks should be your bread and butter for a large chunk of the game until you're strong enough to one-shot enemies.

Also, in Persona 3 enemies have to expend turns to get up if they're knocked down when it gets to their turn. Use this to prevent stronger enemies from attacking you, particuarly if there's a group of them and you know you won't kill themm by the end of the turn.

Really, using the above well can trivialize a lot of the battles and is the reason I consider Persona 4 the harder of the two.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Also you might want to reconsider not starting the slinks you don't like. The experience bonus you get on Persona creation from even a level 2 or 3 link is usually good for one or two levels, which can make learning new Persona skills WAY easier, not to mention make them stronger against enemies.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Yeah, this is no contest, Metis is easily the nadir of PCs.

How can Metis be the worst character when she's hardly a character at all? :v:

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Personally I like to compare the Demon Negotiation mechanic to another enduring SMT mechanic, Skill Inheritance. When Devil Survivor/Persona 4 Golden switched over to letting you actually choose which skills you could transfer over during demon fusions, only a slim minority of people cried out against it, because all they did was take a pre-existing gameplay element and cut out a layer of tedious bullshit. I see no reason why they can't do the same thing with negotiations.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Although can someone tell me real quickly, is region-locking even a thing on the 3DS? I have a US version of Strange Journey that played just fine on my locally-bought DS Lite, I'd find it surprising and hard to believe if they actually went backwards on that one.

Believe it. :(

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Dorroile posted:

So from what I've been hearing, the epilogues in DS:O are either not necessary or actively detrimental to the plot, and P4G has a character more terrible than the other P4 characters, right? And then considering stuff like The Answer...

What I'm saying is that i'm actually kind of nervous about this because i know they're going to mess things up. When it comes to Atlus, new content is usually not a good thing.

Let's not kid ourselves, the remakes are without exception the definitive versions of their respective game series. When was the last time anyone suggested that a newcomer play vanilla Persona 3, or would recommend Persona 4 over Persona 4 Golden, all else being equal? As someone who never got around to playing DS2, I'm looking forward to seeing what they feel is worth changing about the original.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

Videogames Plus (linked from the SMT4 site) lists the price as 49.99

Oh boy, this is an unwelcome trend.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Meiteron posted:

Well, there I am, happily mowing my way through the Haunted Mansion. Got a good set of demons, rolling all the encounters without issue. Man, this place is large and confusing. It has to be at least an hour since I went back and saved! I should head back there soon.

Oh hey, a Yoma demon I haven't recruited yet I guess I'll just start dialogue and- right, ok, now he's trying to kill me well two can play that gam-

*Yoma demon uses Violet Flash*
*MC dies*
*Title Screen*

:shepicide:

Mmm, haven't seen that since Strange Journey, or maybe even Nocturne. Good times.

Haha, yeah, I don't really consider it a Shin Megami Tensei game until this happens at least once.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

oblomov posted:

Same here, think it was last week.

On P3 vs P4, both great games, both should be played. I played P4G first and that did not ruin my enjoyment of P3P. Also, female MC is really good in P3, I like her social links better (Keiji!!!).

P4(G) -> P3P is fine, the problem is when you try to do P4(G) -> P3:FES.

Although I'm of the opinion that the ideal progression is Persona 3:FES (male) -> Persona 4(G) -> Persona 3 Portable (female). :colbert:

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 7, 2013

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Strange Quark posted:

Apparently this is the best unisex armor in Soul Hackers:

Oh hey, I didn't know Soul Hackers was the original inspiration for Neku's stat-driven transvestism in TWEWY. :v:

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Wark Say posted:

poo poo, really? That actually seemed to work well for me in the long run, though. From day 4 onwards I was completely destroying entire groups of enemies on my own, not even using the extra turns.

For Gin or Kaido/Frosty, obviously. :colbert:

If I remember correctly some of the changes to DS1:Overclocked made physical MC builds a lot more viable than in vanilla DS. Are you playing that?

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I remember that there was a workaround to Tired party members leaving Tartarus if you're the kind of person who likes to get all his grinding down in one or two nights (like me) and study/arcade game the rest. You let your Tired guys auto-explore the current floor (via Square menu? I think), and let them get in a fight with a shadow without you, then take the stairs to go up a floor. Anyone engaged in a battle won't follow you up when you change floors, but will instead auto-exit and be waiting for you at the base.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

As doubtful as I am of it happening, if they do insist on going portable for the next gen I really wish they would release P5 for the Vita, since the screen is SO much nicer than the 3DS, and it doesn't really seem like the kind of game that would gain any appreciable benefit from being in 3D.

But install bases don't lie.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Eugh, as much as I'm loving playing SMTIV, it reminds me so much why I dislike Demon Negotiation as a gameplay mechanic. Even though the demons feel a little more consistent in this game than in previous installments, it still feels like a total crapshoot whether a demon joins me or not, and with no VIT stat, when they don't the punishment is HARSH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Thanks for the advice, guys. I played through a little more, and all of you are right, once you get into the swing of things it does seem to flow a lot more to your benefit (Also getting into the mentality of "Go gently caress yourself, demon" really does work a lot more consistently than I expected, but shame on me for not remembering that from Nocturne). Negotiation in this game is handled way, way better than some of the other SMT games.