Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

the way they implemented the dialogue is unlike anything else in the game. Every quest-giver NPC forces a dialogue choice as soon as you talk to them, and all of the quest NPCs lean on the "Goodbye" insta-dialogue-shutdown technique. Really sucks

And some of the writing is... off.
Early example that struck me:

Imperial cult topic "Requirements":
"Our favored attributes are Personality and Willpower. Our favored skills are Speechcraft, Unarmored, Restoration, Mysticism, Conjuration, Enchant, and Blunt Weapon. To advance a rank, you must have at least one skill -- your highest of our favored skills -- at the required primary skill level for the new rank, and at least two skills at the required favored skill level for the new rank."

vs.

Imperial legion topic "Requirements":
"The Legion selects for endurance, the soldierly virtue, and personality, the citizen's virtue, for service in the Legion is the model for the duties of Imperial citizenship. As a trooper or knight, you must master the long blade, spear, and blunt weapons. You must block whatever blows you can, and take unblocked blows upon your heavy armor. The Legion recruit must also be athletic to evade, maneuver, and charge on the field of battle."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ok, yes, that's true, lots of weird dialogue scripting in the Imperial Cult. Be prepared to careful click:

"I haven't finished the quest but I'm still working on it"

and NOT

"I want to quit this quest".

Yeah that part sucks.

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

Jack B Nimble posted:

The Imperial Cult quests are cool and good :(

I'm planning a cult character soon with a slate of paladin-flavored quest mods, so we'll see if I change my opinion!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Jack B Nimble posted:

they're like MMO newbie quests.

I might be misunderstanding you. You're saying that as though it were a good thing? :confused:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

I might be misunderstanding you. You're saying that as though it were a good thing? :confused:

Morrowind is a game that celebrates the mundane.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Eric the Mauve posted:

I meant it positively, but you're right, it's an assertion that warrants some actual defense.

They're, like was just said, mundane, safe, sort of cozy quests. They're low stakes, but they add character and context to the game world. Are the quests boring, or are they relaxing? It probably depends on what you wanted or expected when you took them. My advice is to grab the current almoner and healer quests and then just deal with them incidentally as you're traveling on other, more dramatic business, none of them are written urgently.

The Shrine Sergeant quests are specifically for when someone walks into the chapel in full plate and says "I'm a former Imperial Battle Mage turned professional tomb raider and would like to spend the weekend helping out around here". That's when the priests rub their hands together and tell you about the super dangerous mission they've been wanting help with.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'm fairly sure you can unlock the Oracle's quests just with the Almoner quests, which gets you access to some pretty gnarly equipment. You might need to double the requests, unsure.

That is, if you're just wanting to speed run the good stuff.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
IIRC the later Imperial Cult quests were added hastily to give ways to get cool items they had thought of and didn't have a way to obtain yet.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Whorelord posted:

Hlaalu are pretty much entirely for slavery. The only one who really seems to oppose it is Ilmeni Dren and she lives in a slum and would've been murdered by now if her Dad wasn't Duke. The Redoran seem to use slaves rarely if at all, but oppose abolition due to being beholden to tradition. That said, one of House Redoran's quests does involve inciting a large slave revolt in a joint Imperial/Hlaalu mine.

I really hope Tamriel Rebuilt will eventually include a joinable Twin Lamps.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I feel like the Temple and Cult should have locked you out of each other like how the great houses work. It’s like being a Catholic Priest and an Orthodox Rabbi at the same time.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

galagazombie posted:

I feel like the Temple and Cult should have locked you out of each other like how the great houses work. It’s like being a Catholic Priest and an Orthodox Rabbi at the same time.

neither care because youre paying your dues via gruntwork either way and they arent explicitly in a cold war like the houses. but yeah agreed.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I use More Exclusive Factions :)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

galagazombie posted:

All of these gods demonstrably exist and the faction leaders in a tough land like this are practical people. I know many Scottish people who are sectarian in a multitude of fascinating and contradictory ways.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, I've done runs where I was both in the Tribunal and Imperial Cult and my head canon was just that I was some sort gnostic, which I think also fits being the reincarnation of the Nereverine.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

look if being the head of every single organisation is wrong i don't wanna be right

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I can't dislike LGNPC even though the quality varies, because one of my favorite-ever characters had an extremely serendipitous experience thanks to a combination of that mod and a mod that adds various homes for rent (I couldn't tell you at gundwemer toolpoint which one). My character was poor as heck and struggling like an N'wah to get by, and scraped together enough coin through various means to afford to rent a place in some lovely Vivec canton canalworks for a month. I traipse down there, settle in - it's not great, but it's not as bad as location and price imply - and then poke around to see what else is down here - next door is a store. It's run by a khajiit. This one, specifically: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:J%27Rasha So a useful guy to live next door to but not like, world-changing. Except LGNPC fleshed him out so much. I chatted with him and picked up a minor quest he asked as a favor and I went around and did stuff and checked back in with him now and then, unlocking more dialog, learning more about him and what his deal was. There were no great stakes, he wasn't secretly Masser come down to Nirn to gently caress around, he wasn't critical to any big questlines or secretly had possession of items that could make a daedric prince weep in envy. He was just a reasonably handy guy that ran a shop next door, I did a couple of favors for him, we talked about this and that, he gave me good prices, and he just became a really good friend to my character.

:unsmith:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

look if being the head of every single organisation is wrong i don't wanna be right

One thing I always liked about Daggerfall and Morrowind is that you actually needed to know relevant skills to climb the ranks of a guild. In Oblivion or Skyrim, after completing five quests, you're the leader of the esteemed mages guild and you don't even know how to cast a lovely Firebolt.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Node posted:

One thing I always liked about Daggerfall and Morrowind is that you actually needed to know relevant skills to climb the ranks of a guild. In Oblivion or Skyrim, after completing five quests, you're the leader of the esteemed mages guild and you don't even know how to cast a lovely Firebolt.

It’s not great but Skyrim’s mages guild makes sure you can cast a basic spell (or use the Thu’um) to enter and does have an actual lesson about learning and using the shield spell. Like it could be better sure, but no you do need to know how to cast Firebolt or similar.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Getting into the nerd school because you can yell loud enough to push them around is really loving funny.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Can you pick up a sword? Cool, you're the leader of the Companions. also we're furries in disguise

PolarPear
Apr 4, 2010
Becoming arch mage without casting a single spell was the first unqualified guild master run I did in Skyrim. When I finished, I giggled at the ridiculousness of my heavy armor wearing war hammer wielding high elf being the head of one of the few places left where mages can study and learn when she has never cast a spell and didn't have XP in any magic skill.

Becoming head of the thieves guild without sneaking is just playing the quests and not getting extra rewards if you kill someone, I spiced it up by using unrelenting force the moment I loaded into a cell and as often as I could during combat.

None of this has anything to do with Morrowind but what I'm saying is everyone should do unqualified guild master runs in Skyrim, at least for the mages college because there's more depth in figuring out how to bypass everything without looking it up than most of the rest of the game.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
don't you have to at least use some kind of mage shield or can you use the artifact shield to get past that part? fuckin shameful questline.

You could tell they did the mage quests early in development too, because one of the major mage related quests gave you iirc a "legendary" +10/10/10 amulet for doing a hell slog series of dungeons and you could easily end up enchanting something roughly as good as this. If they didn't have everything fully hammered out and tuned it might seem like that would be a huge bonus. I think some of the random rear end crap loot you eventually start getting will be like +20 or whatever, so what's essentially a +30 isn't insane, even if the story is ok. They were being conservative with those numbers, right? Shoulda been some artifact item that had a weird special effect imo. And one of the amulets you get is like that but only gives you like some 2% chance of working! Those rings are loving on the ground in the middle of the hall instead of on a statue's finger.

Trying to do the war and being an actual dragonborn is bullshit, the whole thing in retrospect kinda fell flat. Doing shouts and stormcalling but it's like your also a sucky loser and not really recognized? idk whatever. Like oblivion, i read the books in morrowind and got super hyped for something that just never materialized. They even had a quest that retconned the dagger being destroyed for all time or w/e and then made it a piece of poo poo steel dagger that only instakills like 1% of the time.

PolarPear
Apr 4, 2010

SniperWoreConverse posted:

don't you have to at least use some kind of mage shield or can you use the artifact shield to get past that part? fuckin shameful questline.

The artifact shield works, you can also get one of the students killed and the quest advances past that part.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I mean. It’s not like the mage quests in morrowind ever involve you using magic

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
But you did need experience in magic skills. You didn’t need to do anything practical but you had the book learning.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It was always weird to me how the high ranks require like 90 conjuration but only like 20 intelligence

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Well skills can't be trained above their governing stat. So if your conjuration is that high, and int that low, the player has to be casting conjuration spells, but also not levelling up intelligence as a choice. But the skill competence is still there.

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

Ms Adequate posted:

heartwarming anecdote

:3: I think this is the best way to treat LGNPC. Just as an opportunity to establish a bond with one or two NPCs who have a lot to say. Exhausting the dialog options for every character is an exercise in madness.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

It was always weird to me how the high ranks require like 90 conjuration but only like 20 intelligence

in tamriel rebuilt news, i took an extremely long overground journey to Firewatch from Almas Thirr. great terrain, lots of interesting stuff to do, big contrast in benign grasslands/rocky coast/daedra-riven plains. entered a tomb and had a really hairy fight with some ghosts that damaged my stats - turns out zero luck and agility mean you get knocked over a lot! - but was able to get to a shrine to turn the tables. found a glass bow as a reward. then got to Firewatch and had my save file somehow corrupted in the bookshop. hell yeah

got a save from before the journey, but still. vexing.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

a lesser game would have had that dude telling you to gently caress off as just a bit of text

it would take morrowind to make it the most obscure loving quest imaginable to come back and own him so hard he just kinda stammers and signs off your quest

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

also his amulet loving rules and there is no reason you should ever take the 'don't kill him' route to becoming head of the guild

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

finally for the t-t-triple post i stumbled across a road called Marara road and i wanted to start digging because that ring would make my life so much easier

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I know it's not TR's fault, but I walked for fifteen real life minutes on a quest that culminated in a fight in a guildhall and the FIRST THING I said to myself was "now. Don't accidentally hit a guild member". First swing, kicked out of guild, crime reported. I hadn't saved.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

I know it's not TR's fault, but I walked for fifteen real life minutes on a quest that culminated in a fight in a guildhall and the FIRST THING I said to myself was "now. Don't accidentally hit a guild member". First swing, kicked out of guild, crime reported. I hadn't saved.

Setpccrimelevel 0
Raiserank guildname
Wait 72 hours

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

*Mouth slowly creeping into a Cheshire cat grin* skill issue

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

Jack B Nimble posted:

that's how it is on this bitch of a nirn

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I bet the argonians did this

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Jack B Nimble posted:

I’d have saved 6 times in that 15 minute walk. Never not be mashing F5.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sophisticated Save System for regular autosaves :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

I’d have saved 6 times in that 15 minute walk. Never not be mashing F5.

Early 00s Morrowind rewired my young brain to wear out the quicksave button on any game I play lol