Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
Did the magic spell that supported the piece in between finally run out? I can't imagine how they pulled out the bottom bricks without the rest of it falling immediately. Brick ties aren't that strong, and most people don't use enough/any in the first place. I hope I never become a landlord, because I'd hate to have to become that cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe

wargamerROB posted:

I can't imagine anyone being that lazy.
Well, having worked in many houses, I can tell you that people are indeed that lazy. :) The first thing that comes to mind is a bathroom that we gutted. In the wall cavity behind the vanity was a heaping pile of safety razors. Apparently the slots that held the shelves in the medicine cabinet were the perfect size to stick used blades.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe
I learned something new, then. :) It's still a stupid idea, though.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe
They're also used to reinforce masonry walls from bowing out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchor_plate

Obviously not the sheet-metal versions that are in every booth at antique malls.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Agreed, also if the gate likes to sag, consider putting a diagonal board on the backside that goes from the lower outside corner to the corner with the top hinge. Lift the gate into place/shim it up at the right height that you want first, of course, or you'll just lock it in the sagging position.

Several old books I've read, and Roy Underhill, say to do the opposite. Go from the bottom hinge to the top outside corner. The reasoning is you can notch the diagonal into the horizontals to give it strength beyond the mechanical fasteners. I've done it both ways before I read that, so I don't know if it really makes that much difference, but then again none of my doors are two hundred years old.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe
Don't call a repairman. That could cost you thousands!

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe

Thanks. I spent two hours browsing that site, and several linked sites, and several other things I googled because of it. :argh:

Papercut posted:

36" long power bus with #16 wire :lol: :supaburn:

It would be great for LED Christmas lights. It was just ahead of its time.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

So, uh, about those workshop plans.

The highlighted board is a rafter tie whose top is exactly 1/3rd of the way up the rafter. Well, I haven't modeled the tapers onto the ends of the tie so it butts up against the rafters properly, but you get the idea. The main thing is, it's 12' 6" long. Technically this is fine -- the code's limit for 2x6 rafter ties made from SS-grade Douglas fir is 13' (from the "uninhabitable attics with limited storage" table, R802.4(2)). I still feel like a) I'm going to have to pay through the nose for SS-grade 2x6s that are at least 12' 6" long, and b) I'm cutting it pretty fine, limits-wise.

When you say 1/3 the way up the rafter, is that from the top plate, or from the end of the rafter? Because the tie does nothing for the unsupported ends that hang out over the wall. (More info here with the relevant 2006 IRC sections listed. Maybe it's changed since then.)

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe

It's from the top plate. I know at least a little about how forces are distributed.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound condescending, I just wanted to make sure. I deal with a lot of people who don't know anything that they didn't see on HGTV.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe
Or the funniest option: they shingled up one side, over the top, and right down the other side. Does the roof only leak on one side of the house? :haw:

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

CAFCI breakers

Haven't heard of these yet, so I looked them up. So every time I plug my laptop or tablet transformer in, I'm going to have to go reset the breaker because they arc? How do they work with brushed motors? I already have enough trouble with regular GFCIs and AFCIs when I run certain tools. Glad they cost 5-10 times as much as a standard breaker.

And of course they're going to be mandatory soon. PROGRESS :downsgun:

Edit: Never mind, I read a different article that said it shouldn't trip on those arcs. I just have terrible luck, I guess.

One Legged Ninja fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Oct 3, 2014

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe

Laminator posted:

So, who wants to inspect my deck?

Motronic (or any of you other code savvy people), maybe you can set me straight, but I thought if it was less than 30" from the ground you didn't need a railing, therefore the railing along the deck is just fine and dandy, it's only the stair railing that isn't good. Also since it's pressure treated wood it's fine with being on the ground, other than sinking down when you step on it.

Of course local building codes, yadda yadda...

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe
I was close at one time to building a garage with a full second floor, plus attic, and a full basement. And a 50 ft shooting range on the back.

It was going to have a woodshop upstairs, a metal shop downstairs, and even a place to park cars!

One Legged Ninja fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 18, 2014

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe
Close as in I have the land, and had it perc tested for the septic system that I needed to put a bathroom in the garage. Then it flooded and ruined the trailer that I was going to live in while I built the house. Then I ran out of money. But I still have the blueprints on my computer somewhere.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe

Javid posted:

This would be my suggestion since all the ugly old holes will be on the basement side.

This is easy to fix, just cut the mortises out square, and glue patches in. Fit them tight enough, and a little wood putty and paint will make it all but disappear.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe
The average floor in this thread?

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe
Just to beat a dead horse, the city of Venice, Italy is mostly built on a bunch of piles driven into the middle of a swamp. They tested a few of them a few years ago and dated them to some time in the 7th century.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe
We had one at one house that had two for the tub, two for the shower, one to mix the water, and one to close the drain. That way you could set the temperature and leave it there, and just turn the water full on or off. Of course it was an antique when my grandparents bought the house.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe

Magnus Praeda posted:

More like this, I think.

It seems like the camera is extra low, though. Going by the bricks that's only about five and a half feet high, so it's not terrible. At least you don't have to crouch down to screw the hose on. :btroll:

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe
Inexpensive skilled labor, and a good work ethic are hard to find these days. You can make more money if you slap them up and move on.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe

So the only tile jobs we see from back then are the good ones.

Good point. This also applies to just about every other aspect of building, as well. We typically only see the over built, highly ornate buildings survive this long (on this side of the pond, anyway.) The other ones probably rotted apart, and by the time the homeowners noticed, the master carpenter had removed his business from the guild and registered a new one under a different name. :haw:

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe

Shifty Pony posted:

There's a bit of hushed background talk in the softwood lumber industry about the possibility that the new horticultural methods are making the trees grow too quickly and that the lumber may not meet strength standards as a result.

That isn't just a possibility, it's almost a certainty. Half of the lumber we get in at the yard is checked down the middle from what I'm certain is growing them fast, and drying them fast. The other half is crooked. We had to try to switch suppliers because they couldn't send us any 2x12x8s that weren't 95% junk. You shouldn't be able to pick a piece of lumber out of a fresh pile, and have it break in two right off the bat.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe
Or the color of the thread they wove the jacket out of. Most of it that I've seen just has black thread with a silver paint/coating.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe
I like using enough lightswitches, but wow. I'm surprised none of them are dimmers. For when you absolutely need 847 lumens, no more, no less.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

Putting clothes hangers through wall mounted sprinklers in hotel rooms is probably the #1 "malfunction".

As a partially related tangent: One time my rifle team was headed to a competition at the Naval Academy in Annapolis, and we were passed on the highway by a bunch of firetrucks, that all exited at the same exit we were going to. We didn't think much of it, until we got to the campus, and found out we couldn't shoot yet, because someone had set their pellet rifle off pointing up in the air, and it shot the sprinkler head, which flooded the range. :jihad:

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe

One of the houses in my neighborhood is getting renovated. They got halfway through putting up new vinyl siding and then stopped for a couple of months, who knows why. The siding already has cracks and a few holes punched in it, presumably from errant tools while they were working on other bits of it.

...kind of glad I decided to use fiber cement instead of vinyl for my own siding needs, now.

This is like bizzaro world for me. I've put vinyl up on quite a few houses, and never had any problems like that, but I've handled fiber cement siding now that I'm working in a lumber yard, and that stuff is just miserable to work with. Fragile, heavy, dusty. As long as it isn't around freezing I can throw vinyl around, bend it in a circle, whatever. You just have to avoid the thinner, cheaper lines.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe
They're 8"x8"x16" blocks, so probably not.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe
Hey, conduit = metal. Downspout = metal. At least he isn't exceeding the maximum number of conductors allowed. :science:

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe
Edit: oops, I was replying to the next post up. ^^^

How much would any other spiral staircase cost, though? Assuming you were going for something with an aesthetic value, and not just a pre made cookie cutter kit. Even then they start out at around $600 online.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe

Geirskogul posted:

Still expensive, but I bet you could DIY it easily enough. Downside is you probably don't get a tax credit by DIYing.

Certainly not, plus you have to use a "certified" installer, i.e: a contractor that paid the government enough to be put on the list, and who may or may not have sent one guy to an hour long seminar where they told him not to drill through wires when installing, and then tested him on the exact dates the legislation went into effect, and what the governing body's acronym stands for. /rant.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

What kind of gas is being run in copper? Is that actually a thing?

LP gas is allowed in copper.
Edit: with some caveats.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe
Also keep in mind that anything else that sucks air out of the house is probably going to be drawing that air from the easiest source, i.e. the gaping hole that is the chimney, and any cold air supply to the fireplace. Things such as the dryer, the bathroom exhaust fan, the range hood, the central vac system, etc. Turning those off until you get the chimney hot will help at the start.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe

atomicthumbs posted:

there was nothing like that in the house due to the previously pictured electrical panel problems
Oops. My reading comprehension are good.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe
We have a similar thing on one breaker at work, but it's a legit, purpose made piece of stamped steel. I was under the impression that the breaker could still trip, but you can't shut must-stay-on circuits off by accident.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

Wouldn't it be better to just have a switchless thingie in the first place?

I don't know what that circuit runs, but I mean you can't switch the breaker off. Obviously if it trips you need to be able to turn it back on, so you'd have to unscrew the metal device first. At that point you'd probably want to go see why it tripped, though.

I found a helpful blog post with video. His lock can lock it on or off.

One Legged Ninja fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 11, 2016

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe
It would prevent someone from cutting power to the beer fridge mission critical equipment, either accidentally or maliciously, while still providing overcurrent protection. If it trips, pulling the screw out to reset the breaker is only going to add a few seconds to the process.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe

kid sinister posted:

Mains ground and neutral are connected together. It would take a very specific set of loose connections for all the power to travel not back to the power company and down that wire instead, but it could happen.

In which case the boy would have completed the circuit when he ripped out the ground. The only way this could have started is by power jumping the gap to something that's not supposed to take current, while the neutral was poorly/un-connected, and the ground was only conducting enough to spark, but not to shock someone. In which case the fault should lie on whichever meathead was working on the wiring last. Unless they can prove the kid knew that what he was doing would cause something inside to start a fire, how is this arson, instead of just a kid being ignorant of the construction trade?

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe
Spare us? This is the Crappy Construction thread.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe

Boogalo posted:

One of the switches next to the door in the master bedroom also kills power to the bathroom lights so the switches in there stop working and this is the only switch that does this.

This got lost on the last page, so here's my guess: whoever wired up the switches in the bathroom took power from master bedroom switches, but connected to the line that is switched, instead of the line that always has power. Swapping them is (usually) easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Fun Shoe

HardDiskD posted:

I think that I'm the horror, but I'd be okay with this house if I were the only one living there, kitchen toilet aside.

If you were living by yourself, who would really care if you took a leak while your takeout was being delivered?

Edit: Derp.

One Legged Ninja fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 26, 2017