Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Playing thru again as a medium armored mage with no destruction or weapon skills.

I have some kind of a "more restricted services" mod that gates a lot more bartering/training/etc behind faction standing. So I wasn't able to buy the book in necrom you need for a mages guild quest and ended up having to steal it and make a run for it. I think this fits into the quest better, kind of like the ald'ruhn book quests. Also traveling to tel mothrivra for an EEC quest I wasn't able to use telvanni aligned silt striders, eg the one in tel gilan, so I had to fuckin' walk there. Coming back it looks like you can actually use the silt... boat things as well as normal boats at least.

The imperial cult is kind of crap. The old ebonheart questline ends on nothing and the firewatch artifact hunting quests probably should have been fighters guild or imperial legion quests. Thinking now they even have the cool undercroft/tower/sewers area and i don't think you do anything in there?

Andothren thieves guild was funny but completely bugged out at the end for me.

The mages guild quest in akamora to get a bunch of plants has been my favorite. I think there has been an oversight in the city design because the quest specifically tells you not to pick any of the plants in akamora but you can get basically 2/3rds of what you need if you do just that, but if you follow what the guild member tells you to do it's a great intro into the indoril area in the south east of the world map.

I dont know where the old ebonheart knight guy's horse is at yet but it's funny you can ask people all the way down in aimrah if they have seen a horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Absorb health and a small pile of rings.

Oh yeah with that mod I had to find almsivi intervention as a spell in a book. Nobody would teach it to me.

e: not sure if it's the beautiful cities mod but it added drunks in balmora and I swear one is programmed to fall off the bridge and into the water

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Been playing starwind and major kudos for what it is but the game is rough basically past the first planet.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Yeah that's the link. it's kotor in the morrowind engine

Combat is stupid but in a weirdly compelling way. Guns are crossbows so it's kind of a dodging bullet hell thing if you fight a group of people. I lucked into a midgame sniper rifle in the first sewer level on tatooine that you probably get tricked into but switched to a pistol because you can spam it a lot more and the reduced damage doesn't matter so much. Melee weapons are more powerful but you also have to chase down blaster users that will try to kite you.

Im not sure if it is a bug but you can't rest anywhere except beds that seem to be all unowned, and with alchemy being locked behind a quest chain I just ignored it and the game felt remarkably "kotor-ish" with how you rely on medkits to heal.

nar shaddaa is like a weird meme town. ra'virr has a shop there and there is "club arkngthand" that has a dancing dagoth ur.

All of the exploration maps are like 10x the size of what they need to be. At least the mod has some kind of speed tweak going on, plus mounts that add hundreds of speed plus a feather effect.

getting skills in the game is weird. there's a ton of datapads (books) in game and basically everything gives you a random skill up. you can buy like "blaster manual 1" that gives you ranged skills but there are only 5 of those, 5 for melee weapons, and 5 for persuade i believe. trainers are really rare, for spells (force powers) too.

The aesthetic is sick, if you were into kotor or swg well it's basically that but there were also swings and misses like all the hutts look like cartoon blow up toys you would see on a used car lot.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Whorelord posted:

How much voice acting you depends on what kind of RPG you're in. Morrowind is fine with mostly text, but lets not pretend that games like Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines or Cyberpunk 2077 would be better if they were all text based.

A cyberpunk or vtm demake that put them in the morrowind engine would be sick

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

There is a lot of stuff that is owned by various levels of the factions too, so that tweak is mandatory for me

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

The black tooltip when you hover over stuff is dark red if it's a crime to take or interact with it. Openmw has a bunch of settings to let you change the color or make your cursor change color or whatever but what I described is the default

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Insanely hyped for narsis and everything else is just frosting on the cake.

to put things in perspective this is balmora overlaid on top of the narsis sewers map

I was putting it off but I might have to beat the game again to have a save ready if the main quest epilogue is in grasping fortune.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

openmw with patch for purists and expansion delay. mods are fun but i think they would be incomprehensible or overwhelming if it's your first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

SettingSun posted:

I would consider modding if there is one that allows me to squeeze by npcs who stubbornly stand in narrow halls and prevent me from getting around them

In openmw you can set the collision bounding box to be a cylinder and it works fine on those castle spiral staircases that I always notice getting stuck on