Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

spog posted:

No working handbrake.

This allowed him to make hillstarts

Wait wait wait...a supposed "car enthusiast" couldn't do a hill start without using the handbrake?

I think I've only used mine on hills, like, 10% of the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Wasabi the J posted:

1000/1000 for $110 :smuggo:

It's Centurylink though :negative:

150/150 for $45, could get 1Gbps/1Gbps for only $70 if I wanted. :smug:

And it's a local municipal telecom. :smugdog:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Woke up this morning to an EXTREMELY cold house. I know I switched the thermostat from off to heat, and when we did the inspection in the summer the firnace worked fine (drat things brand new.) So why wasn't any hot air coming out? Or any air at all, for that matter?

Circuit breaker was fine. Ok, well, maybe someone accidentally hit the furnace emergency cut off switch. Uhhh...where the gently caress is it? I look all around the basement and the bottom floor to no avail.

Until I remember this:

(sorry for poo poo photo.)

I know the upper, left-most switch is the downstairs hallway light. I assumed the lower switch was for the lone outlet in the hallway. Nope...that's the emergency cut-off switch, rocking a standard face-plate.

So either I, my girlfriend, or our houseguest turned it off. My guess is the houseguest since my girlfriend and I know what switch is the light and wouldn't have a need to flick the other "mystery" switch, where I can see her fumbling around for the correct switch.

Either way, off to the hardware store today to get a proper face-plate...and some popcorn, because God-bless local hardware stores with sell-serve popcorn machines. :getin:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

Hell, Kasteins house had like 6 layers and it's totally fine :)

Holy Hell, how did the roof not collapse?! That's a poo poo-ton of weight. The picture Enourmo posted looks like a fairly flat roof, so I can only assume it's an an area that doesn't get snow.

I spent all my high school, and a couple college, summers working for my uncle, who was a private contractor. Private contractor in summer in New England means ROOFS! Lots and lots of ROOFS! I really, REALLY learned to hate other contractors who layered shingles. They're a bitch to remove.

He never layered, so I got that ingrained in me. I know my roof will need replacing in 3-4 years, and as much as I want to half-rear end it (especially if I'm not going to stay in the house more than 10 or so,) I won't. cause plans change. Maybe I'll decide to just keep upgrading and stay forever, or the market sucks to buy, or a million other reasons why I'm the one who gets stuck with the roof when it;'s time to replace them AGAIN and now I have to remove two layers worth.

Plus, the plywood on the roof is original from the mid 70's, so it's only 1/4". So I guess when I replace the roof might rear end well go whole hog and rip that up and replace it, too.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Tigntink posted:

I had to remove particle board from under the linoleum in the bathroom when I gutted it. The concept of putting particle board in wet conditions just kind of blew me away. It was gross >< I guess it would have been fine if it was sealed better, better cared for, what ever.

I wonder what's worse...particle board as sub-floor in a kitchen or bath, or carpet as the actual floor material.

Honestly, it blows me away that this was (is?) ever done.

I've lived in one place that had a carpeted bathroom when I was renting a house w/ four other people. Thankfully, my room had a private bath, but the main bathroom was carpet. Even though the shower was rarely used (3 bedroom house,) there was nothing we could do to stop mold, mildew, and actual loving mushrooms from growing. Nastiest loving thing ever.

And just the other week, my girlfriend and I discovered our home has carpet underneath the current linoleum in the kitchen, because I guess ripping it out was too loving hard.

Christ, it's carpet, it comes up so easily! It's not like removing old bathroom floor tiles!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

nota posted:

Ooh yeah, that makes sense. They're kinda useless anyways, most people have more than enough chargers.

While I have plenty of chargers, I bought an outlet with a USB charger built in because I'm so sick of having plugs, chargers, etc... that jut out from the wall. When you have a charger that's 2 inches long, PLUS the end of the SUB cord that's another inch or so, it gets annoying.

I also got a right-angle adapter so that the cord will end up coming out straight down.:

Yeah, it'll block access to the bottom outlet, but I don't care, I won't use it. It's for right behind my bed's headboard, so I want it to be as flush as possible, and the only thing plugged in will be my and my GF's phones.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

nota posted:

Wait, you were sick of having stuff jutting out of the wall so you got an USB outlet and... Added an adapter that juts out of it ?

I think we're all in agreement that the absolute worst way is like this:

That's with a regular outlet, standard USB charger where the port is on the end. That's sticking too far out from the wall, especially when I have my bed pushed up against it. It'll cause damage to the cord and charger.

But if I just get the outlet and plug in my cord, it'll be like this:

That's still sticking the cord straight out, which can still cause damage.

The adapter sends the cord straight down:

Much better.

Edit: Yeah, I've seen some USB wall chargers that are actually right-angled already, or I could have tried to find a USB cable that was a right-angled USB A at one end and a micro USB at the other, but eh. What's done is done.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 24, 2015

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

mshade posted:

Saw these a few weeks ago, usb charger faceplate, no wiring necessary. They look interesting. There is a metal clip on the back of the faceplate that hugs the wiring screws on the sides of the outlet. I'm not sure how robust of a connection that is but I'm guessing it passed some type of code to be a product.

https://www.snappower.com/snappower-chargers/

drat, that actually could have been almost perfect.

Though $20, and only has 1 USB port? C'mon, SnapPower, you could easily fit two on there!

Edit: Oh, regarding real actual crappy construction:

Bought the house in August. In the bathroom is a window in the shower area that is just COVERED in caulk. Like...every seam, every seal, even COMPLETELY covering the window latches. It was even squirted down between the stile and channel (do I have that terminology right?)

Obviously, the previous owner was concerned about water getting in there, but this was overkill...or that is, would be overkill if he didn't do such a poo poo job. Pieces were falling apart when we moved in, and we could see it was done in layers, and there was mold under the most recent layer peeling up.

This weekend, we finally got around to scraping off as much as we could, and water was TRAPPED inside the sill. A lot of it, too. VERY mildew-y. Thankfully, it doesn't seem to have gotten in the wall, simply going off the fact that the water was all still THERE and wasn't draining away anywhere.

So now we're unsure what to do next. Temporarily, there's some plastic taped over it. I think we'll just have to get it completely replaced, because it was a poo poo installation job. The window wobbles in the...casing? Jamb? Frame? Whichever, and the window doesn't stay open. I mean, everything else in this bathroom was a half-assed, lovely looking DIY job, so I guess it makes sense the window was, too. That's probably why all the caulk. Got the window in, realized it was a poo poo job, and rather than re-do it or get a professional, just used three tubes of silicone.

Here's my GF removing some of the last of it after we got the drat thing open:

You can also the lovely frosted applique/decal thing that was full of bubbles halfway through its removal. And yes, that's a bead of caulk around the edges of the frosted applique, as well.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 24, 2015

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

KillHour posted:

Was that tile installed by someone with Parkinson's, or what?

Edit: That's not fair. I'm sure someone with Parkinson's could do a much better job.

Oh man, when I get home, I can take some pictures that make THAT portion of the tile job look good!

The bathroom was originally the first thing on our list to renovate, but the fence in the backyard went south a LOT sooner than we expected, so that's #1 this spring. We could "piece-mail" it and just replace the one side that's really bad now, and the rest later, but easier to get it all done in one go.

Edit: Here we go.

Just inside the doorway, next to the sink:

(sorry for the Dutch angle.)

To the left of the sink, above toilet:

Even the drat toilet paper holder is poo poo:

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 25, 2015

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, the previous homeowner, in his infinite frugality, decided he didn't need to spend an extra $20 on things like tile spacers, a level, or even just a god-drat sort-of-straight piece of wood from the scrap pile at Lowe's to just push up against the tiles to straighten them out.

The bathroom is definitely the worst of his DIY jobs, but ther's still plenty of other crap we have to deal with, including:

Painted counters in the kitchen. The existing ones look original (from the 1970's,) and we can see they were originally pink, so while baby blue is a little better, the paint is stained and chipping in several places.
A microwave above the stove that's about a foot too high. I don't know about you, but I don't care for taking hot soup out of a microwave that's almost above my head.

A few rooms have ethernet cables in them...great! Except he just drilled holes in the drywall and threaded them through...no need for things like wall plates or conduit or even properly rated interior wall cables, right?

He actually painted some other rooms pretty well (from a technical point of view), but his color choices were...questionable:

This was one of the walls in the master bedroom. Our theory was that he didn't have enough yellow or red leftover from other rooms to paint this wall, so he just smeared them together...or something.

For optimal clashing, the other 3 walls in the bedroom were blue:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

some texas redneck posted:

On top of what Ashcans said, the plug for an electric stove is at least a couple of inches deep. Electric stoves often can't sit flush because of that. And if the house was originally set up for a gas range, the outlet box for the stove may be surface mount, which brings it out a couple of more inches (minimum).

I wish it was sett up for a gas stove. Just a crummy install job of the plug and outlet when it was originally built.

At some point we'll upgrade the stove to gas, but as said, the fence falling apart and the bathroom needing remodeling take priority over the kitchen. The only benefit of that stove is that it was built before things like "efficiency" and "safety" so it actually heats up as shitload faster than any other electric I've ever used.

What annoys me is that the house HAS gas lines! The furnace and water heater are on natural gas, have been since the place was built, near as I can tell. But I guess piping gas a few feet up into the kitchen was too much work. So now when we remodel the kitchen we'll have to pay to get a gas line into there. It's on an exterior wall, too, so that makes it even more fun to pay for a gas line up there. Luckily, the current gas line runs very near where the stove is now, so shouldn't be too hard/expensive? I hope?

Hell, they had the foresight to put a gas line on the exterior of the house so I can install a natural gas grill if I want, but didn't bother with one for the kitchen. WTF?

I also had a lot of fun this weekend just trying to install that drat USB outlet.

The outlet I was replacing was NOT on the circuit listed as "Master Bedroom" in the breaker box. The rest of the outlets and light were, but not that one. Ok, it shares a wall with another bedroom, so must be on that circuit...great, that bedroom isn't listed on the panel, only half the rooms are. So went through all the breakers to find out what does what and labeled them myself.

At first it looked like NONE of the breakers controlled that other bedroom. Found the one for the kitchen lights and outlets (stove was already labeled,) one of the living room, the office, the downstairs rooms (of course, one of the downstairs rooms has two different breakers for outlets and lights.) but it didn't look like any of them controlled that drat second bedroom + outlet. So I figured it had to shared with a breaker for a room I already flipped. Yup...the second bedroom and that one outlet are on the same cicruit as the living room outlets...despite being just about as far away from the living room as possible, and there being, from what I could tell, 2 15 AMP breakers in the box that are unused.

But even then I couldn't install that outlet because after removing the old one, I found out it isn't grounded...no ground wire in the outlet box as far as I could tell. I was willing to live with that since, as said, the only thing I planned to plug into that didn't use ground, but the outlet box is so small the only-slightly-larger-than-normal USB outlet wouldn't fit in it. :mad:

It might have been able to fit if there wasn't so much excess wire in the box, but I couldn't push them out of the box because they were secured in place with a clamp of some kind that I couldn't access. So the only way to fix all the crap wrong with this outlet would involve making a large square hole in the drywall between the studs, replace it, and put a piece of drywall back, and attempt to tape, mud, sand, and paint it to look good...and I can't be bothered to do that. Since the outlet has no ground, I decided it's best to not use it at all, really. I put wire nuts over the existing wires and put one of those blank switch plates over it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Good lord, the heat response would be horrendous, why bother at that point?

"Ok, got my rice at a boil, time to turn it down to a simmer."
*ten minutes later solid disk of iron finally cools down enough to allow a simmer*

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Well, there was that one goon who had a house with a large knothole in the floor that went to his crawlspace (I guess it was an old house with no subfloor?) and he said he frequently would lie down on the floor with his wiener in the hole and piss into his crawlspace, and then get a laugh when he realized his dogs like to get in the crawlspace and maybe he was pissing on them.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Stolen from Reddit:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

packetmantis posted:

How the gently caress...

I'm guessing someone ordered the wrong-length handrail for the ramp on the right, and rather than, you know, get the right length or mayve try to cut and weld that one to fit better, they said "gently caress it."

Fake edit: Actually, now that I look closer, that's not even part of the handrail for the ramp. You can see the blue handrail for the ramp there on the right and it doesn't look like it connects in any way to that...thing. I really want a picture from the other angle to see what's going on there.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Ashcans posted:

jelly beans.

Hey, those are Jelly Bellys* for, like, half the normal price per pound. It's a steal!

But then you get them home and you swear half of the fuckers are licorice and buttered popcorn so was it really worth it?

*How do I pluralize that in this context? Normally it'd be "Bellies", but since it's a proper noun, does that change it? Obviously I thought so, but nothing I put down looks right.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

You guys are really over thinking this, all he needs to do is flip the house.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

It took me a little while to realize that isn't just a bad patch job over a hole in the wall.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

kid sinister posted:

Oceans are funny like that.

Rivers, too:
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/news/local/2016/05/25/fundraiser-started-displaced-family/84901996/

This is maybe 1/4 mile from my house. Thankfully, the way the river and street curve, I'm nowhere near it myself and am (in theory) in no danger of my yard and foundation falling down an embankment.

The residents (just renters, owners live in FL) had 20 minutes to go back in and get what they wanted/needed. In some ways it's worse than a fire, because at least then it's all at once, and you're just like "welp, all gone."

But to have to formulate a plan like some kind of deranged Supermarket Sweep to run through your own home picking and choosing what to save?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Nitrox posted:

I lost it at the cheapest carpet home depot has to offer... in the dining room. Nowhere else in the house. Dining room. This is what happens when you and designer snorting coke during the whole process. Look at the trail of grease from kitchen to the dining room table, it's beautiful.

Edit: I think that's a 7' ceiling there also.

I'm the 4 different styles of ceiling lights.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

If it's good enough for a baby's bath water...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIUJWIT9GrU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Dragyn posted:

Southern New England (MA and RI at least) have DigSafe. It's a boring name.

Same in VT. Wonder if it's for all of New England.

Though my boss found out last summer that DigSafe only does gas lines (and maybe electrical cables? Not really a lot of those around here anyway,) and you also have to call the local water utility for any water or sewer pipes separately. Thankfully they found the pipe WITHOUT busting into it, but could have been much worse.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Good God.

I like the combo of bathroom carpet AND low-profile/walk-in-tub without any shower curtain. Really maximize the amount of water damage and mildew on that floor.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Welp, that one section of my fence that was in real bad shape finally gave up the ghost from a whole mess of wind Saturday night:

In getting it out of there and stacked up in a pile to be taken away, I"m actually amazed it stayed up as long as it did. Every board is so absurdly rotten. The posts rotted off at the ground level and that's what finally caused it to fall. I've only owned the home for about a year, the previous owner did zilch in terms of maintance in it, it looks like. And it wasn't painted very well originally, either. From what I can tell, it looks like one, maybe two, layers of paint, no primer. And I"m not entirely convinced the posts were pressure-treated. They're so rotten now it's hard to say.

Thankfully, a contractor is already lined up to replace it, just waiting on my town's absurdly long permitting process.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Economic Sinkhole posted:

You need a permit to replace an existing fence? Lame.

Yup. The permitting process in my city is absurd. Here's a reply I made about it in another thread:

quote:

I have to fill out a zoning and land use permit from the Zoning Board, part of the Department of Planning and Zoning.

That requires photographs of my property and my neighbors, photos of the new fence, including descriptions of the visual style, size, material, and color. And a site plan of the subject property, that is accurate and to scale, including the following, as applicable:
  • Identifying information including the record owner of land, north arrow, date (including any revision dates)
    and scale (recommended at not smaller than 1 inch equals 40 feet);
  • Lot dimensions and location of property lines, abutting streets, the location and dimensions of the
    existing house and driveways;
  • Location of the proposed fence per Sec 6.2.2(m) Landscaping and Fences, (i.e. clear sight triangle and
    setback as indicated on page 2).
  • Location and ownership of rights-of-way or easements affecting the property;
  • Required setbacks from property lines and/or public rights-of-way;
  • Grading changes with minimum 5 ft. contours

Oh, and a $50 application fee.

Once that's approved, then I have to fill out and apply for a construction and building permit from the Department of Public Works. Basically, the same stuff all over again. Description of the work, name of the contractor, construction plans, etc... And another fee, $8.50 per $1000 of estimated costs, $30 minimum.

And THEN, once the new fence is in, I go back to the DPW to get a building inspector to come out and issue the final inspection to close out the building permit.

And finally, I contact the Code Enforcement Office to get a code officer to come out and issue a Unified Certificate of Occupancy. Yes...a certificate of occupancy for a fence. Oh, and that's another $35 fee.

Economic Sinkhole posted:

I recently replaced a section of fence not much bigger than what your picture shows myself. I spent one Saturday removing the broken fence and digging out the old footings, then the next weekend deepening the holes, setting posts and building the new fence and gate. If you're even remotely handy, building a fence is an easy and very satisfying project.

Eh, fencing in late October or early November in VT isn't my idea of a fun time. It's cold, often rainy. Plus, I don't have a truck so I'd have to borrow one for a few weekends in a row to haul away the old fencing, bring in the new one, etc...

And there's a good amount of fence...almost 200 feet worth, so that is a LOT of trips to the waste transfer station with just my dad's little Tacoma. Or I guess rent a construction dumpster. Still more effort than I want or have time to expend.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Nitrox posted:

Fence guy, what kind of terrible city do you live in, that replacing existing fence with an exact same fence requires a permit? I mean yes, city will be happy to take your money and issue construction permit for anything, but doing what you do is the last thing L&I will ever bother to pursue. I'd go ahead and start building if I were you. It's a ship of Theseus kind of situation, you should be allowed to repair existing structure, even if it ultimately replaces 100% of it.

Oh, repairing it wouldn't need a permit, from what I can tell. Replacement may or may not. In my case it does.

If it's getting replaced with the same size, style, material, and same location, no zoning permit is needed (though a construction permit still is.) I'm changing the style slightly, and the material is going from wood to vinyl, so I need a zoning permit.

The zoning permit one is the real bitch. It takes like 3 weeks to get, because of a mandatory state-required 15 day appeal period after it gets approval.

I wish I knew why it was such a hassle, or why they can't just streamline it into one single application/permit process instead of the two slightly-related-but-technically-different permit processes they have now.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Super Waffle posted:

Oh god damnit I was wracking my brain trying to figure out WHY and now it makes sense. First receptacle in the series has to be GFCI, so I guess it technically meets the letter of the code but not the spirit.

Ugh.

But aren't bathrooms also supposed to be on their own circuit/breaker?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Everybody loving stop what they're doing, and watch Cody's Lab.

We could take bets on what Cody will die of first.

Crushing injuries when the abandoned mine on his property collapses on him?
Heavy metal poisoning from all the mercury (and probably arsenic and who knows what else) he handles?
Cyanide or some other chemical poising?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

there wolf posted:

Something something fashion police. Those curtains are hideous.

They'd be slightly better without that "old lady" valence at the top, but yeah, still not great. That orange doesn't go with vomit-green walls.

Edit: Let's add some real content:
Made a Hidden secret staircase to access my dungeon Cinema

A big hole who's edge extends in front of a doorway? Shouldn't be an issue. You'll see why later.

Who needs floor joists?

When it comes to ladders, you want the oldest wood you can find.

See what I mean? A slapped-together plywood box held together with cheap shelving brackets solves that pesky "hole in the floor" problem.

Don't be alarmed that the ladder is barely held in place, because the ladder is so close to the opposite wall, that even if came loose and fell backwards, you'd only go about a foot.

See?
The ladder is actually a clever design to make sure that No Fat Chicks can enter his cool rape dungeon basement cinema.

I briefly looked at his original album from when he first built the basement cinema (http://imgur.com/a/BE9ra), and by itself it doesn't look that bad (but I'm certainly no contractor or inspector)? It's converted from a glorified crawlspace that is accessed by a sort of storage shed from outside the home, so I guess the biggest concern would be moisture, but I don't think he altered anything structurally.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 6, 2017

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Help! I accidentally ended up in the kickass construction thread.

drat, that crawlspace is nicer than most basements.

And it said it was Minnesota...why wouldn't they just have done a full basement? Are basements not a thing in Minnesota? I thought most northern states tended to go basement over crawlspace because of the weather.

Though I guess in this case it's not like most crawlspaces that are uninsulated foundation over dirt, so it probably functions as well as a full basement.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Ignoranus posted:

There's a ton of other, really cringe-inducing, stuff in there that just doesn't quite fit this thread so well.

And to think, people laughed when they made this connector:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

I'd buy the heck out of a glass front dishwasher.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

https://imgur.com/a/OFVfk

Wow...just...hot drat.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Good lord, I need to find the previous owner of my home and smack him.

He did almost nothing right with any of his projects. The bathroom is the worse thing...one of these days I'll take pictures of everything in there to post here (I think I've done a few, but almost every inch has something wrong, I swear.)

But today, it's the half set of stairs leading from our entrance to the basement. My GF is home today and we talked about ripping up a crummy rug that was on them and then just re-painting them, since some paint is chipping/peeling off the edges of the stairs.

Here's what it looks like post rug (and also post-caulk, since there were some LARGE gaps, according to her, which probably also contributed to the massive drafts/coldness we always felt.):

Like...holy poo poo, how loving lazy are you that you avoid what is probably a whopping 2 extra minutes of painting because you're going to put a rug down? A rug that, I might add, was not properly installed, either. It was just a regular hallways running rug that almost, sort-of, fit on those stairs. You see how the top riser is painted white? That's because the rug stopped short by like 6 inches. It was also just lazily stapled in a few times on each step and riser..no tackless strips, no padding, nothing.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

OSU_Matthew posted:

Honestly, if that's the worst you've got, I'd be counting my blessings. Some invisible unpainted area is much better than miswired outlets arcing, plumbing/exterior flashing screw ups or notching load bearing floor joists, all of which compromise the structure itself.

Oh, it's not the worst by a long shot. As far as I know, nothing is bad electrically or structurally, at least. Some of the plumbing in the bathroom might be crummy, since everything else in there is so bad, though.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

As promised, here is the absolute dog-poo poo remodel job the previous owner did in my bathroom.

When we were negotiating price, he actually tried to use the remodeled bathroom as a positive and as a reason for his higher-than-average asking price. We were able to knock the price down after we pointed out he did a terrible job and we'd basically have to spend a bunch of money to redo it ourselves.

We probably would have remodeled it last summer, but massive winds completely destroyed our fence, which we knew was failing, but the home inspector and us thought we could get a couple more years out of. Guess we were wrong.

Sorry in advance that my bathroom is dirty, after I looked at the photos I went and cleaned it.

Imgur album:
http://imgur.com/a/AguyZ

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

HardDiskD posted:

I think I'm reading too much McMansionHell because I can't help but notice the tiny, fake shutters.

Quick question, because I see this complaint a LOT around here:

What's with the hate for fake shutters? Obviously, the ones on this house are too small (as are the ones on most McMansions because it seems people love GIANT windows), but don't MOST homes have fake shutters?

Surely you don't suggest someone put REAL shutters on their house, do you? Unless you live in hurricane or tornado country, seems unnecessary.

And having nothing on the sides of the windows looks more out of place/"naked" to me than even the small, fake, shutters. I took a look at the houses in my block and they have either fake shutters, or nothing. The ones with nothing look worse.

So what is one supposed to put on the side of their windows? :confused:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

flosofl posted:

Wait, what? You can't line dry laundry in California?

I'm assuming he's taking the piss, but a LOT of HOAs (which are everywhere in California) prohibit line drying clothes, yes.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

So I've posted about my poo poo bathroom here in before http://imgur.com/a/AguyZ but the one thing that I didn't post in that album is the window.

The window is it's own special kind of Hell. When we moved in, it was just COVERED in caulk. All across where the window casing met the tile (which is fine, that should be caulked, right?), all along where the edge of the glass met the stile (?), on top of the sash, completely covering the latches, and even in the jamb. Like, over an entire tube's worth in and around the window, if I had to guess. Obviously, this made it impossible to open. The caulking job also wasn't that good, we could see mold/mildew growing, and we knew water was still getting in there.

We had more pressing matters to take care of first, so we ripped off all the caulk, got the mold and water out of there, and then then just put a thick piece of plastic sheeting over the whole thing that I periodically take down to check is still water tight and replace.

Well this summer we're finally dealing with it, but I'm not sure what the best way is. But in the meantime, you guys get to enjoy my misery by proxy.

Here's the window in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4BTbmm5Nhc

The bottom sash is somehow loose in the jamb (is that the right terminology?)

How can something like this even happen? I have only one theory...it's supposed to be a sliding horizontal window.

The only proof I have is that when we took the lower sash out (because yes, it's so loose it comes out) the right side looks like this:

Those little cut outs on the side are empty. Nothing in them.

The left side looks like this:

Those are basically little "wheels" or rollers or whatever you call them.

A little better look at them:

And on the outside, the right side (and only right side, i.e. the left side on the inside) has these little slots:

Close up:

Is it possible this was meant to be a sliding window?

I tried to get the model number from the tag on the sash but it's too faded to read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

Oh no, that's a witch window. They do that on purpose. It's a tradition in Vermont.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_window

http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/vermont/witch-window-vt/

Don't know if it's irony or not, but that is where I live...