Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Anyone know how to remove the slight animation fade-down that happens when you open the bookmark menu now? It's only like half a second long but it is really annoying to me because after using FF for so long it looks like the sort of stutter that happens when your computer is running slowly and it has to read the bookmark files from disk poorly or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Alereon posted:

I'm not sure about how to disable it, but this animation is so fast I have to pay close attention to realize that its not opening instantly even on my old work computer with a Core 2 Duo and Intel integrated graphics, so you might want to see if there's something causing your graphical rendering performance to be slower than normal.

It's something that is tiny but annoying to me, I don't know why. I think it is because I'm just so used to the animation not being there, and that I usually turn off almost all animations anyhow.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Anyone know how to get rid of the right-click context menu entry "Search [your default search engine] for "Selected link"..."?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Im_Special posted:

Oh god this, this is driving me crazy and I'm pretty sure it only just recently started to happen. Maybe an addon updated did this?

Using the above link as an example http://pastebin.com/DkEa3Uwa before you were able to highlight a part of the link like 'pastebin' then right click > search Google and it would act as if you just typed 'pastebin' in the Google search, now no matter how you highlight a link it will always search the link in full such as 'http://pastebin.com/DkEa3Uwa' in Google.

This seems like another odd addition to Firefox. The corporate conspiracy nutter in me thinks it is another stipulation of the huge amount of money Google throws at Firefox to be their default search provider, but heh.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I may have asked this 6 months ago, but I remembered about it again:

Does anyone know how to easily disable the context menu item "Search [Your engine] for '....'" when right clicking on any text?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I really love Firefox, especially for its customizations-- and case in point it seems like every new version I find something new that I think "wow, I'll never use that, but good on them for including the option for it I guess?" Most other browsers just force their changes without letting you disable them.

Immediately deleting their new video chat button was a good example of this, however my new question is the deleting/disabling of the small green plus sign on the search engine for 'add this search engine?'

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Heads up-- Mozilla is removing the ability to change the newtab page in about :config. They're saying this is so that third parties can't hijack the page, but anyone with half a brain knows it is because Mozilla pays the bills by having companies throw money at them to have their ads injected into their lovely newtab page.

Thankfully there is already third party addon already that is restoring ('hijacking', according to Mozilla :dog: ) the ability for a newtab to be blank and not display any ads or whatever. It's in the bottom of the above link.

I swear my list of addons I have in place just to restore Firefox's UI to a version ~25 state is growing by the month. Not to mention all of the buttons they add on each new version I instinctively remove as soon as they appear. That's why I keep using Firefox though, because I can remove most of the poo poo I don't like.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Firefox 42.0 apparently has x64 support.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Nintendo Kid posted:

The removal of Java does bug me, but the only reason I ever use Java is loving around with truly ancient websites.

Did they forcibly remove Java the way Chrome did?

This is worrying to me, I am forced to use it for various tasks at work.

I guess I'll have to use IE or some poo poo for that now.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I downloaded the x64 installer off of the above FTP link, and manually pointed it to be installed to "C:\Program Files\" and "C:\Program Files (x86)"

Is there any way to tell otherwise if it is actually x64? I would think it would say in the About Firefox like Chrome does, but newp.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Has Mozilla ever asked for donations before?

I wonder how much they are hurting from jumping off the Google teat to Yahoo.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I use Thunderbird a ton. I hope it lasts.

Boingboing did a good article on it yesterday, and it is sad how private mail clients seem to be dying due to simple fact online mail makes money via ad profiling.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Geemer posted:

Firefox 43's 64-bit version is now actually on the downloads page instead of being hidden on the FTP.
My big question now, though, is if it'll ruin my addons with hilarious incompatibilities or not.

You few brave pioneers that already ventured to 64-bit, what's your experience so far?

It has been a-ok for me and my dozen or so addons.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Geemer posted:

So, outside of Flash biting the dust, it should be smooth sailing?

Flash still works fine. It's Java that doesn't really work. Oh well!

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The SA forum style changed in like... Jan 1st 2015? 2014? I can't remember, but I installed Stylish or Greasemonkey to make the forum style look like the pre-change one. Now something changed and it has reverted to the lovely new style. I've been using these forums since 2001 so I don't like the new style OKAY?

Anyone remember what was the original thread that had the style change tweaks?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

fishmech posted:

If you'd like to just straight up have it look the same as years back, here's the forums css used in 2008: https://web.archive.org/web/20080709135551/http://forums.somethingawful.com/css/main.css

Be aware that this might not work with some little elements added since then.

It's just funny that I followed someone's guide in one of the now-forgotten "the forums style has changed!" posts to use either Stylish or Greasemonkey to change it back to pre-2014 style, and I forgot how I did it then. I've used the same profile file since in Firefox, so I can't remember how or what I changed. Now it randomly reset/changed and ugh the new SA forum style.

The Gunslinger posted:

Anyone have that old Somethingawful Forum Fixes CSS thing that some goon made for Firefox? I think it was just a CSS file for GreaseMonkey or something. Google is failing me and I forgot the name of the goon who did it. It basically reverts the forums to the pre-2014 changes.

Same question, but on last page. Thanks!

jeeves fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 17, 2016

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

pokecapn posted:

Edit the grease monkey script you're using to point to 'forums2.css' instead of 'forums.css'. As far as I can tell that's the only thing that changed this month

My savior.

I apparently thought this was a "Stylish" addon script, but apparently I only have one Stylish thing which removes the dumb animations from the FF toolbars.

I had not configured/used GreaseMonkey in so long that I thought that just going to Addons -> GreaseMonkey -> Options would show me any SA tweaks I may have input before, but it didn't have anything besides GreaseMonkey options so I thought maybe I wasn't using Greasemonkey or something?

Then I realized there is a "User Scripts" side bar item, which then had a "SA Fixes". Oops.

Thanks for the help.

Edit - On the bright side I think this was one of the last sort of unknowns that I had forgotten how to reconfigure if I ever wanted to reset my profile. Now I can-- for the first time in like 3 years!

jeeves fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 17, 2016

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Just a heads up: Firefox 44 is on the horizon, and it blocks unsigned addons.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Right click on a tab -> Bookmark all tabs

Then prune the tabs down on what you need and what you don't need. Or just keep them you weird horder that uses 1500 tabs you weirdo.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Ghostery just had a huge update that of course turned off all tracking protection by default.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Synaptic Touchpads need a registry tweak for middle click to work on Win10 and such. You may want to research it, as middle click works fine for myself on 45.0.1.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
FF46 out

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I think the recent bookmarks thing is a great addition, even if I don't use it.

It's because most people never organize their bookmarks, and it all just gets shoved into Unsorted Bookmarks.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Edit - nevermind!

jeeves fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 16, 2017

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
My Firefox profile's about:support
Multiprocess Windows 0/1 (Disabled by add-ons)

Is there any way to tell which add-on is causing this? Or do I just need to disable each one by one until it turns on?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The thing that I like about Firefox's big UI updates is that there is almost always a way to disable or revert things.

This time, I deleted all of the dumb extra space on either side of the URL bar, and deleted a bunch of extra new buttons. I have a small quirk that they changed the icon of the bookmarks menu to a Star with a bracket under it-- I keep accidentally clicking on the "show sidebars" button thinking it is bookmarks.

Changing the Firefox default theme to "light" helped revert the non-current tabs to a light background instead of black.

Now if only I could find a way to disable the short fade in/out menus on the bookmark menu and such.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

clockworkjoe posted:

how do you change the theme?

Addons -> themes -> Light theme.

The black background tabs really annoyed me, this fixes it.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I feel like whoever made the new icon for 70.0 is a mole trying to bring down the company from the inside.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I don't know why they don't change the purple to the blue colour from previous versions. This one looks like a pirated version of Firefox.

The color change is baffling in this era of "OMG FIND A BRAND AND STICK WITH IT" and then also the flattened/lopsided icon.

It is just such a weird choice.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I've been with Firefox since the beginning and holy gently caress is this the worst the interface has ever been. It's like they're actively trying to tank the browser.

The best part is that apparently they will be removing the ability to turn off proton in the about:config in like next update or something.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Any reason you folks aren't just reverting the lovely interface settings to the below to false in about :config?
code:
browser.proton.contextmenus.enabled	true	
browser.proton.doorhangers.enabled	true	
browser.proton.enabled			true	
browser.proton.modals.enabled		true
Is it just because I have the sinking feeling that idiot UI devs at Firefox are going to remove those toggles in the next few months?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I forgotten all about proton for like 3 months thanks to the about:config method of disabling it, but the dreaded deadline finally occurred.

It really feels like someone at Mozilla is getting paid by Google to kill off the browser from within.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Customize Toolbar -> Density (down at bottom of window) > Compact

Saves some space as well. It says "Not supported" but it still seems to work.

I've reverted to v90 for now, but will probably go the route of CSS edits in the future. gently caress Proton.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
You can always rename your entire profile folder to like JeevesFirefox.profile or something, as long as you change the text in profile.ini to match or whatever.

I backup my profile every few months because I have a lot of tweaks including a crazy old GreaseMonkey code to make the forums look better. Having it not be some randomized name helps you recognize when Firefox fucks with your folder in the future or something.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Nalin posted:

Nice! Mozilla finally got around to addressing my many months old Ideas post about increasing theming options by deleting it and telling me it is a duplicate of a much newer post asking for a built-in theming color wheel.

Being killed from within via Google assassins are the only explanation that makes sense for this sheer incompetence.

I haven't heard a single person say anything good about the UI changes.

Then again I don't personally know anyone else who even uses Firefox anymore so that above sample size is just me.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Im_Special posted:

Me: Hey Jeeves! Why are Mozilla such fucktards? What I mean is, why are my only two options now for context/menus background colors either Pure White or Pure Black? Is this now Pokemon? Why did they get rid of the gradient grey color that has existed in pretty much everything since the beginning of time?

Jeeves: gently caress if I know. Maybe try and go ask my pal Akinator.

Me: :(

Hey leave me out of Firefox's bullshit

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I use the Brave Browser on iOS but I am sure it is some sort of secret Chinese keylogger.

But hey it blocks ads esp on YouTube, and let’s me watch videos while the phone screen is off.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Sort of Firefox-related, since it is Thunderbird:

For the past two updates, I've noticed a "Subscription Summary" folder that is being auto-generated on my Thunderbird accounts. I don't know if it is a Gmail or Thunderbird thing, but I can't delete the folder without it coming back after a Thunderbird restart.

Anyone else notice it? I haven't found any information on it, since "subscription summary" are apparently way too generic of terms to search for or something?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

jeeves posted:

Sort of Firefox-related, since it is Thunderbird:

For the past two updates, I've noticed a "Subscription Summary" folder that is being auto-generated on my Thunderbird accounts. I don't know if it is a Gmail or Thunderbird thing, but I can't delete the folder without it coming back after a Thunderbird restart.

Anyone else notice it? I haven't found any information on it, since "subscription summary" are apparently way too generic of terms to search for or something?

I found an answer to my own problem, it was my iOS email app Edison causing this and through IMAP it was making me think it was Thunderbird's fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

zetamind2000 posted:

The extension manager is there but can be removed with extensions.unifiedExtensions.enabled set to false

I swear, every fourth update of Firefox these days adds something that I immediately have to disable.

This new extension icon is exactly where my bookmarks button used to be, so I've been hitting the wrong thing 99% of the time for the last week before deciding to look up how to turn it off.