Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
also I'm pretty sure the oldest woman in the cast is the one that has the smallest boobs (Otome) :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

Keita may annoy the hell out of me, but he felt realistic to me, which is more than I could say about half of the other characters (The trifecta of Yamato/Ronaldo/Saiduq, Joe, Airi, to some extent Fumi, Hinako's outfit), or Yuzu and Midori in the first game.

Well, I don't think Saiduq is supposed to be realistic... He just plays the same role that Lucifer plays in the other SMT games (or Loki in DS1 I guess)

and I thought Joe was pretty realistic myself, just a gigantic flake who tries to be funny all the time. I agree with you about Yamato, Airi, Ronaldo though.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I'm not arguing he's necessarily relevant to the plot or anything (though you could also use that argument to kill off Jungo, Airi, Hinako, Otome) just that he was more realistic than Yamato/Ronaldo.

and I don't think he was necessarily a less emo Yosuke, I thought Daichi filled that role... Joe reminded me more of a mix between the teacher in persona 3 that ran SEES and Gin.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Alteisen posted:

How often can I do this, I talk to the goblin but I don't get a prompt to take his stuff.

you have to go off his square and come back for it to work multiple times if I recall correctly.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I thought the SJ law ending was worse because it did literally show everyone on giant pillars worshipping Zelenin and God. Yeah it also probably be equal but that just didn't sit right with me vs. the ending in DS2.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
It's really not that bad, I don't know why everyone's having so much trouble. Also, the hard bosses are not hard because they're cheap (USUALLY) and that you need to grind levels, but you need to make smart fusion choices.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I went back and played Innocent Sin after I finished P4, and I feel that Innocent Sin has the best SMT story out there (admittedly going through Eternal Punishment now so who knows if that's better) but Innocent Sin is definitely worth playing, if only for the story.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Seems like Chie's being recast in Arena, which isn't TOO surprising, her voice actor isn't really a big voice actor necessarily. She's being played by Erin Fitzgerald who did Erica from Catherine, who I did like so it hopefully should be good... I'm just wondering if they have to rerecord every single line in Golden now though, because I assume the original VA is not going to be in Golden either.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

I can't speak for everyone else, but Fumi was one of my favorite characters, actually. It's not her character's fault that everyone else is a moron. As far as my least favorite characters go, I'd say they're Keita, Airi, Yamato, then Daichi or Ronaldo, in more or less that order.

I loved her too, and my least favorite characters are basically your list. except Daichi is first because god drat he's annoying, not even what he does on the first day can redeem him.

At least Atsuro had a skill that wasn't whining all the time.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Momomo posted:

I just think of Fumi being condescending as compensation for the black hole of stupidity that was Yuzu.

^^^You take that back, Daichi is awesome.

No way, you crazy, he's the worst. Maybe he gets better on his endings but I'm pretty sure I unlocked the Akashic Record ending on my last playthrough, though I opted to go with Al Saiduq and it really didn't seem that impressive. He basically lucked into that ending if I recall correctly.

Really though my favorites are Jungo, Joe, Otome and Io though Io's only good if you finish her fate scenes.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Keita isn't really a character though, at least in terms of having a personality. Makes me miss Kaido, but I think the plot was better in DS1 overall. I went back to DS1 after playing DS2, and DS2 definitely lays on the anime HARD (I grew to hate that silly music track in DS2 so much), and DS1 definitely has better pacing. DS2 still plays way better, but yeah... hopefully they go back to something more serious in DS3 whenever that happens.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Just call the stuff in DS2 silly and occasionally uncomfortable, because it is very silly, and that scene with Airi having "sex appeal" did make me very uncomfortable.

Whereas P4 is silly at times but never uncomfortable.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Yeah I don't think Yosuke is supposed to be seen as right during the sequence. He acts like a dick the whole way through the school campout...

how could someone who steals someone else's penguin be seen as in the right :argh:

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
The interface of Persona 4 is one of my favorite parts. Of course, I do like bright colors... Still, it's mad stylish.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Persona 5's gonna be poo poo anyway, where is my Nocturne sequel Atlus :argh: That's what I really care about.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

The Nocturne sequel is called Strange Journey.

A proper sequel, specifically to the True Demon ending. All I want is to go gently caress up the Great Will :(

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Devil Survivor 1 is probably one of my favorite SMT games honestly. after Nocturne and maybe Persona 4. DS2 aint as good but it's still fun to play. Plus DS2 does have Jungo...

Except for those loving bonus bosses :argh:

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I'd personally prefer to see Persona 5 use the fate system or something similar, because at least they would all be related to the plot. You're making the mistake of not seperating the writing, which is definitely not as good as persona, to the actual system itself which I feel is superior. Why do I want to hang out with Saki's brother, drama/music club girls, the nurse? Persona 4 makes it fairly clear that hanging out with the investigation team is the thing you should do first. Why not just get rid of those superfluous links, add more characters (or add NPC characters that are directly related to the plot rather than just being some nurse), and make it more urgent? DS and DS2 definitely do a better job with making any choice you make matter (they don't do it perfectly, but most games don't), in Persona 4 all the choices you make until November just impact how many levels your personae get when you fuse, and what abilities your teammates have.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Corrosion posted:

I am saying the system is only good because it's a vessel for delivering a story, so the writing matters. I'm not separating the writing because that's the entire basis for the argument you and others are making. "The story and system will be better, improved, because you're including this thing that dramatically depends on writing."

Make no mistake, the Fate System would tell an entirely different story and no one's really convinced me otherwise, that it would be a measurable improvement or that it's better. How could they? It'd be subjective to writing which, at that point, would be telling a different story, which was the first point of contention I made anyway. It's going to either be different or, taking it a step further, not an improvement anyway.
That's not really any sort of argument for or against it though. All you're saying is "the fate system might be worse or better it depends on the writing!" which is kinda... obvious? I mean, there's a bunch of stuff that social links fail at; having to have a card to maximize level up time, potentially just wasting a day because you didn't say the right stuff, being pretty much done with a person once you hit 10... All problems to be solved with the Fate system. Like, there's always a new scene with someone once you get done with a previous conversation, there's never any filler like the stuff in Persona 4. You can get to Fate 5 without having completed their storylines, even. and sure, the fate system wasn't used to it's potential in DS2 but there's no reason it couldn't be adapted to Persona. Fate system would either have to be changed fairly radically if they do make it a whole year, or they could do a smaller time frame and have it work just as it does in DS2, but that'd still be an interesting change; I really don't want to just have the same system from Persona 4 anyway.

I mean, Persona 1 and 2 are completely different games aren't they? the jump from Persona 2 to 3 would still be more radical than the jump from 4 to 5 if they include the fate system instead of social links.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Corrosion posted:

Organic is relative to the nature of the story, and it's pretty clear that Devil Survivor 2 is telling a different story from the Persona games.

What really makes a Persona game? Like, the two Persona 2 games are telling wildly different things than Persona 3 and 4. You're talking as though Persona is unchanging, which it isn't. Do I think they're gonna change it? no. To say that the fate system would somehow not work in any persona game... that's probably also wrong.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
The fate system would do that just as well, they really aren't that different. Unless you think it has more meaning because you don't have to do it, but you also don't have to get everyone to fate rank 5 either.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
They probably will though. All I really want is for them to impact the story in some meaningful way at the very least.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Finished DS2 and boy was that last day really stupid. The game was enjoyable but it honestly felt like it didn't do much better than the first Devil Survivor.

I didn't like the story and stuff (like DS1 better in general), but the gameplay in DS2 is markedly better. More skills, better balance, less idiotic AI.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
i'm actually going through EP right now, I have to wonder how people who played it before realizing there was a whole other game before it thought about it. The early story kinda doesn't make any sense without that knowledge.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I missed how the laplace mail would get more and more screwed up day after day. Also the male tico looks like Theo, which is probably what they were going for?

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

They'll just hire people who actually understand English to write the lyrics and perform the vocals.

The only one I'd say that was really bad was the second Persona 4 anime opening. the others were just kinda silly.

although the 2nd opening was really funny so maybe they should just continue to make the english terrible.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
How far am I to the end of Eternal Punishment? I'm on the Torifune spaceship and I just beat metal Jun, Lisa and Eikichi

Seriously though, Persona 2's story is incredible. If it was a better playing game I would probably say it's the best SMT game but it's still in my top 3.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I liked DeSu2, but DeSu1 is probably one of my favorite SMT games (after Nocturne, Persona 4 and MAYBE persona 2) no idea why! I mean the characters definitely aren't as good (though I still really like Gin, he aint Jungo) but the plot is way way better.

Also, cool thing about DeSu2, the screen when you load a game changes when you beat an ending; one for each city, and it also adds the big dipper if you go for Saiduq's ending.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I honestly prefer that (especially the song) to the IS remade one. I mean IS's is crazy and cool, but it also features Lotus Juice.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Lotus Juice is fine, but I don't think he fits with EP or IS.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
speaking of charts, there was a big picture chart that had all the characters from the persona games (and maybe some others) that had them organized by height. Anyone have that picture?

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Pierce posted:

I was pumped about P2 for half the game. The battle system really needs some work. Stopped playing after getting to the temples. I couldn't take it anymore.

Try again, because you're very very close to done and the ending is pretty fantastic.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Persona 4 dance party? That's a pretty great intro not gonna lie.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
That doesn't look like the Demifiend to me... I hope it does involve him though.

He's the best silent protagonist ever :allears:

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Eh, none of the main SMT games have shared a protagonist so no shock here.

well, I was just remarking that the TDE did end on a cliffhanger.

I honestly don't know what the hell SMT even means at this point. Well, when a SMT game is named so in Japan at any rate. Nocturne was pretty different from the first two, then you get Strange Journey... I assume it is the Strange Journey team working on it though (or did they share staff with the Etrian Odyssey team?)

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
What happened at the end of SMT2? Probably not related, but the only surviving thing at the end of SMT1 was Tokyo...

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
If Persona 5 was gonna be on a handheld I think we'd have probably seen it already, so I assume that will be on the PS360 (I think, after Catherine, that's probably safe to say) you're right on the whole though.

Also, I hope SMT IV has that darker feeling soundtrack that SMT3 and Strange Journey have. Strange Journey is probably one of my top three soundtracks for the series.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I actually liked DS1 better, but I played the first time so long ago I had forgotten how annoying those missions were when you didn't have the higher leveled demons.

Also, I'm trying to beat Beelzebub in DS2 and... I'm not sure what the best route is for it. I'm using Fumi, Jungo and Otome (my team for pretty much everything) but I always get messed up and they take down 3 guys and I can't recover from that.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Technique posted:

Also, i'm getting tempted to get a Naoyatar. Although i really like my Jungotar too. Choices are hard. :sigh:

Stick with Jungo.

Naoya's cool an all, but can he make Chawanmushi? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

SNES games have aged much better than most PS1 games though?

SMT 1 and 2, at least, haven't aged well at all.