Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Zhentar posted:

So they converted a general travel lane to a second HOV lane, raised the HOV requirement to the strictest allowed. They decided to spend millions to add toll access too; the tolls will pay for the cost of collecting tolls.

gently caress the carpool tax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

If you feel tingling in your head you're too close to the shower and/or need to wear thicker shower shoes.

It's ok you turn on the light by pressing the "reset" button on the GFCI.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

`Nemesis posted:

A friend of mine inherited a house that was built prior to grounded outlets being a thing.

She has asked me if I can update a select number of outlets to be three prong.

Is there a guideline for how to do this properly? I would assume that simply swapping two prong outlets to three prong is dumb, but I also don't want to stumble into rewiring a whole house either.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3090739&pagenumber=49&perpage=40#post399240083

A very nice* goon wrote this up.

* Surly

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I was wrong, ignore this post.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 27, 2016

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

kid sinister posted:

Nope. Leperflesh was right. Wire nuts are for covering twisted wires.

Edited it out since it's on a previous page. The shame is unbearable.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

OSU_Matthew posted:

That's because you guys have metric electrons, right? :v:

Though in all seriousness, I wonder if it's because your residential voltage is 240 vs our 120? I could definitely see that being justification for different safety related limitations.

This is a stupid question from someone with a very lay understanding of electricity, but is UK's 240v household electric single phase? Or is it split phase like the US?

Their plugs are all fused iirc, which is cool.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Why don't British houses just have the scandinavian boiling water taps if they're so obsessed with tea?

But why would you put boiling water into the kettle?! :psyduck:

The concept of 3kW kettles boggles my mind. We used to do 6.6kW (2x20A@208v) server racks at work. That is basically one PDU worth of power, just to make hot water quickly.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Zhentar posted:

If you didn't watch the youtube posted earlier, the UK power grid uniquely experiences huge spikes in demand that they call "TV pickups", caused by hundreds of thousands of people switching on their tea kettles at the end of TV shows. On a daily basis, over the course of of five minutes, grid demands will spike up by hundreds of megawatts. Special events will cause spikes on the order of gigawatts. To deal with it, they had to develop the fastest responding power generation in the world, a pumped storage system that can go from zero to 1.3GW in 12 seconds (compared to typical "fast response" power plants that take 5+ minutes to start up)n

I've watched/read similar articles about UKs electric kettle surges. I had never put it together in my head. Over here the largest common outlet is 1800W (15A@120V) and even then saying "1.8kW" is absurd. (I feel most kitchens even if run on a 20A breaker/wire still use 15A receptacles.)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I love my Dyson. I also read the manual and clean the filter regularly. If for no other reason I find emptying the canister to be so much easier than a bag and it seems to filter the air just fine.

For many years of my life I lived in a home where my dad installed a central vac, which makes all other vacuum posturing moot. So what if it doesn't filter the air perfectly, it's exhausting outside, and the interior noise is nearly nothing. That said you better wear ear protection if you go near the motor.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
http://i.imgur.com/jgupAd5.gifv

:suspense:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GotLag posted:

Is he just letting go of the chainsaw?

Because that's what is wrong in that video.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

(It had the red scrawl on it on reddit, where it is claimed to have been found on facebook.)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

some_admin posted:

Does anyone here (USA) have professional knowledge of NFPA part 54?

My RInnai direct vent gas furnace is installed in the basement, and says that must adhere to NFPA 54.
I signed up at NFPA and read it a few times, from what I can tell, this means that the exhaust gas vent extensions cannot be mounted where they not inspectable, and that joints in the vent extensions cannot be concealed.

Of course, mine are installed behind the drywall, no access without ripping out drywall.

Just curious if I am understanding the NFPA part 54 correctly.

The Rinnai installation manual shows the pipes routed outside the drywall in a basement installation.

Check out this thread where a variety of goons will tell you about your imminent demise from carbon monoxide poisoning: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734407

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

some_admin posted:

Yep, thats exactly the kind of thing I am worried about. Imminent CO poisoning OR the house burning down. OR both.

We're super aggravated because the HVAC *contractor put these Rinnai heaters in with too long of a pipe and too many elbows and now the flame chamber and heat exchanger are
rusting out 5 years into ~20 year lifespan.

* = supposedly RInnai certified, at the top of their website for local installers.

Call Rinnai and say you are worried their certified installer did not do the job up to code?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Forgive me thread for I have sinned. While I understand the concept I do not know the reference for the motorcycle/concrete joke.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Excellent.

Also the tesla-salvage-battery-off-grid-PV guy is amazing but in a good way so far, 17 pages in to the thread and he seems extremely concerned with making sure it's all by the book with permits. Crazy to have that many kWh of Lithium in his basement, but still cool.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

kid sinister posted:

Good Lord. How big was your family?

Wistfully recalling how much I ate as a pubescent male I am terrified of our food bills in 13 years. By 18 years old 3,000 kcals/day while maintaining my weight was a "light" day.

Edit: I used to drink 64oz of Mott's apple juice a day. I have no idea how I didn't get type 2 diabetes.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 17, 2016

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Well? Was it hot? Lick your fingers and find out.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Cakefool posted:

Discretely though. You can drill through drywall with a spoon.

A hand drill and a jig like you see them use in the movies for safe cracking.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
We use to live in front of a swamp bird sanctuary in Florida. I fondly remember digging infinitely deep post holes by hand as footers for a retaining wall to keep our pool from becoming one with the swamp. I have no idea how well it was built as I was in elementary school at the time, but I do remember the sheer volume of cement, huge pieces of lumber, and long wooden posts my dad kept bringing home.

The fence behind it all was rotting away and falling over but it was hard to repair in a certain segment because a giant gator had taken up residence behind it and was pushing it over. They really do bark just like dogs.

Ours is the pool abutting the swamp bird sanctuary. The lower right black area is the start of a large lake. Not pictured / hard to see is the easy 6-10' elevation drop from the back of the pool deck to the swamp. It was often flooded with a foot of standing water (hello mosquitoes), always mucky, and often smoldering. There is also a AM radio tower there which we could hear through any metal surface in the house using a PC speaker and alligator clips, as well as through the phone, often louder than your conversation. I think we twice got them in trouble for broadcasting above their power limit, once substantially above, which made it much easier to hear your phone conversations and use a modem.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

I'm trying to justify this as a commercial style wash/rinse/sanitize type setup......but the surrounding area seems to demonstrate enough cash that they weren't trying to make it out of things they found at Habitat for Humanity ReStore like I do. And then....there's the 4th sink. Sterilize?

Wet bar, hence the filter.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Alereon posted:

Yeah I guess :shobon: I would be more embarrassed about it except for how ridiculously well it works compared to commercial products. "Lifehacky" stuff generally doesn't actually work for poo poo.

I'm mainly slapping myself for spending far too much money on a 3M pleated filter air filter.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Alereon posted:

Nordic Pure sells filters factory-direct, you can get whatever size and filtration level you want at very reasonable prices. If you aren't too picky they also do clearance sales on Amazon continuously, I got a 2-pack of filters that would have been $20 each for $10 total that way.

I bought this when I moved into our house: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ESP09E/ I have to change them every 2 months or they start restricting airflow. I'm going to ease up on the filtration next go around. When I get through this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BKODZN4/ (Bought at $70/4) I'm going to switch to nordic ones. We don't use it that much anymore now that we don't have a bird.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Alereon posted:

Oh yeah if you only have a 1" thick filter MERV12 isn't going to work for poo poo, look at the Tru Mini Pleated filters. MERV11 Tru Mini should last about twice as long, if you've been tolerating that pressure drop you could probably use a MERV8 Tru Mini for even longer. As the filter ages small particle performance will drop as the electrets (like magnets but for electrostatic fields) get coated, but >1um filtering performance actually goes up.

The tiny rear end table on comparative pressure drops of various types of filters on this page is super interesting/useful, in my opinion.

E: Of course all of the above depends on how much pressure your system can actually push and how much airflow it requires, but I'm going to assume a system that accepts 1" thick filters is kind of old and not really meant for high performance filters, else it would accept thicker filters. I'm no HVAC expert I just learned a shitton about air filters.

Got me! Our "home energy audit" said we were getting most of our CFM. The system was most recently replaced in 2009, but the furnace/blower is in the attic, so the filter is in the hallway. I'm likely just shortening the life of the blower motor / increasing our electric bill. I should run it without a filter for an hour and see if it gets any colder.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MG3 posted:

A clear filter isn't going to cause it to work too hard.

It's when the filter is making noise so loud we have to turn up the TV and realize it's flexing inwards that I wonder this.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

ExplodingSims posted:

I do commercial HVACR work here in Florida.

You can put a gallon bucket under a condensate drain of an RTU here and watch in fill up in about 10 minutes. Humidity is crazy bad here.

My bedroom in central Florida flooded because of a backed up condensate drain. It was impressive to see it in action. Normally there was a steady trickle of water our of the hose when the unit was running.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

I hope he found what he was looking for! :v:

Do not look behind any bookshelf, cabinet, or actual shelf I have mounted/anchored. :v:

OSU_Matthew posted:

I almost did the same thing to the screws included with the new handles I put in, but in a rare moment of better judgement, I went ahead and threaded two nuts onto each bolt, clamped them up one at a time, and shortened each and every one with a hacksaw, and then chased the threads out with the nuts to clean them up. Took awhile, but it was easy, cheap, and the results were worth it.

We bought some decorative pulls where the bolt side was 5" long. Put em on, marked the spot, and used the screw cutting holes in my cheap wire strippers to cut them to size, then hit it with the metal file to take the sharp end off, and chased the nuts off to clean the thread like you did. Works like a charm. The site claims they are 1.75" long, but I trimmed more than 2" off every one of them:

http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/home-hardware-knobs/870066.jsp#/

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

I know this is a joke, but only doors counted as (and legitimately) egress need to do that in commercial.

For residential, where you aren't expected to have a caretaker outside while you are inside egress doors open inward. I would really suck rear end if you couldn't open any of your doors after an overnight snowfall.......

I can think of one building in Pasadena, CA which has its only door opens inwards. I assume there is a second door in the rear of the store. It used to be a cash-for-gold place, now it's a UPS Store. No idea how they got it permitted, maybe it has something to do with the 6" drop to the sidewalk. ADA be damned!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/T...1321537!6m1!1e1

The windows still have CASH 4 GOLD decal residue.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 25, 2016

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Javid posted:

It's heeeeere!

Love those outlets.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Where are the higher resolution pictures coming from? I went there and it's all small pictures.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Zhentar posted:

Tumblr has deemed you unworthy of the full res images scaled in browser to 700px wide and instead is sending you images downscaled server side to 500px, because that's the kind of poo poo Tumblr does.

I am so triggered right now.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Alereon posted:

Why do mcmansions have more bathrooms than bedrooms? Does each bedroom have a private bath plus one or two shared for company?

This is a great feature in my opinion, having lived in an awful modern ultra-cheap faux-luxury condo which had 2br 2.5ba. Both en-suite and a half downstairs. For the thread: The toilet was placed such that you couldn't open all of the cabinets in the bathroom.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Hi construction thread! I went in my back yard today for the first time in 2 weeks and noticed this, no idea how long it's been that way:

Bonus vintage 1946ish galvanized supply line for my house:

(In less crappy construction, maybe more McMansion news, the final count was 85 yards of concrete poured at my dads house for his driveway and patio.)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Hi construction thread! I went in my back yard today for the first time in 2 weeks and noticed this, no idea how long it's been that way:

Welp.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Atticus_1354 posted:

I was going to say that is an easy fix after your first picture, but now maybe not. Hopefully the collapse didn't cause extra roof damage. Does that beam just support the roof overhang? You should get someone out pronto who can jack that up and replace the beam. It would also be a good time to see if any of those rafters need to be replaced. That seems like a small beam for that distance, but it is hard to tell from pictures.

Oh yes. What you see is what you get on that structure. The general plan was to hit up home depot first thing tomorrow for something to hold it up until a real repair could be made.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Jealous Cow posted:

I was gonna say "shower tension rod" but that works too.

Done and done!

This is the "temporary" solution my dad came up with until he can come back. We're going to put another 16' 2x6 beam on the bottom, re-cut the posts, and add the cement anchors.

We join our protagonist standing under the collapsing structure adding weight to the least-secure end:

Intermediate scrap lumber to stabilize it while we go to home depot:

Safety third, visualizing our saw horse as well as in service wood trimming:

Picked up (4) 8' 4x4, (3) 16' 2x6, (2) 8' 2x6 (currently unused) at home depot, accidentally set down the anchors somewhere and forgot them until we got home. Oh and a shitload of various length torx head screws.

The "finished" product, 4 of the 4x4's, 2 of the 16' 2x6's:

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 5, 2016

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

OSU_Matthew posted:

Well, hey, look on the bright side... Judging by the shade of the grass, at least you don't have to worry about rain anytime soon! :v:

Glad you were able to salvage it--looks good!

I'm doing my part for the California drought! (And the sprinklers broke.)

Thanks! Someone had to supervise!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

High Lord Elbow posted:

RIP load-bearing Christmas lights. Did you check the tensile strength of high-gauge copper wiring? It might have held.

I'm fairly certain that after a loud creek in the morning the light strings were structural.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

It says basically all of the companies are "under administration" (aka bankrupt) - is this a standard tactic like in the USA where a shell corp with no assets owns all of the liability but owes shell corp construction services corp a mountain of "debt" for building the high rise? The owers sue the shell corp, it goes bankrupt, and that's it despite the builder walking away with a mountain of profit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

Like a truck stop bathroom.

Tell us more about your competitive truck stop bathroom making GBS threads experiences.