Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

wät?

another angle, but still: wät?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Look, its impossible to know how walls are going to line up.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

That is a perfectly normal tree.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Strong "we built this out of whatever was left laying around after the house was finished" vibes.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Just build until all the sides meet up

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Shifty Pony posted:

Yes that black going into the backstab is from the panel and is used to feed everything else in the box.

Why does it look to my brain like it’s a single hot leg switched three times? I get the 4-conductor exiting the box must for a three-way switch, but what else is happening here? :psyduck:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

mr.belowaverage posted:

Why does it look to my brain like it’s a single hot leg switched three times? I get the 4-conductor exiting the box must for a three-way switch, but what else is happening here? :psyduck:

Because they daisy-chained the hot sides of the switches together using a single wire with little sections of insulation cut off with a knife instead of using pigtails.

The upper left cable is the supply to the box. The lower cable is supply to an outlet which until I opened up that box was switched using the leftmost switch. The newer 14/3 cable at the top center goes to the overhead lights with the red wire controlling the main lights and the black controlling some accent lights over the front window.

Note that there is no ground connected to any of the switches, despite the box being plastic. That, the screws to hold the wrong type of box in, the removal of the built-in clamps for the box, using backstabs as a junction, and the middle-stripped daisy chaining are all characteristics of whoever did the work two owners ago. At least this time the cyonnected the ground wires for all the cables entering and leaving the box, on a few of them they didn't bother to do that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

C'mon now, why wouldn't you just cut off a bit more of the door? Weird construction is great, but that looks terrible.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

look at the frame right of the door, that and the one above are two boards they had to make odd cuts in instead of just cutting off a bigger corner from the door. The nails on the top of the door make me think there's a frame of 2x4s on the other side, and that they didn't want to cut through this, but this assumes they made the door before the dang shed (which...tracks with the rest of the logic here).

It's fascinating, trying to reverse-engineer how and why they did...all of this. I could spend hours just on the big window in the other picture. Why is it so low on the wall? Did they cut and install that diagonal brace before thinking about the window? Did they only have like a dozen 2x4s and once they cut them they couldn't/wouldn't get more? Who made these choices? Why?

e: I'm now thinking it was intended to be a full A-frame but they didn't want to cut the tree branches overhead so they came to this...compromise for the weird roof. This whole shed is like the programming equivalent of "99 bugs to fix. Fix one, compile it, 117 bugs to fix".

Dance McPants fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 9, 2024

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
"How to child-proof this gap?"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zesty posted:

Make smarter children. :colbert:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Zesty posted:

Since this is Crappy Construction, once the first child gets stuck no other children will be able to get stuck.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Gas station bathrooms in southern Missouri and northern Arkansas, ft tool socks and hi viz reflective shoes.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Zesty posted:

The classy and safe answer is a built in custom built linen cabinet that consumes all of the dangerous space and then some.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
This is the crappy construction thread - use expanding foam.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Gas station bathrooms in southern Missouri and northern Arkansas, ft tool socks and hi viz reflective shoes.

But this is art.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

So what's going on here? I'm trying to figure out why you would need that much larger of an area around the drain. Did they install the drain after they had already tiled a chunk of the floor and needed extra room around it to work or what?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The rest of the floor is not sloped enough for the water to drain out. They only slope the immediate area around the drain so there won't be a puddle. The rest of the floor gets clean with the mop. Pretty common in many commercial places.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Nitrox posted:

The rest of the floor is not sloped enough for the water to drain out. They only slope the immediate area around the drain so there won't be a puddle. The rest of the floor gets clean with the mop. Pretty common in many commercial places.

Thanks, that makes a lot more sense.

And arguably makes that not crappy construction.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

As someone who has lived in the former, the latter is present everywhere there too.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

Thanks, that makes a lot more sense.

And arguably makes that not crappy construction.

It's the floor of a gas station bathroom, i guarantee there's crap on everything in that picture

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

wät?

another angle, but still: wät?

:tenbux: says the owner drives one of these

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

pathetic. get on THIS level

(the whole house is ....interesting)

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Mx. posted:

pathetic. get on THIS level

(the whole house is ....interesting)

With just a bit a lot more focus and restraint that could have been really cool.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The only crappy construction I see is the size of that shower stall.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sirotan posted:

The only crappy construction I see is the size of that shower stall.

That's the pisstall, the shower is behind the camera.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Just had my shower replaced due to a leak causing water damage. Insurance almost paid enough to replace it. Hired a local company that does mostly this sort of work.

First, they tore out the old shower incompletely. Then they hired a plumber to change the crappy old drain out. The plumber tells me he will be here at 3:00 on my day off and then he no-shows me completely with no communication. The next morning the shower guys show up to start the install. They say “well the plumber didn’t do this yet so we can’t start” and I ask them to please get the plumber in if they can, and in the meantime I tell them they can replace the water-damaged area. They say they will do that when they get started on the rest of the job. The plumber arrives five hours later to do that drain and makes a gigantic mess doing it. Install is rescheduled for six days later, which was today.

The guys show up today and I walk back with them. The guy says “we will start with yadda yadda yadda” which prompts me to say that maybe he should replace the damaged area first while I point out all the affected areas. He says he will do that when he gets to the drywalling, etc.

I go back in there a few times and they make progress on the shower itself without replacing the damaged areas. I point them out again and the guy gets a little annoyed with me and says “I’m just not there yet!”

I have to pick up my daughter and make dinner. The guy approaches as I finish dinner and says “all done!” I walk back there with him and the shower is in fact installed over the water damage. The drywall outside the shower stall is still damaged and flimsy, with veins of swelling from the water. The bottom area that was damaged completely through in a small hole on each side was covered with awkwardly-placed small marble sheets.

Me: “ None of this is replaced. All of the damage I pointed out is still here.”

Him: “I wouldn’t even have what I need to do that right now.”

Me: “That was the whole point of this! Why would I rip out a shower for water damage just to lay a new shower over the water damage?!”

Him: “You’ll have to talk to (boss) on that then.”

Me, pointing : “did you replace these molded studs we discussed?”

Him: “… No. You’ll have to talk to (boss). I didn’t even know all of that until I got here”
That last line was another blatant lie for numerous reasons (you were here six days ago discussing this with me!), and it pissed me off.

So I try to call his boss. No answer at the office. I realize he has hopped into his truck and left while I was calling. I run outside, but he is gone.

No, I haven’t paid them a penny as of yet. Incompetence is one thing (their other work wasn’t great either), but lying is another.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

love that the good ol 'just hop in your truck and run for it' technique is such a mainstay among terrible contractors. Had much the same thing from the guy I hired to trim a branch overhanging the house who promptly dropped it square on my roof and tore out a bunch of shingles; didn't help the dude who hosed up building a wall so bad the city inspector made me give him my phone so he could call him up and yell at him though

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 12, 2024

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

This is why I really appreciate my GC even though our project is going horribly off the rails (kitchen reno now at $60k unexpected costs. He will become a complete pitbull to anyone who isn’t responsive to us or getting us what we want. He’s also just been really empathetic while also being your typical Delco dude covered in tats and talking about running to BJJ training.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

The Dave posted:

This is why I really appreciate my GC even though our project is going horribly off the rails (kitchen reno now at $60k unexpected costs. He will become a complete pitbull to anyone who isn’t responsive to us or getting us what we want. He’s also just been really empathetic while also being your typical Delco dude covered in tats and talking about running to BJJ training.

did your kitchen turn out to be missing a foundation or something?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
At this point in my life if a contractor shows up regularly and isn’t an absolutely incompetent piece of poo poo I consider them craftsmen of the highest order

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Scratch Monkey posted:

At this point in my life if a contractor shows up regularly and isn’t an absolutely incompetent piece of poo poo I consider them craftsmen of the highest order

Yeah the decorator I just used because I didn't have the time to do the whole job (or, more accurately, I would not have got away with avoiding childcare for the time required) turned up in time, was quick, and relatively cheap. Now, I am having to go back and fix stuff he was lazy about (primarily not smoothing/fixing defects before painting), but I can live with that given the rest of it.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
What's a decorator?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Nitrox posted:

What's a decorator?

a structural pattern that allows adding new behaviors to objects dynamically by placing them inside special wrapper objects

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Nitrox posted:

What's a decorator?

person you pay to decorate your house, paint etc

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

did your kitchen turn out to be missing a foundation or something?

Actually yes. Turned out our kitchen was really just mostly a porch decades ago and the foundation for the exterior walls were unmortored cinder blocks sitting on some loose shallow concrete and dirt. So no proper support and some unforeseen plumping issues had also rotted the poo poo out of the sill plate. On top of that the exterior walls were framed with 2x4s so we had to pay to support the existing second floor, excavate out, put up a new block foundation and pour a pad plus the time and costs to have that plan drawn up and approved by the township.

Original bid: $60k / 4 weeks
Current expected final costs: $120-130k
Timeline: 4 weeks in and have yet to begun the original scope

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

The Dave posted:

Actually yes. Turned out our kitchen was really just mostly a porch decades ago and the foundation for the exterior walls were unmortored cinder blocks sitting on some loose shallow concrete and dirt. So no proper support and some unforeseen plumping issues had also rotted the poo poo out of the sill plate. On top of that the exterior walls were framed with 2x4s so we had to pay to support the existing second floor, excavate out, put up a new block foundation and pour a pad plus the time and costs to have that plan drawn up and approved by the township.

Original bid: $60k / 4 weeks
Current expected final costs: $120-130k
Timeline: 4 weeks in and have yet to begun the original scope

gently caress that sucks

good luck dude

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
$60k sounds pretty reasonable all of a sudden.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

All of a sudden I am envious of my friends that have very simple, straight forward, cookie-cutter houses that were built in the last 50 years.

We're super fortunate that we can afford it and have a generous HELOC open if we really want to thin out how long we pay for it. However it's going to kill any ambitious projects we wanted to do for quite some time and all that cost isn't getting us an amazing top of the line kitchen. We're still going to have the same constraints and compromises the original quote did we just know for sure the floor will stop sagging and the walls won't blow over if a wolf comes by.

One of the bigger things I'm kicking myself over is opting for a 15 year mortgage when we refi-ed in 2021 because the extra like .5% in interest savings seemed so attractable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mx. posted:

gently caress that sucks

good luck dude