Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

WASDF posted:

The Sixth Album

This album's not released yet. It's supposed to come out in 2012 (probably early) and you can check out a few songs from it on YouTube as they're being played live in a lot of their concerts. The most the band has said about this album is this quote from Cedric "“Sorry no spanish [sic] on this record, no Zeppelinesque voyages, no Santana like flourishes or vishnu accuasations [sic]. No congas, no Hammond organ stabs, no 30 minute songs, no drums that sounds like mosquitos buzzing in your ear. Just future punk. That’s the only way to describe it from my point of view.”

Well that's kind of disappointing :smith: After Octahedron sucked because it felt so accessible and like it was trying to appeal to the masses who hadn't heard TMV yet rather than being innovative like the rest of their releases, I was really hoping their next would be a return to form. Maybe it still will be, who knows. That quote doesn't inspire much confidence, though.

Besides Octahedron, I love every single thing they've done and I have since I was around 14 and got into them, right before Frances came out.

I still can't really decide what my favorite album of theirs is, though. I used to think for a while that Frances was it, but I love De-Loused just as much, and Amputechture's absolutely a contender as well.

Bedlam is loving great and I love it, but I can't say it's my favorite. Listening to it start to finish gives me a headache, honestly. That's because it's such a goddamn aural onslaught, but still. I can pick up De-Loused, Frances or Amputechture and listen to those anytime, whereas listening to Bedlam all the way through is a unique experience that I only partake in every once in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

They only played three old songs? :raise:

I mean, I'm sure their sets can be only a few songs long if they play a few of their longer tracks. But those three combined are <20 minutes long.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

bunky posted:

"Now I'm Lost"

Just the first words conjure up such meaning in context.

The first words of the album are actually "Clipside of the pink eye fight, I'm not the percent you think survives, I need sanctuary in the pages of this book" :eng101:

Though that interpretation makes sense.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That Tetragrammaton cover is beautiful. Miranda's really good too, but yeah, anytime she's autotuned sounds awful.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Earwicker posted:

Sounds really rushed to me IMO

Like she went through the chorus too fast, you mean? I can see how that'd be a concern for some, but I don't know, I rather liked it like that. It's different than the original for sure, but I think it works.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Frances The Mute is a hell of a song. When I first heard it, I was blown away and I couldn't believe that it didn't make it to the album of the same name. I mean, FTM is a loving amazing album right as it is. But still, that is a quality song.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A friend of mine who's involved with TMV (I think she's a merch girl for them) posted this on Facebook:

quote:

The Mars Volta - "Noctourniquet"

Out on March 27th.

Tracklist:
1. The Whip Hand
2. Aegis
3. Dyslexicon
4. Empty Vessels Make The Loudest Sound
5. The Malkin Jewel
6. Lapochka
7. In Absentia
8. Imago
9. Molochwalker
10. Trinkets Pale Of Moon
11. Velamalady
12. Noctourniquet
13. Zed And Two Naughts

edit: Haha, TMV just posted it on their own Facebook. Guess it's legit! :dance:

edit2: http://www.themarsvolta.com/splash/

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 17, 2012

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It reminds me a ton of the cover for Night Passage by Weather Report.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:stare: Now I'm really anxious to hear it after work. So it's even less like their older work than Octahedron?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Aw, they took down the preview? :smith:

Is it up anywhere else?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Webbeh posted:

http://d.pr/e00v

What the gently caress :staredog:

I refuse to believe this is Mars Volta. Though I'll have to hear the whole song before I really make a judgement call on it.

edit: I'm watching this live version of the entire song and...well, I was gonna say I'm torn between digging the hell out of it at times and disliking it at other times, but the more it goes on, I think it's more of the former. This is classic prog-rock mixed with jam band type stuff, and I'm enjoying it immensely. It goes about it in different fashions than most previous TMV stuff, but that's not a bad thing. Just different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBb0n_5LUYw

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 9, 2012

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Saw this on Facebook and thought you guys might appreciate it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4rNo8JRhL4

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Wait, is that saying that Omar recorded 20 albums in three years? :psyduck:

The man never runs out of material. Mostly loving awesome material, at that!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

He's produced like 12 solo/Omar-fronted group albums just since Octahedron.

2009 Los Sueños de un Hígado
2009 Xenophanes
2009 Solar Gambling
2010 Ciencia de los Inútiles
2010 Omar Rodriguez Lopez & John Frusciante
2010 Sepulcros de Miel
2010 Tychozorente
2010 Cizaña de los Amores
2010 Mantra Hiroshima
2010 Dōitashimashite
2010 Un Escorpión Perfumado
2010 Telesterion

And there are probably even more than that that he didn't produce!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Webbeh posted:

Exactly. Omar's built for making music. loving Bromar.

:lol: Is that shirt available to buy online anywhere? And if so, where? I want to throw money at whoever's selling them.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Webbeh posted:

No, I actually made it awhile back as a combination of an Omar stencil and a Captain Planet stencil.

I wonder if I still have it on my laptop somewhere..

Nice work! :D

Also, it blows my mind that Omar stencils exist.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Webbeh posted:

So, The Comatorium (the official TMV message board) got word from a MLB forum that sample copies of MLB The Show 12 (which include the song Zed & The Two Naughts) was at select Best Buys. Users across the forum called their local Best Buys to see if the game was demoed. One user, Shareeb, got confirmation of his Best Buy, drove over to the store, and recorded the song on his phone. Then, he got home and had to go to work, giving The Comatorium an eight-hour wait until he finally released the song above.

The song sounds a lot more like TMV, although obviously its poo poo quality (on par with the FTM leak for those who remember that) makes it hard to listen to the song in detail. However, this should dissuade some people who were worried guitar work was minimalist on the album.

Okay, this album is going to loving blow me away. This sounds like something from De-Loused with different (awesome) drumming.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm at work and can't listen to it but one of my friends has it and she's posting about it on Facebook and it keeps coming up on my...well, not my news feed, but whatever that feed is on the right hand side of the screen above the chat section.

It's driving me loving crazy. I need to get off work so I can hear this thing :f5:

WASDF posted:

I assumed it leaked? I must ignore it. Octahedron was really unexciting due to the leaks. Won't let this be another Octahedron.

I never listened to a leak of Octahedron and I was still mostly unimpressed by it the first time I heard it. It's grown on me a little, but it's still my least favorite Volta album by far.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm not even halfway through the first song and this is already loving fantastic :stare::fh:

Miles better than Octahedron.

edit: This album has an actual normal-length song structure so far. Pretty weird for TMV.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 2, 2012

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dyslexicon is something else. Holy loving goddamn this is good.

So far, this feels like the soundtrack to exploring a dying planet whose inhabitants have all vacated it right before it's snuffed out of existence forever. Like watching the sky turn from bright orange to darker shades of red and just feeling this great sense of impending doom.

edit: Imago is almost like Televators Part 2. I never thought I'd hear another Volta song this chill. Wow. I love it.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 2, 2012

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

WASDF posted:

How long is the album?

An hour and 4.5 minutes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Definitely wasn't their appearance on Henry Rollins. That loving ruled. That's one of the first things I show people I know when they tell me they've never heard of The Mars Volta.

They've got like 10 people all crammed on the stage together and somehow it sounds so drat well put together despite that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

drunk asian neighbor posted:

So, this isn't ironclad or anything, but... I work for the House of Blues in Boston, and a friend of mine in the box office told me today that, while it hasn't been officially scheduled or announced yet, At the Drive-In is going to be playing here sometime in July. I'll update as soon as I hear more - you can bet your rear end I'm taking that day off and going to the show instead of working it!

:stare:

I reeeeeally hope they do an actual nationwide tour instead of just playing festivals.

I'll buy tickets for a New Orleans date the second they go on sale. If there is a New Orleans date. A lot of awesome bands completely skip over us here :smith:

But hell, I'd drive to Houston or somewhere in Florida or wherever to see them if I had to.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I got an e-mail from TMV a little while ago saying that the album is coming out one day early now. It's on their Facebook too.

Noctourniquet's new release date is on Monday the 26th.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Listened to this all the way through again today, and I wasn't feeling it as much as I did a few weeks ago. Several of the songs can be great on their own, but overall, it doesn't feel like a cohesive effort.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A friend of mine posted a picture of the setlist from the ATDI show:

Arcarsenal
Pattern Against User
Chanbara
Lopsided
Sleepwalk Capsules
Napoleon Solo
Quarantined
Rascuache
198d
Enfilade
Metronome Arthritis
Pickpocket

Encore:
Non-Zero Possibility
One-Armed Scissor
Catacombs

This is like every song I could possibly want them to play live. I want to see them so badly :stare::fh:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I don't care much for how Cedric sounds during the chorus of Enfilade. Sounds a little too effeminate compared to the raw energy of how he sounds on the album version. I've noticed he sings like this sometimes in recent TMV videos, too. It's pretty lame.

He sounded good during One-Armed Scissor, though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Declan MacManus posted:

Cedric's voice didn't age well but everything else did. :stare:

Yeah I watched a bunch of videos from their first reunion show (at Red7) the other day, and he sounds really loving goofy. Like a parody of himself.

Everything else sounded pretty tight, though. But Omar looked sad as hell just standing away from everyone else not doing anything :smith: I watched some live videos of theirs from like 2000 right after that, and he's all over the place.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ethan posted:

Well his mom did just die. Also he doesn't do crack anymore.

I knew about his mom, but crack? I knew he used to do drugs, but I wasn't aware that it was crack. If that's true, goddamn.

Still, you don't have to be on crack to move around at shows. At the first reunion show, he looked like he was in the same position for the entire show.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Happy Hippo posted:

Cedric used to really lay into the screams and shouts with ATDI but with the Mars Volta he actually sings. Seeing as how TMV is his main gig these days I doubt that he'd risk shredding his voice for this reunion. He's probably laying off the screams on purpose.

That's what I've been thinking too, but that coupled with Omar being fixed in one place made it seem like their energy's not all the way in it.

Omar has an excuse, but...I don't know. Though I'm probably being too hasty with this. Everyone else in the band was totally on point and I'm only basing this off of YouTube videos of like 5 or 6 songs that weren't of the best quality.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

travislopes posted:

For those that didn't catch the show last night, I uploaded the full set in HD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4ukI_WBtDg&feature=youtu.be

God, I wish Cedric would just loving let loose with his voice on these songs. I don't want him to reserve it for TMV at all. Everything else is there for this to be totally awesome, but this one thing seems to be holding it back from being a truly great reunion in my eyes.

It sounds like it fits at some points, like during parts of Lopsided, but most of the time it just sounds completely out of place and disappointing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Friend of mine posted this on Facebook earlier, and I thought it was pretty accurate :v:

It's from this cracked.com article about TMV: http://www.cracked.com/funny-3015-the-mars-volta/

Some other accurate quotes from that article:

quote:

Just The Facts
1. Mars Volta songs tend to be somewhere between three hours and eight weeks in length.

quote:

Cedric Bixler-Zavala

Job: Creating lyrics/gibberish, wailing.

To his credit, Zavala sounds kind of like Robert Plant. However, while Plant sang mostly about babes he was gonna leave and occasionly made some songs about Lord of the Rings-related stuff, all of Zavala's songs are based on the things that a crazy homeless man sees after he looses his tinfoil hat.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp3PrJJBRrw

Just watched this "Questions From Fans" video in which Cedric says that the lesson he took away from recording Noctourniquet was to make his songs shorter and more concise like the pop music he listens to. He said he thinks it's a special medium, to be able to fit all your ideas into just a few minutes and have them stand out and such.

So does this mean no more long, multi-part songs from TMV? Because I'd be disappointed if that were the case :smith:

De-Loused had this to an extent and it worked loving spectacularly there, and it works well enough on Noctourniquet too, but I'd definitely be sad if they never came out with another album like Frances The Mute or Amputechture, at least in structure.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

If they end up making De-Loused Part 2 as a result of this...well I'm not gonna lie, I'd be pretty loving stoked. Though I don't know how likely that is at this point. And I'd still miss their prog stuff.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

WASDF posted:

He did it with De-Loused, so maybe.

Wait, there's a published book about the story of De-Loused? :monocle:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah, he does some out of control poo poo on his albums that makes me love him as a vocalist, but in just about all recent videos I've seen of him playing with Mars Volta and At The Drive In, he sounds loving terrible. I've definitely seen some older live videos of Volta in which he sounds great, though, so maybe it's just a recent live thing? He doesn't sound bad on Noctourniquet at all, so I'd say that's probably it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Happy Hippo posted:

Octopus Kool Aid.

Of course, it is called Octopus Kool Aid.

Omar comes out with some strange album names and song titles, but this coupled with the album art is loving bizarre :psyboom:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

poo poo, that's a real bummer :( I wish I'd gotten to see them live more than once at a festival while standing pretty far back from the stage.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

logical phalluses posted:

TMV used to be like my absolute favorite band. They took my live music virginity. It sucks to see them go. I haven't listened to De-Loused in years but I decided to give it a listen, and it still sounds every bit as amazing as I remember.

De-Loused is one of the very few albums that still gives me chills all over every time I listen to it, like I'm 14 and hearing it for the first time all over again.

Friends Are Evil posted:

16-year old me is heartbroken.

That being said, I'm not nearly as sad about it as I thought I'd be. Noctourniquet was pretty weak stuff.

And yeah, Noctourniquet really wasn't that great. When I first heard it, I thought it was pretty interesting but far from their best. And I still think the same of it now. It's not bad, but I don't think it's a great last album together either. It's given me a whole new appreciation for Octahedron, too. Before Noctourniquet came out, I thought Octahedron was really weak and I rarely listened to it because it paled in comparison to TMV's other albums. Now I've listened to it more and I dig it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Deloused and Frances are obviously their best albums with Amputechture trailing close behind. And then Bedlam is awesome too, but not in the same way. It's like an hour long roller coaster ride of an album.

The songs with the craziest lyrics are some of their best, too. I mean, come on: "a necklace of follicles with sabertooth monocles". That's loving genius :D

• Locked thread