Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

That bathroom has no toilet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sagebrush posted:

What do they mean by "party-sized shower?"

Is this some kind of code phrase that means the sellers are DTF?

e: aa what the gently caress. You beat me, but my post time is 1 minute before yours??

Oh good, the forums are now moving back through time.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Personally I'd rather see the bathroom broken up if it's going to take that much space. Maybe have a hub with the sinks and mirrors, and then little rooms that have the toilet, the shower, and the tub. That way someone can have a nice long soak in the tub without blocking access to the toilet for an hour.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

endlessmonotony posted:

Carpet ceilings are the perfect solution to both showing off your wealth AND having the much superior option of hardwood floors.

And you never have to vacuum!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Suspect Bucket posted:

Oh my god that is disgustingly shiny. Footprints would show up immediately.

Hopefully they like area rugs. Lots and lots of area rugs.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

peanut posted:

I like it. Am... I the bad person? I was thinking of something similar to that to make a partition for a storage area.

There is nothing wrong with partitions. Just don't be a dumbass about it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Did anyone even live in 80s time capsule house? Everything looks to be in perfect condition, including the wallpaper and upholstery.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Chemmy posted:

I like the idea that a bunch of goons only live in houses designed by contemporary architects, filled with important heirloom furniture placed by interior designers.

And all the upholstery stays pristine forever, because those goons have no friends and never leave their basements.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The how pink room, blue room, green room esthetic reminds me of playing The Sims. Those poor Sims.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Looks at beige house. Beige house is bad!
Looks at colorful house. Colorful house is bad!

Goons. Goons never changes.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Baronjutter posted:

Actually really as long as your house is fairly clean and tidy and maybe has a little effort put into things matching or working together it's fine.

Luckily all my Ikea furniture is designed to match. :smug:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Wouldn't a concrete (or marble) countertop need to be sealed somehow? It's vulnerable to acid, and over time is going to come into contact with a lot of mildly acid foods and drinks. Not enough for structural damage, but surely over the years there is a danger of etching and staining.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Beige sink, white toilet, blue tub. At least no one can criticise for being too matchy matchy.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

You people are too critical. Boo hoo, most houses are bland beige boxes devoid of character. Now here's a house with heaps of character, and you're still not happy.

Tons of character. Scads of character. Enough character for at least 10 houses. So much character.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jerry Cotton posted:

There's nothing great about watching TV while you're eating unless you live alone.

What if you just hate your family?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Youth Decay posted:

this house has gone beyond McMansion and into some weird house-performance art installation

I wonder if in a hundred years people will look at these tacky monstrosities and consider them classics and good?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

xergm posted:

The siding is throwing me off; is this sink inside or outside? :psyduck:

Insiding! :v:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I wonder how much it would cost to make a house-shaped object entirely out of silicone caulk. Maybe with strategic reinforcement from the shittiest 2x4s you can find.

Add some dye to the silicone caulk and you can make your new house look like a jello salad.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FCKGW posted:

The houses in the 50's were built like absolute garbage so all the "hurt, these new homes all gonna fall down!" is pure bullshit.

Yeah, I remember someone linking an old insurance brochure from around then. The brochure wasn't so much telling you why you should use their brand of insulation, as trying to convince you that when building a new home spending money on insulation at all was a good idea. It'll pay for itself in energy savings in just 15 years! or some such. I guess before the 70s energy crisis home insulation was an optional luxury or something?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Synthbuttrange posted:

But in the latin alphabet Huggies begins with an i...

How is this up to code?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

That moat/pool doesn't look very safe to me. There is no fence or wall around the pool itself. There's a short fence around the property as a whole, but the stone pillars look easily climbable. If a neighborhood kid snuck in and drowned couldn't he be on the hook for having an attractive nuisance? Or, you know, just their own kids playing in the yard could easily fall in and drown.

I guess that's the price you have to pay to be ready for the zombie apocalypse.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Alereon posted:

How is that thing cleaning the chimney? It looks like its just sucking air through it, how is it drawing enough to dislodge soot?

It would also be vibrating the gently caress out of that metal chimney. The vibration could dislodge stuff, maybe?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Platystemon posted:

Front doors with glass are terrible because you can’t sneak up on the door, see Jehova’s Witnesses, and sneak away without them knowing you’re home.

You can fix that. In a cheap and slightly tacky way perfect for the crappy construction thread. Cheaper than curtains!

https://www.amazon.com/Bloss-Non-adhesive-Static-Privacy-Stained/dp/B01CG60XXO

https://www.amazon.com/Rabbitgoo-Decorative-Privacy-Adhesive-Control/dp/B00RDVD56U

https://www.amazon.com/Con-Tact-Covering-Self-Adhesive-Privacy-Frosty/dp/B0179QL1OG

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Platystemon posted:

Nah, you can still see shadows through those.

Crappy Construction Solution™: put a solid layer of duck tape over the window, and install the translucent junk over that.

Goon solution: keep the shades closed on every window and never turn on any lights inside.

Walla. No backlighting, no shadows

LOL at you if you aren't so pale and sunless to be nearly translucent yourself.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

there wolf posted:

At that point I'd start looking for a way to add a ladder or pile of crates that would allow me to jump the fence.

New Mcmansionhell has something I've never seen before.

What is that tub thing?!

I think it's just a regular shower enclosure adjoining a spa tub. The gap at the bottom of the show enclosure between the shower and the tub allows the tub to overflow into the shower and down the drain instead of onto the floor if the tub is too full. Maybe a custom job.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TerminalSaint posted:

As someone who gets annoyed by a 2" gap between a facade and the ground, these columns make me want to punch someone.

Huh, they put siding on the chimney. How odd.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bozart posted:

It is also right next to the fireplace, which is in use judging by the iron set. Should be at least 3 feet away, preferably more, but they can't ever move it. That cloth cover is going to be on a fire investigator's report someday!

He's probably right hosed if that ever happens. His non-permitted not up to code alterations to the house probably void his house insurance if they cause a fire or accident some day.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Liquid Communism posted:

You -know- that builder has to have pissed in the inspector's Wheaties to get yanked around on that.

Or the neighbours complained about the "monster house" going up next door.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nice rock collection.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

knowonecanknow posted:

That's great. Were there any pictures of all the outlets?

Here is a general galery, but you can't see the outlets due to furniture: http://imgur.com/gallery/tI8ys

Here you can see he has at least three outlets above the kitchen cabinets. I have 3 outlets in my whole kitchen, and none of them are above the top cupboards.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

kid sinister posted:

That actually used to be a thing in kitchens in the 1950s-70s. There would be a single recessed outlet mounted in the soffit above the kitchen cabinets. You win a cookie if you can figure out what it was for.

Christmas lights?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Okay, sure, the house is a little eccentric. But at least the schools are nearby. Close enough to walk, even.

Terrible, terrible schools.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Neutrino posted:

That's the holder for the dick rag. I like using a bidet when it is available. If I had room in my bathroom, I'd install one. Nothing like that fresh feeling after a quick bidet wash. Much more convenient than taking off all your clothes just to wash your butthole.

You do know that you can install a butt washer into a normal toilet, right? We're living in the future here.

As little as a $40 for a basic model. https://www.amazon.com/Luxe-Bidet-Neo-120-Non-Electric/dp/B00A0RHSJO

Or a few hundred for a model that does warm water and blow dries your butt for you. https://www.amazon.com/SmartBidet-SB-2000-Electronic-Temperature-Controlled/dp/B00GIODM6G

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I like having fleshy hands. I would prefer to not become a skellington, even if it would make changing bulbs easier.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lime Tonics posted:

Millennium Tower update,

"The 58-story tower's shine faded on May 10, 2016, when Agabian attended a homeowners association meeting and was informed that the building had sunk 16 inches into the earth and tilted over 15 inches at its tip and 2 inches at the base"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-01/who-will-pay-for-san-francisco-s-tilting-sinking-millennium-tower

LOL, I was feeling sorry for these poor millionaires until I got to this part,

quote:

That’s fine for residents who want to stay put—people are “absolutely passionate about it, the service there is extraordinary, and the HOA is extremely well-run,” Lynn said—but there are many others who are hoping to move yet are unwilling to sell at fire-sale prices. “I can’t tell you what percentage down the values are,” Lynn said, “because nothing is trading.”

Currently, just three apartments are on the market: apartment 4E, which has 1,136 square feet and is listed at $1.299 million, or $1,143 a square foot; it last sold in 2013 for $915,000. There’s also penthouse 1A, which is 2,706 square feet and is listed at $8.995 million, or $3,324 a square foot; it’s been on the market since July and last sold in 2014 for $3 million. The final apartment, 14C, is a one-bedroom, one-bathroom space with 833 square feet. It’s on the market for $1.08 million, or $1,296 per square foot, and was listed in December. It last sold for $790,000 in 2012.

So they don't just want to salvage their life savings, they actually want to sell a profit. As though there was nothing at all wrong with the building. The fix could be tens of millions of dollars upfront to stop the tilt, and the owners may or may not be able to recoup some of that cost from other parties. But sure, try to make a profit on your 'investment'.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

sinky posted:

Saw this in the new Resident Evil game :ghost:

Also the crawlspace is full of dead bodies, will it pass inspection?

Grover is making video games now?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

How does that even happen? There doesn't seem to be enough "stuff" for the person to have gone through a floor. Maybe an unfinished attic type thing where you have to walk along the joists, and he didn't?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jerry Cotton posted:

Your cupboards are a piece of poo poo.

Wow. :eyepop: You're absolutely right, my cupboards suck. So does every cupboard I've ever seen IRL. Canada is way behind on cupboard technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

flosofl posted:

Is he sawing through the hardwood floor AND the subfloor? And still set the plunge deep enough to hit a pipe. You gotta *work* at incompetence like that.

E: one more. Why would he be *sawiing* the hardwood anyway (assuming he's replacing it).

Maybe he was trying to cut a trap door for his movie dungeon.