Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Perfect Potato posted:

Didn't it come out on the rear end end of 2008 or something? On the PS2??? I'm surprised they got as many sales as they did.

Yeah, for some reason Atlus USA thought releasing it three weeks before Christmas of 2008 was a good idea, because P4 was totally going to compete with Gears of War 2, Left 4 Dead, Fallout 3, Rock Band 2, and that year's other holiday heavyweights.

P3 was released in August, and FES in April, which just might have had something to do with the better sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Catalina posted:

Wow, I checked the date after reading this, and FES was in April 2008, too, only eight months after Persona 3 was released....

FES had been out for months by the time vanilla P3 made it overseas. Go figure.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Aegis is kind of charming when she first appears. Her weird mannerisms and fish out of water plot are endearing, especially when combined with her murderbot side. poo poo only gets bad when they start trying to give her character and make the player take her seriously, which because P3 is anime as gently caress translates into making her needy and pathetic to an incredibly creepy level. P4 Arena tries really, really hard to address some of those issues and at partially succeeds in making her at least likable again.

On the other hand Ken just always felt really out of place and boring and pretty much the entire reason he's included in the game is "Kids these days never wear shorts."

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The entire point of Lucifer coming off as reasonable in comparison to God is that he's the loving devil and swaying unknowing mortals to his cause with a silver tongue is as much a part of his traditional depiction as speaking as a voice from the heavens is for God.

The SMT games in which he's much more appealing are just ones in which he's better written and that generally have a more coherent narrative arc. SMTIV is kind of bad in that regard, so Lucifer is just evil mcbadguy waiting around for you to kill him at the end. Noctourne is thematically tighter than practically any other SMT game, and so Lucifer is woven into the story well, to the point that blowing up the universe and ushering in an endless demonic age is sold to the player pretty effectively. It's still a terrible idea, but boy howdy does the player want to do it anyway!

Just for once though, I'd like an SMT game in which the neutral ending is also the bad one, and where waffling around and basking in your own indecisive moral hubris results in far worse outcomes than an aligned path. Don't have the stones to make a real choice? Enjoy watching everything go to poo poo from your high horse, dickbag.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Butt Ghost posted:

:unsmith:

Also, Junpei and Yosuke potentially being bros feels like a whole new realm of possibility has opened.

TEAM BROFIST:

Yosuke
Kanji
Junpei
Akihiko
Shinji

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dehry posted:

Persona Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHQVJCFIKTs
Kanji

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbT9W7dDEfA
Koromaru

Atlus discovered people don't like Pewdiepie last night. The post about him playing Daylight and the apology were both taken down, but comments were tearing into Pewdiepie and recommending they work with Two Friends Play or Game Grumps. Slowbeef got a screenshot though.

https://twitter.com/slowbeef/status/449374788302422016

Kanji gushing over Koromaru and miniature Teddy is pretty funny. I like that PQ seems to be taking the P3/P4 crew to their logical Hanna-Barbara cartoon conclusion.

Dear Atlus, please make a SMT version of Wacky Racers next, with Personas as go-karts.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dehry posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zylNRGrXabw

Persona Q leaked early. Here's the full opening movie. (Just the trailer clips arranged in order)

This is pretty much everything I hoped it would be. BROS! GIRL POWER! MASCOTS! RANDOM HORROR IMAGERY!

Also I'm trying to figure out what the gently caress those bosses are based off of, but I got nothing.

Dehry posted:

Because then Atlus Japan and USA would have to work together, and have both a Japanese and English version written at the same time. Atlus may just not have the resources to do that and prefer time to localize the game for american audiences.

My understanding is that Atlus USA usually doesn't get access to the game code until it's more or less final, as they're basically an entirely unique corporate entity that happens to specialize in Atlus titles and has licensed the name. Maybe that's changed with SEGA now, though.

PsychoInternetHawk fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 3, 2014

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ApplesandOranges posted:

I might be considering picking up SMTIV.

As someone who's really only played the Persona side of things, anything I should know before going in?

Every SMT game that isn't P3/P4 requires you to be much, much more proactive and sink some time and effort into obtaining new demons, as opposed to P3/P4 which just hand new ones to you after fights. Don't be tempted into using the compendium, it'll get really expensive really fast because you have three demon slots active at a time instead of one and thus need more good demons at any given time.

Negotiating will seem sporadic as hell at first (which it is, but not nearly so much as most SMTs), but eventually you'll get abilities that will make it easier. Always be recruiting, and as soon as you run out of space for more demons, get a-fusin' and recruit some more. That's really the best advice for any SMT, but more so for non-Persona ones.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Speedball posted:

For some reason the Law/Chaos choices in SMTIV bug me a lot more than they did in Strange Journey. I don't know why. In Strange Journey it was actually kind of fun to get drunk on the power of Law or Chaos and watch all your crew members go nuts right along with you (and it was similarly satisfying to be Neutral and try to keep everyone not crazy). Here though it feels a lot more...painful.

One of the consequences of making the Law/Chaos characters in SMTIV much more likable and human is that when poo poo finally does get real, it kind of comes out of nowhere and feels forced. Jonathan and Walter both seem like sane people with some ideological quibbles, but are forced to fit into the alignment paths the game wants to have because it's SMT.

In Noctourne it makes way more sense that everyone ends up a crazy rear end in a top hat because it's the more or less the end of the old world, ditto with the Devil Survivors and SJ. SMTIV's world is a little more stable, if not still lovely, so the alignment choices come off as a more "wait what."

*edit* SJ also works because eventually both Law and Chaos drop any pretense of being The Good Guys and just become strait up batshit insane GOTTA KILL EVERYONE monsters.

PsychoInternetHawk fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 26, 2014

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Question: how much new content does DS: Overclocked add? It's on sale soon and since Break Record looks like it's going to be released after P5 if ever, I was wondering if it was worth picking up.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Personas are pretty clearly supposed to mirror your self-concept to an extent, so they naturally match the gender of the user-with the exception of Naoto, because she kind of views herself as straddling both genders, and Ken, because he hasn't hit puberty yet and thus doesn't have quite the same concept of gender as the older characters. FemPC acts very girly and clearly considers herself very feminine, so naturally her persona comes out with feminine characteristics.

*edit* Also, I think the simple act of changing the lyre to a heart does a pretty good job of showing the difference between the two characters while keeping them parallel. FemPC is really nice and friendly when compared to the incredibly dour and apathetic MalePC.

PsychoInternetHawk fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 19, 2014

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

CottonWolf posted:

Speaking of which, considering the theme of P5 will be breaking chains, I bet they'll take African mythology as the inspiration for the main Personas. I'd probably prefer Aztec, but African does have some really cool stuff that doesn't get enough airtime. Though what proportion of the bits I know about were in the original African religion and how much is Haiti specific, who knows. Either way, Baron Samedi is a great concept for a god.

Oh my god I would be loving all about this, Africa basically gets ignored in video games unless it's full of generic scary brown people for the player to gun down by the dozen.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

To be fair the neutral paths are usually terrible too because your directly or indirectly championing humanity and lets be honest here, folks, it's their fault to begin with in basically every game.

This is why I like the Anguished One's path in Devil Survivor 2, you can call bullshit not only on both alignments but on humanity being a ton of fuckups and basically push a giant "reset the world" button.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I just recently picked up DS2 because I figured Break Record was vaporware. WELP.

I do like the new Dangan-Ronpa-esque art style they're going for though. Hopefully they altered the portraits to match. I also like how their solution to fixing Io's absurd anti-grav-boobs is to dress her in a giant red hoodie. If they make Hinako's design less awful as well, I'm sold.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I hope they changed it, because I really, really enjoyed DS2 but boy howdy did that art style and those designs do their damndest stop me. I liked the cast in general quite a bit but holy poo poo every female character not named Makoto looked like they were designed by Dark_Tzitzimine.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The single time my girlfriend took a look at my DS when I was playing DS2 was during a dialogue sequence with Io, and I'm pretty sure her exact words were "Hang on a second, that's not how boobs work."

Like I'm pretty sure her uniform has some kind of weird boob-pocket because it's skin-tight except for the part where suddenly GIANT TITTIES and seriously Atlus you're better than this.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ChaosArgate posted:

Ronaldo's ideal world is literally the opposite of Yamato's. In Yamato's world, everyone has to earn their place in society, whereas Ronaldo wants everyone to be treated equal to one another. Both of them want Polaris to rewrite the rules of the world to adhere to their ideals, but aside from that, they don't really give a poo poo about what Polaris does as long as he's not bringing down the Septentrions again.

Except they're both dumb as hell because their respective complaints have the same solutions: make a world in which everyone is totally capable of taking care of themselves. That way nobody has to be unduly burdened by others, and nobody dies or gets left behind. But Yamato won't do it because he wants to be able to lord over the weak, and Ronaldo won't do it because he wants to be the righteous hero.

The problem with Yamato and Ronaldo isn't their ideologies, it's that they've disguised petty vanity as some kind of grand philosophical battle and refuse to think bigger so that they can indulge in their narcissism. Noctourne does a similar thing, where the question being asked is ostensibly "what kind of world do you think is just?" when in reality it's "what makes you feel good about yourself?"

PsychoInternetHawk fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 30, 2014

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I could not for the loving life of me figure out what my alignment in Raidou 2 did. I think I got a message like right before the final boss telling me I'd chosen chaos but it didn't seem very chaos-y at all.

It is definitely a better way of doing things than SMT IV though, where all of a sudden the game screams ALIGNMENT TIME and all of the characters suddenly go off the rails for no reason. Jonathan's change is especially jarring because he goes straight from being all "chill guys there's no need for violence" to "genocide? sure whatever hail yehweh."

Really the only SMT where all alignments are pretty OK is SJ, just because the entire situation is so monsterously inhuman and nihilistic and awful that going batshit insane seems like a pretty reasonable response considering the circumstances.

PsychoInternetHawk fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 7, 2015

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

The_Frag_Man posted:

I really want to play Strange Journey now...

Do you like dungeon crawlers? I mean really loving like dungeon crawlers to the point where being randomly teleported by an invisible tile to the beginning of the dungeon causes a reaction not of "gently caress this bullshit" but rather "OH BOY NOW I GET TO DO IT AGAIN!" and also this reaction persists when it happens 10 more times in the next 5 minutes? Do you also like searching every wall to see if there's a random unmarked hidden passage that probably leads to another teleport tile? If so, you might like Strange Journey!

To be fair it does have some of the best aesthetics and themes in the entirety of SMT, and there really is like nothing else out there in that regard, but the actual gameplay is such unfun bullshit that I find it really hard to actually recommend. It's not even too hard, final boss aside, just incredibly tedious.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I really wanted to like DDS but in comparison to mainline SMT where grinding is not a thing but boy howdy does it expect you to hang out and kill poo poo for points

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hashtag Fire Emblem looks cool and good and fun and y'all are kidding yourselves if you think this isn't just as anime then your typical SMT game (which is to say anime as gently caress)

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

littleorv posted:

Time to kill Nanako

Not gonna lie, I'd be pretty impressed with Atlus' cojones if this became an actual plot point for a P4 spinoff

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Moltrey posted:

Why would someone NOT pick Female Tico? Who doesn't want to have a nice wheee?

Female Tico's personality seems alright but I'm not so sure if I like having to interact with a Playboy bunny with weird dildo ears.

Like in a game that is filled with questionable character design choices hers is easily one of the worst.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Level Slide posted:

Playing Digital Devil Saga 1 and my dudes are mastering mantra faster than I can get the money for new ones.

#JunkyardWorldProblems

Honestly this is one of the things that turned me off the game. Part of the appeal of SMT to me is the gigantic amount of horizontal flexibility you have at any given time thanks to fusion/recruitments, and DDS doesn't have that unless you grind a lot.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The only way I will accept a DAN sequel is if Mara is DLC, along with Get Low.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the only way I'll accept any SMT from now on is if Mara is voiced by Lil Jon

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Anatharon posted:

Maybe I should redo my Personae then because Fatal End (the best physical spell I have right now) only does about 15 more damage than a straight melee hit.

That...really shouldn't be the case. Is that skill on a Personae with a high phys stat? You should be trying to get damaging skills on Personae that have high phys or mag stats depending on the skill type. Weapons don't affect physical skill damage, just generic attack damage, so that phys stat on the persona is really key.

That doesn't mean it's not worth it to fuse personae with skills that don't match their stats-often those personas will have a strong skill that you'll want to pass on to others with the stats to use it well. But you want those to mooch experience off random battles, they're not boss-killers. If you're not putting skills on a Persona with the right stats, they'll get lousy damage even if the skills is technically a strong one.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer
SJ's worst sin is having a lot of dumb tedious parts that basically require trial and error to get through without pulling up a map. Well, that and the MC being terrible without using a gimmick build.

The atmosphere is incredible and really unique but if you're a filthy casual who plays games for "fun" it may not be worth it.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer
100%ing a SMT game is frequently tedious if you include the compendium.

Like, I don't feel like doing an entire playthrough to get a single extra demon from another alignment and pat myself on the back.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer
P3's music really nails the atmosphere much better. Tartatus' theme is appropriately creepy and the way the music changes and builds as you ascend is a nice touch. The music for school matches the whole "I'm a teen in the city and I have all this free time to do everything" theme. The dorm music is chill and mellow, etc. Everything connects to what you're doing in a way that really clicks.

P4's music might be better on its own, but it doesn't give me visceral flashbacks to the game how P3's does. It's not used as well.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I'm almost positive the traitor thing is a lie and is really some variant of the prisoner's dilemma. The bad ending is giving you the opportunity to rat out your friends and the supposed traitor in return for your freedom and thus becoming the kind of lovely two-faced adult you've been fighting against the whole time.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Noctourne owns but it's feast/famine to such a degree that most fights are decided before they start. Like the actual battle system is practically a formality because it's either roll or be rolled.

Which fits perfectly with the themes of the game, of course.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

Strange Journey was my first MegaTen game and when I played it I felt it was pretty "bare" in the character department. Upon replaying SJ(R) though, I really like Jimenez and Zelenin. I've now played Nocturne, SMTIV and IVA and SJ actually does better with companion characters than IV ever did. They re ally wanted to try something more in depth with Jonathan and Walter but I don't think it worked at all. You only talk to Zelenin and Jimenez rarely, at designated plot moments, but I still felt there was much more substance to them and why they ended up as they did.

Best Alignment Reps are in DeSu 1 and 2, though.

One of the problems with trying to do in-depth alignment buddies is that most people's reaction to encountering real angels and demons would be to lose their goddamn minds.

Walter and Jonathan are both pretty lucid and thoughtful through when they join with their respective alignments and start a cosmic pissing contest. Zelenin and Jiminez are pretty one-note, but that works much better when they start unraveling and by the time they join their alignments it's pretty convincing.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

mandatory lesbian posted:

I actually like that all of strange journeys (original flavor) routes are a bad end, it's charming in a way I'm sure only appeals to a particular subset of player

Redux fixing law and chaos to have reletively happy endings is better from a "making the player feel good at the end" perspective but I'm glad they just ended up making neutrals end explicitly "wow this sucks"

One of my big complaints about SMT is that neutral endings tend to be a lot of just-so moralism and it's always nice to see one that actually admits just how hosed up humanity is.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The P4 and P5 crew are all very close, some of yall need to play vanilla P3 to see what it's like when the cast is definitely not friends

PsychoInternetHawk fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 15, 2020

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

DemoneeHo posted:

I do wonder if SMTV is a direct sequel to Nocturne, specifically TDE route. Maybe Lucifer finally succeeded in attacking heaven and dethroning god.

Then the direct wouldn't be, "Hey we got 2 games for you soon" but more like "Hey these 2 games are directly linked"

The trailer literally starts with Lucy bragging about killing God and that demon who pops up to help the protag really looks like a buffed-up demifiend, and Noctourne's Tokyo is also covered in dunes. I'm sure there's a connection. I wouldn't be surprised if it's something like "the demifiend chose the neutral path but Lucifer eventually managed to pull off his victory anyway" and the protag is charged with making a new diety.

PsychoInternetHawk fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 21, 2020

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Saagonsa posted:

SMT4A's story is absolutely not similar to any modern Persona game's other than that friendship is a thing that exists

You're not wrong, but in generally speaking in mainline SMT games friendship does not exist.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer
That story trailer has me reaching critical levels of hype, I can't believe how loving good this game looks

really want to know what the deal is with the demon that looks like evil Aku-Aku and lets people ride around in his mouth

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

wologar posted:

Are... are they not?

Nah man everyone loves Demi-fiend for his rich backstory and multifaceted personality duh

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I can't answer for 100% sure to be honest. I was able to choose from three paths clearly but there are four pips for endings on the save file so it is possible there is something I missed.

Could be you missed a chance for a "bad" ending like aligning yourself with The White in IV or that Nocturne one that calls you out for being a coward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Tae posted:

Gonna be the lone dissent and say the lack of stuff besides fighting is disheartening

Serious question: what other stuff do you want in a mainline SMT

like I would absolutely love some kind of Devil Survivor 3 or another Raidou or whatever but this is SMTV, running confused around Tokyo getting your poo poo kicked in repeatedly is the whole premise