Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Justice posted:

So what you're saying is that it would also make perfect sense if it did not happen.
...Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

TurnipFritter posted:

Shin Megami Tensei GBA is now available on the iOS for fourteen bucks. Also it's still in Japanese.

Now you just need to strap it to your arm and use it like a COMP.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

thebardyspoon posted:

Just ordered Persona 4 because I've been hearing about it for years and have been on a bit of a Japanese game kick lately. I'm going in pretty much knowing nothing beyond what's in the OP here and knowing some character names and stuff from Giant Bomb (haven't watched the ER obviously). Looking at the Before I Play thing seems absolutely confusing as poo poo, is this stuff that the game will definitely explain even if only briefly? I want to play without a guide but I also don't want to get stuck in an unwinnable situation halfway into what seems like a longass game. I think I asked this in the Before I Play thread actually and apparently the manual is quite good and will clear up alot of those terms which is nice but it still seems very possible to screw yourself over unknowingly, is it?
It is possible but the game is actually pretty forgiving about allowing you to progress compared to other SMT games. The only way to screw yourself over is waiting too long to tackle dungeons since you have a time limit for each. Once each dungeon presents itself you should try to take it down without delaying too much, since that way you won't find yourself against the wall. As Before I Play points out, you'll find the first couple dungeons to be particularly difficult because you're not well equipped and aren't familiar with the game yet. Once you get them figured out the rest of the game should come naturally.

You can still miss out on stuff but that's to be expected; it's virtually impossible to see everything in one go without a guide so don't even try.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Douche Bag posted:

Can you get by in Persona 4 by just randomly fusing your demons? I haven't bothered to look up how to do it properly and have been sorta winging it. So far I'm doing alright but I'm worried down the road I might be in trouble.
If you just focus on fusing the highest level personas you can you'll probably do fine. There was only one point in the game where I found myself fusing a persona for a specific task and it allowed me to breeze through it.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Dastardly posted:

Think it's pretty easy to figure out when the upstanding man of society Kanji scene takes place with these two new pictures.

Also super adorable Nanako.

http://imgur.com/a/HZXms

I don't know about you guys but I just feel like hugging everyone.
Respectable Member of Society Kanji Tatsumi is pretty much selling me on this game all on his own.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Suaimhneas posted:

Whoa, whoa, what?

That's Kanji?

Hahahaha, I've been thinking "Who's this new guy?" for the past couple of pages.

Kanji what the hell are you doing
Cleaning up :colbert:

Can't get the vaguely androgynous genius detective if you dress like a thug.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
So what's up with Soul Hackers? Is it a good game?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Junpei is useless for the middle of the game but becomes awesome at the end of the game when he learns all of the most powerful physical attacks, since there are plenty of shadows in the top level and the secret end dungeon that are vulnerable to various Physical attacks.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Dr Pepper posted:

Please let the silly options be chosen every time.
I really hope the "Meow" option is due to the Atlus translation team being Super Trooper fans.

Also Maerlyn's Grapefruit sounds like a Dark Tower reference.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
What's the basic plotline of Soul Hackers?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Cake Attack posted:

Sorry, more DDS questions. The before I play entry says to have Focus, War Cry, and Fog Breath, yet none of these seem to actually be skills in the game. Did the entry just get jumbled with Nocturne's?
That info is definitely jumbled from Nocturne. It's especially pointless because it mentions how once you forget a skill you can never learn it again, but in DDS you can customize your skill list at any time.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I swear to god if Persona 5 ends up being a Wii-U exclusive
More likely a 3DS exclusive at this point.

Either way, :getin:

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Plus it's not as if even console SMT games are particularly hardware intensive. I'm sure you could put any of the PS2 SMT games on the 3DS and they'd probably look better if anything. I'm sure that Nintendo wouldn't say no to a console game either, if only because they're not really in a position to say no to any third parties.

It could end up as a Bayonetta 2 scenario, where your choices are playing the game on a console you might otherwise not have bought, or the game not existing at all.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Kurtofan posted:

I hope this doesn't mean SMT X Fire Emblem will be canceled.
Nintendo wouldn't let that happen.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
This last page has been incredibly distressing.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Just saw the P5 trailer, and having watched Guy Ritchie's Revolver a couple days ago, all I can think of is that the theme is characters breaking free from the control of their own egos, and in doing so escaping the rules of the world. Maybe the "chain" concept is taking control of the persona, instead of being controlled by it.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Captain Walker posted:

P3 kinda drags already, I've actually never finished it, so going through the whole high school experience might be a bit much. Action RPG battles might be cool though, or at least action commands so there's a reason not to auto-battle on everything that isn't immune to your weapons in the late game other than "I like the cool crit animations".

Coincidentally, there are entire characters whose only real use in combat is that they have cool crit animations (sorry Kanji).
I kept Kanji on exclusively because of the utility of Atomic Press.

See also Chie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Look at how wrong this guy is. Laugh at him.

The DDS games really benefit from being played back-to-back though. The first game is all the questions, the second game is all of the (very odd) answers. The first game has more sidequests, the second game has better optional bosses. The first game is more open and gives you increasingly more ways to combat situations, the second game takes your options away more often than not, and forces you to adapt your strategy. The first game is more traditional RPG, with towns and downtime--the second game is really a string of dungeon crawls punctuated by The Biggest Dungeon Crawl.

Both games feature simply gargantuan final dungeons, perhaps the largest of any Megaten game.
Does DDS2 give you tools to become Literally Invincible the way that DDS1 does? Because I ground that game so hard that by the end I, as a matter of fact, could not be killed by anything except the stupid Hidden Boss.