Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Theres a good kernel there with "One Big town over one Big Dungeon" that I really want them to try again and get right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
When talking about the structures themselves the Telvanni stronghold blows the others out of the water. It’s got so much more space and utilities. You get your own little mini-town with high end services and a gargantuan amount of display space. Even has a perma-corpse for infinite storage. It’s only real downside is location. Unless you use a mod you’re practically required to go through the Berne Vampire clan quest line if you ever want to use your mark&recall for anything else ever again. The Hlallu Stronghold is teeny and has no useful services except Vvardenfells only NPC follower (who is kinda meh) but it’s literally part of Hla Oad and right next to Balmora. So you’re always connected to civilization and fast travel. The Redoran stronghold is in the middle. Both in size and distance from civilization. It’s got some good services and better merchants than Hlallu.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Real Morrowind Pro’s command the talking mudcrab merchant to their home of choice. I once got him all the way to Rethan Manor with copious fortify on target spells.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Morrowind is just one of those games where it feels like it was designed to be played by a certain kind of class and all the other options were afterthoughts. There’s just too much non optional stuff that requires some degree of magic ability and such an abundance of obstacles that need magic to overcome, to not play at least a part mage. Sure you can succeed going full fight man or full sneak man, but it feels very clumsy and inefficient (and not inefficient in the “I’m compelled to create the optimal stat alignment!” nerd way either).
Skyrim is similar in that it really feels like you’re supposed to be playing a warrior. Where even though stealth archer is miles away better, it feels like it is because they didn’t build the game around you using it.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I went full fight man (barbarian class) in my first playthrough and it went great. I’d need to keep a stock of potions and magical items on me to deal with various situations, but I had more carry weight than god so it didn’t matter.

It never felt like I was playing wrong or anything, but felt more like an adventurer keeping a variety of useful magic items that did more than simple stat bonuses.

Oh I wasn’t saying they didn’t make sure Conan types could do everything, but you always have to go through this extra layer of rigamarole to do it. It’s even worse with stealth characters (like my first “real” character) since literally every thing they specialize in is an inferior version of a magic skill. Warriors at least got inherent stats for buffness (like, as you said, carry weight) that a mage theoretically doesn’t have.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I would always fit 0 points of slowfall on one of my constant effect items with leftover charge points since it makes you immune to fall damage without actually having to be inconvenienced by slowfall. It’s wonderfully fun and convenient to just plummet from the top of Vivec to the ground floor with no care.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Lawman 0 posted:

How did you do that lol?

The “buff max health” effect rounds percentages so that when it wears off your buffed “current health out of max” is changed to a theoretically equivalent lower “current health out of max”. But because Bethesda didn’t set a 1 hp minimum value, losing a lot of health in your buffed state can cause it to round down to a value lower than 1 hp (aka 0 hp) when you go back to normal and thus die. This problem gets turbo charged when you combine the “buff max health” effect with buffs that increase attributes that effect max health like endurance, since your new health now isn’t even equivalent with all the changed attributes and you’ll actually lose chunks of health when it wears off. You don’t even have to create your own potions/spells to do this. This is in no way limited to people who break the game with exploits. Especially at lower levels standard store bought potions and spells will kill you this way. I myself killed myself multiple times with such effects. It’s so bad that buffing your health is legit more dangerous than the enemies.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Pretty sure the code patch has an option specifically to make sure you can't die from losing fortify health. Might want to give (re-)installing that a try.

Just lol if you don’t play on Xbox like a real man who scorns the weakness of patches. That unusable hammock in the Raven Rock player house is an integral part of the original artistic vision dammit!

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
In a lot of ways I infinitely prefer decorating my house in Morrowind to its sequels because I never have to worry about the physics going ballistic or the cell resetting or ruining your display because you brushed up against something by a micron. Plus you could make any place your house without mods.
Speaking of which what’s your favorite non-standard house? So no strongholds or Balmora permanent corpse murder manors or mods. I always loved the house where you kill the crazy mage in Godsreach.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Babe Magnet posted:

I got into morrowind when I was 12 too. I think the Toonami ad sold me on it. Me and my brother sunk hundreds of hours into the xbox version before I moved onto PC.

That Toonami “review” might legit be the single most successful ad buy in videogame history. It’s probably the sole reason the Elder Scrolls is a household name, turned it from a niche PC game for the weirdo’s who play on PC to something dudebro’s play on their couch guzzling Mountain Dew.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Proletarian Mango posted:

i do remember thinking it was kinda weird this snowy island was so close to what i assumed was a very hot volcano island tho.

I always imagined Vvardenfell as quite cool or even chilly. It’s one of the most northern parts of one of the most northern provinces. Sheogorad at the least is gonna be cold. Hell it’s even full of Nords! I figure that only the Ascadian Isles and Bitter Coast are really “warm” barring standing next to lava pits in Molag Mar.

Though I love Solstheim it really is just a completely different game. Even putting aside the flora and fauna. It’s has no connections with any of the characters, culture/society/politics, metaphysics, or plotlines. You might as well be playing a different character than the Nerevarine.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I always imagined Scuttle to have kind of a dry musty smell,
Kwama Eggs like heavily salted cold red meat,
Ash Yams as Yams believe it or not,
Saul Treece as like soft pretzels,
Guar like turkey,
Cliff Racer like leather or jerky,
Kagutie like chicken,
Bittergreen like spinach,
Comberry like cranberry,
Marshmerrow like maple syrup,
Muckspunge like a communion wafer,
Mudcrab like lobster
and Nix Hound like soft pork fat.
I have no idea how most of these came to be. I think after a thousand hours your brain just has no choice but to assign a flavor to all these fantasy foods.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It mildly annoys me that after coming up with new fantasy names for the months, they just half-assed it for the days of the week.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
So the game always gave you plenty of context to make it clear that N’wah means something like a combination of a racial slur, religious infidel, and foreigner. But Swit and Fetcher never get the same kind of elaboration in-game. Is there some lost tome or similar that I’ve missed that elaborates on them? I’d like to be properly offended when cussed at by my video games.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

FlocksOfMice posted:

. When you play one game for 20 years you need new mechanics or else you'll get bored?

As much as I love Morrowind that’s generally a sign you should go play a different game.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Friends, I have never touched Morrowind before and am about to. I grabbed it from GOG and will be going MGSE rather than OpenMW.

My plan is to throw... let's see... MGE, the code patch, I guess the Enhanced Textures, into MO2 and fire it up. After I play a while I'm sure I'll spiral into the modding hole, never to see the light of day again. But for now, I just want to Play Morrowind and go from there. Is there anything I really need to know or any land mines I'm about to step on?

I actually know next to nothing about the game, the story, the lore. I'm sure I'll be back with a Brand New Player trip report for all of you to laugh at and get all wistful about.

1: You really shouldn’t use any graphics mods except to increase draw distance/lower the N64 fog, especially PC/NPC appearance stuff. They are all hideous and immersion breaking. Don’t.
2: Fatigue actually matters, all your accuracy checks etc will be massively penalized if you used all your stamina. For some reason just walking depletes stamina and I’d recommend a mod that makes it not do that.
3: DO NOT use a 100% accuracy mod. It’s part of the design for a reason and it’s only “stupid” if you don’t use your own major weapon skill.
4: Argonians and Khajit get massive armor penalties they can’t compensate for. Most of the helmets are forbidden because of your big snout, and you are literally not allowed to use leg armor.
5: Don’t listen to the tryhards that tell you to take the Atronarch Birthsign. A smidgin of extra MP is not worth the massive pain in the rear end not regenerating magic is. If you’re playing a mage just take the Apprentice (or do your own thing and pick the Serpent I’m not your boss)
6: Have fast travel options. There’s no “select map icon” travel so you need to know where the bus routes are, and carry around an amulet or spell for both interventions and mark/recall.
7: Get a mod that keeps the tribunal expansion from triggering before you want it too.
8: Use Spears. It’s your only chance and you can do fun things with their extra range
9: The game doesn’t level like Skyrim and Oblivion, everything is hand placed. some areas and quests are high level and you should come back later.
10: In general don’t use a lot of mods because you’ll miss out on the magical true Morrowind experience.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I’d like to say avoid any housing mods for your first play through (or five). Finding a cool place to decorate with your stuff that’s in a cool or convenient location that you get attached to is part of the fun. It’s something you can’t do in Skyrim or Oblivion because everything in the world regularly gets erased and reset, whereas in Morrowind every building or apartment can be emptied and used as your permanent residence. It also makes the strongholds that much more meaningful.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Great advice, buuut:

I'm pretty sure you don't lose fatigue while walking, only running. Though some people find walking to be excruciatingly slow.
Beast races can't use closed helmets, nor boots. But Argonians are very resistant to poison and diseases, which is quite handy.

You can give yourself poison and disease resistance/cures though, there isn’t a spell, enchantment, or potion that can give you normal feet.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
What all are you storing that you need so much space. I obsessively save, and decorate with, every “unique” item the game and have never run into storage issues or needed to use a perma-corpse.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Another point in Morrowind’s favor: When I meticulously place all my cool weapons and artifacts around the house it stays that way. When I meticulously place all my cool weapons and artifacts around the house in Oblivion and Skyrim they explode and fly across the room at lethal speeds every time I load the cell. Physics was a mistake.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Best travel tip is 0 points Slowfall. Makes you immune to fall damage without actually slowing you down. And costs so little it can just be put on top of whatever your actual constant effect enchantment is.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Thinking on it vanilla Morrowind did a really good job at telling you if a place was too dangerous for you to be in using visuals. Which is way more immersive than floating numbers or a skull emblem. You see widdle ole’ Kwama, Rats and Mudcrabs you know your safe, then you get to Nix Hounds and Cliff Racers and they look more predatory so you know there’s more danger, then you start getting big dinosaurs covered in spikes like Kagoutie and you know it’s getting more serious, then finally you’ve got hardcore looking demon warriors and Cthulhu’s and you know shits gotten serious. Of course this only applies to the monsters and there’s no way to tell if this bandit wizard in some random cave is going to one-shot you. And of course the expansions and their mega goblins.
It’s completely different than Oblivion and Skyrim where auto leveling makes all enemies “early game” and all enemies “late game”.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Maybe in other countries it’s just as bad (I don’t speak the heathen Dutch language so I don’t know) but American voice acting is the same ~8 people doing the same ~8 voices and it’s just incredibly immersion breaking to constantly go “oh it’s that guy again”. Skyrim and Oblivion were even worse than the abysmal industry standard about that, so I am immensely grateful that Morrowind was too early to have all that. Attempting to use AI to expand the fleeting canned greetings into voicing all the text would bring Morrowind down to those later standards not up, because it would make it impossible to ignore the shared voices and “That guys”.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
House Hlallu has the softest stance on abolitionism publicly, but in truth is by far the largest user of slaves on the entire island, and the house whose economy is the most dependent upon it.

House Redoran’s economy isn’t based around slave labor in any relevant capacity and as such they have very little slavery actually practiced in their territory. This means that the issue simply isn’t relevant to most Redoran and it rarely comes up. This doesn’t mean that they have any problems with it or wouldn’t oppose abolition on sectarian grounds, merely that they just don’t think about it.

House Telvanni of course believes it’s their god given right to do anything they goddamn well please, and would die before they let some self-righteous n’wah tell them that they can’t own people as property. Despite this ideology, they still don’t use slaves in the numbers the Hlallu do or are completely dependent on them economically. It’s a little harder to make generalizations though since the house is so decentralized, with a couple of the lords even freeing their slaves or expressly using freeborn labor, next to one’s who use them as target practice.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I feel like the Temple and Cult should have locked you out of each other like how the great houses work. It’s like being a Catholic Priest and an Orthodox Rabbi at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

mystic pimp posted:

if you arent using mwse stuff i dont see why you wouldn't just use openmw by default

Honestly if you’re changing the game to such a large degree that mwse is necessary then you should just go play a different game.