Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Akarshi posted:

Woot, I finally, finally got my hands on Digital Devil Saga! Been looking for it for forever.

In most SMT games I usually go for a Vitality - Magic build with some emphasis on strength, but I get the feeling that this might not be a very good idea in DDS due to the devour system and the fact that, so far, it seems I have permanent party members with predetermined specialties. (like...that girl seems like the magic caster, Heat seems like a physical kind of guy) Does it matter what build I give Serph? Kind of weird playing an SMT game with no demon fusions, but so far I'm liking DDS. The story seems like it's shaping up to be really interesting.

In DDS1, having Serph focus on Str with a Magic secondary (or vice versa) is probably for the best, given how awesomely useful Hunt skills are and how the Magic stat is used for both offense and defense. In DDS2, you'll want him to focus mainly on physical traits and skills, partly for the same reasons as in the first game, and partly for reasons that become apparent after spoilery late-game stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Technique posted:

Yes, if there is one thing more games need, it's 90-minute cutscenes. :shepface:

Either people are complaining about Strange Journey being nothing but dungeons, or they're complaining about Persona 3/4 taking an hour or two before you get into the first proper dungeon. Hmm, it's almost as if the SMT franchise contains multiple, wildly divergent subgenres of the JRPG...

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

tooooooo bad posted:

Working on Catherine was working on P5. It was a way to establish their technology and figure things out with a less serious project before starting on the real deal. It also gave them a break from the series which was almost certainly for the best.

Exactly. It's the same as when Atlus made Maken Shao: Demon Sword in order to test their new 3D graphics engine, then used that engine to make Nocturne and company.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Len posted:

I'm kind of curious to see how the megaten series started.

Don't be.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

tooooooo bad posted:

hey guys remember two pages ago when we were all excited about cool new video games

e: except for Technique

Liar, nobody in this thread would be capable of getting excited over any new game except for a hypothetical SMT4.

...and then only if it came out on on the Super Famicom.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Justice posted:

You're not a fan if you don't try to tear down your own fandom.

Sorry, it's not a real [Persona/MegaTen] game unless it's just like the first [Persona/MegaTen] game I ever played, so releasing anything other than a game that's exactly the same as that one is a betrayal of both the real fans and the series they supposedly love. Also, if Atlus released a remake or enhanced port of that same game, that would be a shameless cash-in that also proves that I'm correct in assuming that Atlus doesn't care about making games for their real fanbase (that fanbase being me, personally). :smug:

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Because I want them to make a current-gen Persona game instead of a fighting game and another version of a game I've already played on a system I won't buy!

Atlus isn't making the fighting game themselves; I'd be surprised if Atlus has anyone working on their end of that game who isn't also working on some other project. The P4 port is, if anything, an opportunity for them to capitalize on the P4 anime that starts airing in Japan next month. If anything, not releasing some version of P4 on a current-gen system the month the anime series ends would be a tremendously dumb decision. Let's consider ourselves lucky that P4G is coming out on the Vita and not on a Japanese mobile phone service!

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Nessa posted:

Ohhh, ooooh! Have it be someplace remote like Antartica! You're there as part of a research mission and have so many months before you leave. The other scientists won't believe you and won't understand what's going on, so it's up to you and your bunk mates/buddies to solve the mystery under the Antarctic ice! Yeah!

Someone's throwing penguins into the TV!

So it's like The Thing, only this is your Persona.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

P4 gives you a lot more leeway to finish your S.Links than P3 did. You don't need to do one-day clears of each dungeon to max out most or all of your S.Links. The only S.Links you might accidentally not be able to complete are the Dojimas, because they aren't available after a certain point (October? I forget).

Also, doing the whole first dungeon on one day is a pain in the rear end unless you grind like hell and/or get lucky drawing those after-battle tarot cards that restore your SP. Personally, I preferred to get up to the mid-boss of each dungeon, leave, upgrade whatever items I could, and clear the rest of the dungeon on the next rainy day - if only to break up the grind of trying to clear the entire dungeon in one day.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Axle_Stukov posted:

Really? In all my playthroughs I've never seen Arcana Chance start appearing until after I've beaten the boss of the first dungeon.

Maybe it only starts happening after the midboss, or after you reach a certain floor of the castle.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

El Belmondo posted:

Christ, Akihiko looks straight out of Street Fighter or King of Fighters. Especially with that bizarre scar. I'm not sure if it's :allears: or :gay:

Can't it be both?

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Light Gun Man posted:

I'd like compilations of the "before nocturne / persona" games with first-ever translations, but yeah that ain't happening anytime soon.

I'm sure the PSP port of Devil Summoner 1 would have been localized if the port hadn't been programmed in a way that apparently made doing so literally impossible.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Technique posted:

The Soul Hackers translation is more or less the only SMT thing worth looking forward to at the moment

That entirely depends on whether or not Kanji's S.Link is fully voiced in P4 Vita.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Alteisen posted:

Also only one game was set in the west, that being Shadow Hearts From the new world(the 3rd one), the first 2 where set in the UK, Russia and around Japan and had characters from those countries as well as references to them, Shadow Hearts 2 in particular is very Russia centric down to one of your antagonists and one of your party members.

Ah, "The West" refers to pretty much everything west of, say, Poland. Not just the US, but also the UK, France, and Italy, which make up probably half of the European locales in the Shadow Hearts series.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Strange Matter posted:

I'm current running a Persona RPG over instant messanger with some friends that's set in an American charter school and the main characters all have Personae based on native american mythology, so there's ground to be covered there in a proper game. I appreciate that Atlus has the professional integrity to not set a game here unless they knew they could do the setting justice, but part of me wants to see what it would be like if they just did it anyway and instead of having the game being an honest take on American culture it was a skewed vision of America through Japanese eyes where everyone carries a gun and black people are literal superheroes.

Hopefully their take on American culture would be a little more aware than the use of Native American culture in Soul Hackers, in which the game's demonic compendium is largely derived from Native American myths yet the only Native American character is literally named "Redman".

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Pomale posted:

Also, I remember reading in the "things to know before playing" thread that there are a couple characters you aren't really supposed to use or something? Anyone know what that's about? I don't want to build a strong team only to get screwed over later due to my character choices. That was never a problem in the Persona games and I don't really have an issue rotating characters, I just don't want to waste my time.

Heat is forced to leave the party twice for plot reasons, and Argilla leaves the party with him the second time. Each of these departures only lasts for the duration of one dungeon, though. As long as you keep the other party members' skills diversified enough that you aren't completely screwed without one or both of those two, you'll be fine. Heat has high Strength and crappy Magic, and Argilla is pretty much only good for Magic, so you'll inevitably end up making him focus on Phys/Hunt skills and her on high-MP magic spells. Depending on how you allocate stats, Serph could sub in for either one of them (or both, if you feed him lots of Noises and never swap him out of the active party).

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Cardboard Fox posted:

I've just started up Digital Devil Saga and after reading the OP I'm still kind of confused as to which stats to grab and which mantra to unlock. I'm at the point where you pick your first mantra. The OP says to get one that is weak to your element, so does that mean I should unlock the fire mantra for Serph and the Ice one for Heat and in doing so lose all my first mantra's skills?

You don't lose skills when you switch mantras. Equipping a new mantra at the Karma Terminal just means that you're learning the new skills that are in that mantra; once you get enough Atma Points to master your current mantra, you always have the skills that you learned from that mantra. You only have a few skill slots to actually equip the skills you've learned, though the number of skills available will go up a couple times as you gain levels.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Persona 1 and Devil Survivor had the "Megamu Ibunroku" prefix in Japan, which only helps to confuse things. It's all the same drat franchise anyways, even if they're not technically the same "series" (however you define that).

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The MC's cell phone is really weird looking. Do people really have phones that look like this? :psyduck:

Seems kinda unwieldy

Pretty sure that's an homage to the computer from the original Devil Summoner games, except it's a cellphone instead of a gun.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Policenaut posted:

And this is a compilation video of the 4 most recent clips Atlus released to show off some newer content. You've got some new Quest dialogue (in Japanese), Yosuke dressed up as a furry, Galactic Punt: Bike Edition, and fusing some of those Mitama monsters into "Neko Shogun"

Neko Shogun was in P4 already, though making it with a quad-Mitama fusion is new. Either there are a lot of new specific multi-card recipes for existing Personas, or fusing the Mitamas like that creates completely random Personas.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Policenaut posted:

If I had to guess, Atlus is gonna wait for TGS to reveal SMT4 in full.

That or another random issue of Famitsu no one could possibly predict! Wild card, woo!

No, the Wild Card is in Persona :v:

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Droplitz is a fun puzzle game that kind of plays like a cross between Bejewled and Pipe Dream/Pipe Mania. It'd definitely be worth five bucks to have it on a portable system, even if it does go for the same price on Steam when it's not on sale.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

I have no idea what Lord of Vermilion is (apparently some sort of Japanese arcade CCG?), but it's adding some... interesting versions of Persona characters in its latest update.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Artix74 posted:

Persona 4 was released a full 2 years after the launch of the Wii and PS3. Raidou 2 came out in Summer 2009. Atlus loves to launch their big RPGs well after the generation is "over."

P4 wasn't their first PS2 RPG, though; not even close. Nocturne was their first RPG of that generation, and it came out in 2003, three years after the PS2 debuted, and two years after that particular game engine was first used in Maken Shao.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

SavageMessiah posted:

So did Atlus reprint a bunch of the PS2 SMT games or is there some sort of sale? Nocturne, Persona 3 and 4, and Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 are all 19.99 new on Amazon. I snagged the first three as Strange Journey has transformed me from "SMT what is that" to "SMT gently caress YESSSSS".

There have been a few reprints over the past couple years, enough that all of the PS2 MegaTens can be found for sane prices (except Devil Summoner: Raidou 1, which never got reprinted and still fetches $40+ used).

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

-Your party members, Justice, Heirophant, Hermit, Temperance, Sun, and Tower are your must-have S. Links, for both plot and gameplay reasons. Strength doesn't matter once your Diligence hits level 3, and Temperance and Sun don't really matter either once you max Expression and Understanding. S. Links are a lot easier this time around because for the most part it's impossible to reverse or break them.

I wouldn't really rank Temperance, Sun or Tower that high for actual utility. Party members and Hermit are the absolute top priorities, though. I'd argue that Hermit is possibly the highest-priority S.Link in the early game, since SP is the main factor in forcing you to leave the dungeon for the day, but you will want to raise and eventually max S.Links on the party members you use the most as quickly as is reasonably possible.

Some of your S.Links are tied to jobs and activities that raise stats (Devil raises Courage, Temperance raises Understanding, Tower and Sun raise Expression, and Strength raises Diligence), which is helpful, especially early on, but there are plenty of other ways to raise all of those (especially Courage, which increases from beating bonus dungeon bosses in addition to other mundane activities).

Strength, Sun, Hanged Man, and Moon are only available during school days, Temperance, Tower and Devil only during certain nights, and Death only on Sundays, so those will probably take priority over S.Links that are available more often. You also need a high stat just to start the Devil, Moon and Empress S.Links, and one or two maxed stats to start the Fortune and Tower S.Links, so you might not have much time to actually raise those links up very high if you've been neglecting certain stats. (Some other S.Links eventually hit a point where you can't raise the S.Link without increasing or maxing out a stat, but those are the only ones that can't even start without meeting a minimum on a stat.) Likewise, you unlock the Death and Moon S.Links by getting rank 4 in the Devil and Strength S.Links, respectively, so if you've been ignoring those S.Links you might not have much time to work on either of those (especially Death).

There's a timetable of when the various S.Links are available here. Hierophant and Justice are both available irregularly and stop being available at all after certain plot events; like Nate said, maxing both of them out by the end of October is probably for the best.

Also: playing with the knob machine in the main street uses up your activity for the day. That's never worth spending your time on unless it's raining, you've already beaten the current dungeon boss, and you can't afford (or wouldn't get any stat gains from) eating the bottomless beef bowl in the restaurant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

TurnipFritter posted:

I for one am thrilled that Persona 5 is about a squad of stylish teen cat burglars.