Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Crossposting from PYF because I think this thread will appreciate it:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Not really

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I appreciate it.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i've started speedrunning a terrible game from my childhood (Pandemonium! 2) and as far as i can tell only one guy has ever speedrun it before and it was a TAS, but several of my routes were already faster than it when i first watched it, so it's already kinda obsolete

i dunno where i'm going with this but i'm caught up in the post-GDQ hype and it's super fun to speedrun games and i highly recommend it to everyone

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Studio posted:

Do I learn RUINER, Steamworld Dig 2, or Rise of the Tomb Raider

Come run Toys! on the Genesis with me. It's all SexRex's fault.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

DACK FAYDEN posted:

hell yeah

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

i've started speedrunning a terrible game from my childhood (Pandemonium! 2) and as far as i can tell only one guy has ever speedrun it before and it was a TAS, but several of my routes were already faster than it when i first watched it, so it's already kinda obsolete

i dunno where i'm going with this but i'm caught up in the post-GDQ hype and it's super fun to speedrun games and i highly recommend it to everyone

Hell yea speedruns

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So I'm working on that list of example runs for the new thread and decided to also start approaching it from the angle of considering game first and speedrun second, too, for some well-known games and such. My current list looks like this.

Would anyone say that there's anything "missing" from this list? From a game popularity perspective, the only thing I guess I don't have is a Zelda. And again let me emphasize that it's not meant to just be a list of good runs - it's meant to be a list of good introduction runs for people new to speedrunning. I've refrained from heavily glitched runs for that reason, too.

Edit: I want the list to have at most 10 runs on it and I'm going to have a similar list for TASes too, so feel free to suggest TASes as well.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 17, 2018

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

AGDQ has made me want to start speedrunning again, but I need a controller that doesn't have some hot garbage for a D-Pad, because bad D-Pads make playing Mega Man, even a casual play through, a fun sucking experience.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

KennyMan666 posted:

Would anyone say that there's anything "missing" from this list? From a game popularity perspective, the only thing I guess I don't have is a Zelda. And again let me emphasize that it's not meant to just be a list of good runs - it's meant to be a list of good introduction runs for people new to speedrunning. I've refrained from heavily glitched runs for that reason, too.

Edit: I want the list to have at most 10 runs on it and I'm going to have a similar list for TASes too, so feel free to suggest TASes as well.

Honestly Cosmo / Narcissa's 30 minute AGDQ OoT run was the first speedrun a lot of my friends saw and it hooked them. I think it deserves a spot on the list.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Suspicious Dish posted:

Honestly Cosmo / Narcissa's 30 minute AGDQ OoT run was the first speedrun a lot of my friends saw and it hooked them. I think it deserves a spot on the list.
Agreeing with this post - I would say you should definitely put a Zelda on the list, and the only two I can think of that are short and highly watchable are OoT and original LoZ. So either Narcissa's OoT run or one of lackattack's WRs if he has a commentated one, but OoT is more likely to hook people.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
you should put an awful game on the list to show that awful games can be good speedruns

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

DoubleDonut posted:

you should put an awful game on the list to show that awful games can be good speedruns

Lagoon, imo

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
One of PJs Lagoon runs is absolutely a great choice for that. I can put a link here when I get home, but the Awful Games one (2016? 2017? I forget) is a good choice.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

He already has the awful furry game on the list though.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

OoT sounds good to me, gets another 3D game on the list too. Assuming you mean the one from AGDQ 2013, so added that one. I'm not entirely averse to having a bad game on the list as well, though then it definitely needs to be a well-known game, be a fairly short run with good commentary, and be obvious that it's being played fast/skillfully. I guess the Superman 64 AGDQ run actually works for that, so maybe that should get the final spot.

Edit: And people suggested Lagoon while I was typing, but I would argue that Lagoon is too long and too obscure to be a good choice.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 17, 2018

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Catechumen might be worth at least considering for the awful game representation. That game never fails to make me smile.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Thinking about it, Superman 64 actually probably is a good choice, given how legendarily bad that game is and the AGDQ run clocked in at under 40 minutes and got SpikeVegeta on commentary. So this should be the final list, but I'm still open for arguments from people with strong opinions:

Want a list of about five TASes as well so I'm going to get to work on that.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 17, 2018

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

What kind of TASs did you want? The playarounds like International Superstar soccer deluxe and Family Feud, glitchy ACE runs like Super Mario World, or something like 1 key Super Mario 64, or even less glitches and just a superplay sort of run?

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Xenothral posted:

AGDQ has made me want to start speedrunning again, but I need a controller that doesn't have some hot garbage for a D-Pad, because bad D-Pads make playing Mega Man, even a casual play through, a fun sucking experience.

If you're looking for a USB/Bluetooth controller, iBuffalo and 8bitdo do make replica NES and SNES controllers that feel shocking close to the real thing. 8bitdo recently came out with an SNES replica that has all the standard features of a modern controller, although it feels just slightly weird since more or less keep it conformed to the SNES controller standard (triggers feel off, for instance.)

I've also heard nothing but good things about the Dpad of both the Xbox one regular and the pro controllers, if you are willing to drop probably too much cash.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Yukari posted:

What kind of TASs did you want? The playarounds like International Superstar soccer deluxe and Family Feud, glitchy ACE runs like Super Mario World, or something like 1 key Super Mario 64, or even less glitches and just a superplay sort of run?
Like the speedruns, the intention is basically to be some videos to watch as a good introduction to what TASes are and what can be done with TASes that can't really be done in regular speedruns. It shouldn't be hard to understand what's going on in the video even if you don't read the submission comments, I guess is what I'm getting at. TASBot stuff from *GDQs can definitely be included given that they have the audio commentary, but I think the "code the game into something else" stuff isn't a good choice here. Mega Man X1, X2 & X3 with one input is a good example, and is definitely going to be on the list. Family Feud, or maybe even Brain Age, could also be a good choice. TASVideos itself actually has a list like that, but there's some discussions going on at their forums right now about if some of those runs should really be on that list and if there's some runs that should be there instead.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 17, 2018

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
The 1 key SM64 run is art. Not sure if it's the best beginner run but it's art.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
If you include the family feud tas then here

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

FirstAidKite posted:

If you include the family feud tas then here

While these are fantastic, if I'm including any TAS of that kind, Brain Age is a better candidate.

My list currently looks like this, needs at the very least one more game but should probably have at least two 3D games and one *GDQ TASBot thing (maybe the recent Super Monkey Ball one), and is much less solid than the speedrun list:

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I definitely think a Brain Age GDQ one should feature. Wasn't there one that loaded the Twitch chat in?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The Lobster posted:

I definitely think a Brain Age GDQ one should feature. Wasn't there one that loaded the Twitch chat in?
I do feel that the TASBot blocks that did stuff like that were great technical demonstrations of... things (someone in one of the GDQ threads called them "art installations", which is pretty accurate), but not really good example of, well, TASes. The vast majority of TASes don't do anything even remotely like that, so it would be weird to have it on a list of good example TAS videos meant for someone pretty new to the whole thing.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

KennyMan666 posted:

While these are fantastic, if I'm including any TAS of that kind, Brain Age is a better candidate.

My list currently looks like this, needs at the very least one more game but should probably have at least two 3D games and one *GDQ TASBot thing (maybe the recent Super Monkey Ball one), and is much less solid than the speedrun list:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tafCE6GJrhQ

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

Yeah, while TASBlocks are neat, they mostly are just arbitrary code injection from what I've seen, which is entertaining, but is mostly just a showcase. Though actual TAS runs are super neat most the time.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Yoshi's Island 100% should be on the list, because of how many crazy precise egg shots they have in there, along with movement tech. That or something like the Rockman and Forte 100 CDs run, where it slowly ramps up from "no glitches" to "light wallclips" to "oh god walls don't exist at all ever".

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I just had an idea. A Peggle TAS would rule.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

^ very yes

Yukari posted:

Yoshi's Island 100% should be on the list, because of how many crazy precise egg shots they have in there, along with movement tech. That or something like the Rockman and Forte 100 CDs run, where it slowly ramps up from "no glitches" to "light wallclips" to "oh god walls don't exist at all ever".
Just like with the speedrun examples, I'm looking for videos that aren't too long - none of them should break one hour, and Yoshi's Island 100% clocks in at two. RM&F 100 CDs might be a candidate, though I already have one Mega Man on the list (and I'm pretty sure that one's staying), that one's quite different.

What I'm looking for the most right now would be good examples of TASes of 3D games. I agree that Super Mario 64 1 key is insane, but it's one of those where there's barely anything left at all of the original gameplay. If I'm including any SM64 TAS, it'll be 70 stars.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Goat Simulator TAS

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

In contrast, SM64 lets you start a file with the Start button, so in theory a 0.5 a-press full run could be possible if we could get past that loving pole.
I think SM64 has some useful properties of releasing A, too, while it sounds like DK64 doesn't.

KennyMan666 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idiHqQNDyMg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDx4KpYdykg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz1CZ5BV_88
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBxH_VmM51E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrWR5DqG4ZI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-G3I_jf7F0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNfA59m1LUs

You should probably also include a link to the Stars page too.

edit:

KennyMan666 posted:

Just like with the speedrun examples, I'm looking for videos that aren't too long - none of them should break one hour, and Yoshi's Island 100% clocks in at two.
oh, scratch cave story and yoshi then

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

gotta include that mario 3 tas that everyone thought was real back in the day.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

beep by grandpa posted:

I just had an idea. A Peggle TAS would rule.

well gently caress now i won't be complete until i find one

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

E: Wrong thread!

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

F-Zero X - Jack cup is a short, very good TAS imo. Good illustrator of how the best TASes aren't just Regular Gameplay But Optimized, and how the best speed games have systems that can be exploited in interesting/hilarious ways.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

If anyone want a game to start speedrunning, I suggest Bionic Commando (2009) for the selfish reason of wanting someone to compare to that isn't way faster than me.

Also maybe someone could figure out a way to do item flying reliably.

Reformed Pissboy posted:

F-Zero X - Jack cup is a short, very good TAS imo. Good illustrator of how the best TASes aren't just Regular Gameplay But Optimized, and how the best speed games have systems that can be exploited in interesting/hilarious ways.

This owns.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Reformed Pissboy posted:

This is great. It's only 7.5 minutes, too! If I had to pick one TAS to show to somebody it'd be either that, or this Space Quest II TAS but as far as cold intros go the F-Zero X one is probably better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The F-Zero X one is great, definitely going on the list. Anyone can figure out how a racing game is supposed to work and that that's something else entirely, and also in a manner that a human player couldn't hope to replicate. And short. Perfect example.

• Locked thread