Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I started playing this for the first time on the weekend, Steam version. Played around a bit, and then modded it with only the MGSO overhaul. Besides from erasing my character's map, I notice that I don't get a stat breakdown when I hover over my character level progress any more. Vanilla it would tell me how many skills I've levelled in Strength, Intelligence, etc. In the overhauled version I only get the X/10 level progress.

Is this something easy to get back? I couldn't find anything on google but I probably didn't use the right terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Jay Rust posted:

Vanilla never had that stat breakdown, it’s a feature unlocked by the Code Patch

Oh you're right. I guess I ran the code patcher initially when I was messing around. Updated the code patch utility and everything is working again.

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with the MGSO? I'm not too far in so if it's too problematic I can still go back and use something else.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Upmarket Mango posted:

For those with Oblivion installed, how do you launch the Steam version of the game with OBSE using Mod Organizer 2?

It took a ton of Google, but I had to add an executable entry into the MO2 list:

Title - Steam Oblivion
Binary - C:\Steam\Steam.exe - <obviously change this to you Steam executable>
Start in - <blank>
Arguments - -applaunch 22330

This is Steam's internal identifier for Oblivion, so it'll launch Oblivion with OBSE through the steam launcher. There might have been some other step I had to do but this was part of it. I can't quite remember what else if anything though.

edit: I think I also had to -
Click the gear/wrench (configure settings) in MO2
Go to the Workarounds tab
Make sure the steam app is 22330
Change the Load Mechanism to Script Extender
I also had to click the Back-date BSAs for the load order to work properly. You may or may not.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 19, 2019

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

raminasi posted:

I just saw this Skywind gameplay video, I think it’s new: https://youtu.be/O85xF9lzgTg Looks pretty slick.

That spear combat was looking pretty good. Not like reskinned axes or swords like they usually are.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Sikreci posted:

The age of remakes is over, the time of the demake has come.

Time to announce my Morrowrim project - Skyrim redone in the Morrowind engine.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Balmora. The quest relevance is obviously part of it, and I like the accessibility of guilds and vendors, but aesthetically I like how it's tiered on each side of the river.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
There's no reason to not go for the new special edition, unless you're really into some weird esoteric mod that might not have been ported or an equivalent made.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

General Ledger posted:

How does the overall experience compare? It was a AAA title in its day but how would you contrast it to the depth of the morrowind experience ?

Sadly I dont have the unlimited time to play games anymore. A lot of my fondness for morrowind stems from the carefree time in my life when I had the time to enjoy it.

The experience is way different. Skyrim is a decent action game/dungeon crawler with light role playing and an elder scrolls backdrop. It's a mile wide but inches deep, and I say this as someone with 1500 hours of Skyrim, and consistently go back to the game.

I played Morrowind the first time about a year ago and loved it, and am casually going through another play through now, but the games are so different they may as well be other genres.

If you try to go into Skyrim with a Morrowind mindset - breaking the game with alchemy et. al., finding hidden ebony gear at level 1, thoughtful dialogue and story, etc., you'll be disappointed.

For my money, Skyrim is still incredibly atmospheric and fun to explore, allows for a multitude of character builds, and has some nice set pieces. And punting people off mountains never gets old.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 6, 2020

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Probably Legacy of the Dragonborn: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/11802

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Never even played with Alchemy in my first game, as a melee heavy character. Shops and the fighter's guild kept me going.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Skwirl posted:

It is funny how often we talk about alchemy or magic breaking the game in half but you can always just stab poo poo to death and beat the game pretty easily.

Yeah. I just went with their standard Barbarian class it gave me from the personality test. Seemed reasonable.

Didn't mess around with Alchemy or Enchanting. Used only a handful of utility spells that my idiot character could handle. I still loved every minute of it. I'd carry a collection of magic items I found in my travels for things like water walk or levitation, as well as a variety of combat buffs. I'd deliberately hunt for high value contraband just so I could sell it to keep potions and scrolls flowing. It was actually a nice change, because I don't bother with consumables or mercantile efforts in other games, because it's generally not worth the hassle.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Bottom level is a cart on the border to Skyrim.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I went full fight man (barbarian class) in my first playthrough and it went great. I’d need to keep a stock of potions and magical items on me to deal with various situations, but I had more carry weight than god so it didn’t matter.

It never felt like I was playing wrong or anything, but felt more like an adventurer keeping a variety of useful magic items that did more than simple stat bonuses.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The few times I've been strong enough to check out Tribunal or Bloodmoon also coincided with the times I wanted to try out another character build.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
You gotta sleep in armour as the Nerevarine because you have dark brotherhood assholes busting down your door to kill you every night as soon as you get to Balmora.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Lay down your weapon. It is not too late for some Arby's.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Vanilla Morrowind has the best combat in any elder scrolls game. Oblivion has the worst.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've never went out to use the special merchants, so I just keep a giant pile of glass+ weapons and armor littered around the floor in my found Balmora house.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

If you're playing vanilla you should absolutely play openmw because it is vastly more stable

After running the code patch and MGE, I can remember a single crash in my couple hundred hours of playtime.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
That seems cool as hell.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Vivec city is something Vivec would have designed, as a joke.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Ashfall is MWSE and that's enough for me.

Honestly once I've set up MCP, the steam version has always been rock solid for me. Moving to openMW wouldn't really do much for me.

Tamriel Rebuilt has cities, quests, factions - the whole gamut.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
There isn't an animation made that's better than the default argonian stride.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Cantorsdust posted:

Do it. If you’re using Mod Organizer adding and removing it is just a few clicks. Make a hard save, add it, and just see. At worse you’re out 15 minutes of work.

And if you're not using Mod Organizer, you can for just TR. It will identify your modlist as locally installed plugins and you can still add the TR stuff on top of them, taking advantage of the virtual directory.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Jay Rust posted:

i think each of the houses are open slavers?

I'm not sure about Redoran, but I was under the impression that Hlaalu was for slavery because it was profitable. And also for abolition because that's also profitable.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
But you did need experience in magic skills. You didn’t need to do anything practical but you had the book learning.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Well skills can't be trained above their governing stat. So if your conjuration is that high, and int that low, the player has to be casting conjuration spells, but also not levelling up intelligence as a choice. But the skill competence is still there.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
That was a good writeup. I only played Morrowind a few years ago and I can echo the sentiments. It's really a magically game, and even playing it so long after its release it plays well, and still is such a unique experience. You can see the rough edges and the parts that were rushed, but overall it was an amazing game for the time and definitely withstood the test of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Just play the game straight. Use OpenMorrowind, easy option, or the Morrowind Code patch + Graphics extender, slightly less easy option.