Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Firefox 76 (mac if that matters) has decided it doesn't want to load youtube thumbnails for me. Disabling all my addons / tracking protection doesn't do anything to fix it. Other browsers aren't having this issue, so Chrome / Safari etc but gently caress those guys.

From what I've been able to put together already it may be related to the fact that Google serve thumbnail jpgs as webp and fall back to jpg if that doesn't load but I'm hitting a wall as to what I can do to actually fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Kassad posted:

Did you try emptying the cache?

Yeah, should have mentioned that in the post.

I should mention that it still shows the snippets on hover too so stuff is loading it's just not showing the still thumbnail.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Lambert posted:

I very much like it.

:mods:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

This is just going to be another hosed up thing to do with webp isn't it? Mother fuckers want tracking in everything and will break the internet to get it.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Klyith posted:

The checkbox just makes it not light up.

To get rid of it entirely, in about :config
browser.messaging-system.whatsNewPanel.enabled set to false
browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.asrouter.providers.whats-new-panel edit the string to change "enabled":true, to false

then restart ff

whatsNewPanel and whats-new-panel is some excellent naming convention standardising.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Artelier posted:

Lately, Firefox has been playing videos (YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc) at a crazy speed; any idea what's causing this? Seems random. I can fix it by messing with playback settings, but if I pause and replay, or even just go like 5 seconds forward/back, or change my spot in the video, the problem starts again and it is annoying

Have you started smoking a lot more weed recently?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Fashionable Jorts posted:

So I did some more thorough digging since I had more time tonight, and it's my loving vpn thats using all of my GPU. It would randomly spike up and use upwards of 60% at a time, leaving firefox and whatever game I'm playing with very little to share so both would slow down.

Thanks for the help anyway, it was nice to learn about about :performance which I'm sure will be useful in some future problem.

lmao, is your vpn mining bitcoins?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Fashionable Jorts posted:

how does firefox even earn money?

People like me have hopes and dreams and give them money when they have it. I no longer have hopes, dreams or money so this is moot in the present.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

wooger posted:

Vivaldi is windows only, so worthless for me.

Chromium seems viable, but has no stable version or update release system. You’re either using nightly builds which you manually upgrade often or some random version that got packaged up.

And it has the same downsides as Chrome in the most part.

Firefox isn’t going to disappear.

Vivaldi is on Mac at least. I have it installed on my MBA.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Not sure what you mean by 'weird behaviour' but this is all I get

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Geemer posted:

If you want to block certain users there's the userscript Block Youtube Users. It's a bit janky, but works. Doesn't stop them from appearing in the grid at the end of videos, though.

But you can add this filter to uBlock Origin to do that: www.youtube.com##a.ytp-suggestion-set.ytp-videowall-still:contains(Linus Tech Tips)
It's case sensitive and will block unintended stuff if you're not specific enough or the channel name overlaps with other channels. Still better than seeing Linus' cursed face everywhere.

I guess you could also get creative with filters and do it all in uBO, but that seemed like way too much hassle to me.

If you're just looking to block a specific channel you can click the menu on any suggested video from that chan and use youtubes "don't recommend channel" option. This seems to work very well for stopping similar stuff too and is how I've aggressively culled shapiro / jorp et al from ever coming up.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Check to see if it works from other browsers on the same device. My bank website stopped working with the same sort error for me yesterday in chrome / ff but safari / vivaldi was fine. Chrome is now working but ff still busted.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

~Coxy posted:

I was getting a similar error logging into my bank (NAB) the last few days.
Turning off tracking protection for their site fixed it.

lmao, that's the bank I was having trouble with. I have changed literally nothing in my configuration and have tracking protection on and can now log in though. This was not working this morning and just checked then to see and it's fine.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Jeff has mentioned bringing out a dark mode for SA so hopefully you don't need to worry about it soon.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

astral posted:

That's one of the tweaks I did to it; let me pastebin my slightly-modified version of "Something Awfully Wronger" somewhere. It still needs some work (it doesn't support the 3 new bookmark colors yet and the bookmark colors it does support are quick-and-dirty), but it's probably still several steps better than the default.

https://paste.mozilla.org/qnXok6av/raw

Other stuff I changed included inverting the plat icons, hiding the default stupid newbie icon because it's so blinding white, basic support for the initial 3 bookmark highlight colors. Maybe something else.

This absolutely fixes my gripe that it doesn't play as nice with SALR in the forums / bookmarks view. Thank you immensely.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I run my google poo poo - gmail / docs / yt etc - in a chrome browser because google already knows my everything about that. Firefox gets everything else.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Internet Explorer posted:

Hello everyone! Just a quick note to help out the folks who browse by bookmarks. We've started a SH/SC feedback thread and would love it if you stopped by to say hi and let us know what you think.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961558

Reported for being Internet Explorer in the Firefox thread

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The dev team are turning into boomers who won't admit they need glasses.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

They really need to get rid of the awesome bar and replace it with a spotlight-esque pop up bar :getin:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Sab669 posted:

Weird, it says I'm on the latest version (87.0)

I'll give this a shot...

e; :toot: I had to bookmark mail.google.com, edit it to manually change the URL to gmail.com and now I can just type in gmail in the address bar lol.

The real pro move is to setup a keyword for your frequent pages like that. Set it to 'g' for example and all you need to do is type 'g+<enter>' into your address bar and blammo you're at gmail.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Jippa posted:

I know this is from months back but do you have a link for this please?

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name               video resizing and sound
// @namespace          https://forums.somethingawful.com/
// @description        loving giant vertical recording
// @include            https://forums.somethingawful.com/*
// @grant              GM_addStyle
// ==/UserScript==

GM_addStyle("video { max-height: 700px; max-width: 800px;} ");

window.addEventListener("load", function() {
    $("video").attr("controls", "controls");
}, false);
Auto showing the controls seems to be a race condition with other stuff so doesn't work about half the time but it's still kind of nice. Obviously change sizing to what works for you.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Lester Shy posted:

Playback and performance looks exactly like the screenshot you posted.

I can open a private window, watch a 1080p video, click "Sign In," go back to the same video and I'm only offered up to 720p.

Everything works exactly how it should in Chrome, whether I'm signed in or not.

At a guess maybe Google is doing some beta testing of a feature and you're getting shafted.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Speaking of favicons, is there a way to choose the icon for your bookmarks?

There are still a bunch of extensions which will let you change the favicon for an individual tab (I use faviconswitcher which is about as simple to use as it is possible to get), but not for bookmarks.

It would be nice to not have all my icons be the grenade.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

astral posted:

Right, nobody should commit their home directory to a public repository.

Yeah, this seems more like a user problem than a firefox one (even if ff does things in a stupid way too).

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

101 posted:

drat. I really like the idea of the JS isolation thing.

Is it likely to be something that ever gets fixed with the embeds or is it just a function of how they're loaded that will never play nice with that?

Yeah, it's such a cool concept that completely breaks the way the modern internet is built.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Still not working :(

Check addons then. Something blocking the twitter scripts from running is your next most likely cause.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Klyith posted:

Crypto bros badger semi-respectable organization into accepting crypto donations by promising they'll donate so much money.

Crypto bros run off and yell at the world that this proves crypto is legit and respectable. Crypto bros don't actually donate that much money. Normal people are disgusted by crypto bros and don't donate money.

In this case it's also plausible that the team behind Mozilla are just cryptobros and no one was promised any money. So they sold out for less than a promise.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

chestnut santabag posted:

Didn't Mozilla already try accepting crypto donations at one point and stopped doing so because they found that they got less donations overall?

2022 is the year of Linux desktopBitcoin though.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Just use the search box and username:name if you don't have a handy post

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Aside from the fact I use uBlock Origin on any browser because I'm not a loving animal, I don't think I've ever deliberately clicked on an ad. In my recent mucking around with Linux distros, for the craic I sometimes go to random sites before I install UO and some of them are absolutely unusable.

Great example is http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html - it's a British tabloid piece of poo poo that I sometimes take a look at for the hyperbole, and without a content blocker it is absolutely horrifying.

What are ads like these days for the accuracy of serving up stuff one might actually be interested in?

You deserve everything you get and more for voluntarily going to the daily mail. That one is on you.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Unintuitive is a perfectly valid word in either my system English (Australia) or FF English (GB). Not sure which one it is picking up for it but it should be valid in both and it's not yelling at me for spelling it wrong.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

actionjackson posted:

ok, but I haven't changed anything in ublock origin, it just started happening yesterday for no reason that I can discern

That doesn't mean Twitter didn't change something which caused your filters to break.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

nexus6 posted:

Is there a working way to get embedded videos on the forums to show controls? I've tried multiple userscripts, including one that works in Chrome, but nothing happens.

Does this not work for you?

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name               video resizing and sound
// @namespace          https://forums.somethingawful.com/
// @description        loving giant vertical recording
// @include            https://forums.somethingawful.com/*
// @grant              GM_addStyle
// ==/UserScript==

GM_addStyle("video { max-height: 700px; max-width: 800px;} ");

window.addEventListener("load", function() {
    $("video").attr("controls", "controls");
}, false);
Failing that try this one

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name         Forums video controls
// @namespace    https://forums.somethingawful.com
// @version      2.0
// @description  Script to add html5 controls on hover to gif and video posts.
// @author       Inceltown
// @match        https://forums.somethingawful.com/*
// @exclude      https://www.youtube.com/*
// @grant        GM_addStyle
// ==/UserScript==

(function() {
    'use strict';
     var timer;

function addVideoControl(){
        var vids = document.getElementsByTagName('video');
        for( var i = 0; i < vids.length; i++ ){
            var elem = vids.item(i);
            if(!elem.hasAttribute("controls")){
                elem.setAttribute("controls", "");
                console.log('video controls added');
            }
        }
    }

timer = setInterval(addVideoControl, 1000);
})();

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Just updated to 109 and it was pegging my CPU but the beta is not so I'm calling 109 a failure and hope none of you experience the drama.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Twitter quite famously is hosed for everyone right now because Elon didn't pay his bills. It's international news and everything. Do not try to fix the problem on your end, unless you can replace Elon and drop billions on fixing things up then just ride it out.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Grab your channels rss feed and put it in your reader then download it with yt-dlp. Ad free viewing and no chance of ever seeing comments.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

doctorfrog posted:

This is a good addon, but unless there are a lot of robust mirrors, it will be a very temporary solution as its popularity increases.

There are docker boxes for it so you can run your own private one / add to the available pool.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

SA keeps drafts of posts in local storage if you want to whitelist us.

Alternatively :justpost:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

isndl posted:

Yokoffing sounds like a euphemism for something but I don't know what.

Offing Yoko Ono

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

~Coxy posted:

If MS can be believed, one of the major reasons for them changing edge to chrome was google purposefully breaking youtube.

Seems like that should be a great reason to take them to court and dunk on them instead.