Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

aeglus posted:

Not exactly the same thing but I'd guess it actually is what you're thinking of (automatically equips your best or last used shield when your weapon is out or casting a spell):
http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=mods.detail&id=3926

Also recommend this one for people that want the same thing with a helmet:
http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=mods.detail&id=5171

Yes, this is it, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
So I installed the Morrowind Overhaul and then Tamriel Rebuilt, game runs smoothly except for one bug. Out of nowhere I stopped being able to attack or cast spells, except occasionally. My mouse is working fine (I can easily click on new spells/tabs in game) but 90% of my clicks don't register when casting a spell or swinging a sword. :(

edit: Turns out there's a checkbox for daggerfall style combat, where you click and drag the mouse to attack or cast, and it somehow was enabled. :/

Bright Future fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 17, 2014

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Has no one made a full-helms alternatives mod for beast races? I've been poking around and can't seem to find one.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

The Protagonist posted:

Has no one made a full-helms alternatives mod for beast races? I've been poking around and can't seem to find one.

Doesn't seem to be any, no. I've looked as well (argonian supremacy) and come up with nothing.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Mortimer posted:

Oh god I had that error for the longest time, it's a fairly common thing but I can't remember what I searched for to find the answer. I know a complete reinstall I did years later fixed it, but I think I did a fake borderless windowed thing.

I just reinstalled everything, and I mean -everything.- It was a bitch-and-a-half. Still have that issue with there being a border and everything. What's going on?

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Is Morrowind Script Extender 0.9.4a just not compatible with the Steam version or something?

I've been troubleshooting all night and MWSE has to be what's causing problems, even though it worked fine a couple of months ago when I started playing.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
Between work and other stuff, I've managed to follow the guide in the OP: changed Steam directories, installed MGSO, patched the exe to work with distant lands, etc. I'm almost ready to go!

One technical question and then some gameplay questions.

• Do the mod managers in the OP play nice with the MGSO I just installed?
  • Is there any place that lists exactly what the BTB mod does? All of the sites I've searched basically say "too much to list". If it fixes a lot of annoying features/bugs I'm interested. If it's just there to make things "balanced" or "realistic" I'll pass.
  • Along those lines...any mods that are "essential" to a first run? Other than the graphics overhaul, I was considering the faster running mod.
  • I'm going with a mage. It sounds like Altmer is the best for min/maxing purposes, but how much will that affect the story? Does picking a Dunmer give you more dialogue or anything?
  • The Astronach birthsign is intriguing...particularly for the resistance. Is it a total pain for a first time playthrough or is it easy enough to make/buy sufficient potions?
  • What's generally the best approach to this game? In most RPGs, whenever I get to a town I explore every nook and cranny and find every little subquest and complete them before moving on to the next town. From my aborted first attempt to play this game, that didn't necessarily seem like the most effective way to go about things as even simple sidequests weren't afraid to lead you halfway across the map. Is it preferable to stick more to a guild or house's quests until they get too tough? How do you Morrowind?
  • I'm having a bit of trouble comprehending the leveling system and how to choose/use skills to effectively level. Any good guides or should I use that simple leveling mod (or will that gimp my character in the long haul)?
  • Finally, any "Don't do/choose ______ or you will lock yourself out of really cool plotlines/quests/etc"?

Thanks for all the help. Looking forward to getting started!

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
1) I'm pretty sure MGSO installs Mlox and Wyre Mash for you. If it doesn't, I have no idea how Wyre Mash is on my fresh install of Morrowind.
2) I don't use BTB, so not sure.
3) I use GCD (Galsiah's Character Development) to get rid of the min-maxing parts of levelling up; attributes just gradually increase from raising the associated skills and you level automatically.
4) As far as I can recall, it doesn't affect any dialogue. You're still considered a dirty foreigner even if you play a dunmer. I've never found the increased magicka of Altmer to be worth the weakness to elemental effects, but ymmv.
5) I love the Atronach sign. You regain magicka from absorbing spells, and it saves your rear end a lot early in the game when spells can be devastating. You'll find restore magicka potions in loot or for free in the Mage's Guild member chest if you join; I've never had a problem keeping my reserves up.
6) I vary from playthrough to playthrough. My characters are all distinct individuals with different skills and motivations, one of my dudes was a elf-hating Imperial that avoided native methods of travel (ie Silt Strider) and only played factions from outside Morrowind (Legion, Nine Divines, Guilds). He spent most of his time on the coast in Empire-ran areas or doing quests for the factions. Newest guy is a Dunmer warrior-mage that is in House Telvanni and the Mage's Guild, and I spend most of my time just exploring the Ashlands and eastern Vvardenfell.
7) See 3. You'll be powerful enough to take down all but a few things in the game well before you're max level either in vanilla or with GCD. You'll be rolling in gold after a while so you can always just pay to train skills in which you want to raise it's associated attribute, which really isn't any different than vanilla.
8) There are mostly just faction restrictions. You can only join one of two religions and one of three great houses. There are conflicts between the Thieves Guild and Fighter's Guild, but you can join/remain in both if certain quests are done in the correct order. Unlike Oblivion and Skyrim, you can kill any NPC in the game, including ones essential to the main plot, but it will tell you so afterward. There's also a backdoor way to finish the main quest if you decide to keep playing after killing an essential character.

Preem Palver fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 17, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Derek Dominoe posted:

[*]Is there any place that lists exactly what the BTB mod does? All of the sites I've searched basically say "too much to list". If it fixes a lot of annoying features/bugs I'm interested. If it's just there to make things "balanced" or "realistic" I'll pass.

Honestly, the easiest thing to do would be to download the mod (it's really tiny) and read the attached readmes, because a lot of stuff is changed. He goes into great depth to explain everything if you have the time to thumb through the text files.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Krowley posted:

Is Morrowind Script Extender 0.9.4a just not compatible with the Steam version or something?

I've been troubleshooting all night and MWSE has to be what's causing problems, even though it worked fine a couple of months ago when I started playing.

!You don't need MWSE if you have MGEXE!

It's built into it.

Just play the game without trying to mod it like crazy, there's no real way to mess up other than wonton murder, and even then there's a way around THAT too.
Like holy crap man, you're overthinking this.

mbt fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 17, 2014

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Mortimer posted:

It's built into it.

Tried that too. Same deal.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Krowley posted:

Tried that too. Same deal.

I don't understand the problem you've having. How do you know it's MWSE related?

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Mortimer posted:

I don't understand the problem you've having. How do you know it's MWSE related?

Because things work when I don't use it. I've disabled every esp and rolled back all exe changes, but the only thing that makes any difference is not launching with MWSE.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Mortimer posted:

Just play the game without trying to mod it like crazy, there's no real way to mess up other than wonton murder, and even then there's a way around THAT too.
Like holy crap man, you're overthinking this.

I'm just trying to put in basic fixes to otherwise frustrating gameplay (e.g. slow running).

These days, I typically get a single playthrough of an RPG (probably my favorite genre except perhaps the nigh-extinct space fighters of yore), and later this year I will be starting a new position where I may not be playing much of anything, so I want to get as much as I can out of it with a little prep.

Edit: Anyway, I think I'm ready to go. Thanks for all the help!

Sax Offender fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 17, 2014

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Krowley posted:

Because things work when I don't use it. I've disabled every esp and rolled back all exe changes, but the only thing that makes any difference is not launching with MWSE.

If you have MGEXE you don't need to do anything. You run MGE once, then never touch it again. It autoloads MWSE. You shouldn't be launching with anything besides the morrowind executable.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yeah, MWSE is built into MGEXE, so by launching WITH MWSE you're just layering two versions over simultaneously which is creating your issues. Just launch with the default Morrowind executable and you should be set, MGEXE loads up automatically. Make sure you disable the Steam overlay, too, that causes issues.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Yeah I'm aware of that. I re-installed my game and the only thing in my folder is MGEXE. Still crashes when the internal MWSE is enabled, doesn't when it's not.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Krowley posted:

Yeah I'm aware of that. I re-installed my game and the only thing in my folder is MGEXE. Still crashes when the internal MWSE is enabled, doesn't when it's not.

Do you have any mods that require MWSE

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Mortimer posted:

Do you have any mods that require MWSE

Enough to drown in error messages if I try loading saves without MWSE enabled.

EDIT: I actually might've fixed it by digging up an old beta revision to MGE found here: mge3.8.2-rev.0178.7z

It's MGE not MGEXE, though I have no idea what the distinction is but I managed to load up my save without error, in any case :woop:

Krowley fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 17, 2014

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

Why is MGSO giving me so much trouble. I start a new game and jiub's ears and everything except the boots, greaves, and torso piece of the first guard are black. There's still a border around my game. What am I doing wrong?

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Uh quick question. I am used to installing Morrowind and expansions off discs but I recently bought the Steam version and I am running into a bunch of weird poo poo. I have the steam version installed to a separate steam library, named Steam, on a separate hard drive. I followed all of the steps in the OP to the letter and the game, along with my chosen mods and MGE configurations, runs fine. However, the only way I can get it to run is if I load it through Steam. If I click on the executable in the morrowind directory (with steam running) the game crashes with "Steam Error 5" or some poo poo like that. Is this normal? The game seems to work just fine but I have to admit I'm kinda worried that something's wrong.

^ MGSO often doesn't play nice unless you set the morrowind.exe, morrowindlauncher.exe and MGE.exe (or whatever it's called for your version, I can't remember) to run as admin.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Quantumfate posted:

Why is MGSO giving me so much trouble. I start a new game and jiub's ears and everything except the boots, greaves, and torso piece of the first guard are black. There's still a border around my game. What am I doing wrong?

Are you running anything else? Did you do MGSO on an already modded out install?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Derek Dominoe posted:

• Along those lines...any mods that are "essential" to a first run? Other than the graphics overhaul, I was considering the faster running mod.
  • I'm going with a mage. It sounds like Altmer is the best for min/maxing purposes, but how much will that affect the story? Does picking a Dunmer give you more dialogue or anything?
  • The Astronach birthsign is intriguing...particularly for the resistance. Is it a total pain for a first time playthrough or is it easy enough to make/buy sufficient potions?
  • What's generally the best approach to this game? In most RPGs, whenever I get to a town I explore every nook and cranny and find every little subquest and complete them before moving on to the next town. From my aborted first attempt to play this game, that didn't necessarily seem like the most effective way to go about things as even simple sidequests weren't afraid to lead you halfway across the map. Is it preferable to stick more to a guild or house's quests until they get too tough? How do you Morrowind?
  • I'm having a bit of trouble comprehending the leveling system and how to choose/use skills to effectively level. Any good guides or should I use that simple leveling mod (or will that gimp my character in the long haul)?
  • Finally, any "Don't do/choose ______ or you will lock yourself out of really cool plotlines/quests/etc"?

Thanks for all the help. Looking forward to getting started!

I like Breton for mage just because all those weaknesses on the Altmer seem not worth it, especially if you're going Atronach. Speaking of atronach, in addition to the stuff everyone else said shrines will also refill your magic and they're everywhere, even in tombs. Join the temple and do the first quest, maybe one more and they'll be free forever. Sadly MW took a step back from Deaggerfall where mages in factions you'd joined would top off your magic when you talked to them.

As for playstyle, exploring every nook is fun and often rewarding, but trying to do a whole town at once is going to be tricky since some quest will send you somewhere way out of the way and you'll get distracted poking into nooks and crannies along the way there, on the way back, and probably forget to turn in the quest. Don't worry about leveling, you're not going to gimp yourself, you can min/max if you want to by training misc skills in the stat you want to get a bonus in, but there's not going to be some kind of huge jump in difficulty once you hit an arbitrary level.

Join Telvanni.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Berke Negri posted:

Are you running anything else? Did you do MGSO on an already modded out install?

On a fresh steam install. Do you mean other programs like steam?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Wait you can only join one religion not both? Good thing I picked the one that had fortify skill as a learnable spell.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

cheesetriangles posted:

Wait you can only join one religion not both? Good thing I picked the one that had fortify skill as a learnable spell.

You can join both the Cult and Temple. The Cult has a poo poo quest line though.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Feb 17, 2014

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Cannot Find Server posted:

You can join both the Cult and Temple. The Cult has a poo poo quest like though.

Cult is 100% lore exploration with 90% poo poo quests 5% decent quests and 5% great quests. IIRC the high-level quests have pretty cool loot.

The factions that are exclusive are the 3 Great Houses. You can only join one of them and Telvanni>>Hlaalu>Redoran.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Don't really need loot at this point. Mostly just interested in seeing content. I gave into the temptation of alchemy and gear doesn't really matter at that point.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

Don't really need loot at this point. Mostly just interested in seeing content. I gave into the temptation of alchemy and gear doesn't really matter at that point.

Let's be honest, no one cares about using the loot. It's all about having more cool stuff to decorate your stronghold with. :gay:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Mortimer posted:

Zero way, and that's part of the reason they're taking a while. Despite cracking some of the exe's formulas they refused to use any original bethesda code and went with their own solutions for equal functionality.

It's still an unlicensed derivative work.

I mean, it's an awesome project, and it can only sell more copies of the game, and there would be a very strong case for a fair use defense, but none of that would actually prevent the copyright holders from suing them.

Thank god Morrowind didn't ship with DRM, or they would also be in violation of the DMCA.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

As long as you're not selling it, or porting actual assets from one game to the other are the rules more or less. Morroblivion ran afoul of the latter I think which is why it can only be hosted on its own site and even then Bethesda has let them do their own thing.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
To be specific, Morroblivion had problems because licensing issues with certain assets used in Morrowind didn't allow Bethesda to officially endorse it. Technically there is pretty much nothing illegal with Morroblivion itself- it won't run without a valid Morrowind installation, and what you do with the files you legally own on your own computer is your own business short of violating their rights. The issue was allowing that Bethsda allowing discussion on their official forums about how to transfer files from one Bethesda game to another Bethesda game could be seen as an endorsement of it, which was a legal area they weren't keen to test.

Bethesda's a pretty good defender of their modding community, though. There was an incident a few years ago where some modeler was taking credit for modder works on a third-party site, the modders informed Bethesda and Bethesda got their legal team involved on behalf of them.

Hyphen-B
Nov 28, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Apparently MGSO adds little weed leaf particles to the ash storms.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

So, I managed to get it to start up. It's still stuck with the window border though. There's also an FPS counter, despite my having disabled it with the MGEgui that MGSO installed. I don't have the weird black texture issue anymore, that I've seen so far. Anyone have any clue what I messed up that's keeping it from running right? Is it a resolution thing?

EDIT: ^^^^^ :2bong:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Gobblecoque posted:

Let's be honest, no one cares about using the loot. It's all about having more cool stuff to decorate your stronghold with. :gay:

That's the true MW end game and everyone in this thread knows it.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

SuitDude posted:

Apparently MGSO adds little weed leaf particles to the ash storms.

Those leaves can show up everywhere, not just in the ash storm. They are pretty cool though.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Well I guess my problem isn't MGSO or anything, but morrowind itself. Working with plain unmodded morrowind I have that window border problem. Maybe it's a windows 8.1 or steam thing.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

I've run into a new error, missing textures for glass and daedric armor this time. One specifically is tx_w_crystal_blade_glow.dds which is clearly the little spurs that come off the boots and shoulders.

Removing the offending texture file thats there didn't help this time, or should I remove it and the .nif it goes to?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Quantumfate posted:

Well I guess my problem isn't MGSO or anything, but morrowind itself. Working with plain unmodded morrowind I have that window border problem. Maybe it's a windows 8.1 or steam thing.

try running it in full windowed mode and try one of these solutions:
http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Borderless_fullscreen_windowed

maybe it'll work?

The Protagonist posted:

I've run into a new error, missing textures for glass and daedric armor this time. One specifically is tx_w_crystal_blade_glow.dds which is clearly the little spurs that come off the boots and shoulders.

Removing the offending texture file thats there didn't help this time, or should I remove it and the .nif it goes to?
You DO have the unofficial MGSO patch listed in the OP right?
http://download.fliggerty.com/download--726

Doc Hawkins posted:

It's still an unlicensed derivative work.

All I know is it's brought up on their forums every other week and they say they've investigated the legal issues and they're in the clear. Not to mention it's open source and 10000+ people have the code at this point, Bethesda probably doesn't want to waste the manpower and look bad publicly after that whole Scrolls debacle.

mbt fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Mortimer posted:

You DO have the unofficial MGSO patch listed in the OP right?
http://download.fliggerty.com/download--726

Oh geeze. :ohdear: So when it says to reinstall MGSO options, is that just like the cosmetic trees around balmora and stuff? Or the whole drat walkthrough wizard from scratch?

Also I've run into one weird rotating half-door in Suran, how necessary is that to go pluck out?