Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sagebrush posted:

Just keep in mind that when you're doing it, you don't have to swallow condoms full of industrial alcohol to smuggle back to your bunk every night. You can still do that, but you don't have to.
No, you get to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, I'm having trouble parsing the relationships here, but that looks like a fantastic bit of spite going on there. :v:

I'm guessing house on the right wants to buy house on the left because he also owns house two to the left...house on the left won't work with him, so house on the right puts up a spite fence on the actual property line, which happens to be right through house on the left's driveway because they didn't survey? Is that about it?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Those are all great. In my opinion, there aren't enough spite houses in the world.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Assuming people wanted to go crazy and lawyer up, wouldn't the smaller lot owner have some legal recourse for such an obvious attempt to devalue his property?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

There's a bit of a difference between losing your view of an empty lot in a residential neighborhood and losing your view of a lake on a lake lot, wouldn't you say? Especially when one loss is due to reasonable, normal use, and the other is due to intentional, abnormal obstruction.

I'm not saying that that means there WOULD be recourse, just that it doesn't really make sense to straight up equate the two.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I imagine part of it would depend on the topology, too. I think of Lake of the Ozarks and a lot of it is super steep cliffs leading down to the water, which ends up resulting in lots that would probably be considered lake lots even though they don't actually touch the lake. It's like stadium seating, where your ground floor is like 20 feet above your lower neighbor's 2-story peak.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm seeing a lot of nuts and such in there, could be a squirrel's hideout/trash heap you just ransacked?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm assuming it's the vent for the stove.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

MrYenko posted:

Where else is the radiation going to go? :colbert:

Your food, duh. That's how you become the hulk, by eating a thousand irradiated microwave burritos.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yes but now their trees can't see the water!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

...on Tatooine, you'd be a millionaire?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Not always, it depends on the setting. To wit: my water heater is on the concrete slab about 12" from the basement floor drain. Having a pan under it would hinder the relief of draining/leaking water more than anything else.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Liquid Communism posted:

There's a toilet in the middle of my basement that's there for exactly that reason. The rear end in a top hat that put it in left the sewage pipe for it flush with the floor, and the water leads are under concrete as well.

We just hung a sign over it saying 'Exhibitionists Only'.
You should frame it in with steel beams and put lexan walls all around. When people ask, just be cagey and change the subject.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Look, sometimes you need an outlet wherever you happen to be sitting. What if I'm hanging out on top of the cupboards and my laptop battery is running low? PROBLEM SOLVED. :colbert:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Pile of Kittens posted:

The ultimate schadenfreude for me was discovering that he had been made a mod, and suddenly everything about the forums made sense.

edit for clarity: and then de-modded, sadly

FogHelmut posted:

The ultimate schadenfreude for me was discovering that he had been made a licensed inspector, and suddenly the crappy constructions in this thread made sense.

Umm...I'm not sure either of you know what "schadenfreude" means.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Devor posted:

California is going to ban oscillating fans, aren't they :(

You can keep it but you have to aim it at a wind power generator.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

There's a chance I'll be building a house in the next 5 years. How do you avoid crazy poo poo like this? I mean, look for reviews on the contractor and all, but that only goes so far. Does it help or hurt that if I did build a house, it wouldn't be one that's going up in a tract of a hundred other matching houses being built at the same time? I don't have a problem with the "choose your blueprint" practice, but it wouldn't be an assembly-line home. Probably not a one-off custom deal, though, although that's also not outside the realm of possibility.

Just curious.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

How annoyed off would a contractor be if an owner he was building a house for showed up at the build site from time to time to have a look around? I'm not an inspector but I'd sure feel a lot better if I could actually watch the house go up in person. Maybe with a case of beer for the crew?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Okay, that's good to know. I don't even know if house-building will be a thing that soon, it all depends on where we go next and what's available, but it's a good possibility and an exciting prospect.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think it's more just that I don't really know where the line is between "checking in on things" and "god drat this guy is loving here all day every day."

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

There's also value in it getting done within a decade.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I don't know why some builders are so fascinated with making the fridge space as tight as humanly possible against their fridge. Leave 6" on a side. Fridges will fit easily so you can clean behind them without calling in a wrecking crew, you'll never miss that tiny amount of counter space, and having a slot to store a broom and sponge mop right there in the kitchen is super handy. :confused:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Especially if you have one of those side-by-side affairs. Good luck getting your sweet sweet dijorno in/out of the freezer if you can't open the doors beyond 90.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

T.Worth posted:

3b 10b red-b blue-b

Once more in english?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Because it's totally normal when drilling through a wall to see black plastic chips coming out. :downs:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Wouldn't that be above any trap to prevent sewer gasses? I don't see any signs of fluid leakage, so I'm assuming they detected the issue by way of the smell?

Details, man!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Anyhow, somethingsomethingsomething shitpost

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

No time for that, the forum needs me!

I think I owe bronzestabbed an update about downs-syndrome horsies or something, though. :(

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The best show.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

He should be properly grounded, needs a few inches of water in the tub.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

ColHannibal posted:

Get a pickaxe and start swinging.

Splizwarf posted:

Doublecheck the property lines first. :v:

Or just, you know, talk to your neighbor like a big boy and say, "Hey man, I know it sucks, but your boys paved over my lateral cleanout and we need to figure something out here."

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

In that case, be sure to attack the cement with your pick around 3AM or when said neighbor is known to be out of town. Do not, under any circumstances, determine the location of the cleanout beforehand.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

EroticRobot posted:

...how? how?? I'm in the process of house hunting right now, and I can't even imagine. Did someone put them there? Did they magically materialize? Why??? :gonk:

Undoubtedly kids.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The order went through because you told them to cancel it, and someone was hoping they could rush it and you would just buy them after all, thus not affecting whatever manager's sales numbers for the quarter.

At least, that's what the pessimistic conspiracy theorist in me says.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tora! Tora! Tora! posted:

Basically it was just attached to the wall with screws, no lag bolts through the ledger board

:stare:

Please tell me someone lost their license for that.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

How liable were the builders, though? I would sure as hell hope the remaining 90%. I mean loving come on, how can you not see that coming.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I don't think having an outlet in a drawer in and of itself is a violation, provided it's done properly. To wit: I have a commercially-made nightstand that I am sure is UL listed and all that that has an outlet in the drawer. It's super handy for charging my phone at night.

That being said, I am absolutely certain that 99.9% of the people that duplicate that pic will create a fantastic fire hazard.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I liked "install a platform on rollers under your bathroom sink so your already uncoordinated-as-poo poo kid can break an arm in a whole new way."

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nitrox posted:

What is "food safe"? Non-toxic materials? All of the plumbing items are already designed and sold with the sole purpose of running drinking water throughout your home. You're making a big deal out of nothing.

Food safe materials are those which have been approved for direct contact with food by the FDA. Not all plastics are created equal, and MANY (the vast majority) can and will leach chemicals you don't want into your food. And if you live in California, they will all be known carcinogens.

In the case of that seltzer water, it's probably fine because it looks like the only place non-food-safe materials are being used are for the air transfer. But I think in pretty much any "how to" guide involving things you're going to eat, a nice little "REMEMBER TO USE FOOD-SAFE MATERIALS" would do well.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah but exactly how many of these plastics that leach ~chemicals~ into your water do you think you're going to find in the plumbing aisle at Home Depot? 99% of the intended uses of the pipes they sell are to put water on or in human bodies. They'd be opening themselves up to huge lawsuits if they sold stuff they knew wasn't safe for tap water, even if they labeled the crap out of it.

I was more referring to the idea of using your local auto supply as a place for parts that will be used with food. Someone mentioned that, and it's a bad idea.

Like, I've seen "bar monkey automatic drink dispenser!" using windshield wiper fluid pumps. Those things leak oil and poo poo all over like mad, I would not want to eat anything that went near them.

And yeah, like kastein said, food products != water.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 25, 2014