Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MechaX posted:

I’m trying to find more reasons to pick it up at launch rather than waiting on a steam sale, not less

I mean the honest answer is that if you don't want to play the game then don't buy it. If you really just care about the new story content then wait for an LP or something. But going through at max level and oneshotting everything seems like a really poor way to experience a game you paid $60 for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MechaX posted:

I already spent $60 on the game (or I guess half of it now) once already? Yeah no, if they’re going to say “the changes only come part way through the game,” then yeah, I think I’d have some fun treating it as a poor man’s new game plus until new poo poo happens (and at that point if the challenge is right and it was as fun as vanilla SMT V was, I can just… stop using Shiva until optional super boss stuff comes around).

Unless they change things, you're probably not going to be able to actually summon Shiva without a metric loving shitload of grinding to get the money to do so. Or by buying the cheat DLC for money and grinding that. It's just a dumb way to experience things

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Rockabilly Lilith is still coolest but the new design is pretty good

Yeah, the other Liliths are fine and all but that design is top tier

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A MAG build is not super ideal for TDE but it also isn't strictly necessary. A magic-focused Demifiend can still be incredibly useful in terms of support/buff/debuff/etc, it just isn't going to hit as hard with physical attacks, but you can compensate for that with your demons. Phys Demi is absurdly strong but it isn't like MAG demi sucks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Naheehobino owns

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neeksy posted:

I think the best way to describe my feelings about the new SMTV is annoyance.
The base game's writing was such a letdown, and quite a bit of the game's events and plotting really felt undercooked, and so now we have to buy and play a new version of it to actually get the experience we should have the first time if they weren't so rushed to get the game out.

This applies to almost every single SMT game Atlus has released since Shin Megami Tensei III. (Which itself was a lot more plain on the ground before they added all the Maniax stuff.) It's understandable to be annoyed at them Pokemon Red/Yellowing basically every game they make but at this point it's so commonplace it can't surprise anyone. Even the games that didn't get a re-release often got a sequel that was mostly recycled material and mechanical updates. (DDS, Persona 2, ect.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neeksy posted:

I don't disagree here, but I also feel that DDS and Persona 2 are not the best examples of this phenomenon, especially DDS2.

I mean both of them are more like Apocalypse, a clear intent to reuse a bunch of stuff. It ain't a bad thing!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Namnesor posted:

I think the point of contention is that DDS2 and Eternal Punishment are still sequels, not enhanced re-releases with (admittedly a lot of) added content.

They are sequels that were designed around the idea of a game being split into two parts, more akin to Remake/Rebirth than a genuine sequel. They planned it from the start to effectively be two games made out of one. (Especially DDS which is flat-out just two games split into one.)

It boils down to "you're probably going to end up with any given Atlus game having some sort of relatively quick update or sequel unless it super bombs."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 29, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am going to bet the new 'beno is "Vengence Form/Mode/etc" and will be born after someone dies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

If I heard correctly the new golden dungeon where they showcased New Nahobino was mentioned to be related to the Shekinah Glory which is what keeps the fake Tokyo around so maybe?

Going by the trailer it seems the changes involve possibly Yuzuru's sister getting murked by the Qaditsu, thus his reaction in the original trailer and Nahobino getting killed by them too? That combination attack they showed of them looked a lot like one of those boss battles you lose and then it shows Nahobino getting attacked and then cut away to new Nahobino design. Someone said in comments it might be protag fused with Tsukuyomi cause the silver palette, the undervisor and moon blades so maybe Aogami dies and protag fuses with his brother cause they're compatible? Or another Proto-fiend.

It's possible, though it does look like we have classic 'bino encountering what is likely later-game new stuff too, though that may be in standard mode.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

I never got around to V, this has the original route in it still, right?

Yes. Apparently you just pick at the start which route you want to go down.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

That's incredibly lame

... why? From what we're told the plot changes significantly relatively early on, it isn't like a route split at a specific point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

I'd have preferred for the game to integrate its changes into the main game like Royal or Maniax with additional side content to flesh out whatever backstory or additions they added. This is likely to lead to the main story of V to feel more like a dead end and for the "real" game to be the Vengeance content. Early route splits also tend to make me wary because you're making decisions about the endgame while not having any accurate grounding in what the choices you're making actually are...unless you've already played the main game.

I mean that is the stated intended purpose. You play through the original version and then Vengeance route which is supposedly building off what you know.

The closest comparison isn't Royal or Maniax, it's SMT4:Apocalypse. Like to an almost comical degree because it follows the exact same "It's the same plot only a twist means new gods come around and throw everything off" concept.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

https://x.com/mbkksstbhz5/status/1789863305198117273?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

This is funny, they’re straight up removing SMTV from the eShop once Vengeance comes out. They’ve never done that before have they? Like Persona 5 was still readily available after Royal released (and was even a part of those free games early PS5 buyers got access to) but for this they’re like “oh no we don’t want anyone accidentally playing the old bad one”

To be honest it probably makes more sense to do it this way. I know there have been people who bought Persona 5 instead of Persona 5 Royal on PS4 and been pissed off by the (understandably unclear) fact of there being two identical games except one is better.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Under no circumstances do you want to buy SMTV on the Switch anyways. The performance is unplayable, I would be surprised if the new version is any better.

It really is not unplayable in any sense of the word. It looks bad because they use the "far away models are rendered at poorer quality" thing for poo poo that's in your face but otherwise it's a turn-based combat game. I'd get it on something stronger for sure if you can but it isn't unplayable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

You have a much higher tolerance for the 20fps average that the game plays at when running around the world in between combat.

There's a significant difference between "bad frame rate" and "literally unplayable." Especially when discussing something like SMT.

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

It’s okay if you didn’t personally have a problem with it but it is silly to think your opinion is universal.

There is a difference between "didn't have a problem with it" and "This game just can't be played! It's impossible to play a turn-based game with bad frame rate!"

Edit: Like, looking it up, pre-patch, the average frame rate for SMTV is 27-29 in the overworld . It drops lower in cutscenes (to mid-teens at times) and when opening menus. It also sucks during the opening segment with a lot of people crowded around in the tunnel but the game apparently never even tries to do something like that again. It's not anywhere as good as I would hope or expect of a game released when it was, even on a system like the Switch which can do better, but it isn't running at 20FPS average outside of menus. (Which, again, should run better.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Randallteal posted:

I don't know where the idea that games didn't run well back in the day comes from. I'm pretty sure none of the PS2 SMT games ran like poo poo.

The PS2 games had slowdown anytime there were any remotely flashy effects onscreen which is part of why they minimized doing that. They also had very low draw distances and a bunch of other stuff specifically designed to compensate for the PS2's shortcomings. The Raidou games were pretty bad in general and almost all of the games had significant frame drops during combat, it just didn't matter because it is turn-based combat.