Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

mobn posted:

These are the same people who turn off Aero in Windows 7 and then bitch about how it doesn't perform any differently from XP or Vista.

I don't think that's entirely fair. Aero and the new start menu are pretty unambiguous improvements over XP. Tabs-on-top saves some space, but it takes longer to navigate menus with the consolidated menu button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
For some reason I thought the Firefox button and tabs-on-top were related. If I can save some space and keep the tabs on the bottom, I'm good with that. Moving the tabs to the top doesn't put them inline with the Firefox button anyway, so in terms of space usage it doesn't seem to matter whether the tabs are on top or bottom.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Fangs404 posted:

Something like https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/movable-firefox-button/ would solve the problem.

This doesn't seem to affect vertical space use. Even if you move the Firefox button, the tabs aren't inline with the minimize/maximize/close buttons except when Firefox is maximized.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Lum posted:

A little off topic, but I'm toying with the idea of going back to 64bit again. Can 64bit flash play fullscreen video yet?

Yeah, it can.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Superantispyware over Malwarebytes?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Delzuma posted:

All those are personal preferences, you get the idea though. You've been jacked and you gotta clean the pipes. Is Microsoft Security really better than free avast? I prefer avast for the easy boot time checking but I'll admit in ever really looked into the MS stuff.

The last set of tests I saw showed some pretty lackluster results for Avast, but I don't know enough details about AV testing methodologies to fully interpret those results.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

m2pt5 posted:

Where is the option to disable hiding the "http://" in the address bar?

browser.urlbar.trimURLs = false

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Alereon posted:

Offered updates to Firefox 7 were disabled due to a bug causing some add-ons to disappear, which has a workaround available here. They'll resume pushing updates with Firefox 7.0.1, which I'm guessing should be out pretty fast. I'd recommend just downloading the update from the Firefox website, the problem is a non-issue if you're not a computer newbie walking into it without warning.

Wait, so is this a problem with 7.0 in general, or is it only an issue if it was installed via the updater?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Dexanth posted:

This is driving me a bit batty. Just updated earlier today and all of a sudden external links aren't opening. Firefox is set as my default browser but anytime I click a link in something like IRC or IM clients, it won't open.

It's definitely something in FF since I just set IE as default, everything opened fine there, swapped FF back and links still won't open.

So does nothing happen, or does another browser open instead of Firefox? Go to default programs and make sure all applicable defaults are set for Firefox.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Bieeardo posted:

Unfortunately I also discovered an annoying new wrinkle in the way Firefox handles tabs. Instead of being able to drag and drop them onto the bookmarks bar, you have to hold control, then drag and drop the tab. Apparently it's supposed to emulate the file explorer 'click and drag to move, modifier key to do something else' interface, but I found it unintuitive.

On what version? That's not the case for 7.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

jeeves posted:

I hope Firefox finally goes x64 sometime in the future, as Waterfox got updated with a new taskbar icon that looks like rear end and rapes my eyes every time I see it in a new open window.

In the meantime, you could replace the new icon with the old one, or with something else entirely.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Here's some of what I'm running:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

pseudorandom name posted:

Ctrl+ and Ctrl-

Or ctrl + wheelup or wheeldown

Edit: :argh:

Also, go to view -> zoom -> uncheck "zoom text only"

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Disgustipated posted:

If you think that's awesome, check this out: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/context-search/

Right-Down gesture with Firegestures :smug:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Riso posted:

Doesn't look clickable though.

The yellow wedge next to the text should be.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Re: expanding timgs

Install this script.

Mouseover a timg and right-click the resolution indicator to view it with the element inspector. Hide it with Adblock Plus.

Bonus: this seems to play nicer with SALR's auto-resizing of large images as well.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
If you want to avoid the new tab page entirely, go to about:config and set browser.newtab.url to about:blank.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

xamphear posted:

Not sure about the current release version of Firefox, but the nightlies have a small button in the upper right that hides the thumbnails. Click it and it sets browser.newtabpage.enabled to false and you're basically left with about :blank.

Yeah, that option is there as well. The method I posted is for those who want to make it more inaccessible.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Dice Dice Baby posted:

Or set browser.newtabpage.enabled to false :science:

That's a little different; it's equivalent to hitting the little toggle button on the new tab page. The setting I was talking about keeps you from seeing the toggle at all.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

kapalama posted:

I am open to suggstions as to a replacement for Gmail Manager.

Well what's the crucial feature that has kept you from the alternatives?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

sauer kraut posted:

Something ugly is going on since I installed Flash 11.3 on Firefox 13.

Embedded videos like Youtube get all corrupted and squashed up when scrolling past them, gotta minimize/restore the window to fix it temporarily.
Needless to say it's very annoying when browsing these very forums.

Original

Thanks Flash

I'm getting this on both of my computers. I'm trying to find other reports of this bug, but I'm mostly finding complaints about Flash not working at all.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I don't think any amount of graphical glitches would make me risk using an old version of Flash.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Jippa posted:

I'm using 13.0.1. In the last few weeks (I think) images and embedded youtube vids will look like this some times when I scroll down quickly, it's not every time but enough:

Is this even firefox related I can't even think of a word that describes that to google, is is tearing?

It's a known issue with Flash.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Jippa posted:

Ah,ok thanks, will it be patched?

One would hope, but I haven't heard anything about a timeframe. It has been suggested in this thread that disabling protected mode might hide this bug like it does with some others from the most recent Flash update, but making Flash even less secure for the sake of a graphical glitch seems like a bad tradeoff to me.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

kapalama posted:

3. What are the steps to set it so that I cannot accidentally quit Firefox. The old ones were
But they make no difference now. (Chastened and embarassed by his outburst.)

I believe it's browser.showQuitWarning

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

theshim posted:

Huuuurk. Little help here.

My Firefox appears to have updated to 14. Apparently 14 no longer handles history the same way. I delete my non-work related history after work every day (paranoid :tinfoil:), but it seems that the history no longer shows pages that get redirected, as I noticed when I typed in an f and got "forums.somethingawful.com" showing up.

Is there any way to delete those entries from my history without wiping my history entirely? I hate having to do that. :(

Just highlight them and hit delete. Edit: if this is what's not working anymore, you can also delete from the address bar; scroll down to whatever suggested URL is a problem and tap delete. Works for any autocomplete list, I'm pretty sure.

Of course, they don't really need to rely on your local browser history to see where you're going :tinfoil:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Gondus posted:

Something is wrong when your browser is using up to 3 gigs of memory.

Would you rather that programs not use available memory?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Drunk Badger posted:

That looks pretty good, I'll have to try that when I get back to work.

I'd try it now, but I just realized I'm running Firefox 2.0.0.20 on the computer I'm stuck using for the weekend. I hope there's a good reason for this :pray:

If you want to avoid modifying the software on that computer for whatever reason, you could drop a copy of Firefox Portable on it and delete it when you're done with the machine.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

You know that tabs on top is objectively better, right? You can think it looks worse or whatever, but it is unquestionably more efficient.

You mind explaining that a bit?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Even without the titlebar, flicking up to the top of a vertically maximized window would just get me a resize cursor, so the Fitts's Law argument isn't working for me.

Edit: this is what happens when I stop to take a screenshot.

Toast Museum fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 9, 2012

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

homercles posted:

Ok some quick questions.

What did I enable for this to happen for all flash content? I don't want to disable it, I can't figure out what I did in the firefox settings to disable it. No addons were enabled at time of screenshot.

Also, what is causing this popup in the location bar? It is happening in the current version of Nightly (was not with yesterday's nightly). Each time I go to a site with flash it's prompting me with that window and takes focus, it seems to grab mouse control too so it's rather intrusive. Again, no addons.

Check plugins.click_to_play

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

NihilCredo posted:

I don't suppose there's any magic trick to make Firefox stop being such a CPU/resource hogger when it's loading a new page? It makes my music player skip and scratch every time (any music player), in extreme cases even semi-freezing the mouse cursor. I can perform intensive tasks in Photoshop or Mathematica and nothing like that happens.

Have you tried a clean install with a new profile, and add-ons installed one at a time to see if one of them is at fault? The desktop I'm posting on is like five years old and I'm getting nothing like that.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Is there any way to get Aurora for Android to update without prompting me?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Im_Special posted:

So after updating to the latest version 26.0, it seems Download Statusbar no longer works, does anyone have a good replacement for this addon that brings back similar functionality?

It's still working for me, as far as I can tell. Maybe you're on an older version of the addon?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
So middle-clicking forward/back/reload doesn't do anything anymore, huh?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

The Dave posted:

Is anyone one add-on the go to add-on for changing a site's CSS? Basically I want to completely redesign these forums for my own usage.

Sounds like a job for Stylish.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

drunken officeparty posted:

This just happened to me today and it is terrible and is going to make me kill myself

I'm getting this too, and it's pretty obnoxious.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Well, that explains where most of my addons went this morning. Thanks!

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Nalin posted:

the black image bug

I get this on my phone, but I had no idea it was a thing on desktop Firefox as well. It does seem to have been going on for a while now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

37 seems to have broken All-In-One Gestures. Last update was a couple years ago nearly, so I'm not holding my breath. Recommendations for a replacement? Apart from the gestures, I use the right-button "rocker" navigation to switch through tabs. But that's not a deal breaker.

I only use a couple of gestures, but FireGestures works for me.