Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What's the take on Waterfox? I'm using it, and don't see many problems and I can see that it will still run extensions that don't pass the new webextensions criteria in the future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I honestly just hope Waterfox sticks around as Firefox with as much of its bullshit stripped out as possible. The extensions thing isn't that important.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The XKCD Larper posted:

FF 57 has forced me to detox from a serious dependence on Vimperator and Tree style tabs. Using the internet like a normal rear end person is good

I tried Nightly out and being forced to drop a bunch of my extensions honestly is for the best. I also used to have a Stylish skin for the browser as a whole (Firefox Edge) but the new UI is just fine on its own and now I don’t have to deal with the Stylish privacy concerns.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Man people think this update is bad? I have only been pleasantly surprised and VERY impressed/happy with everything in the new update. Even things I thought would be terrible like the extension shenanigans, just made me realize I used stupid extensions that probably shouldn't be updated.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Is Firefox supposed to run 5 processes at once, even if the only window open is a blank page? If I kill the window, all of them go away, if I launch it again, all 5 come back.

I think those processes are extensions actually.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Pocket's fine and good if you, like me, need to send memes from your PC to your girlfriend via iMessage. Just put it into Pocket then it's on your phone. It's a lot easier than my old way of emailing myself or using OneNote.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I never use more than one tab on any mobile browser, so Firefox Focus is my preferred browser.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I use containers for Amazon, Google and Facebook and otherwise set Forget Me Not to auto delete cookies as I close tabs, with reddit and SA whitelisted. I have no problems with any websites. I used to use NoScript but it broke a LOT of poo poo and whitelisting everything was hit-or-miss still.

End of the day, I just hope that my pihole, Adguard, containers, and cookie deleter is enough to keep me reasonably private/safe.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

wooger posted:

What is AdGuard, an extension? Use uBlock Origin imo, guaranteed to be more efficient and block more.

Also, what is the intended function of the Pihole if you’re using an ad blocker in-browser?

There's an extension and an app you can load on your PC that applies your block lists computerwide. It also allows for more functionality. It has a nice UI and it's not shady, in fact the founder has (had?) a blog where he'd do little investigations into random apps and extensions to expose privacy violations like phoning home.

PiHole (and the adguard app) allow for another layer of protection from bullshit in case something gets through or is blocked by a different protocol. Pihole also can't do what browser blockers do like element hiding, and browser blockers can't block network activity from behind the scenes well like a PiHole can.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FRINGE posted:

I dont know how firefox is still around.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:StatCounter-browser-ww-monthly-200901-201707.png

The trend is dire, and the answers on various ff related help pages are usually to the tone of "code your own solution idiot, we are smart and you are not, take what you are given then shut up".

The people asking for help are the loving customers in this scenario. Firefox is killing itself in some kind of self-righteous mentally ill immolation.

This almost assuredly has to do with the mobile browser fuckery, particularly on android because there's no reason "Android" should be a competitive browser, considering they mean WebView or whatever is that browser you go to when you hit 'help' in the settings on an android phone. And not to mention "UC Browser" which is basically just WebView with spyware.

Because of mobile devices, there are a LOT more people who have new access to the internet so even getting 3% of total mobile device owners today is probably more than getting like 50% of normal home users back in 2005 or something.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The Merkinman posted:

and you can't have Firefox (or rather, Gecko) on iOS, but it's Apple, so everything anti-competitve they do is A OK.

I wonder if iOS browsers count their browsers as anything other than Safari because I believe all their browsers use a Safari-based engine or something.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think I'm alone in thinking that I loving hate keeping my history around. I never want anything to do with my history ever again but every single browser makes you go through like 3 different redundancies to make sure your history isn't saved or is at least cleared whenever you use the browser.

Firefox still kinda needs an about:config tweak and maybe an extension to make sure your history is never kept.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I took a day and cleared all my poo poo out and went through redundant/outdated passwords in my password manager. I highly recommend doing this, especially if you keep sync on and/or drag poo poo between browsers.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I have a lot of success with Edge instead of Firefox as a daily browser (on my PC at least). I used to insist on using Firefox because it has the addons that delete cookies all the time but Firefox generates a far more unique fingerprint than Edge so who's to say if it's providing better privacy? I just have Edge clear all cookies after I close it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'm just saying cookies aren't the only way they track yo rear end.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Storm One posted:

media.autoplay.default

0=enabled
1=disabled
2=prompt

Goddamn how is prompt not the default function jesus christ.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If you, like me, are worried Firefox will go with Google and kill adblockers maybe consider getting adguard for your computer. It basically functions like a pihole, but only on your computer and not on your network; can even hide your IP kinda. I got rid of uBlock to see if adguard can handle ads without ublock and it works great!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

When I close Firefox it is fullscreen usually. When I open Firefox it is usually in a smaller window.

What gives?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Maximized window, I guess I should have been more specific.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Light Gun Man posted:

i just use jdownloader for youtube personally

Same, I haven't found many places it doesn't work.

Here's an issue,: I keep clicking through Captchas with the stupid "find the cars!" things but it takes like 15 sets for me to finally maybe get through and it keeps prompting me to 'please try again' as though I got them wrong. Is there a way to do anything about these loving things?

The WORST thing is when I enter my username/PW and have to go through 3 minutes of this poo poo just to log in and then it says 'wrong password' because of course.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Nalin posted:

Do you encounter this problem with Cloudflare a lot? I got that captcha a whole bunch when a website I was visiting was being DDoS'ed and my VPN kept triggering captcha's non-stop. I haaated that captcha, but then I got this extension and it made my life a whole lot better:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/privacy-pass/

You do the captcha once and then the next 30 captchas are skipped.

This is awesome! thank you!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I tried Bitwarden and quite like it. The autofill isn't quite as reliable as LastPass but I read that that can be a security attack vector, is that correct?

Same, Bitwarden is perfect for me. And free! Supposedly the autofill is more conservative for security but I would actually just chalk it up to the fact that it's a one-man operation.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I just want a pop up for the bookmarks menu but all the extensions look like they're from the Netscape era or seem like privacy killers.

The native bookmarks sidebar is perfectly fine except that I need to manually close it if I don't want to gently caress up the window sizing of any given webpage.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Avenging Dentist posted:

This sounds exactly like the bookmarks button you can drag onto your toolbar. (Hamburger -> Customize -> find the little star sitting in a tray.) Is there something about that which doesn't work the way you want it?

Wow, this was perfect. Thanks so much man, I don't know how I never found this but it's perfect for my behavior.

Now if only there was a way to delete the "other bookmarks" folder...

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

nielsm posted:

Why would anyone leave that enabled.

That's the advertisement tiles setting. Turn it off and remove all tiles, you won't get any new added.
I turned this off when I first installed Windows 10, several years ago. It has never been flipped back on me, and I have never seen any tiles I didn't add myself in the Start menu.

It’s on by default so reinstalling windows causes it to come back, something I’ve had/wanted to do with some regularity.

The problem, too, is that saving PDFs I open from an email after viewing them in Edge causes it to crash. So now I’m out a lightweight PDF viewer. I can’t believe it but I want preview.app for PC now.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

There’s the xodo pdf reader on the windows App Store that works real well.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Truga posted:

cookie autodelete is really good for this, been using it for years and you can whitelist the 2 sites you actually need cookies on, and everything else just gets nuked 5 seconds after you closed the last tab of that website

of course, then you also need an ublock filter to block all those insanely stupid cookie popups that prevent you from viewing sites without confirming cookies every time lmao

Yeah I use this too, works like a dream. Of course, for privacy, fingerprinting is a much more insidious offender.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I feel like there was an extension that just automatically converted all videos to a standard, basic HTML5 player or something. Maybe this was years ago or I saw it in a fever dream, but I sure hate everything about youtube.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That's the one! Vinegar! I could've sworn it existed on Firefox-- thank you!

gently caress I wish that existed for Firefox.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I hate tech so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I use jdownloader 2 and it has a much higher success rate.