Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Let he who has not drunkenly puked and poo poo himself cast the first stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

they were replaced with trendy shelves

Also I'm like 80% sure I stayed in at least one, maybe two apartments with that exact kitchen in the early 00s.

One of them might have been a house rental split with 4 other people.

It's those cabinets and that rounded island. That poo poo's seared into a part of my memory that I didn't know existed until I saw those photos.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Orvin posted:

They did a lot of work on the lower cabinets too. The dishwasher got moved (you can barely see it to the left of the sink) to make room for the microwave down below. With the fridge and oven out of frame, that makes for a super lovely work triangle.

That's not a kitchen for working in, it's a kitchen for putting the take-out on the counter at the end of the work day. The whole thing just screams "married couple of 20-30 something DINKs."

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

iv46vi posted:

Windows don’t count as a finish :) so tell bob to grab whatever is on sale at Home Depot siding section and we’ll slap it on this corner.

Is there anything that says the finish has to stay on? Could you grab some cheap trim and put it along the edge of something then take it off later?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Crunchy Black posted:

who gives a poo poo about the money or the fact that they are your parents. Fix your house. Yesterday. What the gently caress.

Some landlords get lovely about people asking for repairs, even if it's the kind of thing that will save them money in the long run. This can lead to lovely stuff like having to find a new apartment when they don't want to renew your lease (because they just put a bunch of money in and now want a more lucrative tennant) or in this case family drama I guess.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I swear some people think it's part of the thing or that it's protective and if they take it off their "investment" will get hosed or something.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

thats an expensive range hood they've got there but the stove top isn't

Gotta admit, I'm jealous as hell of that range hood. Looks like you could roast a pig on a spit under that without smoking up the next room.

Of course, given what thread it's in, even money it vents into the attic.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

What gets me is why does someone buy some historic mansion just to gut it and make it into something completely different? If it were a little bungalo, sure, that's in the range where it can be economical to buy in a style you hate but a neighborhood you love and and just redo it. But if you're spending mansion bucks, why buy a fixer upper? It's like putting body kits on a lambo to make it look like a ferrari.

And I don't even particularly like the original! Sure the woodwork is cool, but the whole thing is oppressively brown.

Because it's a large house in a part of town that you want to live in, in a very desirable city, with a great view etc. It's not like there's going to be another mansion sized building that ticks all those boxes and a modern interior down the block.

In your analogy you live in Cuba and that lambo is one of three on the island that somehow got in and if you want a performance car that's what you're getting, so time to slap on a Ferrari badge.

FWIW I love the original interior and despise the new one.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Fair enough. I tend to think of mansions as being on big tracts of land away from anything else, floating in the abstract void that rich people tend to occupy for me, but now that I actually engage my brain being an hour outside of a major city is different from being an hour outside Eufala, Alabama.

That's just it, though: It's not an hour outside a major city.

It's smack dab in the middle of SF, literally about a 2 minute walk from the edge of The Presidio / Golden Gate Park. Also about 45 minute walk from downtown if you can't stand to be in your car for 10 minutes. It's the sort of place a billionaire buys so they can walk to work in the morning.

You'd be challenged to find more expensive real estate anywhere in the US. If it was a tin shack sitting on a superfund site it would still get bought and have a multi-million dollar mansion built on it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

8one6 posted:

Why would you paint that?

To make it look “more modern.”

poo poo there’s someone in the small questions thread right now asking how to unfuck a painted brick fireplace.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm very sorry but I'm not gonna not use it if I've spent all that time puzzling out how I possibly still could.

It takes you that long to think up "piss in the hole?"

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Saint Freak posted:

"parcel is remote but close to pavement"

Oh, ok.

That just means it’s in the middle of nowhere but has easy access to a paved road.

Basically reassuring you that it’s not some patch of desert 50 miles from a real road.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Never thougth I'd be able to say this in this thread, but check out the academia thread for a bunch of people making fun of that monstrosity, or as it is now known Kowloon Walled Dormitory

Also I found one little flaw in the design, it's subtle so I drew a diagram:

Cyrano4747 posted:

Also I think I find a slight problem with the design of those interior clusters. See, the thing on the far side, opposite the door is pretty obviously a sink, which means that the box next to it is the dishwasher.

Which means the stove must be that thing at the other side, next to the fridge

Here, it's a complex issue so I've mocked up a diagram to explain the problem:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

On the upside, with only two entrances it will be easy for the students to barricade and extremely defensible when they riot and present a list of demands.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

What is the point of protesting when there is no way to fix this? They can't put windows in later. There isn't any spare space to expand or change anything. An entire pod has a single point of emergency egress and there is no way to fix that. Even if you tear out all the interior walls and redesign the space it is still a cube with the minimum possible surface area.

They only thing that can be done is build new dorms and tear this abomination down, and that won't be in the budget or they would just have built sane buildings in the first place.

Sometimes the point is to create a big enough mess that you embarrass the gently caress out of the people in charge and gently caress near anything gets done. Your typical prison riot doesn't have a high probability of enacting meaningful reform, but it still underscores what's hosed.

It's worth noting that in this instance buying a poo poo load of doublewides and parking them in literally any empty field, parking lot, or sports field would be an improvement.

Napkin math and lazy googling says that a doublwide costs about ~900,000. If we assume you can squeeze 4 people in there (not an insane assumption, plus you're probably getting bespoke trailers for this huge as gently caress contract) that's ~$112million to just put everyone in a gently caress-off huge trailer park.

Which, you know, is extremely significant and has you basically bending over and paying retail, but it's still a drat sight cheaper than the $200 million MegaCityDorm One being pitched here.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

File photo of one of the new dorm's RAs:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Slanderer posted:

you have a mod’s understanding of California property and construction costs. let me just do some back of the napkin math on buying single story space for 4500 people in downtown Santa Barbara, factoring in environmental assessments (assuming no locals use the CEQA to block the project!) and… oh gently caress

Edit: wait it’s on the outskirts. maybe a bit pricey the

counterpoint: the university already owns a fuckload of land in the area, just bulldoze the third practice football field or something

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I mean, or, I dunno, radical thinking here, build a few dorm buildings on the same land that are only the normal grade of dehumanizing giant student storage rather than trailblazing new paths into dystopia.

I've lived in some gently caress awful housing in my life, and some of it was provided by educational institutions, but they all managed a bare minimum of poo poo like "giving me a window" and "safe fire egress."

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

RoastBeef posted:

I lived in a four- and eight-person dorm and both had reasonably complete apartment kitchens (refrigerator, dishwasher, stove, byo microwave).

It really, really depends on what the people who built it thought of the likely lives of the students. It's entirely in the realm of what some architect imagines people doing.

I've lived in a standard dorm hall where you were expected to just walk to the cafeteria a few blokes over and there was a communal kitchen with a microwave. Worked fine.

On the same campus I lived in a dorm that had an integral dining hall for special interest dining groups and you were expected to go there and socialize with other nerds interested in your thing . That worked too. It was it's own brand of weird, but it was fine if you value eating dining hall food while geeking out about specific subjects with other like minded dorks (I very much did).

Same campus, I lived in a detached "apartment" that had access to a microwave like a quarter mile away, was about a mile from a dining hall, and had loving awful routes to walk to get to any of that. By the end of that semester I was on a first name basis with the pizza delivery guys and was tipping them in :420: Not an ideal situaton.

Meanwhile in grad school I saw someone's university provided grad-school apartment/dorm that was basically my freshman dorm with a solo bathroom and the world's shittiest kitchen that they expected this dude, his wife, and his two kids to somehow live in. The really hosed part is that he could have gotten a halfway decent 2br apartment for what they were charging him for it, but he was foreign so I guess he just went with what his trusted institution was offering.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

What is it with people not staining fences? I’ve seen that a ton recently and I don’t know if it’s a new thing or if it’s because I’m just noticing etc.

Did HGTV decide weathered, gross pine boards are rustic flair or something?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

JFC that picture in that article of the dude holding the water filter with chunks of visibly poo poo-stained TP on it.

edit: here, got un-lazy for half a sec:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

kid sinister posted:

Finished the kitchen, honey!

There has to be some kind of spite backstory to this.

This is the kind of job you do when you're legally obligated to install cabinets for someone you hate.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

BonerGhost posted:

Is he aware that when you pay for one of those staterooms, it's for a couple weeks max and in the meantime you're going to vacation spots?

Like if he's going to compare the cube to a Disney cruise, where's the mouse? When's the breakfast buffet? Does housekeeping offer turndown service?

More to the point, there's a ton of poo poo that's mildly inconvenient and even charming when you're doing it voluntarily but is inhumane to force on someone.

Sleeping in a tent in the woods and making GBS threads in a hole you dug can be a really fun getaway if you're into camping, but building a giant homeless camp wouldn't be optimal for student housing either.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Also like Mr. Billionaire has ever been anywhere near the window-less interior state rooms on a cruise poo poo. Maybe he read a brochure about them while sitting on the fantail suite, but more likely he read the brochure while sitting in the stateroom of his yacht. Comparing your windowless cell to a Disney cruise stateroom is some serious "how much could a banana cost, Michael" energy.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I don't know who you are but get the gently caress out of my Fallout 4 save file.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Blistex posted:

I don't know if I am misinterpreting the scale, but that looked way to small for a useful fireplace. It looks like it would have to be restocked every 15 minutes to even begin to approach being a meaningful source of heat. Making it entirely impractical.

You see coal fireplaces that small. Think of it less like a roaring fireplace that's going to heat your entire hunting lodge or cavernous sitting room and more like a space heater that you're using to make a 10 x 15 foot room not suck as much during the winter.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Here's a picture of a somewhat larger one, but still smaller than we think of fireplaces generally.

Google around for "Victorian coal fireplace" and you'll start to see them.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Top right bottom left bottom right top left center.

Learn how to google noob pretty sure you can find this in a 1998 vintage gamefaqs walkthrough.txt

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

StormDrain posted:

I'd call off work for the week, and move. That's terrifyingly close. That was so violent it wouldn't have even hurt.

Only if you took a direct hit. What freaks me out is that it looks like it would have barely missed him or just clipped him, which is where you can get life-altering injury type poo poo.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Proclick link. There's a lot of donkey jokes.

My donkey was not destined to run quickly; he was destined to bray!

A donkey beating its penis against its belly.

For a donkey there is no stench. For a donkey there is no washing with soap.

A widow donkey distinguishes itself by breaking wind.

big :same:

TIL I'm a Sumerian donkey.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

"I am one whose fate has not been determined, confronted by a waif. 'I will be the one who knows how to settle the account; let me take my position in front of you,' she said to me."

Sumerian Breaking Bad was waaaaaay different.

Breaking Akkad

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I read an article about it yesterday and apparently the view was SUPER underwhelming. I saw one comment that you could get a better view by just going to an office building a few miles away.

Also some city councilman who was a huge booster is still saying it was all worth the tens of millions of pounds they spent on it because it drove foot traffic during the vital pandemic days. Sure, buddy. People went out of their way to visit that thing to the point that it stimulated the local economy more than just taking that money and giving it to random citizens would have done.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Darchangel posted:

Pretty sure that's literally an OSHA violation. WTF?

edit: loving hell, new page. Edited for context.

I'll guarantee some idiot manager was annoyed at having to constantly refill consumables like bandaids.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Platystemon posted:

:thunk:

I think that this Redditor’s house may have some build quality issues.

I'm pretty sure that's not actually growing out of the baseboard. That looks like the seed husk on the bottom of that sprout. I think that's just some seedling someone set on their baseboard or, being generous, somehow managed to find enough moisture to germinate while sitting there.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I'll take your word for it, I'm still not seeing it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Computer viking posted:

(Sweden never built a nuke, but they had the dual-use reactors, materials, local uranium production, knowledge, and the bomber to carry one, in case the Soviets got too worrisome. They eventually canceled the plans and handed the spiciest metals over to the IAEA.)

Read that as IKEA at first

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Tell me you swing without telling me you swing.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Crappy construction: Honestly I expected more stripper poles.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

8one6 posted:

"We found something."
"Would it hinder the project in any way?"
"Maybe."
"Then no you didn't."

Yeah it’s 100% this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Dareon posted:

Well, at least they're honest.

So obviously that guy did the bit where he patched in that black cable or hose or whatever, but I'm more wondering about who did the initial install.

Because look at that gray glop around where the box connects to the wall.

Black glob guy might not be proud, but he clearly gave more fucks than gray glob guy.