Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

How important is it to install .Net Framework 2.0 for the steam version of Morrowind for Win7 x64? I used the link in the OP and got the file and all that, but the installer failed and said I have to use a "Turn Windows features on or off" thing in the control panel to install it.

I did a bit of googling and someone said that the framework stuff should be included in windows.

Also, which mods would be essential even if you plan on running a mostly vanilla game without graphics overhauls or view distance stuff? Is there an Unofficial Patch and/or Widescreen mod or something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Thanks, I installed both of those along with the 4GB patch, and I tried using FPS optimizer to get a proper widescreen FOV going but that program seems kinda wonky so I'll make do without it.

Skipping MGE and all that because I don't really care about old graphics, and not being able to save your game while outdoors is a huge :wtf: dealbreaker.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Yeah they might've fixed that in the recent versions, but last time I was gonna play Morrowind you were explicitly told that you couldn't save your game outdoors or use quicksave at all.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

I just noticed that the Oggu modpack in the OP is older than one I had on my drive.

From the readmes, it's Release 1 (February 28, 2010) while I've got Release 2 (April 5, 2010). Is this just an oversight or is there something wrong with the second release?

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Cool cool. I uploaded it here in case anyone wants it https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1692077/oggumsmods2.exe

I did notice it was missing leveledmagicka.esp, which can be found here, unless it was edited in some way for the modpack.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

You should just install a mod that either pacifies or outright removes cliff racers.

They really add nothing to the game except annoyance and despair.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

For some reason, I read this as "your uterus appears as an inventory slot!"

poo poo, same here. I was probably thinking about the Fallout 3 uterus harvesting mod though ...

It's like Morrowind put down the foundation for weirdo mods, and the later games perfected it.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Mizuti posted:

Got a link for the beast race equipment?

Anyways, I've grabbed Melian's Teleport Mod as a kind of substitute for fast travel. It says "To use the basic teleporting functions, just use same spells/items you normally would". As a brand-new Morrowind player, that's not very helpful. I poked around Balmora and didn't spot any teleport spells available.

They're Mark and Recall. You also have scrolls of Almsivi's Intervention and Divine Intervention which sends you to shrines and temples, and there's propylon chambers with fixed teleport spots as well though there's an item hunt involved in that.

Morrowind has plenty of fast travel options, it's just a bit more restricted than the later games but that adds to the fun of it!

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Redesigned Vivec is a must-have mod as far as I'm concerned. It's impossible to go back to those bland empty-looking pyramids after I found it.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Docetic Mountain posted:

Lookin at this picture I don't quite get how the waistworks/canals/underworks fit in. It all appears to be one level.

Never really thought about it but yeah the whole canton might be lower than it should be if you need to realistically account for the canalworks and underworks. They're still there though, via a door on the main level, and mostly unchanged as far as I can tell.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Is there some reason why Wrye Mash isn't reading the esp load order within my save games correctly?

I'm trying to troubleshoot a hosed up mod setup so I can get back to playing my game but whenever I go to the save tab to see the how things were sorted before it just shows me the current load order.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Black Pants posted:

To me, part of the 'Morrowind Experience' is having a view distance of a few feet, but I'm weird like that.

I always felt that no-fog mods and stuff like that breaks my immersion by showing plainly how super tiny Morrowind actually.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Krowley posted:

Is there some reason why Wrye Mash isn't reading the esp load order within my save games correctly?

I'm trying to troubleshoot a hosed up mod setup so I can get back to playing my game but whenever I go to the save tab to see the how things were sorted before it just shows me the current load order.

Got a bit of an update for this. I still don't know why Wrye Mash wouldn't restore my original load order from my saved lists. Re-running MLOX wasn't very useful either.

Anyway, I opened up my savegame in notepad and found my load order in there, hidden inbetween weird computer symbols. Then I just cleaned it up in a separate notepad file and manually adjusted stuff after that.

Now my save files are purple again, which apparently indicates perfect sync.

The game still crashes on start though (it did this for another new game i started too), so I might still need a re-install and re-build of my mod setup.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

So, does anyone have any tips on how to rescue a savegame?

I rebuilt my mod setup and everything should be exactly the same as when I last played it back in December but all my saves for that character (going back into November) is crashing on load no matter what I do.

The Wrye Mash repair all thing didn't do much for me.

Here's my load order if anyone wanna look. I also installed the Code Patch and 4GB patch along with some texture replacers. No graphical mods.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Is Morrowind Script Extender 0.9.4a just not compatible with the Steam version or something?

I've been troubleshooting all night and MWSE has to be what's causing problems, even though it worked fine a couple of months ago when I started playing.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Mortimer posted:

!You don't need MWSE if you have MGEXE!

It's built into it.

Tried that too. Same deal.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Mortimer posted:

I don't understand the problem you've having. How do you know it's MWSE related?

Because things work when I don't use it. I've disabled every esp and rolled back all exe changes, but the only thing that makes any difference is not launching with MWSE.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Yeah I'm aware of that. I re-installed my game and the only thing in my folder is MGEXE. Still crashes when the internal MWSE is enabled, doesn't when it's not.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Mortimer posted:

Do you have any mods that require MWSE

Enough to drown in error messages if I try loading saves without MWSE enabled.

EDIT: I actually might've fixed it by digging up an old beta revision to MGE found here: mge3.8.2-rev.0178.7z

It's MGE not MGEXE, though I have no idea what the distinction is but I managed to load up my save without error, in any case :woop:

Krowley fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 17, 2014

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Derek Dominoe posted:

[*]I'm going with a mage. It sounds like Altmer is the best for min/maxing purposes, but how much will that affect the story? Does picking a Dunmer give you more dialogue or anything?
[*]The Astronach birthsign is intriguing...particularly for the resistance. Is it a total pain for a first time playthrough or is it easy enough to make/buy sufficient potions?

As someone said earlier in the thread, Altmer isn't the best newbie race since the weaknesses to magicka and elements means you're gonna get hosed over every time you meet an enemy mage until you've played enough to get proper defensive items.

The Atronach birthsign is pretty good. I use it for my Nightblade and the absorption has saved my butt several times, but I also use Leveled Magicka, the Mana Recharge Enchantment mod, and playing as a vampire (with mods, so I'm eating people to gain magicka and health) to soften the drawbacks of Stunted Magicka.

It's probably still gonna be tough at first though, but magicka potions aren't all that rare.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Moryrie posted:

I had this problem too, and it persisted for months, and no one could help me. Asked in multiple areas, got people thinking I was an idiot, or trying to run MSWE and MGEXE together or variations on that because apparently "I crash if I run the newest version of MSWE, or any version of MGEXE" isn't simple enough to understand. I finally tried changing the DEP settings for Morrowind and that fixed it.

Yeah it seems like a pretty obscure error. I've been using MWSE and variations of it in all Bethesda games for like a decade and this is the first time I've had that happen.

Cheers for the DEP settings tip. I eventually fixed the error by using this fucker instead of any of the regular script extending applications.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Oggumogoggum posted:

Here it is:

Chocolate Pack 0.5 for Morrowind

I assume it's not gonna play nice with ongoing games so I probably won't be able to test it out for some time, but the previous mod packs were excellent starting points for my own mod setups so I can definitely endorse this.

Thanks for putting in the effort!

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Wow, I guess I accidentally made a really good decision when I decided to drop LGNPC for compatibility reasons.

It was mostly dialogue conflicts and I'm sure I could've Mashed everything together just fine but I wanted my setup to be as neat as possible.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

The Colonel posted:

Yeah, I loaded up the CK and managed to find the Quest ID and quest stage. Thanks for the advice! Hopefully after I tie up these loose ends with the assassins by fireballing them all to death, I'll be done with the mod. I'm pretty sure I managed to get the best possible outcome out of every decision in this mod, actually, unless destroying the Mages Guild was an unnecessary decision that didn't actually help me in the long run, which I have a sneaking suspicion is true.

Nah, the Mages Guild still shows up in Oblivion no matter what you do.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

It does, but that doesn't stop other people's decisions from also being canon.

(this post is canon)

CHIM means everything is canon :tipshat:

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Stuporstar posted:

IMO they should have left it alone, because now someone who actually wants to fix it properly by adding the option has to deal with their pointless "fix" on top of the original game. Is overwriting their change simple? I don't know, because all my modding experience is with Morrowind.

Wouldn't that be as easy as just loading the .esp with that change later in the load order? The unofficial patches all go at the top anyway.

Beware though, it might bring about the Wrath of Arthmoor upon you. Wouldn't want a Keygate on our hands!

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Hog Butcher posted:

I have a fresh install of Morrowind waiting for Chocolate Pack 1.0. :woof:

Chocolate is poisonous to dogs :woof:

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Oggumogoggum posted:

Great to hear! I hope version 1.0 does not disappoint. I'm moving as fast as I can to get something that works well and fixes the issues in 0.5. Unfortunately I also have 3 jobs and school. :(

(the bonus is that 3 jobs will let me buy a new, more Morrowind-capable PC in a few months)

I think your employers are bungling up your paychecks, man

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Oggumogoggum posted:

How do people feel about font replacements? Is this something I should spend time on?

I like this one from the OP with the higher-res vanilla font

http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/36873/

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Disco Infiva posted:

This is very annoying.

Start Morrowind launcher and open data files. When you click on a plugin it will show you its dependencies (Morrowind.esm and/or Tribunal.esm and/or Bloodmoon.esm) in upper right corner. If a dependency is shown in all caps (like MORROWIND.ESM) that means that the version is different than it was supposed to be. It will also give you an error log in the summary section of data files window, like this:

code:
Morrowind.esm is required for this file to be loaded, and it has changed since this file was last saved.
You might experience problems with the game.
You'll just need to open Construction Set, load the offending plugin and it's dependencies and then save it. It should clear the version problems and stop the annoying message. "Should" because I haven't done this in years so I could be wrong.

I think it's easier/safer to fix stuff like this in Wrye Mash. You select the mod in question, click on the masters to update them, and hit save.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Have fun manually cross-checking filenames when the game breaks and you have to clean up.

Or just use the Installer function in Wrye Bash.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Jabarto posted:

Yeah, I'm not about to defend everything Galsiah did. I get wanting to keep characters from being omnipotent, but it really hurts classes with only 2 or 3 magic skills like the Crusader because your magicka never really gets high enough to make it work.

That sounds really dumb and shortsighted, since hybrid classes is kinda big thing in the elder scrolls games.

I just used that L-something Leveling Mod for my previous Morrowind run. Gives you full the full +5 bonus (optionally lower) at level up if you increase a skill just a single point. It keeps the basic system in place, which is nice since I prefer light mod setups these days, but removes the need to game it.

Might be considered OP but if you worried about combat balance you shouldn't play Morrowind in the first place.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

I bet all my bitcoins and cs:go skins that it was yet another case of nerd drama queens making GBS threads on everything

Arthmoor isn't connected to this in some way, is he? Because that would explain everything

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Entropy238 posted:

I've never made a mod before so what would be the best way of planning such a project?

Make a house or a dungeon or something instead

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Robot Randy posted:

Even on a shitbox like mine you can get it running pretty smoothly and have it looking darn good to boot

This is with the watercolor retexture on top of MGSO

Doesn't matter how many texture mods or shaders or de-foggers you force into this 15 year old game, if you don't use Redesigned Vivec it still looks like poo poo

http://mw.modhistory.com/download-87-14633

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Using jump spells for short/medium distance travel is way more fun though

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Stuporstar posted:

sponge-on-a-stick.

Required mods: Better Bodies - Morbid Obesity Overhaul Project (MOOP)

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I don't know why everyone hate's morrowind's combat so much. Every attempt to make elder scrolls combat more actiony just turns it into a bland not-a-shooter instead of an RPG.

Because it's more "cinematic" I guess? No TES games can be said to have anything more than utterly mediocre combat, which is why everyone plays stealth archers, the least horrible option.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Was msgo the mod where you at one point couldn't save your game in an external cell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008