Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hanales
Nov 3, 2013
If anyone follows Dark Souls speedruns at all...

http://www.twitch.tv/distortion2 recently found a new skip in the game (a skill he has demonstrated in every game he's speedran). So http://www.twitch.tv/kahmul78 took it to drop a full 2 minutes(!!!) off the any% record. It's now down to sub-46 minutes which is pretty intense.

Dark Souls 2 all bosses just gained a few minutes by them adding yet ANOTHER boss. They appear to hate speedrunners and want to make them suffer, causing the scene to really die out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

RoadCrewWorker posted:

or maybe like every other dev they don't know or care and design for the other 99.999998% of players instead

The Distortion skip is pretty nice though. When i saw him test it it was unreliable as hell.

There is some RNG, but they seem to have it down pretty well at this point.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

MooCowlian posted:

I haven't had the internet to watch twitch in a while, but I'm still sort of interested. What's the new skip?

If you go to demon ruins right after Quelaag, you can have a worm grab you and shoot you through the floor, directly to the centipede demon arena. This skils needing the lord vessel, firesage demon, and running back through blightown to get to bed of chaos. It's difficult though because you have to do the ceaseless skip with much lower vit than usual.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Studio posted:

I mean, I ran DS2 at release and have popped in for commentary every now and then. I will gladly take another boss (That's not Smelter Demon). It'll probably get worse, I think the DX11 update is planned to include even more bosses?

I haven't heard of more bosses, but there are definitely new NPC invaders, and rumours of another covenant called the forlorn.

And come back! Maybe it can ignite the scene a little bit. Look me up on twitch if you do, same name as here.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
So speaking of speedruns. Did you know you can now beat bloodborne in under 50 minutes? It will probably be under 40 at some point thanks to a duping glitch.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Double Bill posted:

Souls games are always run on latest version, except for special unpatched gimmick runs for *GDQ or something.

That's incorrect. DS2 any% is always ran on the last patch that had binoboosting and parrywalking available. Everything after that was pretty much ignored and continues to be. The thing that oginam did at AGDQ is referred to by the community as "rotten %".

Bloodborne is now at 1:02 for all bosses (non-chalice since is requires farming). Any% even without duping is under 35 minutes. It's pretty fun to watch atm because there are constant improvements.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Eonwe posted:

on the one hand, it dicked over Caleb so thats good

This is the only hand.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Violently Car posted:

Are you not with GDQ anymore? Maybe the lack of organization comes from the fact that it seems like a lot people who previously put on these events are no longer doing so, and the people who are still there can't pick up the slack. Maybe?

Really AGDQ is run by amateurs, and it's too large to do that now, so you see the kinds of problems that amateurs run in to. Things like, communicating too much, but not having a unified message, not having a single official area where all information is held (A forum with 1000s of posts and threads is not it.)

They still worry about the "Who is sharing rooms" thread. That stuff should not be anywhere near event planning, because it's not the organizers problem at this point. Combine that with twitter wars, and the fact that you are in general dealing with a base of people who are 1. Very young (many who have never held a job) 2. Only personally invested from an entertainment or "get my channel out there" perspective, and you end up with hordes of immature people all thinking "their thing" is the best thing.

Even having the submissions publicly viewable is a bad decision at this point. Hide all that until the schedule is done, and announce then.

Running an event that has 100s of thousands of viewers live and thousands of people on site is complicated. It's not something to throw together with a bunch of dudes and a spreadsheet in their free time. Unfortunately it needs to be treated that way. If I were them the AGDQ threads would be read only. Let people bitch on reddit, stop wasting staff time responding to "Why didn't my friend's speedrun get in" for the thousandth time and "Wah I Live in san diego so AGDQ is racist against me because it's too far" type of crap.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Dr. Stab posted:

I think that's the exact wrong approach. You want to be able to control the message, and you also want to actually address grievances. Making it so that people can't be mad on your website doesn't stop them from being mad, it just makes them be mad in a way that you can't see or address. You clearly do need a central place from which all information is disseminated, but shutting off the forums doesn't really solve that.

They've started hiring professionals for some aspects of the event, and it's worked out really well so far. I hope it will continue with them hiring a communications expert. Though, unlike with world9 or powerup audio, it's just just a discrete task that you can hand off to them and have it be done. It's something that pervades all aspects of the event planning. Though, that's not even the primary reason they need a communications expert. The real reason it to have an actual media strategy to get viewers to know about the event before it starts and not the week afterwards.

Also, the rooming thread is run by an attendee, not the staff. Same with the poker thread and the carpooling thread and all sorts of other threads like that.

No you see, they neither need, nor do they want to address grievances in real time. That's counterproductive unless they hire marketing/community managers to handle it. Most of the problems are things that can not be resolved (location, scheduling) or do not need to be resolved in a public forum (I registered but didn't receive a confirmation, he's my credit card receipt showing I paid).

Everything else can wait for some grand feedback thread, but even that could be effectively handled by a survey, because the forums are crawling with people that 1. aren't ever going to attend and 2. are just there to pile on or to troll (see the guy that registered gamesdonequick LLC).

It's a time sink, and none of the people I've seen are really capable of handling it in a professional manner.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

MrLonghair posted:

but the Bloodborne run was a waste if someone had offered to do an allbosses instead (1h16 WR).

It's too bad really. The runner wasn't actually that bad, it's just a boring, safe, non-showing off of the game in any way. All the excitement is in the boss fights and it was taken away, although the weird micolash strats were neat.

All bosses is pretty tough though, and the DLC was barely released when submissions were going on, so even knowing a route was difficult (And those are probably some of the most exciting bosses in the game, like all From DLC).

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

teh_Broseph posted:

Stare at the screen for 30 seconds, think through what to correct next time, another 30 seconds of staring at the screen sadly while questioning what you're even doing and why, then hit reset and go again. Depending on how stuff's going, also mixing in loading up savestates to practice troublesome parts.

All I want to do is get THE RUN and hit sub 1 hour, then I can put the game down and stop the madness :smith:

You should come by guy's streams like twitch.tv/kojakt . Good runners with sub 50s who don't have big followings and love to give strat advice and such. (I mention kojakt because he has a big list of SM runners in his profile).

Shabadu posted:

People here tended to hate it, but plenty of people outside of here were mesmerized as far as I could tell. Polarizing for sure, but it was new and undeniably impressive.

It was just too long for me. The novelty wore off since the music wasn't very recognizable.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Serperoth posted:

Showcases are cool, I don't think anyone minds an hour or two of Something Really Cool, If Not Technically Speedrunning. It's just that the second Tetris one had less of the WOW factor of the original (understandable, it still was pretty cool), and StepMania was visually bland, looked like buttonmashing, and it wasn't as relatable as Tetris, since most everyone's played Tetris.

:agreed: on the shmup idea, it's something that's both relatable, since most people are aware of/familiar with shmups on a base level, a great technical showcase (hitboxes, pattern details, scoring), and a display of skill.

Haven't they done some shmups and they didn't do very well?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I have a feeling if you could actually get a shmup demonstration in it would have to be Ikaruga, which is really depressing.

IIRC they showed a replay video of an Ikaruga TAS because they couldn't get the TASBot to work correctly with it.

Which is extra stupid because the game is 100% deterministic and there are enough good players at it that a TAS is basically completely irrelevant for the game.

You know I guess I'm thinking of bullet hell type games not shmups. I do remember that TAS, the console desynced due to heat I believe.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
As we were talking about TAS

http://www.twitch.tv/wildanaconda69 this guy is live working on a Super Metroid no damage TAS if you want to see how interesting/boring it is to watch live.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

What was bad about the bloodborne run, was it just boring or what

The route they used relies on

1. duping souls to level up to a stupid high level

2. skipping big chunks of the game and showing only a couple of bosses

3. the worst ending, where you "submit" to gehrman.

The only thing exciting about souls/BB runs are the boss fights, and there were very few of them. Plus the guy was very nervous and borked a few skips (he clearly didn't practice some of the stuff ahead of time).

When you take the boss fights out of BB, it's just running around in similarly coloured hallways.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Kikas posted:

It does, but most of them are only in the unpatched version, which means that 45% of the run it's just loading screens.

Yeah I forgot to mention that part, the load screens in the unpatched are so crazy terrible.

Now that all bosses is under 1:30, a safe route could be done under 1:45 so hopefully it will make it into a future GDQ. I know some of the euro guys are talking about going to ESA so that would be cool.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Studio posted:

FatB was a weaker runner unfortunately. Like his IGT PB isn't that far from my IGT PB when I was learning the run (and it's from 6 months ago).

The run is also suuuper easy to gently caress up too, but a 46:49 is pretty rough (I say as someone that's done worse at other events :v:).

He was the only one who submitted I guess. No one in the souls community had ever heard of him, and he's yet to come around any of the more popular streams to say hi or share strats or anything. Unusual to say the least. While the souls community is pretty toxic as a whole, the runners are generally cool with each other and pretty helpful, as it's not that big of a community.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Eonwe posted:

considering its for a charity i donate for every year I would personally like to have all the processes open

i dont want to read a twitter or some random lovely topic on a dumb dead speedrunning website to know bits and pieces of whats going on

it'd be cool if they just had their processes etc outlined

its not going to make or break whether i donate because i generally think the things they pick are for a good cause but I would still like it better if they outlined how things get done

Which process do you not know about that would effect your level of donations annually?

Serious question.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Eonwe posted:

i literally even said in my post it wouldn't affect anything but would be nice so i dont understand your post

That's the point. If it doesn't effect whether/how much you donate, why do you care? I'm legitimately wondering what you think they aren't transparent enough about.

On a different topic, if I were AGDQ I'd be blackballing a bunch of these rabblerousers. It's not like it doesn't sell out. There is no shortage of runners and attendees.

I'd also make it more secretive and less transparent. But that's just me.

Additionally, the whining about the charity choice is so drat tedious at this point.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Eonwe posted:

I'm the post calling for a video game charity marathon to be more secretive

I'm serious. Bring all the submissions/etc.. in house/black box it. Get rid of the big public whine fest/forums. Organize it, make rules, remove some levels of "collaboration" which don't actually exist. Remove the "personalities" at the top. All of that stuff is pointless now that it's the size it is.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
http://www.twitch.tv/dr4gonblitz a guy who sometimes holds SOTN records is doing a 12 hour "learn Super Metroid speedrun" stream. About 2 hours in and I think is going to start a run shortly.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Studio posted:

NASA seems really poorly timed. In terms of region it comes pretty close to Midwest Speedfest and SGDQ, and is only two weeks from MWSF and two months from SGDQ (I believe).

I'm not sure I understand the point of it at all. They want to promote speed running and fun?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Eonwe posted:

naegleria is doing a speedrun contest for naegleria basically

I saw him on the bonus stream one year and he was a douchey bully with trumped up opinions about speed runner status. So I will join others in not watching.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

The Silent Hulk posted:

So, the SNESSuperStars marathon is starting today at 1 PM ET, until March 20th, featuring speedruns of popular, and unpopular, SNES games. Information is available at http://snessuperstars.org/

I think it will be pretty cool, I'll actually be speedrunning On the Ball, Snow White, and the Addams Family.

I'll be tuning in for parts of this thanks for the heads up.

Although it's a little dismaying to see how much of it lines up with GDQs, both in game selection and runners. Think it's time for GDQs to expand in some way.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Eonwe posted:

calebhart is pretty close to poo poo too

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
While I appreciate what IAteYourPie is trying to say, a lot of what he says applies to most young people who are trying to be successful in a new career. I made lots of choices in my IT career early on, worked on weekends, spent my free time researching instead of partying, so I could move up the ladder faster. Now I'm more comfortable and can choose positions based on my personal needs (like having a child and mortgage).

That entire thing is written from the perspective of someone who has never really worked for a living, because everything he's saying is what every successful person in every field does at some point to become successful. There are not many "Graduate from college, work 9-4 and get paid 100K" careers out there.

On the flip side, I wouldn't encourage young people to choose to do that unless you kind of fall into it and have lots of natural on screen charisma, because there may or may not be longevity, and there isn't really a blue collar kind of space (at least with music you can be a session musician or educator).

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

wait he cheated on a speedrun lmao i didnt know that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1BBiPeDXM0

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's still kinda silly to quit out to menu for door openings.

It got so bad they made a quitout/no quitout category for Bloodborne.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Chucat posted:

As one of the three people in this topic who doesn't actually hate Naegleria at all, I can report without any prejudice that his marathon is trainwrecking rather nicely.

https://www.twitch.tv/naspeedrunnerassembly

So I joined the stream.

First thing I see.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Crotch Bat posted:

Behold, I bring you more Cyberdemon. Watch as he gets irrationally angry at his chat for no real reason over benign questions or comments.

https://oddshot.tv/shot/UzpAF3xFAF1JgITrYuziUvhH

these next 4 should be played in order

https://oddshot.tv/shot/UzpqWKZZqWJIZZUGzEJwC8nd

https://oddshot.tv/shot/UzpyeqOFyepJDJu-gqg2MR6k

https://oddshot.tv/shot/Uzqk57BSk55AGYePFhoRUxQY

https://oddshot.tv/shot/UzpSUet5SUdJxIm6c7LGvw4f

Isn't he the guy that made /r/speedrundrama and it was just a bunch of racist posts about big jon

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Boogalo posted:

This is kinda neat. Game speed comparison between consoles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btwfBW7-e2U

Interesting that the 30001 model is slowest in slow mode and fastest in fast mode.

That would make quite the difference over an 8 hour jrpg speed run

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Ranter posted:

OK. Here was my email to put this reply in context:

And I sent a second email with the link to the clip for them to reference.

Good. I would also recommend following up with a report to twitch with the clip.

FWIW I think you've done the right thing. Racist behavior is lovely, and when streamers do it the 14 year old edgelords who watch them think it's ok to do it as well, making twitch even more of a sewer than it already is.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
On a different topic, does anyone remember the terrible game ran at AGDQ that the runner contacted the company, told them they would be making fun of it, and the developer donated any sales as a result to the charity? It was an Awful Games Done Quick run, a PC game, and I believe it was a Christian development company. I wanted to rewatch that.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

zoo race and whatever the hell the other game is called

e: i think it's called zoo race. the other one had some maybe generic name

Dizz posted:

I know the Zoo Race dude did this, but I don't know if Catechumen or PrayerWarriors did that as well.

Moatman posted:

Prayer Warriors was made by the Zoo Race people so it probably was them.

Prayer Warriors was the run I was thinking of. Thanks!!!

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

i mean if any of you understood the logistics involved I'd probably be less inclined to be snooty about it but the argument basically devolved into a bunch of stream monsters not understanding why GDQ can't enforce a policy in that fashion without it being full of problems

You act like none of us have jobs that involve dealing with large groups of diverse people. No one is asking GDQ to police the speedrunning scene. They are asking for proper response when there are clear issues. GDQ is a massive, public event. Not the inner conversations of a few speedrunning dudes. You don't need to run a comprehensive background check on every person, but responding to things before problems are created would probably be a good idea for them.

Considering the only qualifications to be a speedrunner are "play a video game fast" using the "are you a speedrunner" logic really doesn't work in this situation.

Ranter posted:

What worries me the most is this trend among some posters here that seem to think if GDQ announced a policy that bigotry would not be tolerated, this would cause a logistical nightmare because the speed running scene is so choc full of it?? The racism I witnessed isn't commonplace, right? And why would it be abused? Is there animosity and hatred in the community that leads one to think this will occur?

If I responded to that childish question about what I speedrun, I'd be narrowing down the identity of the racist so I cannot share this information yet.

Anyhow, I emailed GDQ management again asking them if they would mind if I shared the clip. I was thinking about it this morning; since their policy is that of 'hear no evil see no evil take no action', they would be OK with their runners identity being shared with the community for the community to decide if it's acceptable. My main concern with this is doxxing because the more responses I read here, the more it sounds like people will be vindictive if i did.

It's not doxxing, it's a twitch broadcast.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Oh I just saw Cyberdemon was involved. Why do they even let those guys in? Note to GDQ Staff: If a runner wants Cyberdemon on his couch, you're going to have problems like this. Their lives revolve around creating drama from nothingness.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
aAhhh hahaha cyberdemon is banned as well

https://twitter.com/Cyberdemon531/status/818199017888841733

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Crotch Bat posted:

Unbeknownst to me but apparently the Dark Souls community is pure AIDS and has gotten together each time there's a GDQ run of one of their games and hosted the run on their Twitch streams for the sole purpose of grouping up and circlejerking over how bad the runner is at the game. There's no roundabout discussion of the run at all, the streams strictly exist so the streamer and his fans can make fun of whoever is running one of their precious games and doesn't meet their high standards of intensely sad and lonely nerdery when it comes to quality DS gameplay.

Wow, a group of people with the same interests got together and watched something together. At times they made fun of it. How weird is that? Also, it was most of the big DS streamers, pretty much all of the speed souls folks.

quote:

e: they made fun of the DS3 runner for having cancer :wtc:

No they really didn't. Reddit is cool though.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Crotch Bat posted:

A group of people got together specifically to make fun of the runs by DS runners including this one, the Bloodborne run, and the original DS run, you really shouldn't act like this is new ground for them. Others have long since confirmed it and also said the DS community is pure AIDS and has driven away even quality runners of the game. When Twitch bans your account just for hosting the AGDQ stream for the purpose of making GBS threads on the run it kinda says exactly what those people were doing.

This isn't a surprise to anyone that the DS community is toxic as poo poo, it's been that way basically since its inception.

Telephone, again, is funny. The guy who hosted the stream isn't banned. Another guy made an overlay after the run goofing on bubbles (nothing about cancer) and streamed dark souls. That reddit post caused drama and mass reported it so he got banned (and it was after he was done streaming for the night). Most of the souls community has been running for years, so yes, they've watched other things together. They also watch the ESA runs and goof on each other. You're making something out of nothing. Especially hilarious considering what site we are on.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

timp posted:

I think this can be cleared up pretty easily. Was Bubbles in on the joke? Is he friends with the people in the community? Or was he being made out to be an outsider by the participants of the stream?

He's at more events than anyone else, but he's certainly been in meme chats in the past. But here's him with Milt, Noobest, Santzo, (Milt is the guy who made the overlay and streamed after who is currently banned from Twitch, DS2 WR holder) That's from ESA

https://twitter.com/Milteno/status/758166046876508160 This is them at ESA.

Someone else posted a discord post of him blowing it off but I wasn't around for that. Like I said, something out of nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Crotch Bat posted:

Miltent got banned.

Also, literal words: "It's not about the run..." https://vimeo.com/199552041

Mec's chatlogs, which are typical Twitch chat AIDS, are offset by the people in said chat not being random kids but rather essentially every major DS speedrunner.

You can call it what you want but here's the long and short of it: either one guy decided to mount a crusade against an entire community of speedrunners because they made fun of his speedrun hero Bubbles OR the DS community is and always will be pure poo poo and have displayed an established pattern of douchebaggery that is notable even amongst speedrun communities and have long since earned the reputation they've been given.

There are some reasonable arguments to not liking him. Some of them took issue to what he said on stream about routes or something (which, holy poo poo, is that a big deal?)

The issue is they do this all the time(to other runners of DS games at these events), they're dickheads. None of them sign up for a GDQ run so these runs are given to runners who are less than the quality they'd like to see which is a fair argument but again, the major runners don't sign up for poo poo and the DS games are wildly popular and likely GDQ staples for the foreseeable future so they have only themselves to blame.

If you're tired of the games you play looking "bad" at GDQ then run a few lovely "I need money for GDQ" streams and get your rear end to DC and play the games yourselves, don't just sit back and laugh at a guy trying not to gently caress up in front of 200,000 people.

Since you've read the chatlogs, tell me what awful things ela, or santzo, or distortion said? It's not like there was a pile on of cancer jokes, there was one, maybe two that I thought were over the line, and those weren't said by all those "major streamers". The rest was normal you suck poo poo talking.

And Pibo basically got kicked out of half the community and has been posting salty stuff on Reddit for a year now, mostly aimed at Santzo. There's legitimate bad blood there, don't know why (don't care) but it is there. And again, most of the big runners go to ESA because they are in the EU. Noobest and Kotti came to some GDQs over the years, but they still do as much charity work as other runners. Which by the way, is not a requirement to make fun of someone choking a run because they didn't practice it enough ahead of time.

So take a few twitch monsters and define a community by it if you want to, but then you get to own everything said on SA, and I doubt you want to do that. There was even drama here deciding which GDQ thread to post in, because some people didn't want "memes" lol.

I'd personally prefer a game not to be ran than ran poorly. I said the same thing last year about FatB. GDQ isn't a random stream, it's a large event striving to be more professional every year, and telling people to kill themselves, or not preparing, or trying to be "edgy" isn't gonna cut it anymore. It's insulting to the event and the charity. Bubbles has done enough events to know what happens if you choke and fail. The white knighting because he got goofed on is strange, especially coming from this forum that shits on everyone and everything. No one from that thread made a reddit post saying he sucked. You wouldn't even know about it if it wasn't for manufacturing a drama post.

• Locked thread