Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Lum posted:

So today I started Firefox uploading a 300MB file to a cloud storage site (d-h.st if it makes a difference) and then went out for lunch.

When I got back, Windows 8 had helpfully hibernated my PC and stopped the upload from happening.

Initially I was all "loving windows 8" but then I remembered that it has a mechanism where software can tell it "hey, I'm doing poo poo here, don't you dare go to sleep on me", so now I'm blaming Firefox for not doing this.

How can I make Firefox do this?

You're probably better off disabling hibernation completely, unless you really have a need for it. Plus it'll free up a few gigs of disk space. Open a command prompt as administrator and run: powercfg -h off

As for how to tell Firefox to tell the OS that it should temporarily disable sleep actions... I doubt there's an about :config option for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Question Mark Mound posted:

I do wish every browser had Chrome's "every tab is its own process" thing.
Yep, this is my single biggest complaint with Firefox now. MOST of the time, FF is fast and responsive. They've come a long way with the UI and all that. But on those occasions where one tab starts to chug, the entire browser goes to poo poo. It's disappointing and frustrating in equal measure.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

midnightclimax posted:

What add-on is this? Are the tabs to the left of the page? Cool.

Tree Style Tab. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tree-style-tab/

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I stopped using downloadstatusbar once they moved the downloads into that little toolbar icon dropdown thingie.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
When I jumped from Aurora to Nightly (going from version 22 to 24, I think) it totally botched the plugin ask/activate stuff. I had to go into about:config and reset a bunch of settings for the proper UI elements to even appear. Maybe they put some code in that handles the transition more gracefully now, but if you run into some problems, check for settings like "plugin.state.flash" and right click to reset them. I did this for all of them and restarted and it worked right after that.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Would something like this be in Aurora at the moment? (I'm assuming you meant Firefox 24, it's on the nightly channel now) Some of my extensions that have worked for most versions of Fx for the past few years have poo poo the bed in 23.

I'm running a Firefox 24 (Nightly) build from about a week ago, and I'm not having any problems with Tree Style Tabs or Tab Mix Plus, and both of those are on the affected list.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Jippa posted:

Any body have any ideas?

twitter.com#div(js-wtf-module)

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Video playback has gotten so bad for me in Firefox that I've started using a second browser (Chrome or the new webkit Opera) to watch videos while using FF for my general browsing needs. I'm running a nightly build and have a bunch of extensions so I don't even know who to blame or why and I don't really care. Videos in a second window works better for me in the end, so why not do them in a separate browser rather than just a second window of my primary browser.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
One of the reasons I'm on the nightly build is so I could get the h.264 dxva support. It's not just flash videos that suck, though they definitely suck more. It's also worthwhile to note that flash videos in other browsers, even when using the flash plugin (ie: not Chrome's built-in one) suck less.

I also like opening up multiple background tabs and having the browser slow to a crawl while they all load, making continued browsing in the current tab stutter and hang. I remain convinced that whoever at Mozilla decided to completely abandon per-process-tabs (a feature every single other browser has now) is a short-sighted fool. It looks like https://wiki.mozilla.org/Electrolysis started up again last month, but who knows what that means, or how many people they have actively working on it.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I'm going to be a little over in the top in my responses here, but don't take them personally. I just want to highlight how silly some of this stuff is.

Alereon posted:

The "Snappy Project" was what this was called before they got all the low-hanging fruit and broke it up.
Low hanging fruit is exactly how I'd describe it too, and how ambitious that was of them.

Alereon posted:

It's also important to remember that the decision not to implement one-process-per-tab contributes to Firefox having the lowest memory usage of any browser by a significant margin.
Which is awesome, because with 4 to 8 gigs of RAM in almost all PCs, and half of it sitting there never being used, I can see how having a mid-2000s dedication to memory footprint really benefits end users.

Alereon posted:

If you're having problems with Firefox, especially performance problems, make sure you have the latest video drivers for your system.
Seeing this advice constantly really just hammers home how rickety FF's hardware acceleration is. IE and Chome don't fall apart when the graphics drivers aren't absolutely bleeding edge (ie: there have been multiple posts in this thread about installing beta graphics drivers).

At the end of the day, FF is by far the most customizable browser, which is why I still use it. The drawback is that it's also really, really janky. More and more it feels like using it is some sort of "power user" project, where in order to get the control I want, I'm having to spend increasing amounts of time tending to its quirks.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I've been blocking third party cookies for a couple years now. At first, it broke quite a few things, but these days almost nothing seems to be adversely affected by it.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
What's the best way to sync my bookmarks with an iOS device?

("Switch to chrome" is probably the easiest answer here isn't it?)

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Bieeardo posted:

Crap. It looks like an Aurora update has half-broken an add-on that I occasionally use to archive threads. I'm not quite crazy/stupid enough to downgrade, but is there an easy way to run two different installs of Firefox?

Find your profile folder, make a copy of it, and then downgrade. You shouldn't really have any problems, even if you were to ditch Aurora completely and go back to Firefox Beta, or Firefox releases. Worst case you can restore the profile folder.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I downgraded from Nightly to mainline just to get away from the terrible changes they made to clicktoplay. I was hoping they would come to their senses before the changes made it into the release branch. Oh well, seems like that extension does a good job changing the behavior back to something sensible.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 21, 2013

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Why are HTTP Auth requests still presented to the user as pop up dialog boxes, that steal focus from other tabs, and lock you from doing anything else with Firefox until you type in the information and hit OK? Why don't these work like javascript alerts or use notification bars?

Is this problem fixed in Australis?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Do any of the desktop browsers (ie, ff, chrome, opera) have the equivalent of the double-tab feature on mobile browsers? Where it does a smart-zoom in on whatever DOM element you double tapped? It's probably the most useful feature of mobile browsers, I wonder why it hasn't made its way back to the PC.

I like being able to load up some lovely page, like a HuffPo article, and then have the browser zoom in so that all the side bars and crap are excluded, and all that's left is the content itself. Why can't we do that on the desktop versions? (Or can we now, and I've just missed it?)

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

fivre posted:

Firefox 25 is here, with HTML5 audio support!

Google Music doesn't work with it :eng99:

Is this a bug, or because Mozilla won't support the mp3 format?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Avenging Dentist posted:

Firefox has supported the MP3 format for quite a while (at least on Windows Vista+). MP3 support for XP (and probably Linux) is coming in 26. Not sure about OS X. The new audio stuff in Firefox 25 is the Web Audio API, which lets you do considerably more advanced stuff than mere <audio> tags, like generating audio from waveforms, really low latency, etc. It's mainly for games, but an HTML5 music player could probably take advantage of it to get gapless playback.

So why doesn't FF work with Google Music's HTML5 playback?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Alereon posted:

Google Music only supports the deprecated Mozilla Audio Data API from Firefox 4.0, which was experimental and non-standard. This API was turned off in Firefox 25 in favor of the HTML5 Web Audio API, and Google doesn't fall back to the cross-platform method.

Ahh, that makes sense. Hopefully they'll sort it out soon, having to turn flash back on is a bummer.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

The Merkinman posted:

Firefox: Australis coming 2016!

Don't forget "Electrolosis coming 2020!"

Oh, and in case anyone is curious a bunch of Mozilla employees (volunteers?) did an Ask Me Anything over on Reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1phhx1/we_are_mozilla_ask_us_anything/

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Looks like Firefox is going to get h.264 support across the board now, thanks to Cisco of all things.

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2013/10/30/video-interoperability-on-the-web-gets-a-boost-from-ciscos-h-264-codec/

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Avenging Dentist posted:

Software kinda has to cater to the stupids
Are there really that many "stupids" still using Firefox? Unless you're hooked on add-ons, you're probably using Chrome or IE. Mozilla seems to think it's still 2009 where they had a full third of the desktop market and were still on the rise. Instead it's been a steady decline since 2010 and now they're down to something like 17%.

I'm sure our resident Mozilla evangelist will tell me that the whole point is to win those users back, but how realistic is that? How much time is being spent on designing a product for the people who aren't using it, when they could be designing it for the people who still are? How low do the numbers have to get before someone at Mozilla decides to just say gently caress it and do to the desktop version of Firefox what they did to Thunderbird?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Twiddling about with the UI seems like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. Yep, I know that's taking it too far, but it feels similar, even if the circumstances for Firefox aren't nearly that dire. I also know that UI programmers aren't rendering engine programmers, but I feel like there should be a lot more focus on improving the UX through increased performance, not by moving buttons around.

I feel bad that every time I post here I have something negative to say, but Firefox remains my browser of choice, I'm not just making GBS threads on it from afar. I want it to get better. I'm still getting the random squares all over the window glitch that happens on every single computer I have with an AMD graphics card. It's been going on for I feel like a whole year now, and has persisted though updating both my graphics drivers and Firefox multiple times. Stuff like that just makes me sigh in disappointment.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Fapos posted:

This has been happening to me too, even on beta. Kind of sucks!

I've given up on watching videos in Firefox. I keep Chrome installed and switch to that if it's anything more lengthy than a 30 second YouTube video. It's not just flash videos that working poorly in Firefox now, even HTML5 h.264 videos have started giving me real issues, despite the fact that they worked really great when the feature first got added to FF. (Yes, I'm running the latest graphics drivers for my video card that's less than a year old.)

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Money has to be a real problem for Mozilla right now. Their current contract with Google ends in November of this year, and there's absolutely no way that they're going to be able to re-sign it at the current $300 million a year rate. Firefox simply doesn't have the market share it used to, and it's been losing it to Google's own Chrome. That combined with them pulling this ad thing out of their rear end must mean someone over at Mozilla is scrambling.

All of this just makes me continue to wonder... What the heck does Mozilla do with $300 million dollars a year?

Edit: This ads idea seems super poorly thought out. Don't they realize that the moment they turn it on, multiple forks will spring out of the ether? Everyone will switch to FreeFox (unless the ads can be turned off by something as simple as an about.config setting) and that'll be the end of that for a huge portion of their current user base. Only new users will ever see them, and why the heck would a new user pick an ad-supported program (in my day we called that stuff "adware") over Chrome?

xamphear fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 13, 2014

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

johnny sack posted:

Is there a way I can save my exact Firefox configuration so that my bookmarks, button layouts/addons, and everything is saved to my account or something? I hate trying to make the browsers 'match' by going off memory.

I use Dropbox to sync my profile folder between computers. I don't recommend running Firefox and having it use a profile located in your Dropbox folder, all sorts of bad poo poo will happen if you open it up in two places at once. I just manually copy it in and out, overwriting the stock profile folder location when I want to match things up. (Actually, I have 2 .bat files that do it for me but it amounts to the same thing.)

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/04/03/brendan-eich-steps-down-as-mozilla-ceo/

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

The Merkinman posted:

I just went to About Firefox and it upgraded to Firefox 29, isn't that a day early?

Mine just updated too. The Chromification of Firefox continues unabated, it would seem.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

magimix posted:

I'd be willing to be give 'Australis' more of a shot if I could move the hamburger menu to the left of the screen. Am I missing an option, or it is locked to the right-hand side and that is that?

It's on the right-hand side in Chrome, so you see...

I'm a Tree Style Tab user (the only thing keeping me with Firefox) so the Australis changes are fairly minimal for me. I'd like to get rid of the title bar, but it doesn't look like I can, because there's no tab bar on top to take the place of it. The hamburger menu is basically the same thing as the old Windows 7 style "Firefox" button, so I guess I just have to get used to it being on the other side of the window.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 29, 2014

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
There's probably only one path to getting Panorama worked on again. Someone needs to convince Google to add it into Chrome.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Panda Time posted:

FF 29 loads random links on pages without even clicking on them.. is there a way to disable this?

In about :config try toggling network.seer.enabled to false.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

AdBlock Plus could use 4 gigs of RAM all by itself, and it would still be worth it. I would buy more RAM and install it before turning ABP off.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

The Merkinman posted:

I can't wait until all websites have to be behind a paywall :allears:

This, but not ironically. I think it's great to discover the things you like and then pay to use them. We all paid to get in here, so it's not like any of us are complete strangers to the concept.

Also, ads aren't just ads anymore. The most benign ones are "just" invading your privacy, the really bad ones are malware.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Fangs404 posted:

To add to this, a guy from the Chrome dev team posted some useful stuff on reddit:

quote:

Adblock, noscript, ghostery, and other addons like them cause 90% of the issues we see in the forums.
This is an availability heuristic. It's not that these addons are more problematic, per se, it's just that are hugely popular. So, of course they are going to turn up most often when people post issues in a forum. It doesn't mean that they are inherently worse for your browsing experience than smaller ones, in fact they might even be marginally better given their larger install base and programming effort.

Also, this is going to sound hyperbolic today, but it actually dovetails nicely with these last two topics: How long until not just video but html, javascript, and images are also able to be DRM'd in a web browser? Not only will that handle copyright stuff, but if the content is securely encrypted by your web browser right up until the moment the pixels hit your monitor, you won't be able to block any ads from it.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 15, 2014

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Sweevo posted:

It adds horizontally arranged elements to a menu designed for vertical elements. There was nothing wrong with how those menu items were before.

I'm all for calling Mozilla out on change-for-change's-sake but in this case it really doesn't seem like they did any harm. At least in this case they did something original, rather than just stealing the idea from Chrome.

That said, I'm on FF31 and I still have the old text-only menus. :shrug:

Edit: Oh, it's an FF32 beta thing? Something to look forward to, I guess.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 30, 2014

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

rarbatrol posted:

Firefox: probably an add-on you had to install because out of the box this is one weird rear end browser, and if you weren't going to use a bunch of addons, you'd just install Chrome.

Adjusted to match reality.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Why is there a popup blocker icon perpetually in my address bar now? Is this something one of my weird addons did?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

pipes! posted:

I had it. Quitting and relaunching seemed to fix.

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

I had this for a while and at some point it went away. Just ignore it.

Confirmed. I ignored it and it went away sometime this weekend.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Bookmark it, right click the bookmark, go to properties and add a keyword for it. Keywords have the highest priority, so if you type one and slam enter, you'll always load the corresponding bookmark.

Autocomplete is handy, but always subject to change based on what sites you're going to recently. Whenever I get really used to a shortcut phrase, I make it a keyword. I just have a bookmarks folder named "Keywords" where I put them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Flipperwaldt posted:

Ideally, you'd get rid of the delays somehow, I guess, but that likely means hardware upgrades.
If you can recommend a PC build (unlimited cost) where Firefox's UI never, ever, ever lags or hitches I'd love to hear it.