Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, you could rush through the dungeon and then go back to grind for the sake of grinding, but that sounds like a lovely way to play. And you miss out on chests, too. Really, if all you do is explore every floor as much as you can, fighting most enemies you come across, you'll be fine for the bosses, and you wont have to do annoying grinding runs. Just integrate the battling into your general progress and the game's pacing flows much better, I feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, Monad is really only there so you can power up for optional boss fights. If you don't want to do optional boss fights, then just play the game normally. Personas like Messiah, and grinding for heart items, are total overkill for just finishing the main game. The optional boss fights are just to give people who like grinding something to strive for.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I dunno, I kind of enjoyed the tired mechanic as well. At least, it served the purpose of establishing a more controlled pace. When they more or less outright removed it from P3P, I felt like the game's overall pacing suffered for the worse. The tiredness mechanic certainly had its faults, but removing it without any good replacement was a mistake. Persona 4 completely reworked how dungeons and story progression worked, so tiredness was no longer necessary. They really did a good job in that regard, a few weird lulls not withstanding.

As for AI control, again, the changes they made in P4 were probably for the best, but I still kind of liked it for the same reason as Cleretic. Maybe it's because I played P3 before P4 even came out, and maybe it's because I did most of my playing with FES, which made at least minor improvements to the AI. But I really did feel like I was in command of other people, and that their personalities showed through in how they did battle. It made for a pretty interesting marriage of story and battle.

So really, both these systems, while flawed, still were positive contributions to the game as a whole, I felt.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Iceclaw posted:

Well, it do mostly works, it just lacks an emergency "Drop whatever the gently caress you are doing now and do that" button that allows you to force a move from a teammate. Not having a menu from which you can set everyone's equipement is just a bore, though.

Yeah, I will agree there were some big interface issues with that. Also I remember there being other random interface issues in FES, mostly relating to personas and fusing. Maybe a good compromise would have been to be able tell one character per turn to do a specific action, having to do it on the MC's turn.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Iceclaw posted:

I'd prefer a "Give orders" button that you can do on your turn that allows you to issue precises commands to your teammates, in the same way the Tales of serie always allows you to have an AI-controlled teammate use a specific attack, before returning to their normal pattern. And of course, being able to set to full control, but mostly, letting the AI do it things with some little nudges on your part at time would be swell.

V Not in my native tongue :doh: .

Well, I'm a crazy motherfucker in that I feel like a system where you really do have only limited control of your party members could make for an interesting game if you execute on it properly. It feels like Atlus just kind of gave up instead of truly improving the system, which I honestly find a little unfortunate. I'd like to see a game without a full control option do it right.

To be clear, I do think that having full control is ultimately better than the system we saw in P3 and FES, but maybe it would have been even better if they tried harder to make big improvements to that system rather than giving you the option for Full Control.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jan 27, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The GIG posted:

In all honesty, a system like that could rule in an RPG that's more about people stuck together and being forced to work together out of necessity or something, but in a game where you're supposed to be a tight unit with you calling the shots, it's kinda odd to not be able to go "Hey Junpei, you know that thing that's resisting your slashing? I'm just saying, but maybe your fire attacks will work better."

Accept you're not a tight unit at all? A lot of the game's story was driven or influenced by the internal strife within the group. At the beginning, you were pretty far from a tight knit group. You were more like a group of strangers who were only working together out of circumstance. Then there was early strife and teamwork issues the group had to work out. As you resolved your differences and the Fool arcana ranked up, the game represented the growing friendships with you being able to issue more exact commands through the orders menu. They really went out of their way to make you feel like you were kind of like an outsider imposing yourself on this group, and that certain elements didn't agree with your leadership. That was a big part of the game.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pureauthor posted:

Right, that's the theory, but the AI was so bad that it came off less as 'they're not comfortable with you calling the shots' and more 'holy poo poo you guys are stupid stop healing them with Agi dammit'.

Yeah, I'm not going to dispute that. Like I said before, I just wish they tried making improvements to the system instead of giving up and giving everyone full control from the start. I realize this is probably a pretty unpopular opinion, but I like the concept of being in charge of a group that consists of people acting mostly independently, and who slowly grow closer as the game goes on. It was pretty interesting in P3 and I don't think it was quite as bad as some people made it out to be, and it made me want something like it done much better.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The_Frag_Man posted:

I like having AI party members too. You know you can play P4 with AI party members right?
I like the game better that way.

Yeah, but instead of improving that aspect of the game, they actually removed some of the commands you can issue and it's pretty much objectively worse than P3's AI system. I think people are kind of misunderstanding what I'm saying here. I liked P4's battle system quite a bit. I liked it more than P3's. P3's was pretty flawed, all said. But I felt like the idea behind it was really solid and they should have built on that instead of making that aspect worse and just throwing in direct control.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Veks posted:

He has no redeeming qualities, he is just an rear end in a top hat, treats everyone like poo poo and the worst part is that the game wants you to agree with him in everything he says. His attitude towards Kanji and the girls is just horrible. He is a horrible person and the game would be better without him.

VVV But at least they had some reason behind their poo poo (Yuzu more so than Yukari)

He says really lovely things but ultimately he's accepting. He behaves like almost every single other teenager I knew in high school. Teenagers are jerks who say jerk things just to be jerks, whether they believe it or not. Yosuke kind of embodied that. You can tell he'd grow out of it in short order. Although maybe that part should have been more closely examined within the game. That's a problem with all the characters in P4, though. I'll agree with whoever said that they're too static.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Twelve by Pies posted:

Back on topic I liked Yosuke, the only character I didn't much care for was Yukiko, I thought she was a boring as hell character and even her social link didn't do a lot to change that for me. I don't really remember much about Naoto but I didn't actively dislike her like I did with Yukiko, so even if Naoto has zero personality she's still better than Yukiko in my book.

I think Yukiko exemplified a general problem P4 had, with Social Links that almost seem like they go in a circle. Most of the links seemed to present a crisis where in the end it turns out everything is okay the way it was after all. Which I guess is a thing many teenagers go through, but what gets me is the lack of variation.

All this critical talk of these games has me really wondering what they're doing with Persona 5. I really hope that surfaces somewhere this year so we can see. Considering how big of an improvement P4 was, I'm really interested to know what they'll improve for P5, or if they'll go in a completely different direction.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I just want to say that the backstory for SMT4 is really loving weird. I didn't expect them to pull crazy alt-history stuff on us.

quote:

East Mikado is founded on the land of Kanto since 1492 (Gregorian calendar). The country is ruled by King Ahaziah Mikado, whose palace is situated in the very center of the city. The city is heavily fortified and features wide and decorated streets. The protagonist, Isabeau, Jonathan, Walter, and Navarre are samurais from this country.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

RME posted:

Sometimes I read this thread and wonder if anyone actually likes SMT games.

Critical discussions of games you really enjoy can be fun and interesting, too.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I wouldn't rule out it being a minor cameo. Yukiko was in half of the P3P previews, wasn't she?

SMT2 was a direct sequel to 1, obviously. If... was an alternate sequel to 1, based off of a different ending. Other than that, I don't think there are any direct or implied connections.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

Joan of Arc as well, with her tricolor cape :france:

Good catch, I didn't see the cape at first, so I wasn't sure who the knight was.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Handgun Harlot posted:

My theory is that there is a lot of overlap between video game players and people who like breasts.

No fan of breasts enjoys the horrors that man has unleashed. :colbert:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Bleusilences posted:

Why are they changing artist? Is Kazuma Kaneko tired of working there or something?

Edit: Oh I see, he did mostly the old school stuff. He did worked on Devil summoner, Nocturne and Strange Journey thought.

He's still working there. As you said, he did do a lot of Strange Journey art design, and he still has a big role at Atlus. He is just working mostly behind the scenes, not being the lead art director on their titles anymore. I wish he was, I was a little sad to see Soejima take the lead in SMT4. His work fitted Persona 3 and 4 really well, but I rather like Kaneko's style for the main SMT games.

Although if Soejima is working on SMT4, who's leading the art direction with Persona 5?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I just checked around and I guess a Famitsu issue from 2011 confirmed that he was the character designer for Persona 5.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

And by that, he means that all of those games are pretty much garbage. If you really feel like you have to know for yourself, try Devil Children, but it's not really worth your time.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dorroile posted:

No, his coat is badass as gently caress. It has little green matrix-numbers on it! How is that NOT COOL.

He should ditch those geta, though. Nobody ever looks good in geta.

Be honest: how many wolf shirts do you own?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Authorman posted:

I do stick to those games, and so do most people who enjoy Atlus games. I'd just like Atlus to stop wasting resources producing bad games for people who are afraid of change and put out a new Digital Devil Saga in the Persona 4 battle engine or something equally as cool.

You know, your opinions in the Shin Megami Tensei thread would go over a lot better if you weren't actively insulting everyone who liked Shin Megami Tensei.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Most likely the only chance you'll have to play the remake is if, or to be honest, when it gets a fan translation. It's really just a matter of time, it's bound to happen now that they said it wont get localized.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Obviously P2:EP wasn't localized because their localization staff is currently in a all-hands-on-deck effort getting Persona 5 translated and ready for a simultaneous worldwide launch this fall.

(The real answer may be somewhat similar to this. Companies like Atlus USA don't have unlimited resources, and they have to pick and choose the products they want to localize. Sometimes that means passing over a project you know would be profitable in favor of a bigger project.)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Not that I find Dr. Video Games' theory unsound, but why would P5 be such a monumental localization effort? Are you expecting that much more text? Even if it has more spoken word, I don't think the required personnel would scale that much with the recording length.

Persona 4 was probably Atlus USA's most time consuming and expensive localization effort to date, with the amount of VAs they had to hire and lines they had to record, and the sheer amount of text they had to translate. Compare that to every other Atlus game, which are usually quite minimalist in many ways, and rarely had any spoken dialog. Even if it's not a herculean effort compared to other console RPGs, it's a huge effort compared to other Atlus games. Having more voiced dialog might not require much more personnel, but it does require more money for the VAs' time. I'd like to think the studio would be better equipped for it now than they were in the P3 and P4 days, though. I also really doubt that they're going to do a simultaneous launch, I was only kidding around. But they're still probably going to devote some resources to it this year and they're currently devoting a lot of other resources elsewhere, like Dehry mentioned. Point being, sometimes you just gotta make a hard decision and choose which project to drop, even if they all look good.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 27, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, I feel like we've been getting a lot more remakes/ports than actual original games lately. Some of those have been pretty good but overall I'd still prefer something new. SMT4 can't come soon enough.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'd take total remakes from the ground up SMT 1 and 2 for modern consoles in lieu of new games, because they'd basically be new anyways.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Maybe if Catherine was more commercially successful, we'd all be playing p5 right now... :smith:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Len posted:

I know nothing about game localization so this is probably wrong as hell but how much text could there possibly be in a SNES rpg?

It's not like there was any technological limitation on the amount of text that could be stored. And SNES RPGs were up to the point in storytelling where there could be some really massive scripts.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, there's no simple way to do a romhack. There's a lot of really stupid bullshit you have to go through with cartridge based, low-res systems like SNES and GBA games just to get text in and displayed right. It would be a lot of work, and they'd rather spend that effort doing other games* than a port that is completely unnecessary. The only advantage to playing the GBA version is that you can play it on a DS Lite with some flash card combos.

* This would have been the reason back in the day. But now pretty much everyone who used to be involved in the fan translation boom of the early 2000s have pretty much moved on with their lives. The big SMT hacker, Gideon Zhi, is still active, but isn't nearly as prolific as he used to be, and still has a shitload of other projects to finish.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

^^^^ PC game hacking is a lot easier, if only because the decompiled code is a lot easier to work with and there are more people familiar with PC code.

Booky posted:

Ohhh, ok. That makes a lot of sense. :)

Fan translating sounds really complicated! :stare:

Just ask the Let's Play mod, Slowbeef. He was a major programmer for the Policenauts translation. He had to do a lot of custom coding in machine language to get the thing to work properly. Disassembling a console game's code and modifying it is no easy task. The only reason there's a billion romhacks for popular games like SMW is because some people did all the hard work and made easy to use level editors.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 3, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Man, that first game is not worth $28. It's mediocre at best.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

"Guys, we still haven't stopped working on it, we swear!" is good enough for me. That game has been vaporware for some time. I was so sure we'd see something last TGS. Now I'm placing my bets on a Famitsu reveal sometime around E3 (but obviously not at E3)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I can't imagine If would sell very well. It's one of the worst SMT games (which are already niche enough), has outdated visuals and gameplay, and iOS is probably not the best platform for that stuff here. They only have so many resources, it would be kind of ridiculous for them to localize that.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

TurnipFritter posted:

It looks like Devil Survivor 2 Break Record will largely be the same as Overclocked (everything's on the bottom screen but wowee check out those 3D menus!!). The new scenario will apparently be selectable from the title screen and it will feature a casual mode.

It also apparently features a totally new and original character:

I seriously can't tell if this is supposed to be legit or not, because it's so stupid, but it probably will be.

:pwn:

That artist really needs to take an anatomy class or something. That my be his most poorly designed character yet.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Booky posted:

Wow, that fast? :aaaaa: How long do Atlus translations typically take?

Around nine months or so. This is crazy fast.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm going to toss out an August estimate. Just because June and July are a barren wasteland for retail sales, I doubt Atlus would release what may be their biggest game of the year at any time during the summer other than August. Probably the second half of August.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pureauthor posted:

Like the old dudes.

The guy on the left reminds me of a thin Jack Nicholson.